Sox & Papi Talking Extension?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox & Papi Talking Extension?

David Ortiz, Red Sox Talking Extension By  Zach Links [December 13 at 11:58am CST]

David Ortiz told reporters that his agent is talking with the Red Sox about extending his deal for another year, tweets Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.  Ortiz signed a two-year extension with Boston in November 2012 that will take him through the 2014 season.

Big Papi will earn $15MM in the final year of his deal between his $11MM base salary and the $4MM bonus he secured by staying away from the DL for the bulk of 2013.  After playing just 90 games in 2012 - his lowest total as a member of the Red Sox - Ortiz saw action in 137 games this past season, hitting .309/.395/.564 with 30 homers.  

While the Red Sox certaintly want to keep their franchise cornerstone happy, they may not be ecstatic about re-opening contract talks.  Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported earlier this year that the two sides had an agreement that they would not negotiate a new contract or extension until after the deal expired.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Sox & Papi Talking Extension?

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 1h

David Ortiz said his agent is discussing a one-year extension with the #RedSox

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/12/ortiz_seeking_one-year_extension_with_red_sox.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Thanks Moon.

If you see 4-5 posts down, you will the exact same one that I posted earlier.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Moon.

[/QUOTE]

Ooops, sorry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Moon.

[/QUOTE]

Ooops, sorry.

[/QUOTE]

it's cool.  it's better you posting than I do.  More ppl will read it.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Wonder what kind of medical language will be involved ???   Just saying !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You never miss a chance to cap on the big man do you? Why do you hate our World Series MVPs?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's waiting for the day Papi goes down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

He's waiting for the day Papi goes down.

Why would the Sox want to extend a punch and judy hitter who can't even play 100 games? :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the medical language will be....That he's a hemorroid to opposing pitchers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

There is no question that Ortiz has been a bright spot in the Sox lineup now for over ten years, but i am not sure that agreeing to another year at this point in time is a wise move.

If he continues to play well in 2014, then sign him for 2015.  If he falls apart (as some 38 year old guys might) his $15 M will be a tough pill to swallon in 2015.

At $15 M for 2014 he is certainly not under paid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he's earned the extra $15MM if he doesnt even get 1 AB in 2015.  Sox need to do right and always have this man signed for the following year until he can no longer answer the bell.....This Boston HERO should never ever reach FA.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no question that Ortiz has been a bright spot in the Sox lineup now for over ten years, but i am not sure that agreeing to another year at this point in time is a wise move.

If he continues to play well in 2014, then sign him for 2015.  If he falls apart (as some 38 year old guys might) his $15 M will be a tough pill to swallon in 2015.

[/QUOTE]Charlie ....... How dare you question "BIG PAPI" and all his cheerleaders on this board !!!  Even though it was a very sensible business question to ask !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Sensible????????

The guy was the WS MVP and hit over .700 for the series. Yeah, I would say that is worth $15M for 2015. Other than that, I would like to see a "Wakefield clause" as well. If he continues to hit that way, continue to pay him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Charlie ....... How dare you question "BIG PAPI" and all his cheerleaders on this board !!!  Even though it was a very sensible business question to ask !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Senseless is more like it.

Whatever happened to kinder and gentler...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Give the man whatever he wants.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guy was already the greatest Boston sports  hero of our time before this year even started.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

The guy was already the greatest Boston sports  hero of our time before this year even started.

[/QUOTE]

so?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so?

[/QUOTE]

So, that's it.

BILL & softy can continue to rip the hero for only reasons they know.

I could probably put the elephant on the table, but I won't go there.

The Sox paid the 40 & 41 year old Schilling $21M his last 2 years combined in the 2007/2008 MLB market and got 24 starts out of him.

Just sayin'... 

Surprised

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I never respect the way players are continually paid in advance for past performances. If Ortiz starts blabbing this winter about 'security' or 'respect' I will barf on my shoes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so?

[/QUOTE]

So, that's it.

BILL & softy can continue to rip the hero for only reasons they know.

I could probably put the elephant on the table, but I won't go there.

The Sox paid the 40 & 41 year old Schilling $21M his last 2 years combined in the 2007/2008 MLB market and got 24 starts out of him.

Just sayin'... 

Surprised

[/QUOTE]MR MOON ......  He had a great year and a well timed playoffs/W S ......  However, the question needs to be asked from the business side, "how long can his 38-43 old body hold up as well as his baseball skills" ??????   Yes, in the end Curt Schilling cashed in on his two W S , just as "PAPI" (3) is doing now.......  In the end, if he can have another year this year as last, GREAT, if not then he will fade away in the same shadows as Schilling did !!!   Just saying !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

How dare you question "BIG PAPI" and all his cheerleaders on this board !!! 

[/QUOTE]

That about says it all, Bill.  One of the greatest players in team history, and you think of his fans and supporters derisively as 'cheerleaders'.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

just give him a lifetime contract and end all the chatter.

We all know that as long as papi is playing in the MLB, he will be playing for Boston. period. so why go through this drama every offseason?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I never respect the way players are continually paid in advance for past performances. If Ortiz starts blabbing this winter about 'security' or 'respect' I will barf on my shoes.

[/QUOTE]

Says it all.

Maybe you, softy and BILL can build a vomitorium in the back woods of Carolina.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Edgar Martinez award should be changed to the David Ortiz award. 

Sections
Shortcuts