Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal?

At the start of the winter meeting, Sox are actively involved in talks with A's about Bailey trade.  And IMO, it's a done deal.  A's lost too many OFs this winter and they are desperately in need of at least 2 major league ready OFs.  And A's do not have a 3rd baseman right now.  And Sox need a closer.  I don't think fulltime job for Bailey is a good idea since he's a injury prone.  If Sox land Bailey, I think he's going to be a part-timer with Bard.  And Bailey could be at lesser value than he used to be at right now because of his nagging injury.  Even though he has some injury issue, he was able to put up quality numbers as a closer with 75 saves, 174 IP, 174 SO, and 2.07 career ERA.

Reddick, Lowrie, Kalish for Bailey and Trevor Cahill would work without a problem IMO. 

Cahill could be our effective #4 starter behind Bucholz.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal?

In Response to Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal?:
    [QUOTE]At the start of the winter meeting, Sox are actively involved in talks with A's about Bailey trade.  And IMO, it's a done deal.  A's lost too many OFs this winter and they are desperately in need of at least 2 major league ready OFs.  And A's do not have a 3rd baseman right now.  And Sox need a closer.  I don't think fulltime job for Bailey is a good idea since he's a injury prone.  If Sox land Bailey, I think he's going to be a part-timer with Bard.  And Bailey could be at lesser value than he used to be at right now because of his nagging injury.  Even though he has some injury issue, he was able to put up quality numbers as a closer with 75 saves, 174 IP, 174 SO, and 2.07 career ERA. Reddick, Lowrie, Kalish for Bailey and Trevor Cahill would work without a problem IMO.  Cahill could be our effective #4 starter behind Bucholz. Any thoughts?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    Ryan Kalish, Jed Lowrie and Josh Reddick might not be enough to land former Rookie of the Year Andrew Bailey alone (much less paired with Trevor Cahill).

I see a 90 percent chance that the MLB production of Kalish and Reddick will fall somewhere between the MLB production of former Red Sox prospects and fellow lefthand-hitting outfielders Brandon Moss and David Murphy.

Lowrie has roughly the trade value of Blake DeWitt, Chris Getz or Robert Andino, fellow infielders who also are projected* to earn 2012 salaries of $1.2 million in the first of three arbitration seasons.

Bailey has attracted much interest and the Red Sox might be hard-pressed to make a competitive offer.

* arbitration-year salaries as projected by MLB Trade Rumors:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Don't be stupid, Cherry. No!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal?:
    [QUOTE]Don't be stupid, Cherry. No!
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

I don't know who's being stupid.  you can only say nothing but NOs to other's threads and mentally illed to come up with reasons backing up your stupid ignorant NOs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am not quite sure what trade value Kalish and Lowrie have until they show they are at full health. Certainly Cahill and Bailey on their own have more trade value than the package mentioned.
    Also curious in the proposal, who plays RF if both Kalish and Reddick depart?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal? : Ryan Kalish, Jed Lowrie and Josh Reddick might not be enough to land former Rookie of the Year Andrew Bailey alone (much less paired with Trevor Cahill). I see a 90 percent chance that the MLB production of Kalish and Reddick will fall somewhere between the MLB production of fellow lefthand-hitting outfielders Brandon Moss and David Murphy, former Red Sox prospects. Lowrie has roughly the trade value of Blake DeWitt, Chris Getz or Robert Andino, fellow infielders who each are projected* to earn 2012 salaries of $1.2 million in the first of three arbitration seasons. Bailey has attracted much interest and the Red Sox might be hard-pressed to make a competitive offer.   * arbitration-year salaries as projected by MLB Trade Rumors : http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

My point was A's are DESPERATE in need of help and they won't be signing good enough FAs nor getting Bailey and Cahill's value in return.  I know Bailey won the ROY award but he hasn't been able to fully contribute to the team because of his injury.  I think teams will try to lessen Bailey's value for his health condition.  And A's are going into rebuilding phase by trading away players who will cost them in near future. (Cahill, Bailey, Gonzalez)  On the other hand, Lowrie, Reddick, and Kalish won't cost them much money but can be effective power force.  I also think more work has to been made to get this deal done but IMO this could be start.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE] Reddick, Lowrie, Kalish for Bailey and Trevor Cahill would work without a problem IMO.  Cahill could be our effective #4 starter behind Bucholz. Any thoughts?

I like the trade, but we may have to come up with a better package than that. The A's can probably get better offers from other teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox already have a bagful of injury prone players...so many in fact that it has cost them the pennant the last couple of years and now you think they should add one more to that total?  Doesn't make sense for the Sox to look for anything but healthy players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Sox already have a bagful of injury prone players...so many in fact that it has cost them the pennant the last couple of years and now you think they should add one more to that total?  Doesn't make sense for the Sox to look for anything but healthy players.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Cahill and Bailey have injury history but they were able to make enough contribution to the team.  They won't be the guys who constantly visit DL stint, play few games and miss whole season.  They will be the key guys IF Sox acquire them in a trade. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Reddick or Kalish makes since the A's are likely to lose willingham, after that I'd say we need to throw in a MLB ready pitcher to go in the A's bullpen.  A pitcher Like Doubront and maybe a lower level prospect like Workman....and then Bailey should easily be ours.  Depending on how much Beane values our prospects we might even be able to complete the trade with just a Kalish/Doubront Reddick/Doubront.

If we get Bailey my question is does he Close or Set up?  My assumption is that either Bard or Aceves will make a move to the Rotation.  If I had to guess I'd say Bard moves to the rotation and Aceves sets up for Bailey...or Aceves moves to the rotation and Bailey sets up for Bard. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lowrie would make since in the trade (for us) but does Oakland have need for a utility infielder???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]At the start of the winter meeting, Sox are actively involved in talks with A's about Bailey trade.  And IMO, it's a done deal.  A's lost too many OFs this winter and they are desperately in need of at least 2 major league ready OFs.  And A's do not have a 3rd baseman right now.  And Sox need a closer.  I don't think fulltime job for Bailey is a good idea since he's a injury prone.  If Sox land Bailey, I think he's going to be a part-timer with Bard.  And Bailey could be at lesser value than he used to be at right now because of his nagging injury.  Even though he has some injury issue, he was able to put up quality numbers as a closer with 75 saves, 174 IP, 174 SO, and 2.07 career ERA. Reddick, Lowrie, Kalish for Bailey and Trevor Cahill would work without a problem IMO.  Cahill could be our effective #4 starter behind Bucholz. Any thoughts?

Are you seriously that it is a good idea to trade both Reddick and Kalish, and then Boston ended up having no RF?  Who is going to play there?  Often injure proned Beltran guy?

Think that Lowrie/Reddick is good enough for a soon to be 28 years old Bailey.

Cahill is going nowhere.  He was one of the better pitcher on the starting pitching staffs in 2010, and he is only 23 years old kid.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think the A's are interested in Lars Anderson.  He was part of the trade for Harden that fell through.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Lar Anderson/Reddick is good enough for them, do it!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In my opinion the Sox would need to part with Youkilis in any trade discussion with Billy Beane...

...if the Sox really want Bailey and a starter, then starting the trade talks with Youk then introduce other names to balance off a trade:

I don't think Youk for Bailey is good for the Sox, but say...

Bailey & Gonzalez for Youk, Doubront, Reddick & maybe another mid-level prospect would work.

This would make Lowrie your starting 3B with Aviles his backup, paving the way for Middlebrooks or Vitek in the next couple of years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I think the A's are interested in Lars Anderson.  He was part of the trade for Harden that fell through.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    That was for two months of Rich Harden ... three years of Andrew Bailey should cost at least nine times as much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In my opinion the Sox would need to part with Youkilis in any trade discussion with Billy Beane... ...if the Sox really want Bailey and a starter, then starting the trade talks with Youk then introduce other names to balance off a trade: I don't think Youk for Bailey is good for the Sox, but say... Bailey & Gonzalez for Youk, Doubront, Reddick & maybe another mid-level prospect would work. This would make Lowrie your starting 3B with Aviles his backup, paving the way for Middlebrooks or Vitek in the next couple of years.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]
    The budget-minded Athletics aren't likely to trade three arbitration years of Andrew Bailey for one or two more expensive years of Kevin Youkilis.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

There is a big difference between desperate and stupid.  That trade package couldn't get Beetle Bailey

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Bard AND Aceves are going to the rotation.

ANY trade for a "closer",  will be the closer here. unless Jenks stepped into that role, then they wont have to trade for a "closer" but any RP they can fit right into the set up role without giving up Lowrie,  Kalish or Reddick.

Who plays RF in the above trade scenerio?  Reddick, Kalish

Who plays 3rd when Youk goes on DL ?       Lowrie

No, i dont like that trade at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Bailey is good.
    Trade Hillbilly Josh, Lowrie and a prospect.
    This team needs a closer, more than a 4th OF, a glass utility guy, and some prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox actively involved in Bailey trade with A's. Done deal? : That was for two months of Rich Harden ... three years of Andrew Bailey should cost at least nine times as much.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I agree up to a point.  I know Anderson's value is not that much.  But a deal for Harden could have been for more than two months, potentially at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

seems as if any mild interest the A's would have in Lars would be mostly in the fact he is a local kid over there, hoping a change of scenery back where he is from could help him blossom because he is stagnating in our sytem at this point. still, value wise, obviously nothing more than a throw in and oakland probably values him more than anyone else would. 

i understand hill's perception and ranking of lowrie, but very slightly disagree only in the sense that, for whatever reason, he seems to be drawing relatively steady interest this offseason from multiple teams. could be a case where actual real life life demand supercedes WAR projections and computer screen numbers just a bit. dont get me wrong, i'm not saying he's some hot commodity, but from what i have been reading he is at least a tradeable asset.

still, when considering that everyone is saying how much of a hard baragin beane is driving on his pitchers (he wanted mike stanton for gio gonzalez for example), i find it highly unlikely that any of these guys could create a package that would suit Oakland for Bailey. and no offense OP, but you actually think they could land Cahill in addition to Bailey in this kinda scenario? just not seeing it bro. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Our team has a bad history when we trade for relievers, Gange, Ramirez which scares me. It would have been more prudent to sign a guy, but you can see that they are trying to do this on the cheap because Bailey is a cheap alternative that you have to give someone up to get.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Our team has a bad history when we trade for relievers, Gange, Ramirez which scares me. It would have been more prudent to sign a guy, but you can see that they are trying to do this on the cheap because Bailey is a cheap alternative that you have to give someone up to get.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

But Theo was the one made all the bad moves.  Best move was to get Lowell/Beckett, but it came from Larry L., not Theo.  Also Pedro's trade was made by Duke.  Since Theo is gone, I am sure Ben will do a better job than Theo on making a trade!!

Sections
Shortcuts