Sox are snakebit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox are snakebit

Snakebit basically means unlucky, but my meaning is that they are playing as though there demise is all but certain. 

It was mostly bad luck that the starting pitching disintegrated this year, and the starting pitching is beyond question the bite of the snake that put the Sox on a very steep downslope.

But there is plenty of stuff that is not simply bad luck.  Like errors, and not just errors, but errors that lead to key unearned runs like last night.  Baserunning errors seem to happen more lately.  Plus these days, now that AGon seems to be hitting the ball really well once again, his slowness on the basepaths seems even more pronounced.  A triple for Ellsbury is an almost double for AGon.  A single will not score him from 2B, regardless of the number of outs.  If he's on 1B, a single will probably get him to 2B, but that too is no longer certain. 

RISP disease seems to have revisited the Sox, especially in late innings.  Last night Ellsbury got lucky to lead off the 9th with catcher interference and a free trip to 1B.  But then Pedroia, who is also now hitting again, hammered the ball at least twice into foul territory, only to end up hitting a tailor made double play ball to the Orioles thirdbaseman.  That, sports fans, is snakebit. 

Another example of snakebit from last night.  Bedard leaves in the 3d inning after giving up 4 runs--only one earned, thanks to Reddick--and the bullpen (Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe)--steps in and basically shuts the Orioles down.  Finally Bard enters in the 7th inning and finishes it easily.  Clearly, he is back with a vengeance.  Not so fast.  In the 8th he gets a strikeout, but gives up two singles, so in comes Papelbon to get what is clearly a crucial save.  He strikes out the first guy easily, but then gives up a single to load the bases with two outs.  After two balls, he finally gets to a 3-2 count, but throws a 97 mph fastball near the middle of the plate and slightly above the middle--result, a bases clearing double to right field (by a righty batter going opposite field), and that was the ball game.  The Sox two best relievers--and two of the best in the AL--blow a lead to the Orioles. 

I am not making excuses for the Sox or Francona or anyone.  I'm just saying that weak starting pitching--the bite of the snake--seems to have infected other parts of the Sox game and very likely the Sox will to win. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amishrockstar. Show amishrockstar's posts

Re: Sox are snakebit

In Response to Sox are snakebit:
    [QUOTE]Snakebit basically means unlucky, but my meaning is that they are playing as though there demise is all but certain.  It was mostly bad luck that the starting pitching disintegrated this year, and the starting pitching is beyond question the bite of the snake that put the Sox on a very steep downslope. But there is plenty of stuff that is not simply bad luck.  Like errors, and not just errors, but errors that lead to key unearned runs like last night.  Baserunning errors seem to happen more lately.  Plus these days, now that AGon seems to be hitting the ball really well once again, his slowness on the basepaths seems even more pronounced.  A triple for Ellsbury is an almost double for AGon.  A single will not score him from 2B, regardless of the number of outs.  If he's on 1B, a single will probably get him to 2B, but that too is no longer certain.  RISP disease seems to have revisited the Sox, especially in late innings.  Last night Ellsbury got lucky to lead off the 9th with catcher interference and a free trip to 1B.  But then Pedroia, who is also now hitting again, hammered the ball at least twice into foul territory, only to end up hitting a tailor made double play ball to the Orioles thirdbaseman.  That, sports fans, is snakebit.  Another example of snakebit from last night.  Bedard leaves in the 3d inning after giving up 4 runs--only one earned, thanks to Reddick--and the bullpen (Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe)--steps in and basically shuts the Orioles down.  Finally Bard enters in the 7th inning and finishes it easily.  Clearly, he is back with a vengeance.  Not so fast.  In the 8th he gets a strikeout, but gives up two singles, so in comes Papelbon to get what is clearly a crucial save.  He strikes out the first guy easily, but then gives up a single to load the bases with two outs.  After two balls, he finally gets to a 3-2 count, but throws a 97 mph fastball near the middle of the plate and slightly above the middle--result, a bases clearing double to right field (by a righty batter going opposite field), and that was the ball game.  The Sox two best relievers--and two of the best in the AL--blow a lead to the Orioles.  I am not making excuses for the Sox or Francona or anyone.  I'm just saying that weak starting pitching--the bite of the snake--seems to have infected other parts of the Sox game and very likely the Sox will to win. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Since there's no way to fix the problem, I've decided to not care. If these boys get to postseason, they get swept. This team is not who we thought they were.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Sox are snakebit:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sox are snakebit : Since there's no way to fix the problem, I've decided to not care. If these boys get to postseason, they get swept. This team is not who we thought they were.
    Posted by amishrockstar[/QUOTE]

Right now, they are what you say they are.  But.  A few good starts, and they are in the playoffs with Beckett and Lester to lead off.  I don't see them getting swept unless, of course, Beckett and Lester both pitch lousy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't see it the same way as you do.

The team is battered and bruised and basically running on about 5 cylinders right now. The teams they are playing and struggling against ( Tampa, Toronto and Baltimore) have little pressure on them as they were not expected to do anything anyway. These teams also have the luxury of knowing our team very well as they play us often.

How many teams can survive the loss of their starting 3rd baseman, starting rightfielder and two starting pitchers ( Matsuzaka and Buchholz) not to mention having the ace (Beckett) and a late season addition (Bedard) have to miss starts at a vital time of the season?

In many ways this year's injuries are more damaging than last year's as I don't believe a 100% healthy team last year would have gone anywhere.Where as we saw what this team did in midseason at about 90% health....erase an early April slide and emerge as a superpower. However no team in baseball can have sufficient depth to replace the calibre of players we have lost, mainly Buchholz, Beckett, Bedard ( despite his W-L, his ERA with Seattle was quite good) and Youkilis....with 3 0f 4 back to at least 85 % health maybe we stand a chance in postseason. Sure would like to have Youkilis at 100% , however, this is not going to happen.

I remain optimistic and I am usually a very cynical fan. Call me crazy, but I still see hope as I know other teams have issues also...except , maybe Philly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good words, Zillagod.  As my second post suggests, I'm not all that pessimistic.

Losing the thirdbaseman, Youk, has been bad because according to fangraphs he was ranked third among all thirdbasemen in MLB.  But Drew in RF was no great loss.  Good defender, but not much at the plate this year.  RF is a Sox weakness, but would still be a weakness with Drew in there.  Plus of course very team has injuries, etc, not just the Sox. 

The loss of Matsuzaka appears to have helped more than it hurt--thus, without him, the Sox played great ball in late April and all of May, June, and July. 

The loss of Buchholz, on the other hand, hurt a lot.  Ditto the disastrous year of Lackey, the missed starts by Beckett, and consistency issues, especially in terms of limiting his innings pitched, with Lester.  Plus, really, no good backups from the farm system.  Instead, the likes of Weiland and Miller.  But the Yankees have also had starting pitching issues and have dealt with them far better than the Sox. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Yeah , yeah , that's it.  Snakebit and injuries, that's the problem. Darn the luck. Why if it weren't for that , blah, blah , blah, etc. ,etc , etc. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Sox are snakebit:
    [QUOTE]Snakebit basically means unlucky, but my meaning is that they are playing as though there demise is all but certain.  It was mostly bad luck that the starting pitching disintegrated this year, and the starting pitching is beyond question the bite of the snake that put the Sox on a very steep downslope. But there is plenty of stuff that is not simply bad luck.  Like errors, and not just errors, but errors that lead to key unearned runs like last night.  Baserunning errors seem to happen more lately.  Plus these days, now that AGon seems to be hitting the ball really well once again, his slowness on the basepaths seems even more pronounced.  A triple for Ellsbury is an almost double for AGon.  A single will not score him from 2B, regardless of the number of outs.  If he's on 1B, a single will probably get him to 2B, but that too is no longer certain.  RISP disease seems to have revisited the Sox, especially in late innings.  Last night Ellsbury got lucky to lead off the 9th with catcher interference and a free trip to 1B.  But then Pedroia, who is also now hitting again, hammered the ball at least twice into foul territory, only to end up hitting a tailor made double play ball to the Orioles thirdbaseman.  That, sports fans, is snakebit.  Another example of snakebit from last night.  Bedard leaves in the 3d inning after giving up 4 runs--only one earned, thanks to Reddick--and the bullpen (Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe)--steps in and basically shuts the Orioles down.  Finally Bard enters in the 7th inning and finishes it easily.  Clearly, he is back with a vengeance.  Not so fast.  In the 8th he gets a strikeout, but gives up two singles, so in comes Papelbon to get what is clearly a crucial save.  He strikes out the first guy easily, but then gives up a single to load the bases with two outs.  After two balls, he finally gets to a 3-2 count, but throws a 97 mph fastball near the middle of the plate and slightly above the middle--result, a bases clearing double to right field (by a righty batter going opposite field), and that was the ball game.  The Sox two best relievers--and two of the best in the AL--blow a lead to the Orioles.  I am not making excuses for the Sox or Francona or anyone.  I'm just saying that weak starting pitching--the bite of the snake--seems to have infected other parts of the Sox game and very likely the Sox will to win. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

How can you call horrible starting pitching snake-bit? FYI, after the error, Bedard could have gotten guys out, but he didn't. The unearned run doesn't necessarily take the pitcher off the hook. Bedard still stunk after the error.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

As a Sox fan for the past 46 years, I ask all fans to try and see this as a season, one of many for those who root for the Sox. The injuries have contributed, and perhaps we have become a bit too demanding after 2004 and 2007.  I lived through the 25 cabs for 25 guys years , no chemistry, but talented individuals,  where we could hit the hide off the ball but could not find the pitching. If we don't make the playoffs, I would be very disappointed, but from the long perspective of 46 years, man think about how I felt between 1966 and 2004.... a long drought of hoping, almost getting there, always falling a bit short. If we don't make the playoffs, the injuries surely hurt and the lesson for next year, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH QUALITY PITCHING,!!!

[QUOTE]I don't see it the same way as you do. The team is battered and bruised and basically running on about 5 cylinders right now. The teams they are playing and struggling against ( Tampa, Toronto and Baltimore) have little pressure on them as they were not expected to do anything anyway. These teams also have the luxury of knowing our team very well as they play us often. How many teams can survive the loss of their starting 3rd baseman, starting rightfielder and two starting pitchers ( Matsuzaka and Buchholz) not to mention having the ace (Beckett) and a late season addition (Bedard) have to miss starts at a vital time of the season? In many ways this year's injuries are more damaging than last year's as I don't believe a 100% healthy team last year would have gone anywhere.Where as we saw what this team did in midseason at about 90% health....erase an early April slide and emerge as a superpower. However no team in baseball can have sufficient depth to replace the calibre of players we have lost, mainly Buchholz, Beckett, Bedard ( despite his W-L, his ERA with Seattle was quite good) and Youkilis....with 3 0f 4 back to at least 85 % health maybe we stand a chance in postseason. Sure would like to have Youkilis at 100% , however, this is not going to happen. I remain optimistic and I am usually a very cynical fan. Call me crazy, but I still see hope as I know other teams have issues also...except , maybe Philly.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Luck really has nothing to do with this team's demise.

They choked, plain and simple.  There is zero starting pitching on this team beyond Beckett. The silver lining, if there is one, is that the Yanks aren't going to the WS either.  So either the media will ravage the Sox for choking and missing the playoffs, or they'll ravage the team when they lose their opening series.

Not sure which is better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see it the same way as you do. The team is battered and bruised and basically running on about 5 cylinders right now. The teams they are playing and struggling against ( Tampa, Toronto and Baltimore) have little pressure on them as they were not expected to do anything anyway. These teams also have the luxury of knowing our team very well as they play us often. How many teams can survive the loss of their starting 3rd baseman, starting rightfielder and two starting pitchers ( Matsuzaka and Buchholz) not to mention having the ace (Beckett) and a late season addition (Bedard) have to miss starts at a vital time of the season? In many ways this year's injuries are more damaging than last year's as I don't believe a 100% healthy team last year would have gone anywhere.Where as we saw what this team did in midseason at about 90% health....erase an early April slide and emerge as a superpower. However no team in baseball can have sufficient depth to replace the calibre of players we have lost, mainly Buchholz, Beckett, Bedard ( despite his W-L, his ERA with Seattle was quite good) and Youkilis....with 3 0f 4 back to at least 85 % health maybe we stand a chance in postseason. Sure would like to have Youkilis at 100% , however, this is not going to happen. I remain optimistic and I am usually a very cynical fan. Call me crazy, but I still see hope as I know other teams have issues also...except , maybe Philly.
    ==================================================
      While I agree to a point with your analogy,we`ve lost numerous games by,watching a called 3rd strike on a 3-2 count with bases loaded to end a game,getting caught trying to steal 3rd with a hot hitter up to end a game,numerous STUPID base running blunders,dropping fly balls to end innings or to keep rallys going for the opponents,passed balls,wild pitches etc. One thing after another. Yeah a few bad calls here and there, but for the most part,this team has shot it`s own self in the butt time and time again.Stop making excuses for just plain stinking up the joint.
      "We are what our record says we are"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I can name a team that did this year, but you won't like it Zilla.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Excuse.

Team has lacked focus and effort, and Wakefield ceremonial tour and early caution and coast put team in low performance mode. Still time to recover, but GM needs to be fired ever if Sox do well in playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah , yeah , that's it.  Snakebit and injuries, that's the problem. Darn the luck. Why if it weren't for that , blah, blah , blah, etc. ,etc , etc. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I thought I was reading last's years posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

[QUOTE]As a Sox fan for the past 46 years, I ask all fans to try and see this as a season, one of many for those who root for the Sox. The injuries have contributed, and perhaps we have become a bit too demanding after 2004 and 2007.  I lived through the 25 cabs for 25 guys years , no chemistry, but talented individuals,  where we could hit the hide off the ball but could not find the pitching. If we don't make the playoffs, I would be very disappointed, but from the long perspective of 46 years, man think about how I felt between 1966 and 2004.... a long drought of hoping, almost getting there, always falling a bit short. If we don't make the playoffs, the injuries surely hurt and the lesson for next year, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH QUALITY PITCHING,!!! In Response to Re: Sox are snakebit :
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]
    This post would NEVER get on the Yankee post!Yell 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

Fans should leave the seats empty the remainder of the season. Why spend hard earned money to get soooo aggravated. SEND A MESSAGE!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

I would like to nominate ADG as  loyal fan of the year.