Sox acquire Bailey....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Sox acquire Bailey....

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....":
    In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : Thanks moon....even if its $750,000-$800,000 Posted by J-BAY
    BTW, Bailey grew up Phils gan in Jersey, went to college in NY and lives in CT. Hes obviously very familiar with the way things are on east coast and Sox definitely took that into consideration. Ben said going into off-season that he puts more emphasis on makeup than Theo does, which I like...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey....:
    In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": BTW, Bailey grew up Phils gan in Jersey, went to college in NY and lives in CT. Hes obviously very familiar with the way things are on east coast and Sox definitely took that into consideration. Ben said going into off-season that he puts more emphasis on makeup than Theo does, which I like...
    Posted by jasko2248

I'm a lifelong Nutmeg state resident, as is Valentine. At least Bailey wasn't a NYY fan;) I always felt Theo did too. I remember when he traded Manny, Epstein said we want to win, but the right way with the right guys. Bailey sounded like a quality guy. very well spoken and sounded excited to be coming to Boston. Who wouldnt be?Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : I'm a lifelong Nutmeg state resident, as is Valentine. At least Bailey wasn't a NYY fan;) I always felt Theo did too. I remember when he traded Manny, Epstein said we want to win, but the right way with the right guys. Bailey sounded like a quality guy. very well spoken and sounded excited to be coming to Boston. Who wouldnt be? Posted by J-BAY
    I'm sure Theo took character into consideration, maybe Ben just meant that its more important to him. Renteria comes to mind. Tony Larussa said he's not a good fit in Boston when Sox were considering him, and he was right. Renteria hated it here. Maybe Ben was against the signing at the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": I'm sure Theo took character into consideration, maybe Ben just meant that its more important to him. Renteria comes to mind. Tony Larussa said he's not a good fit in Boston when Sox were considering him, and he was right. Renteria hated it here. Maybe Ben was against the signing at the time.
    Posted by jasko2248

Good character may not equate to a good fit. I wondered the same when they signed Crawford, after playing his entire career in Tampa.  A character guy by all accounts,  but I wondered if the pressure of a BIG market like Boston, media, fans, would prove to be too much. I hope his first year was just an off year and wasn't indicative of that. some players just aren't cut out for it, some thrive, some don't. hard to know until you try.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": I'm sure Theo took character into consideration, maybe Ben just meant that its more important to him. Renteria comes to mind. Tony Larussa said he's not a good fit in Boston when Sox were considering him, and he was right. Renteria hated it here. Maybe Ben was against the signing at the time.
    Posted by jasko2248

Tony said those things after the signing, not during considerations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

For all of you Arb-knowledgable posters, does a players injury history come into play when figuring out raises? Wasnt it the case with Ellsburry? With Bailey seeing limited innings in his years as a closer, I would imagine that it would have some affect on the dollars he sees this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Sweeny could platoon with Kalish or maybe he is a movable piece for another deal coming? Maybe to Cubs in a deal to do the compensation... Including Garza maybe?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I endorse this move

But I think think Bard and Aceves should remain in the pen (Bard ready to close in case Bailey goes down)

Get John Garland to eat innings

and let the kids battle it out to round-off the roster

do my Crawful for Wells trade

We'll be able to compete this year now, but not sure how far we'll get; that will completely rely on Beckett/Lester/Buck pitching to capability and Youk being able to stay healthy through the entire season........plus how the other teams fare - the AL West is pretty scary

and we stay at 178 million including ARB raises, 40 man roster, and medical insurance

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : Tony said those things after the signing, not during considerations. Posted by moonslav59
    Moon, I remember the EEI interview that Schilling took offense to over LaRussa's comments, but I was referring to Larussa mentioning to Renteria that Boston might not be good fit and Renteria having concerns about signing here because of it. From what I remember, the Sox figured Larussa was leaking that out because he wanted Renteria to re-sign with St. Louis.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I started to read all the "banter" and "commentary" from the littany of forum experts and frankly got bored. Everyone has an opinion but no one's opinion will impact the decisions being made at the top though.

That's not to say, "Just shut up!" it is to say, Andrew Bailey comes with credentials and a history for fragility.

I trust that Ben Cherington and Bobby Valentine have a plan and will execute it to the best of their ability.

I still expect the Sox to be out of the playoffs in 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I endorse this move But I think think Bard and Aceves should remain in the pen Get John Garland to eat innings and let the kids battle it out to round-off the roster do my Crawford for Wells trade We'll be able to compete this year now, but not sure how far we'll get; that will completely rely on Beckett/Lester/Buck pitching to capability and Youk being able to stay healthy through the entire season........plus how the other teams fare - the AL West is pretty scary and we stay at 178 million including ARB raises, 40 man roster, and medical insurance
    Posted by andrewmitch

Did you send your Happy New Year card to the Sox yet?

If not? Add your thoughts...you'll be considered for a GM position in the future.

Maybe not though.

Nevertheless, where do you come up with this stuff AND above all...Happy New Year!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": Moon, I remember the EEI interview that Schilling took offense to over LaRussa's comments, but I was referring to Larussa mentioning to Renteria that Boston might not be good fit and Renteria having concerns about signing here because of it. From what I remember, the Sox figured Larussa was leaking that out because he wanted Renteria to re-sign with St. Louis.
    Posted by jasko2248

can cuts both ways, but raises an interesting question. Upon becoming a free agent, do players consider that or just follow the money?? Is it more about ego than money?? Is the monetary benefit worth the misery?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

If the Red Sox do not make the 2012 Playoffs, hopefully, it will not be from lack of effort.  The AL East seems to be getting more competitive and the Yankees and Red Sox are going to find the Blue Jays, the Rays and even the Orioles who helped end the Red Sox season on the 162 game last September. The approach new ownership and the FO headed by Theo started an approach to draft more smartly and build the team within the organization. As long as the Red Sox are successful developing players within, the Red will compete each year.  There will always be other teams which spend more, the Yankees, the Rangers and Angels, currently and the Red Sox much continue to develop players.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

This trade could well benefit each team (as a good trade should). I suspect the Athletics are more interested in Miles Head and Raul Alcantara -- two young lower-level prospects with high ceilings -- than Josh Reddick because the A's are building for the hoped-for move to a new stadium in about three years. I give Ben Cherington high marks for the Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey trades, in part because I am averse to expensive long-term contracts to free agents. Now I want to see how Cherington acquires a potential starting pitcher or two without exceeding the luxury tax threshold.
    Posted by hill55

I couldn't agree more hill.  Ben took his time and and his determination paid off with Melancon and Bailey.  I also agree about Reddick and the youngsters possibly working out well for the A's long term. 

Another thing is the fact Ben and Beane may have established a good relationship for future moves.  The A's have brought along some good young arms over the years so it never hurts to establish a strong relationship with one of the top GM's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If this aquasition + the Melancon is any insight of things to come with BEN....then I thing we are in good hands. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : can cuts both ways, but raises an interesting question. Upon becoming a free agent, do players consider that or just follow the money?? Is it more about ego than money?? The differential would not be worth the misery that comes along with being unsuccessful. I've not accepted job offers for that reason and the extra income would mean alot more to me than them. Posted by J-BAY
    It really depends on the player and, in extreme cases, union pressure. The Sox thought they had Jason Werth done at 5/90 when the Nats stepped in and blew him out of the water. That was day Crawford's agent was really happy! Ive had other job offers as well, but I wouldnt leave my company unless the money was ridiculous. I sell product to MLB & MILB teams and one perk is I get to go to GM meetings every winter (there is a baseball trade show there). They keep the hotel bars open all night and the stories you here are pretty cool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": It really depends on the player and, in extreme cases, union pressure. The Sox thought they had Jason Werth done at 5/90 when the Nats stepped in and blew him out of the water. That was day Crawford's agent was really happy! Ive had other job offers as well, but I wouldnt leave my company unless the money was ridiculous. I sell product to MLB & MILB teams and one perk is I get to go to GM meetings every winter (there is a baseball trade show there). They keep the hotel bars open all night and the stories you here are pretty cool.
    Posted by jasko2248

Sounds like a great gig jasko, I work for NESN as an IT manager and also get to watch/hear some interesting stuff, but I think your deal is even better. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": It really depends on the player and, in extreme cases, union pressure. The Sox thought they had Jason Werth done at 5/90 when the Nats stepped in and blew him out of the water. That was day Crawford's agent was really happy! Ive had other job offers as well, but I wouldnt leave my company unless the money was ridiculous. I sell product to MLB & MILB teams and one perk is I get to go to GM meetings every winter (there is a baseball trade show there). They keep the hotel bars open all night and the stories you here are pretty cool. in the end maybe he was too nice
    Posted by jasko2248

I would imagine.Sealed My nephew went to the meeting in Dallas to interview with MLB teams to do minor league games. interviewed with tampa, nationals, blue jays and pirates. said he ran into Francona, thanked him for all he did for the sox and a 15 year old kid. (2004). francona asked him what he was doing there, he told him, tito wished him luck and said maybe he'd see him again someday. said he was very gracious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : Sounds like a great gig jasko, I work for NESN as an IT manager and also get to watch/hear some interesting stuff, but I think your deal is even better.  Posted by craze4sox
    You guys need to set up a studio in Nashville at the next winter meetings! The YES network does. I know they are obviously a monster and I'm not sure what it costs, but it would be great ratings...I'm sure working at NESN is a good gig regardless...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : I would imagine. latest case, when Pujols signed with the marlins did he consider more than the money after all those years and be so beloved in st louis??  My nephew went to the meeting in Dallas to interview with MLB teams to do minor leaugue games. interviewed with tampa, nationals, blue jays and pirates. said he ran into Francona, thanked him for all he did for the sox and a 15 year old kid. (in 2004). francona asked him what he was doing there, he told him, tito wished him luck and said maybe he'd see him again today. said he was very gracious. in the end, maybe he was too Posted by J-BAY
    Hopefully he lands a job. It's the place to go if you want to work in baseball. They have job fair first few days. Tito is a great guy. I talked to him for few minutes when he was listening to interview of the Asian SS the Yankees bid on. John Farrell is also a really nice guy. We were in line for coffee one morning and I wanted to talk about Toronto and he kept asking about my company. Pujols' wife said something like "it was God's decision, that's why we are Angels now." He was getting paid somewhere and wives are a factor. Texeira's wife having family in Jersey and her love for shopping was huge factor in their decision...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": You guys need to set up a studio in Nashville at the next winter meetings! The YES network does. I know they are obviously a monster and I'm not sure what it costs, but it would be great ratings...I'm sure working at NESN is a good gig regardless...
    Posted by jasko2248

I will have to bring that up jasco but it is a nice gig working for NESN, especially at Christmas time with the bonus and girls like Heidi who we will all miss.  I still envy you, I would love an opportunity to hang around the "winter meetings" but at least get a decent scoop on what the Sox are up too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

To all those debating the arbitration amount possibilities with Bailey, I submit that unless the thinking has changed drastically with Ben C at the helm, the Sox have not gone to an arbitration hearing since 2007 or something like that.  I would think the Sox will settle on a contract with Bailey in the 1.5 million range prior to February.  Personally, I cannot see him getting in the 3 million dollar range in 2012.

And with all due respect to andrewmitch, I think Melancon is the guy in the wings if Bailey gets hurt.  He is certainly not your mop up man and forgotten 7th inning guy (a la Wheeler) after that trade.  And don't forget, Jenks did not sign for 6 million to be the 7th inning guy, nor did the Sox sign him to be that.  He (when healthy) and Melancon will both be important late inning stoppers, and ready to take over closing role if Bailey is injured. 

Seems most likely to me that Aceves plays the Wakefield role this coming season; spot starter and long relief, but still able to come into high leverage situations when needed.  He will pitch the extra innings Bard will be short of, having just been converted to starter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : I will have to bring that up jasco but it is a nice gig working for NESN, especially at Christmas time with the bonus and girls like Heidi who we will all miss.  I still envy you, I would love an opportunity to hang around the "winter meetings" but at least get a decent scoop on what the Sox are up too. Posted by craze4sox
    I think "the Heidi perk" tops it all! Hopefully she's replaced by a similar talent. She did some guest speaking at some luncheons at a restaurant in back bay where my girlfriend is sales coordinator this summer. She looks even better in person! Even if NESN says no, ask a guy like Nick Cafardo for a badge and get down there on vacation...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

To all those debating the arbitration amount possibilities with Bailey, I submit that unless the thinking has changed drastically with Ben C at the helm, the Sox have not gone to an arbitration hearing since 2007 or something like that.  I would think the Sox will settle on a contract with Bailey in the 1.5 million range prior to February.  Personally, I cannot see him getting in the 3 million dollar range in 2012. And with all due respect to andrewmitch, I think Melancon is the guy in the wings if Bailey gets hurt.  He is certainly not your mop up man and forgotten 7th inning guy (a la Wheeler) after that trade.  And don't forget, Jenks did not sign for 6 million to be the 7th inning guy, nor did the Sox sign him to be that.  He (when healthy) and Melancon will both be important late inning stoppers, and ready to take over closing role if Bailey is injured.  Seems most likely to me that Aceves plays the Wakefield role this coming season; spot starter and long relief, but still able to come into high leverage situations when needed.  He will pitch the extra innings Bard will be short of, having just been converted to starter. Posted by parhunter1
    Matt Swartz on MLBTR.COM has a good formula for arbitration eligibles...his figure is 3.5 mill and I doubt he would be that far off, but I guess will see...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

To all those debating the arbitration amount possibilities with Bailey, I submit that unless the thinking has changed drastically with Ben C at the helm, the Sox have not gone to an arbitration hearing since 2007 or something like that.  I would think the Sox will settle on a contract with Bailey in the 1.5 million range prior to February.  Personally, I cannot see him getting in the 3 million dollar range in 2012.
    Posted by parhunter1

Two years ago Boston's Hideki Okajima and Seattle's David Aardsma each landed a $2.75 million contract for his first arbitration season. MLB Trade Rumors projects a $3.5 million salary for Andrew Bailey in 2012 for his first arbitration season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html

No way does Andrew Bailey settlle for a $1.5 million contract.

Sections
Shortcuts