Sox acquired Brad Emaus

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox acquired Brad Emaus

I am a little higher on Emaus then others. His raw feilding stats in the minors are excellent. At 2nd base in his minor league career, he had these numbers....

gms-305
    Fldg%-.980
    dp-259
    rf-5.15

The range factor was excellent and the double play turning numbers are the highest I have ever seen from a player. He can manage the strike zone with a career w/k rate of 232-244. His crappy play at the big leagues was just 11 games and its tough hitting in that Met stadium from the right side.

I would not want to count on him as a player, but I think he could challenge Aviles for a backup role. Still think he starts at Pawtucket. But I think he is as valuable as say Lars Anderson.

Good post, but I disagree with the red highlighted part. Aviles has decent range at SS, can play 2B, 3B and OF (maybe the RH'd platoon in RF), and has proven he can hit very well for a MLB SS. He has a +12.4 UZR/150 career at SS.
    His career RF/9 (Fldg %):
    SS: 4.51  (.971) in 1212 innings
    2B: 5.17  (.984) in 1062 inn.
    3B: 2.28  (.954) in 422 inn.

Career batting line:  
    .288/.318/.419/.737 (He had a .775 OPS with the Sox in just 107 PAs)

These numbers are better than several starting SSs, 2Bmen, and even some 3Bmen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Brad Emaus will be a difference maker.      The missing piece to the puzzle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Are you it wasn't Brad Ausmus they meant? Maybe he has decided to come out of retirement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquired Brad Emaus:
    [QUOTE]...or, they are looking to move Scutaro , and and he's insurance.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I've read a couple of MLBTR blips where they mention that other teams have been sniffing around the Sox about acquiring Scrubtaro now would be the time to sell high! Boegarts and Inglesias are waiting in the wings and I think Punto could easily handle the everyday job for a bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox acquired Brad Emaus : I've read a couple of MLBTR blips where they mention that other teams have been sniffing around the Sox about acquiring Scrubtaro now would be the time to sell high! Boegarts and Inglesias are waiting in the wings and I think Punto could easily handle the everyday job for a bit.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I'd go with Iggy and Aviles, then Punto.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE] I disagree with the red highlighted part.

I agree that Aviles is still a major league role player for somebody and as I stated I think he will probably stay with the Red Sox. However, I still think Emaus "can challenge" him for that role.

First, both Punto and Scutaro are better defenders at SS then Aviles and Aviles would likely be 3rd in line at SS. Second, you don't need 3 SS's on a team. Finally, Aviles has put up a .689 OPS the last 3 seasons and .698 last season. He did have a .775 OPS for the Sox, but that was with a .317 batting average. Put him at his normal batting average and he probably drops below .700 OPS. He will need to do better then that to play a backup role at 3b, 2b or RF.

The last 3 seasons in Spring training, Emaus has put up a .956 OPS with 19/20 w/k rate. That was in 140 ab's. With the pennies being pinched, I can see Emaus replacing Aviles on this roster in the role of backup. Aviles will probably make about a million more then Emaus.

I prefer .700+ OPS Emaus for a million less. Especially with the pitch taking that Emaus is known for. I think Emaus can do that. Still think the Red Sox will hold their commodities to start the season and keep Aviles and stash Emaus in AAA. But maybe not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox acquired Brad Emaus : I agree that Aviles is still a major league role player for somebody and as I stated I think he will probably stay with the Red Sox. However, I still think Emaus "can challenge" him for that role. First, both Punto and Scutaro are better defenders at SS then Aviles and Aviles would likely be 3rd in line at SS. Second, you don't need 3 SS's on a team. Finally, Aviles has put up a .689 OPS the last 3 seasons and .698 last season. He did have a .775 OPS for the Sox, but that was with a .317 batting average. Put him at his normal batting average and he probably drops below .700 OPS. He will need to do better then that to play a backup role at 3b, 2b or RF. The last 3 seasons in Spring training, Emaus has put up a .956 OPS with 19/20 w/k rate. That was in 140 ab's. With the pennies being pinched, I can see Emaus replacing Aviles on this roster in the role of backup. Aviles will probably make about a million more then Emaus. I prefer .700+ OPS Emaus for a million less. Especially with the pitch taking that Emaus is known for. I think Emaus can do that. Still think the Red Sox will hold their commodities to start the season and keep Aviles and stash Emaus in AAA. But maybe not.  
    Posted by BMav[/QUOTE]

Great points, but I do think comparing 3 years of ST stats with regular season stats is pushing it a bit. Another factor involved is how well Aviles looks in the OF. There's a chance we may count on him at the RF platoon for Sweeney. 

Another point, Mike's career OPS is .737, so I'd take that number as more representative than the .698 number of 2011. More importantly may be these numbers:
    vs LHPs
    2011: .924
    Career: .814
    (Excellent numbers for the SS position and better than DMac's numbers vs LHPs as well...4th OF'er?)

Punto is a career .649 hitter vs LHPs and just a little better vs RHPs.
    Scutaro was .775 and .743 the last 2 years vs LHPs.

I think we could move Aviles in-season and bring Emaus or Iggy up. The move could also save us half a million on the tax limit as well. 

I like Punto at SS, but it's not like he blows Aviles away on defense.
    Career RF/9 at SS/2B/3B
    Punto:   4.60/5.24/2.85
    Aviles:  4.51/5.17/2.28
    Scutty: 4.19/4.90/2.83

I think it's close enough to say Aviles' hitting would make him a better choice at SS than Punto and maybe even Marco, but RF/9 isn't everything.

I have been a big advocate of trading Scutaro to free up cap space and vastly upgrade our fielding at SS with Iggy, so I really like the idea of keeping Aviles aboard as our back-up SS (could PH for Iggy vs LHPs). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Emaus is the plural term for Emu, a flightless bird from Australia that DOES NOT LIKE TO EAT FRIED CHICKEN AND DOES NOT DRINK BEER.

The Red Sox signed a family of Emaus and are hoping the lot of them are more effective in the late innings than Papelbon, Jenks and Bard could ever be.

The big problem is these birds do not have hands, so pitching could be a serious challenge for them. At the very least , John Henry could sell tickets to see exotic birds in the bullpen. I think the kids would love this idea. The owners would see a spike in food sales as the kids buy hot dogs and feed the bread to the cute little emaus.

THIS IS AN EMU ^

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, can this bird fly?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]So, can this bid fly?

I'm told they don't fly. Which would be no worse than last year's bullpen, who couldn't fly or pitch either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I would not think that this guy is the answer to any prayers at all. He has been bounced around and I am hoping they did not give up anything substantial for him at all. He is a guy you sign to a minor league contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Some of these comments are pretty foolish. If many of you took the time you would know he has NOT BOUNCED around. At least 2 people took the time to actually go beyond last year.
    Last year was his first MLB year. prior to that he had in 5 minor league yrs the numbers below. If he were a RS minor leauger people here would be saying everything about how good he was/is

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Some of these comments are pretty foolish. If many of you took the time you would know he has NOT BOUNCED around. At least 2 people took the time to actually go beyond last year. Last year was his first MLB year. prior to that he had in 5 minor league yrs the numbers below. If he were a RS minor leauger people here would be saying everything about how good he was/is 280 .366 .439 .805
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

My comment was intentionally foolish.

I get like that from time to time, my feeling is that we need a little foolishness to break the tension every now and again...even Moonslav, our resident expert on everything stats related ( and I must admit , I have lots of respect for this poster , who knows his baseball!) , yes even Moonslav knows I am just a big kidder and I love my Red Sox, but I like having fun even more!

Hope nobody minds. I'm really quite harmless.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]I do think comparing 3 years of ST stats with regular season stats is pushing it a bit.

Wasn't comparing spring training stats with anything. Just pointing out how well Emaus has played in spring training and giving people another plus for Emaus to think about. And it is a plus.

I am also open to trading Scutaro for space for Kuroda or Oswalt, but I highly doubt the Sox are. And if their was an injury to Scutaro, who would the Red Sox likely play at SS? My guess at this time is Punto. I don't expect to see Aviles play almost  any SS myself.

You make an excellent point about Aviles L/R splits and playing RF. That might end up being his role. However, maybe Emaus has great L/R splits too. Don't know. They could also give Emaus a look in RF aswell. Not like Aviles has much experience with that either.

With all that said, I think we agree Emaus probably starts in AAA and he would have to play very well to force any changes to the current roster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Like your Groucho quote.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Some of these comments are pretty foolish. If many of you took the time you would know he has NOT BOUNCED around. At least 2 people took the time to actually go beyond last year. Last year was his first MLB year. prior to that he had in 5 minor league yrs the numbers below. If he were a RS minor leauger people here would be saying everything about how good he was/is 280 .366 .439 .805
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Good post, Jim.  I actually hadn't really looked at his stats until you posted this....assuming exactly what you are disgusted by.  And you're right.

He will be 26 before the 2012 season starts, but his minor league age/stats are very similar to Ian Kinsler's, for example.  And he worked out pretty well.

Let's hope for the best but not expect it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

After the Yankees picked up Pineda and Kuroda, Emaus should be able to help this team get to the next level. More garbage from Red Sox Management and Cherrington, Henry's Messenger.