Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million

The Red Sox and reliever Andrew Bailey have avoided arbitration by settling on a 2012 salary of $3.9 million plus $100,000 in incentives, according to this tweet from Jon Heyman of CBS Sportsline:

https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/162289176300105729

The contract edges the Sox closer to the luxury tax threshold. MLB Trade Rumors had projected a 2012 salary of $3.5 million for Bailey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million

But it was settled closer to the Sox offer than to what Bailey asked. 

If only they could shred Ortiz's salary.  If he won't sign a team-friendly 2-year plus 3rd year option/buyout, then I hope he gets his asking price and then plays like garbage for the first 6 weeks.  Then the Sox can dump his selfish azz and be done with him sooner than later.  His contract and inability to play the field are huge shackles on the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million:
    [QUOTE]But it was settled closer to the Sox offer than to what Bailey asked.  If only they could shred Ortiz's salary.  If he won't sign a team-friendly 2-year plus 3rd year option/buyout, then I hope he gets his asking price and then plays like garbage for the first 6 weeks.  Then the Sox can dump his selfish azz and be done with him sooner than later.  His contract and inability to play the field are huge shackles on the team.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Ortiz produces his home runs and RBI's, in 2012 Lackey and Dice-K's inability to stay on the field and pitch will be shackles, making the Sox have to operate with huge amounts of payroll dedicated to the DL. Get it right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million : Ortiz produces his home runs and RBI's, in 2012 Lackey and Dice-K's inability to stay on the field and pitch will be shackles, making the Sox have to operate with huge amounts of payroll dedicated to the DL. Get it right.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

So... are you saying the Sox should try to move Lackey and Daisuke instead?  Or have their agents re-work their deals and reduce their personal commission?

The Sox shouldn't have offered Ortiz arbitration. That was not a smart move, because NO ONE was going to give him more money than the Sox would be required to, and no one was going to offer him a multi-year deal to entice him away with the strong possibility of expanded interleague play coming assoon as 2013.  There was no way they were getting some other team's first round pick wth all that working against them.

They should have not offered arbitration and then, if still they wanted him back, tried to make a smarter deal...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million : Ortiz produces his home runs and RBI's, in 2012 Lackey and Dice-K's inability to stay on the field and pitch will be shackles, making the Sox have to operate with huge amounts of payroll dedicated to the DL. Get it right.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Sox had no choice in Lackey's and Dice-K's inability to pitch in 2012.  I don't see these situations in any way comparable to the Ortiz situation, which is why I did not mention them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

3.75 was the fair #, close enough.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million : Sox had no choice in Lackey's and Dice-K's inability to pitch in 2012.  I don't see these situations in any way comparable to the Ortiz situation, which is why I did not mention them.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true.  Supposedly the injury to Lackey happened in April last year.  He'd almost be ready to return for the start of the season if he had the surgery then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox, Bailey settle at $3.9 million :...  The Sox shouldn't have offered Ortiz arbitration. That was not a smart move, because NO ONE was going to give him more money than the Sox would be required to, and no one was going to offer him a multi-year deal to entice him away with the strong possibility of expanded interleague play coming assoon as 2013.  There was no way they were getting some other team's first round pick wth all that working against them. They should have not offered arbitration and then, if still they wanted him back, tried to make a smarter deal...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Notin, to me, Papi was the biggest decision the Sox had this winter...but not an easy one.  Not that our DH "conundrum" should have been deferred to Cern, but that the others were obvious e.g. we need to replace Papelbon and get more SPs.

I reckon they rolled the dice by offering arb to Papi, assuming he'd decline and they'd pick up some draft choices. But they "lost", the question is by how much? If we can accept arb then cut him in the spring, I'd do it and take the heat....maybe that's cold-blooded, tough, he's made millions, now he's wildly overpaid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brown615. Show Brown615's posts

I think Bailey at 3.9 mil is fine and I think he will do a fine job.  I expect some inconsistancy this first year but acceptable results.  He'll do a better job as he goes on with the Sox and gets confortable.

What's the problem with Ortiz. I'd like to see a 2 year plus option, but apparently David is pushing for a little more.  Can you blame him?  Note that the Sox offered a little low.  That way they can settle a little above the middle ground and be OK; and David will feel good as well.  Face it, who would you replace him with?  Yes, big bats were available, however, the Sox did not need to pay Fielder type money.  Ortiz is perfect; not cheap, but reasonable compared to Fielder money.

I think the Sox are going to be fine.  Would like to see one more dependable starting pitcher, even if only a healthy No. 5 who can eat innnings.  Everyone buried Wake when he was trying to get his 200th win.  However, I believe if you check the box scores, he left several games in the lead and reliefers blew the lead.

Soxalot615.  let's play 2!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

brown---I think you are being overly kind re. Ortiz. He had a wonderful 2011 but @ $16.5 that should be the amount for two years. Given the situation the Sox find themselves in today--I would guess 2 of the 3 owners, today, wish they had not offered arb.
    Youk could have been the DH for one or perhaps the next two years.

I do feel between Bailey, Melancon & Jenks they will have the closers role covered.
    I am very pleased Pap is gone--I wish him nothing but the best.
    The set up guys of Aceves, Morales, Albers and Rich Hill when he gets back will be a plus to the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts