Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd

Anyone with intelligence would know:

A. Dont sign Carl Crawford
    B. If an idiot GM does sign Carl Crawford, trade Ellsbury for a star RH Of'er

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : He is a 278 career hitter.  You could look at a sample size of over 3700 at bats or the last 43. What do people expect?  He's just a guy to play for a few months until Ells and Craw are healthy.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Right now, we're looking at 3 weeks for Crawford to come back.  When he is back, Byrd is probably on the bench.  So basically, we're renting a 34-year-old career average player for three weeks during the worst slump of his professional career, which may or may not be injury-related.  Brilliant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : Right now, we're looking at 3 weeks for Crawford to come back.  When he is back, Byrd is probably on the bench.  So basically, we're renting a 34-year-old career average player for three weeks during the worst slump of his professional career, which may or may not be injury-related.  Brilliant.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

How do you figure. When CC comes back you put him in his customary LF you have Byrd in CF and Platoon Sweeney and Ross in RF like it was suppose to be. I know Sweeney is hot right now and you dont wanna take him out whenever you can but he'll come back down to earth eventually.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : Good call Hank !!!!   Another BINGO !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    Agreeing with Softy is like kicking puppy, you just shouldn't do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : How do you figure. When CC comes back you put him in his customary LF you have Byrd in CF and Platoon Sweeney and Ross in RF like it was suppose to be. I know Sweeney is hot right now and you dont wanna take him out whenever you can but he'll come back down to earth eventually.
    Posted by xXR3S1NXx[/QUOTE]

Crawford in CF, Ross in LF, Sweeney / McDonald in RF.  I think Kalish comes back before Ellsbury. Sweeney may come back to earth (at least against lefties), but I doubt he goes 3 for 47 all season.  I don't see Byrd providing enough offense to take any of these positions away - even McDonald's platoon job.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : Crawford in CF, Ross in LF, Sweeney / McDonald in RF.  I think Kalish comes back before Ellsbury. Sweeney may come back to earth (at least against lefties), but I doubt he goes 3 for 47 all season.  I don't see Byrd providing enough offense to take any of these positions away - even McDonald's platoon job.   Posted by slomag[/QUOTE] "Crawford in CF?" So you want to take a guy with a lot of pressure on him and put him in a position he doesn't want to play? Why? By the way, Darnell McDonald should only play RF in case of emergency. He's brutal there...Also, Kalish is a stretch to play in the Bigs this year at best...he'll need significant at bats in Pawtucket, maybe the rest of the season, especially if Sweeney continues to hit...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : Crawford in CF, Ross in LF, Sweeney / McDonald in RF.  I think Kalish comes back before Ellsbury. Sweeney may come back to earth (at least against lefties), but I doubt he goes 3 for 47 all season.  I don't see Byrd providing enough offense to take any of these positions away - even McDonald's platoon job.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

First why make crawford change Positions if you dont have too. and second Cody Ross as much i like the guy is not an every day player. Byrd has a solid bat and has had pretty respectable Averages and OBP's in the last three years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd": [QUOTE]BTW I can identify some of the people below, two being 2004Idiots  and Bill-806  .... but who are the others?  Please tell me pike  is one of them. Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE] Yes and no. Pike IS in the frame, but he's hidden behind the large rock in the foreground. The others are stabbing the poll into his abdomen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It is so so sad that Darnell McDonald and now maybe Marlon Byrd are on the Red Sox. Give someone in AAA a shot. This guy can't hit a beach ball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

In response to "Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd": [QUOTE]Getting Marlon Byrd is like buying a bandaid to treat a gunshot wound. Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE] lol no doubt I agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone with intelligence would know: A. Dont sign Carl Crawford B. If an idiot GM does sign Carl Crawford, trade Ellsbury for a star RH Of'er
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with Marlon Byrd.  What's your point?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : Right now, we're looking at 3 weeks for Crawford to come back.  When he is back, Byrd is probably on the bench.  So basically, we're renting a 34-year-old career average player for three weeks during the worst slump of his professional career, which may or may not be injury-related.  Brilliant.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Really?  I didn't know Ells and Kalish were coming back in three weeks too.  Oh that's right.  They aren't.

We don't even know what the deal is.  If the Red Sox give up a mid level prospect for him who cares?   He hit around  275 last year in 440 at bats and he plays good  D.  What's the problem?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd : Really?  I didn't know Ells and Kalish were coming back in three weeks too.  Oh that's right.  They aren't. We don't even know what the deal is.  If the Red Sox give up a mid level prospect for him who cares?   He hit around  275 last year in 440 at bats and he plays good  D.  What's the problem?  

The problem is he hasn't been able to hit a ball since being drilled in the face.  How long does it take you to feel comfortable in the batters box after that, because after 13 games, half the board wants to drop Youk and Salty.  Unless he breaks out of his slump immediately upon changing uniforms, how much patience are you going to have with him before you go to plan B?  So, why not start with plan B, and hold onto Bowden, who can actually be useful immediately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox and Cubs talking about a deal for Marlon Byrd :   First why make crawford change Positions if you dont have too. and second Cody Ross as much i like the guy is not an every day player. Byrd has a solid bat and has had pretty respectable Averages and OBP's in the last three years.
    Posted by xXR3S1NXx[/QUOTE]

You do have to - you can't leave your best and fastest outfielder to cover the least amount of ground.  Maybe Byrd bounces back, but this isn't just a slow start - this is a once in a career slump.  We probably won't have a guy on the roster go 3 for 47 this year.  how sure are you Byrd will ever again be comfortable digging into the box?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The deal is done. Byrd for Bowden. Cubs send some cash. Not sure why they wouldn't pay for entire salary. Sox get snookered again by Cubs. It's worth taking a washed up guy who's hitting .70, 3 for 43 with 3 singles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i really dont like this deal, not sure why they gave up on bowden when plugs like albers and thomas are still on this team. the redsox front office is a joke. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The cubs are paying all but 400K of Byrds salary and the Red Sox got him for a guy they were going to lose on waivers anyway.

Even if he is horrible there isn't much to complain about here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]The cubs are paying all but 400K of Byrds salary and the Red Sox got him for a guy they were going to lose on waivers anyway. Even if he is horrible there isn't much to complain about here.

I disagree.  The Red Sox could have pulled Bowden off waivers, realizing they need a 25-year-old decent bullpen arm more than they do a 34-year-old CF who is afraid of the baseball.

If (when) he is horrible, he is taking the bat out of the hands of someone less horrible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Perhaps Chris Carpenter is the PTBNL going back to the Cubs to complete the deal.

Perhaps Marlon Byrd figured prominently in the negotiations for the Theo Epstein compensation before the parties settled on Carpenter and Aaron Kurcz for Jair Bogaerts.

Just speculation.

Sections
Shortcuts