Sox August Schedule

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Sox August Schedule

Thank God the Soxx have been a great road team so far this year, because the upcoming schedule for the rest of August is ridiculous....how do the schedule makes come up with...3 games in Minny then 3 games in Seattle, back home across the country for 3 games against TB(was supposed to be a 2 game homestand, but 3 due to makeup game from April) and then back out on the road for 4 in KC and 4 in Texas. I havent checked other teams so I am sure there is craziness in others schedules also.....but a 2 game homestand that where you are flying in from Seattle and then back out to KC? To take a positive spin, if the Sox can win 8 or 9 of the next 14 games, they will 19 of their final 32 games at home  and will be in great shape to wrap up division

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Sox August Schedule

That Texas series in Arlington is the one circled on the calendar in my third eye.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

There's a reason why team mottos are typically one game at a time, when you look at that schedule it can seem like the odds are stacked against Boston, but I'm confident the team can handle this. Hopefully we start with a Seattle sweep!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Yankee schedule is much worse - they have 3 at home against the Rays, and 3 against the A's.  Other than that, all August games are road games, including a double-header in Baltimore.  Then, in September, with 2 weeks to go in the season, they have a west coast swing, with 3 in Seattle, followed by 3 in Anaheim.  When they get back, 9 of their last 13 are against the Sox and Rays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule:
    [QUOTE]The Yankee schedule is much worse - they have 3 at home against the Rays, and 3 against the A's.  Other than that, all August games are road games, including a double-header in Baltimore.  Then, in September, with 2 weeks to go in the season, they have a west coast swing, with 3 in Seattle, followed by 3 in Anaheim.  When they get back, 9 of their last 13 are against the Sox and Rays.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

And yet, for your prediction about the Yankees folding out of the PS to come true, a poster on a recent thread (A RS fan, no less); calculated the odds at 0.2 %.  Good luck with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : And yet, for your prediction about the Yankees folding out of the PS to come true, a poster on a recent thread (A RS fan, no less); calculated the odds at 0.2 %.  Good luck with that.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

No offense to my fellow RS fan, but I think he needs to re-do his math.  Things can change in a hurry in baseball.  Just ask the Pirates :)

What would the odds be if the Rays sweep this weekend?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : No offense to my fellow RS fan, but I think he needs to re-do his math.  Things can change in a hurry in baseball.  Just ask the Pirates :) What would the odds be if the Rays sweep this weekend?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Baseball Prospectus has the Yankees chance of making the postseason at 99.4%.  Your predicition doesn't look so good.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]The Yankee schedule is much worse - they have 3 at home against the Rays, and 3 against the A's.  Other than that, all August games are road games, including a double-header in Baltimore.  Then, in September, with 2 weeks to go in the season, they have a west coast swing, with 3 in Seattle, followed by 3 in Anaheim.  When they get back, 9 of their last 13 are against the Sox and Rays.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I wasnt commenting on strength of schedule just the travel pattern. The Yankees West Coast swing in Sept is the normal 6 games(3 Sea,3 Angels) followed by 3 in Toronto on the way back east. The Sox going west from Minny for 3 games in SEA, then back home for 2 games, and then back out KC, is stupid scheduling.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The 4 game set in Texas is our only major challenge remaining on the schedule IMHO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : No offense to my fellow RS fan, but I think he needs to re-do his math.  Things can change in a hurry in baseball.  Just ask the Pirates :) What would the odds be if the Rays sweep this weekend?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

LOL, you're using the Pirates as a point of reference for the Yankees? Better to use the '78 BoSox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

September will be brutal. Except for the 3 games against Texas, the rest of the games are against the ALE, and don't count out Tampa yet. Plenty of opportunity to close the 9.5 game deficit on either us or NY, and the Jays are lurking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]September will be brutal. Except for the 3 games against Texas, the rest of the games are against the ALE, and don't count out Tampa yet. Plenty of opportunity to close the 9.5 game deficit on either us or NY, and the Jays are lurking.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Yeah man.  Gotta love it.  A.L. East.  

I know it goes against your quaint old-school notions, but, I'm thinkin' Tito's resting of regulars and judicious use of the pen that drives your ilk so nuts, might just have a little something to do with September in the Beast.  We're all weeping and gnashing teeth if Bard is deadarmed and Dusty is suckin' wind  in the stretch,neck and neck with the Yankes and Tampa/Toronto coming up in the rearview.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]September will be brutal. Except for the 3 games against Texas, the rest of the games are against the ALE, and don't count out Tampa yet. Plenty of opportunity to close the 9.5 game deficit on either us or NY, and the Jays are lurking.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

September is always tough in the AL EAST...so of course you are right on, but if we take 2 of 3 or sweep the Rays in Fenway next week, I think they would be hanging by a thread. and then it comes down to the Rangers/Angels loser has the only team that could cause us or the Yankees to miss the Post Season and they have to play each other 10 more times, in which we gain each way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : Yeah man.  Gotta love it.  A.L. East.   I know it goes against your quaint old-school notions, but, I'm thinkin' Tito's resting of regulars and judicious use of the pen that drives your ilk so nuts, might just have a little something to do with September in the Beast.  We're all weeping and gnashing teeth if Bard is deadarmed and Dusty is suckin' wind  in the stretch,neck and neck with the Yankes and Tampa/Toronto coming up in the rearview.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Yes; Only the fickle fan would not realize this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : LOL, you're using the Pirates as a point of reference for the Yankees? Better to use the '78 BoSox.

Either way, a natural correction occurred.  Would a comparison to last year's Yankee team offend you?  That team went 23-22 in their last 45.  With 15 games left against the Rays and Sox, you would have to admit a repeat performance would put their post-season in jeopardy.  It may not be a likely outcome, but surely it's better than .2%?

Sabathia had better be sharp tonight, because after that it's Hellickson vs Hughes & Shields vs. Garcia.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : Either way, a natural correction occurred.  Would a comparison to last year's Yankee team offend you?  That team went 23-22 in their last 45.  With 15 games left against the Rays and Sox, you would have to admit a repeat performance would put their post-season in jeopardy.  It may not be a likely outcome, but surely it's better than .2%? Sabathia had better be sharp tonight, because after that it's Hellickson vs Hughes & Shields vs. Garcia.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

If they should repeat that, another team would still have to play around .660 ball to beat them out.

Except Garcia has a better ERA than Lester; who knew?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]hey Slo, that O's series mayl actually be a 5 game set because there are scheduled games for Sunday and Monday...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Garcia may have a better era than Lester but who has won more games for their team....nothing is more important than winning games

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Day off between Minny and Seattle.  Day off between Seattle and TB.
    It's the rest that's tough, but these are big boys and I think they can handle a few plane rides and still play well.

I agree with the above posters.  It's the Texas series that's glaring me in the face.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

No one travels more than the Mariners...these guys are all used to it and with the recent addition of the travel day games that are now in voague, it's become even easier on the team that has to fly to the next stop on the trip.

While I agree it's a little wacky to travel accross the country then back for one series and then head out west again for the players and coaches all they need to do is make sure they're on the plane everything else is taken care of by the teams travel coordinators. Not that much of big deal...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Garcia may have a better era than Lester but who has won more games for their team....nothing is more important than winning games
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Based on what you said on the MO thread just today (about Sox starters having a better ERA, which is actually false), aren't you talking out of both sides of your mouth? What a joke.

-------------------------------------

Re: MO LOW BLOWS FOR MO!

posted at 8/12/2011 4:04 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=adf67c0d6ae12c9a8a9fbcd0442542f8&plckUserId=adf67c0d6ae12c9a8a9fbcd0442542f8">
    First: 6/2/2011
    Last: 8/12/2011
    Mikey, the sox don't need a closer as badly as
     the yankees do.  The sox starters go deeper
    into game and
    have a
    much better era than the 
    yankees starters.

The yankees NEED a great closer just to stay close
     to the sox.
    I may be retired but still relavancy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

so  you agrees with me nh.  Lester is much better pitching than Garcia.  Glad to see you are beginning to coming around to sensability.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox August Schedule : If they should repeat that, another team would still have to play around .660 ball to beat them out. Except Garcia has a better ERA than Lester; who knew?

Shields has a lower ERA than both, plus the WHIP to support it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I think the September schedule is crazier, not with travel, but basically two full weeks playing the Jays/Rays with only 2 days off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]so  you agrees with me nh.  Lester is much better pitching than Garcia.  Glad to see you are beginning to coming around to sensability.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Not that I wnat to get in between you and NH but it doesn't take a rocket scienetist to answer that question. Lester has only one equal on the Yank's staff and that's Sabathia.

Garcia is much like Andy Petitte (the last few years of his career), once a power pitcher, now get's by on guile and command...Both are/were crafty vet's that learned to use the hitters agression against themselves. Throwing offspeed stuff in hitters counts and pitching on the black. Both have a snack for getting hitters to chase pitches out of the zone even in hitters counts...Petitte used the cutter, Garcia uses the splitter...

Sections
Shortcuts