Sox are interested in Carlos Beltran

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Re: Sox are interested in Carlos Beltran

Pass on Beltran.

Why not give Ells a contract like Pedey's ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the market is 2 years, no, but a one year market rate with a 2nd year option/player opt out is obvious for the 2014 Red Sox. I expect that should close the deal and cost little more than what Napoli cost in 2013. Beltran has the two year work record to show he's worth a one year contract risk in hopes of getting another 140 plus games season. 

LF would be a perfect place to put him, at home, with a move to RF in ballparks with vast LF and shorter porch RF like Yankee stadium. 

With Shane and Bradley, Ellsbury is surely and thankfully gone for 2014, and the 100M plus that some foolishly advocate spending to retain him, should be laughed at in favor of promoting Bradley to CF and improving the slugging in the OF with a one year commitment to Beltran that could end up being a good value and fit for one or a team option 2nd year. 

Napoli should not be resigned, and if Kendrys Morales cost more than 3 or 4 years and 40 to 50M, Nava should platoon at 1st base and be OF depth with a cheap one year lower single digits deal on Konerko. 

Carp should be traded on what amounts to a one-time lottery windfall highest he'll ever have in trade value.

LF Beltran/Gomes/Nava

CF Bradley/Shane/Nava

RF Shane/Beltran/Nava

CF Bradley

1B Nava/Konerko

2B Pedroia

SS Bogaerts

3B Middlebrooks (His HR rate matters folks, in what has been an injury year)

C Ross & AJ (AJ and one year makes more sense than 3 years of Salty costs, with Swihart, Lavarnway and Vazquex insuring no need to do absurdly stupid things like guarantee 70 million plus to McCann and 30 million plus to hands of stone and arm of paper Salty) 

Payroll budget increased by 20 million plus, net 1 to 2 draft picks.

Beltran will be a draft pick charge, but that's offset by the draft picks picked up for Ellsbury and Napoli and let's hope and pray on S. Drew. 

Red Sox should try and get a team to take the debt of Peavy off the 2014 books, which would increase the budget more to provide necessary flexibility over this winter and next summer. 

[/QUOTE] I have no problem with adding Beltran,Konerko, or A.J., I would be elated if Drew went to a team dumb enough to give a 1rst rd pk for him,as for Naps I hope he returns for his sake but we all make decisions we regret. Konerko would be a perfect fit in Boston. I also hear we have more than just a passing interest in Hudson, but remember what we got from thew last Braves pitcher we signed Smoltzie....Also though McCann is expensive is he that much better than Salty,Ruiz or A.J.? There are internal options that need too be considered at each of the possible needs, except at 1rst base where there are only the present roster players Carp and Nava availible to replace Naps if he leaves and I'm comfortable with Nava/Carp platooning if necessary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

3 or 4 years is crazy.....

Carlos Beltran - OF -  Cardinals

Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports reports that Carlos Beltran is seeking a three or four-year contract this winter.

The veteran outfielder, who has balky knees and will turn 37 in April, remained relatively healthy during his two seasons with the Cardinals, averaging 148 games and 610 plate appearances respectively. While his primary focus remains playing for a World Series contender, he'll reject his qualifying offer from the Cardinals, making a return unlikely. The Yankees, Red Sox and Mets are among the teams that have already expressed interest this offseason. The most likely scenario has him signing with an American League team where he can utilize the DH spot to stay fresh over the course of the season.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

Good player ..... but NO! Try for Stanton and Choo. Hudson maybe?Re-Sign Drew and Nap 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Beltran is the best hitter Sox can get into 2014 lineup from this year's FA.  Assuming Sox resign Naps, Farrell will have Beltran bat in the cleanup spot which will shift Pedey and Papi back to #2 and 3 hitters.  Beltran will give very well balanced lineup and also protect Ortiz.  

Victorino - Pedey - Papi - Beltran - Napoli - Bogaerts - Salty - Middlebrooks - JBJ

The Sox need to be careful here, as to how much they're willing to spend on a 37 year old OF, who has had injury issues throughout his career. Though a switch hitter, Beltran is a much better lefthanded hitter than a righthanded hitter. So, I don't know if he adds "balance" to the line-up: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1821100-blueprint-for-the-red-sox-to-shut-down-carlos-beltran-in-the-world-series

Plus, I don't like the idea of sacrificing a high draft choice to get Beltran. Remember, the Cards got star pitcher Mike Wacha from the draft choice they obtained from the Angels, in letting Albert Pujols walk: http://stlouis.sbnation.com/st-louis-cardinals/2012/6/4/3063867/st-louis-cardinals-draft-2012-michael-wacha

GM Ben needs to remember how he built the 2013 team. I like the idea of the Sox going with the kids. If they are to spend money in free agency, spend it on role players, and pitching.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dont get this not do i like it. we do not need a 37 yr old outfielder who wants a multi year deal. first we are reportedly interested in a 38 yr old tim hudson and now 37 yr old carlos beltran. we should be trying to get younger not older. no need for either of those guys. the only outfielders we should be going after are stanton, carlos gonzalez and matt kemp. apparently matt kemp is available, definitely worth looking into for the sox. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Beltran would mean Bradley isn't in the teams immediate plans.

False, Beltran doesn't play CF anymore. Ellsbury is not in the Red Sox plans anymore, pal. 

[/QUOTE]

Why do you show so much disdain for Ells, especially after the great year he had. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Because he is Softlaw.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Folks we have a new poster on BDC, REDSOXANDGUITARS who obviously hates Ells and can't wait for him to leave. Sounds like Softy has recreated himself again !! Anyone agree. 

Hetch

100% likely.  Just responded to your previous post before seeing this one.  "False", "market rate", lengthy post, buyer of Bradley, seller of Ellsbury and Peavy, Softy has claimed extensive guitar ownership in the past, etc.  No doubt about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Beltran is the best hitter Sox can get into 2014 lineup from this year's FA.  Assuming Sox resign Naps, Farrell will have Beltran bat in the cleanup spot which will shift Pedey and Papi back to #2 and 3 hitters.  Beltran will give very well balanced lineup and also protect Ortiz.  

Victorino - Pedey - Papi - Beltran - Napoli - Bogaerts - Salty - Middlebrooks - JBJ

The Sox need to be careful here, as to how much they're willing to spend on a 37 year old OF, who has had injury issues throughout his career. Though a switch hitter, Beltran is a much better lefthanded hitter than a righthanded hitter. So, I don't know if he adds "balance" to the line-up: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1821100-blueprint-for-the-red-sox-to-shut-down-carlos-beltran-in-the-world-series

Plus, I don't like the idea of sacrificing a high draft choice to get Beltran. Remember, the Cards got star pitcher Mike Wacha from the draft choice they obtained from the Angels, in letting Albert Pujols walk: http://stlouis.sbnation.com/st-louis-cardinals/2012/6/4/3063867/st-louis-cardinals-draft-2012-michael-wacha

GM Ben needs to remember how he built the 2013 team. I like the idea of the Sox going with the kids. If they are to spend money in free agency, spend it on role players, and pitching.  

[/QUOTE]

He crates balance because with Drew, Salty and Ells gone, Papi and Nava are the only LHH left And Nava is still a partial platoon player.

The Sox have the 29th or 30th pick in the draft. They should have at least 2 comp picks (I think Naps has the only chance to come back) only a few short picks after their original one. They can afford a FA with a QO attached to him.

i dont think Ben "forgot" what he did last year. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt this winter. I would think most here should too. Hes not going to go with the kids if they are not ready when he doesnt have to. were not the Astros.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

They should prioritize his signing! He eliminates leverage for both Ellsbury and Napoli. His bat easily improves the lineup. If Naps takes a powder, no problem because Carp/ Nava combo just divy up his AB's. He's a switchitter and doesn't need a platoon. put him in left or right and call it a day! Then move on to the next position of need. Catcher,RP and SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He crates balance because with Drew, Salty and Ells gone, Papi and Nava are the only LHH left And Nava is still a partial platoon player.

The Sox have the 29th or 30th pick in the draft. They should have at least 2 comp picks (I think Naps has the only chance to come back) only a few short picks after their original one. They can afford a FA with a QO attached to him.

i dont think Ben "forgot" what he did last year. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt this winter. I would think most here should too. Hes not going to go with the kids if they are not ready when he doesnt have to. were not the Astros.

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: No...the Sox "aren't the Astros". But, the quickest way to become the Astros is to sign over-rated veterans to big money, multi-year deals. That's exactly what happened with the 2012 team...remember? That team won 69 games. Let's not let history repeat itself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

RESPONSE: No...the Sox "aren't the Astros". But, the quickest way to become the Astros is to sign over-rated veterans to big money, multi-year deals.

U mean the quickest way to become the yankees , don't ya ;-)

That's exactly what happened with the 2012 team...remember? That team won 69 games. Let's not let history repeat itself.

beltran is old but only  looking 4 a 3 yr deal

nothing like those deals you are referring 2

ben likes 3 yr deals

that said I don't think the sox need him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RESPONSE: No...the Sox "aren't the Astros". But, the quickest way to become the Astros is to sign over-rated veterans to big money, multi-year deals.

U mean the quickest way to become the yankees , don't ya ;-)

RESPONSE: Maybe the Yanks can talk the Dodgers into taking CC, A-Rod, and Tex off their hands...LOL!!!

That's exactly what happened with the 2012 team...remember? That team won 69 games. Let's not let history repeat itself.

beltran is old but only  looking 4 a 3 yr deal, nothing like those deals you are referring 2...ben likes 3 yr deals...that said I don't think the sox need him

RESPONSE: I tend to agree that the Sox could get on without Beltran. That said, do you think that offering him a $45mil., 3 year deal makes sense, salary structure wise or team-building wise, for either the Sox or the Yanks? A two year, $25-30mil. deal should be the highest that the Sox go...and Beltran has already turned down $14mil. for the 2014 season. 

[/QUOTE]