sox aquire aviles from kc

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: sox aquire aviles from kc

Maybe they know more about Lowrie than we do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Aviles is a career .296 hitter vs. leftys and in 55 at bats against lefties this year he's hitting .305. Could be a big reason he's here but im almost certain he's more of a puzzle piece either him or lowrie will be traded. The WS have a really good SS in Alexei so if lowrie will be pieced it wont be for thornton or Quentin. The A's only have Cliff pennington who is young but does not hit very well. So we may see lowrie/aviles traded to the A's in a package for Harden and Willingham only thing is the Red Sox don't know if Willingham will be able to play RF for the Sox. I saw someone mention it might be to trade lowrie for Jimenez but i dont see that happening since the Rockies have one of the best SS in baseball, Tulowitzky. Only way i see that happening is if the Rockies plan on converting Lowrie to third base. The only other move i can possibly see happening is trading lowrie for mike adams who has given up only 2 ERS vs lefties all season and only 4 vs righties. with Jed Hoyer the GM of the Pads i have a feeling he might want Lowrie especially to put some pop in that terrible line up!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Hey Moon, ......someone was listening. Thank you Theo. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I think folks are being a bit harch on Aviles, guys bounce back sometimes look at Beltre, Lowell, Salty, and Ortiz.

Aviles put together a great year in 2008 hitting and fielding. Plus his defense as a SS has been good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

I can't remember, have we ever made a good trade with KC?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: sox aquire aviles from kc:
    [QUOTE]I think folks are being a bit harch on Aviles, guys bounce back sometimes look at Beltre, Lowell, Salty, and Ortiz. Aviles put together a great year in 2008 hitting and fielding. Plus his defense as a SS has been good.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

I think Aviles will be fine with the bat but his fielding Stats are pretty poor.  Thats my biggest worry if we keep him, we already have mediocre SS's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: sox aquire aviles from kc : I think Aviles will be fine with the bat but his fielding Stats are pretty poor.  Thats my biggest worry if we keep him, we already have mediocre SS's.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

SS only career UZR/150 : 11.3

Plus he isn't a FA until 2015, and he finished fourth in the 2008 AL Rookie of the Year award voting

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think it's pretty apparent that they preferred Aviles to Navarro. Isn't it? They are paying more for him. He's older and they even threw in another decent prospect.

Did we really want Navarro in there during the playoffs, manning SS or 3rd base for us? I really do not think so. This is a good trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This guy is almost the defensive SS many of us have been asking for. And he was dirt cheap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]It was pretty obvious that Navarro was being showcased. Ii think it is also obvious that the Sox will not retain Aviles, Lowrie and Scutaro on the Major League roster. I've seen it happen before where a player acquired in trade is packaged with others players almost immediatly. So we will have to see if Aviles is a player they wanted or needed to acquire someone else. The fact that Aviles bats right leads me to believe he will stay.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

He hits much better against lefties this year:  over .300, but under .200 against righties

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]This trade made by Theo is an equivalent of trading a bag of Kit Kat for M&Ms. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

You really can't go wrong with either yummy choice....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's pretty apparent that they preferred Aviles to Navarro. Isn't it? They are paying more for him. He's older and they even threw in another decent prospect. Did we really want Navarro in there during the playoffs, manning SS or 3rd base for us? I really do not think so. This is a good trade.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom, never thought I would see you say to dump young talent for a player of this caliber.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Right boom, and softy calls it a "dumpster dive". 

Classic clown silliness.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: sox aquire aviles from kc : Boom, never thought I would see you say to dump young talent for a player of this caliber.
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]
    Boom enjoys jumping around from position to position, as long as he can support Inepstein and the front office. This trade is a poor one, no doubt. Even if there was a trade about to happen, there is no other team in MLB that would prefer Aviles over Navarro. We are obvious losers in this trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Makes sense. Aviles is a veteran back-up+. He is solid with the glove and bat. Gives 3b, ss, 2b a breather for a couple of days. You will notice he's got better bat control than Nav. 

Bench just got improved. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: sox aquire aviles from kc : Boom, never thought I would see you say to dump young talent for a player of this caliber.
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

I just never thought Navarro was what he was projected to be on soxprospects. He has been over rated since day one, and I think this just confirms my projection. He is very likely to be a career mlb sub / minor league guy. I hope he goes on to have a great career and maybe he will be of more value to KC.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

World Series here we come!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Rob Neyer

Navarro, also 23, has been impressive enough to play some games with the Red Sox last season, and this season. But he's terribly slow, reportedly because he doesn't watch his weight. He doesn't figure to play regularly for the Royals, who have Alcides Escobar at shortstop

Jul 30, 2011 |
    Brian MacPherson Email

0730 Mike Aviles.JPGWhen the Red Sox look at Mike Aviles, in some ways, they see Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Saltalamacchia a year ago provided less of a pennant-race boost for the Red Sox as he did insurance against the likely departure of Victor Martinez. He'd been a player the Red Sox had liked for a while, and the move gave them a chance to get to know him and to acquaint him with their staff and systems during the second half of last season.

Aviles -- acquired Saturday for Yamaico Navarro and minor-league pitcher Kendal Volz -- likewise is an acquisition made with an eye on the future.

Marco Scutaro is slated to be a free agent this offseason -- though he and the Red Sox both hold options -- and Jed Lowrie has yet to demonstrate that he can stay healthy through an entire season. Top prospect Jose Iglesias, meanwhile, has yet to demonstrate that he can hit Triple-A pitching consistently, let alone major-league pitching. He's hit .281 with a .343 on-base percentage in July with the PawSox -- his best month of the season.

Aviles can be a reserve infielder, but he started 89 games at shortstop for the Royals three years ago and likely could fill that role next season if necessary. He had an Ultimate Zone Rating of plus-11.7 for his work at shortstop in 2008.

"This a guy we've liked for a long time," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "Sometimes we get so caught up in who's going to help us tomorrow, and maybe there's times where things happen where maybe he can help us down the road, too, like Salty last year."

Aviles' numbers aren't outstanding -- the 30-year-old was hitting .222 with a .261 on-base percentage in spot duty with Kansas City this season -- but he hit .297 with a .337 on-base percentage in his minor-league career and hit .325 with a .354 on-base percentage and .480 slugging percentage as a rookie in 2008.

He's hit 24 career home runs -- 21 of which he has pulled to left field, making him an intriguing candidate to play his home games in front of the Green Monster.

He underwent Tommy John surgery in 2009, costing him most of that season and limiting his effectiveness in 2010.

He'll almost certainly settle into a reserve role with the Red Sox, a role with which he told reporters just the other day he wasn't totally comfortable. But the move from a second-division team to a World Series contender might well change his outlook. The Red Sox might even ask him to back up the corner outfield spots, giving him a chance at a little more playing time.

His ability to hit lefties -- he's hit .296 with a .343 on-base percentage against lefties in his career -- gives him an even better chance to find a niche with the Red Sox.

"The one thing that's a little bit exciting -- and this is probably down the road right now -- is seeing if he can go to the outfield a little bit," Francona said. "But I'm probably getting ahead of myself."

Navarro has a .177 batting average with a .221 on-base percentage in his major-league thus far, though he did hit .258 with a .362 on-base percentage for Triple-A Pawtucket this season. He'd shown the ability to play second base, shortstop, third base and both corner outfield spots in his time with the Red Sox, and he won't be arbitration-eligible for three more seasons.

The 23-year-old is widely believed to have a high upside, but doubts persist as to his ability to reach it -- especially as major-league pitchers test his ability to control the zone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

IMO one dud for another.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: sox aquire aviles from kc : I just never thought Navarro was what he was projected to be on soxprospects. He has been over rated since day one, and I think this just confirms my projection. He is very likely to be a career mlb sub / minor league guy. I hope he goes on to have a great career and maybe he will be of more value to KC.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    This trade confirms nothing of the kind. You are an impulsive guy with a keyboard nearby. You have been all over Navarro like a bug at a Texas truck stop in August. What is it? Your hope that Navarro will have a great career or that he'll be a sub or a minor league guy? He'll make you look bad, God forbid, if it's the former.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Here we go again, with everyone overvaluing some Sox prospect?
    Navarro? .258 in Pawtucket. Whoo! Hoo!
    Do some people think that what a player does in the minors counts for nothing?
    That's how progess is gaged by the big club.
    Guys like Navarro and Reddick stunk at AAA.
    Remember the biggest untouchable? The "Justin Morneau clone"
    Lars Anderson? Plays more like Morneau after his concussion last year, and has very little value.
    Not every prospect is going to be an All-Star or future Cy Young winner. Get used to it. Most of these "prospects" will never do anything much in MLB.
    Fact.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]I don't quite get this trade.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll fill you in.  Navarro has not been able to hit a beach ball.  He's been an automatic out and we need none of that nonsense. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Who knows for sure what is going to happen with any prospect. Navarro may well still have an excellent career. I just like telling it as I see it. We are just playing GM here to a degree, or at least I am, and so far I think my call was coorect on Navarro. I argued with most of the people at soxprospects about Navarro for the last couple years and it was Oh No...why noi love for Navarro? He's a great prospect...etc. I just didn't see it and I still don't, and I'm pretty sure the Redsox were not all that enamored about him either since they just traded him for a more expensive nobody and they had to throw in another prospect to boot!

I have been all over Navarro lately since so many people here were saying he should be playing in place of Scutaro right now. I just didn't think that was the right way to go and it looks like the Sox agreed. I honestly do not get the Navarro appeal. Look at his body. No way he has range at SS.