Sox - Better than drones on this site think.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think.

In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : Fair points, Geo, about the loss of good players.  However, I don't think we can bank on the idea that the other teams are considerably stronger.  They may be considerably stronger on paper, like the 2011 Red Sox were, but sometimes the reality can be very different than the public perception of how a team may perform.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

let's hope Yukon.....we could get that perfect storm of Youk/Clay coming back strong, Papi keeping it up, Josh/Lester not fading, Dice coming back strong in 2nd half, Salty stepping up, and all the new guys playing real well....but i think the only things that you can count on are ells, pedey, and agon...and god forbid if one of them underperforms/is injured....

thats a lot to hope for...me? im just going to enjoy bobby V as a manager and watching some of the new guys perform/esp Iggy...a wild card this year would be pretty amazing...imo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox still have a very good team , no question about that.  I don't see that they are any better than last year, though.  Problem is that the competition is much improved. Hopefully , Valentine can make a difference.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : let's hope Yukon.....we could get that perfect storm of Youk/Clay coming back strong, Papi keeping it up, Josh/Lester not fading, Dice coming back strong in 2nd half, Salty stepping up, and all the new guys playing real well....but i think the only things that you can count on are ells, pedey, and agon...and god forbid if one of them underperforms/is injured.... thats a lot to hope for...me? im just going to enjoy bobby V as a manager and watching some of the new guys perform/esp Iggy...a wild card this year would be pretty amazing...imo
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

The same can be said for any team in MLB. Every team has question marks. The Red Sox were the best team in baseball for all but two months last season. With the core of that team returning, a revamped BP and players coming back from injury, I think the prospect of being better than last year are pretty good! 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Baloney! The Sox are not as good as the team that ended 2011.
    They lost one of the best closers in MLB history, and replaced him with a lesser light.
    They start with one decent OF. No shortstop. Question marks in the rotation, and the bullpen.
    Meanwhile, The Tigers, Jays, Rangers, Yankees, Angels and Rays, have all improved by off season moves.
    Vegas doesn't rank the Sox in the top SIX for winning the World Series.
    This team has chosen to act like a small market team, dumpster diving, instead of biting the bullet and going over the luxury tax ceiling.
    Pathetic!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

THIS OFF SEASON! GET IT?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]Baloney! The Sox are not as good as the team that ended 2011. They lost one of the best closers in MLB history, and replaced him with a lesser light. They start with one decent OF. No shortstop. Question marks in the rotation, and the bullpen. Meanwhile, The Tigers, Jays, Rangers, Yankees, Angels and Rays, have all improved by off season moves. Vegas doesn't rank the Sox in the top SIX for winning the World Series. This team has chosen to act like a small market team, dumpster diving, instead of biting the bullet and going over the luxury tax ceiling. Pathetic!
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

You're ridiculous...Closer of lesser light you say? Let's look at these numbers:

Bailey:2009-2011 ERA 2.07 WHIP 0.95 SV%89
    Papelbon : 09-11 ERA 2.89 WHIP 1.10 SV%88

Let's not forget that with the new platoon in RF we should be getting an OPS that's about .200 better!

Let's not forget that Scutaro was no defensive wizard, and while he was clutch in September, that was the extent of his clutchability. Iglesias may not be a feared hitter, but when he gets up to the bigs this year (and he will) he will save soooo many more runs than Scutty it's not even funny.

Question marks in the BP? The additions of Melancon and Bailey are nothing but positives. Chances are Bard will be back there too (I'd prefer to see Aceves in the rotation behind Oswald or Floyd) With those three, talk about innings 7/8/9 being game over! 

(**UPDATE**) With the return of Buccholz, the top 3 are one of the best in the majors! If you think the FO is going to stand pat with only have a solid 1-3 you're just kidding yourself. Whether it's Oswalt, Floyd or Jackson, the Sox will add another arm and I would take any of those pitchers in the 4-5 slot! I see a lot of people crying about injuries but the fact is, any other team could also have an injury to their top 3 and that would make them just as fallable as the Sox would be. 

I think you place too much faith in the moves other teams have made, and no faith in the moves we have made. Sure, there were no blockbusters this offseason but you can't continually spend, spend, spend! If we did, we'd be no better than the Stankees 

CC and Agon will be in their second year with the Olde Towne Team and I think that will do nothing but help them improve. Crawford can do nothing but improve and with Gonzo's shoulder at full strength, I hope to see big things from them (not that Gonzo had a bad year last season)

The Sox won 90 games last year and with all of the moves we have made PLUS the addition of a great in-game (and clubhouse) manager in Bobby V, I see nothing but improvement this year. 

The only thing I see as pathetic is your lack of faith. Can't wait for the Sox to get deep into the post-season so I can see you and geo eat crow! 

Put your money on that Vegas!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : You're ridiculous...Closer of lesser light you say? Let's look at these numbers: Bailey:2009-2011 ERA 2.07 WHIP 0.95 SV%89 Papelbon : 09-11 ERA 2.89 WHIP 1.10 SV%88 Let's not forget that with the new platoon in RF we should be getting an OPS that's about .200 better! Let's not forget that Scutaro was no defensive wizard, and while he was clutch in September, that was the extent of his clutchability. Iglesias may not be a feared hitter, but when he gets up to the bigs this year (and he will) he will save soooo many more runs than Scutty it's not even funny. Question marks in the BP? The additions of Melancon and Bailey are nothing but positives. Chances are Bard will be back there too (I'd prefer to see Aceves in the rotation behind Oswald or Floyd) With those three, talk about innings 7/8/9 being game over!  I think you place too much faith in the moves other teams have made, and no faith in the moves we have made. Sure, there were no blockbusters this offseason but you can't continually spend, spend, spend! If we did, we'd be no better than the Stankees  CC and Agon will be in their second year with the Olde Towne Team and I think that will do nothing but help them improve. Crawford can do nothing but improve and with Gonzo's shoulder at full strength, I hope to see big things from them (not that Gonzo had a bad year last season) The Sox won 90 games last year and with all of the moves we have made PLUS the addition of a great in-game (and clubhouse) manager in Bobby V, I see nothing but improvement this year.  The only thing I see as pathetic is your lack of faith. Can't wait for the Sox to get deep into the post-season so I can see you and geo eat crow!  Put your money on that Vegas!
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

No mention of the starting rotation?  Other than being presumptious that Oswalt or Floyd will be acquired?  The most important ingredient to any team's success.........Hmmmm.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : No mention of the starting rotation?  Other than being presumptious that Oswalt or Floyd will be acquired?  The most important ingredient to any team's success.........Hmmmm.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

My bad, I forgot a paragraph. I added it for you. Sorry, tough to concentrate on sports writing while also taking notes in Biological Anthropolgy! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Again, overly presumptious to think the Sox will add 1-2 more starters of any quality given their actions have indicated a strong desire to stay under the LT Threshold.

Another presumption is that Buck will be able to get 30 starts

Another presumption is that Beckett and Lester will be better than how they finished the season

What happens if there is another injury?  Who fills in?

Sorry, but you're overlooking the rotation was for good reason - if you do that you can see a very good team.  However, when taking into account the most important spots on any roster, this team looks very vulnerable very quickly.  Especially in light that at least 4 other teams have better starting pitching. 

The only way the Sox make the playoffs is if Beckett Lester and Buck all have excellent seasons.  I would not bet on that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Typical Red Sox never do anything wrong ballwashers.
    Anyone who thinks Bailey is better than Paps, is a fool.
    This is an incomplete team, while many have improved, this team got weaker.
    Take your stats, which are for losers, and shove them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : You're ridiculous...Closer of lesser light you say? Let's look at these numbers: Bailey:2009-2011 ERA 2.07 WHIP 0.95 SV%89 Papelbon : 09-11 ERA 2.89 WHIP 1.10 SV%88 Let's not forget that with the new platoon in RF we should be getting an OPS that's about .200 better! Let's not forget that Scutaro was no defensive wizard, and while he was clutch in September, that was the extent of his clutchability. Iglesias may not be a feared hitter, but when he gets up to the bigs this year (and he will) he will save soooo many more runs than Scutty it's not even funny. Question marks in the BP? The additions of Melancon and Bailey are nothing but positives. Chances are Bard will be back there too (I'd prefer to see Aceves in the rotation behind Oswald or Floyd) With those three, talk about innings 7/8/9 being game over!  (**UPDATE**) With the return of Buccholz, the top 3 are one of the best in the majors! If you think the FO is going to stand pat with only have a solid 1-3 you're just kidding yourself. Whether it's Oswalt, Floyd or Jackson, the Sox will add another arm and I would take any of those pitchers in the 4-5 slot! I see a lot of people crying about injuries but the fact is, any other team could also have an injury to their top 3 and that would make them just as fallable as the Sox would be.  I think you place too much faith in the moves other teams have made, and no faith in the moves we have made. Sure, there were no blockbusters this offseason but you can't continually spend, spend, spend! If we did, we'd be no better than the Stankees  CC and Agon will be in their second year with the Olde Towne Team and I think that will do nothing but help them improve. Crawford can do nothing but improve and with Gonzo's shoulder at full strength, I hope to see big things from them (not that Gonzo had a bad year last season) The Sox won 90 games last year and with all of the moves we have made PLUS the addition of a great in-game (and clubhouse) manager in Bobby V, I see nothing but improvement this year.  The only thing I see as pathetic is your lack of faith. Can't wait for the Sox to get deep into the post-season so I can see you and geo eat crow!  Put your money on that Vegas!
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

thats not going to happen - im usually right about things....

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Excellence doesn't take a vacation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Pessimists / skeptics / cynics / wet blankets is what makes this forum work. It is entirely sad but it is true. They are mot newbies but are regulars. Keep letting them toy with you and make a fool out of you. They love rattling your chain, ringing your bell, and bringing up your blood pressure. They get a kick out of pretending.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I'm just going to do what I always do, sit back and enjoy the season.  The Sox are better than most of the teams in the AL, and that gives them a good chance to make the playoffs.  

I don't understand the doom and gloomers.  I mean, you have the right to feel that way, but to me it misses the point of baseball.  Baseball is there to be enjoyed.  I enjoyed the Sox during the bad times, so I am enjoying them even more over the last decade.  To me, this is a great time to be a Sox fan, but then, it is always a great time to be a baseball fan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : No mention of the starting rotation?  Other than being presumptious that Oswalt or Floyd will be acquired?  The most important ingredient to any team's success.........Hmmmm.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz are as good as any top 3, if healthy.  They gave the Sox 75 starts last season.  It's not a stretch to project them to provide at least that many starts between them this year.

Bard or Aceves and then whoever should be better than Lackey, Wakefield, Weiland, Miller, Dice, and whoever else we threw out there last year.  Lackey was terrible last year, and he comprised 28 starts.  It won't take much to improve upon that.

As few starts as we got from our projected starting rotation, we still won 90 games.   Even with the poor pitching, the likelihood that the team would only win 7 games in September is astronomically low.  It was an anomaly that the Sox only won 90 games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just going to do what I always do, sit back and enjoy the season.  The Sox are better than most of the teams in the AL, and that gives them a good chance to make the playoffs.   I don't understand the doom and gloomers.  I mean, you have the right to feel that way, but to me it misses the point of baseball.  Baseball is there to be enjoyed.  I enjoyed the Sox during the bad times, so I am enjoying them even more over the last decade.  To me, this is a great time to be a Sox fan, but then, it is always a great time to be a baseball fan.
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

Very well said, fizsh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz are as good as any top 3, if healthy.  They gave the Sox 75 starts last season.  It's not a stretch to project them to provide at least that many starts between them this year. Bard or Aceves and then whoever should be better than Lackey, Wakefield, Weiland, Miller, Dice, and whoever else we threw out there last year.  Lackey was terrible last year, and he comprised 28 starts.  It won't take much to improve upon that.   As few starts as we got from our projected starting rotation, we still won 90 games.   Even with the poor pitching, the likelihood that the team would only win 7 games in September is astronomically low.  It was an anomaly that the Sox only won 90 games.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

AMEN! Finally some people having my back!