Sox & Papi Talking Extension?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox & Papi Talking Extension?

In response to steven11's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Papi was worth 19M last year and made 14M. Thats 5M less. He has out performed his contract just about every year and sometimes by a wide margin. After his performance this year, showing no signs of slowing down, you give him another year. The Sox have got way more production from Papi compared to his paycheck. If he does about the same production, you add another year, and so on...Lock him up right after the season starts so it doesnt affect this years LT numbers.

I guess the problem was that no other teams thought he was worth 19 million so the market leveled out at 14.  The sox may not extend his contract until the season starts. The worst that can happen is ortiz has another banner year and he then tests the market again.

Also, he is worth what he agrees to in the contract.  He has an agent and they tested the market and took the best offer. Just because he produced as expected  does not mean he was under paid.

[/QUOTE]

Your not understanding, thats not what I was saying.

His performance in 2013 equaled 19M. There was no way of knowing that until we look at his final regular season numbers. He out performed what he was paid. And I also never said he was underpaid anywhere in my posts. I said he outperformed his contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox & Papi Talking Extension?

[QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Papi was worth 19M last year and made 14M. Thats 5M less. He has out performed his contract just about every year and sometimes by a wide margin. After his performance this year, showing no signs of slowing down, you give him another year. The Sox have got way more production from Papi compared to his paycheck. If he does about the same production, you add another year, and so on...Lock him up right after the season starts so it doesnt affect this years LT numbers.

[/QUOTE]

I guess the problem was that no other teams thought he was worth 19 million so the market leveled out at 14.  The sox may not extend his contract until the season starts. The worst that can happen is ortiz has another banner year and he then tests the market again.

Also, he is worth what he agrees to in the contract.  He has an agent and they tested the market and took the best offer. Just because he produced as expected  does not mean he was under paid.

[/QUOTE]

Your not understanding, thats not what I was saying.

His performance in 2013 equaled 19M. There was no way of knowing that until we look at his final regular season numbers. He out performed what he was paid. And I also never said he was underpaid anywhere in my posts. I said he outperformed his contract.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I believe he outperformed his contract in all but 3 seasons with the Sox. This is not an argument to "pay him for past services", but just a statement of fact.

I am not saying we should extend him before we see what he gives us in 2014. Like I said, the QO disincentive (lost draft pick) to other teams will probably lock Papi with the Sox until he retires, but I do see the point that this should not really be the way we treat the greatest Boston sports hero of my lifetime.

I could see trying to sign him to a lifetime services contract where he remains with the team after retirement as some sort of ambassador, scout, hitting instructor, etc...