Sox - Better than drones on this site think.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Sox - Better than drones on this site think.

Every time the Sox make a depth move, or another team signs another player, tons of commenters complain about how the Sox are going to suck. Look at their roster, and tell me how this isn't going to be one of the best teams in the AL. They don't need a superstar at every position. Get over last season, all ready.

1. Ellsbury (MVP Capable)
    2. Pedroia (MVP Capable)
    3. Gonzalez (MVP Capable)
    4. Youk
    5. Ortiz
    6. Crawford (MVP Capable) He will bounce back.
    7. Ross
    8. Salty/Lavarnway.... not sure why they signed .180 hitter Shoppach
    9. Punto

1. Lester (CY Young Capable)
    2. Beckett (CY Young Capable)
    3. Buccholz (Cy Young Capable)
    4. Oswalt - when they sign him, it's coming.
    5. Bard/Aceves --- Who knows with Bard, he could be great or could end up back in the pen.

Bull pen:
    7th- Jenks/Aceves/Bard
    8th- Melancon
    9th- Bailey

You guys are foolish to even think that the Red Sox are going to be bad, and that this years singing have been bad. Get over last year and quit being so Damn negative.
    1/25/2012 12:38 AM EST
    Recommended (1)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think.

In Response to Sox - Better than drones on this site think.:
    [QUOTE]Every time the Sox make a depth move, or another team signs another player, tons of commenters complain about how the Sox are going to suck. Look at their roster, and tell me how this isn't going to be one of the best teams in the AL. They don't need a superstar at every position. Get over last season, all ready. 1. Ellsbury (MVP Capable) 2. Pedroia (MVP Capable) 3. Gonzalez (MVP Capable) 4. Youk 5. Ortiz 6. Crawford (MVP Capable) He will bounce back. 7. Ross 8. Salty/Lavarnway.... not sure why they signed .180 hitter Shoppach 9. Punto 1. Lester (CY Young Capable) 2. Beckett (CY Young Capable) 3. Buccholz (Cy Young Capable) 4. Oswalt - when they sign him, it's coming. 5. Bard/Aceves --- Who knows with Bard, he could be great or could end up back in the pen. Bull pen: 7th- Jenks/Aceves/Bard 8th- Melancon 9th- Bailey You guys are foolish to even think that the Red Sox are going to be bad, and that this years singing have been bad. Get over last year and quit being so Damn negative. 1/25/2012 12:38 AM EST Recommended (1) Report abuse
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Well said....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]Every time the Sox make a depth move, or another team signs another player, tons of commenters complain about how the Sox are going to suck. Look at their roster, and tell me how this isn't going to be one of the best teams in the AL. They don't need a superstar at every position. Get over last season, all ready. 1. Ellsbury (MVP Capable) 2. Pedroia (MVP Capable) 3. Gonzalez (MVP Capable) 4. Youk 5. Ortiz 6. Crawford (MVP Capable) He will bounce back. 7. Ross 8. Salty/Lavarnway.... not sure why they signed .180 hitter Shoppach 9. Punto 1. Lester (CY Young Capable) 2. Beckett (CY Young Capable) 3. Buccholz (Cy Young Capable) 4. Oswalt - when they sign him, it's coming. 5. Bard/Aceves --- Who knows with Bard, he could be great or could end up back in the pen. Bull pen: 7th- Jenks/Aceves/Bard 8th- Melancon 9th- Bailey You guys are foolish to even think that the Red Sox are going to be bad, and that this years singing have been bad. Get over last year and quit being so Damn negative. 1/25/2012 12:38 AM EST Recommended (1) Report abuse

Couldn't have said it any better !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sorry but the sox arent better than they were last year even....scutaro & paps replacements wont be as good.....Papi had a great year last year...can it happen it again??? our pitching is so shaky it is scary given the injuries and fatheads that comprise it....oswalt would be a great boost but hey, at least we have cody ross!  crawford is hurt, and can we really expect Papi to repeat last years stats at his advanced age?

i think we will do about as well as last year...90 wins...

but the most important part of the coming season is what our AL rivals have to done to get better...how do we compare to the yankee moves? the marquee signings fielder, etc???  I doubt we are even as good as last year..and I know the other teams are considerably stronger...

now go wave those pom poms somewhere else...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The mindset of fans has changed so much over the years.  Now everybody gets so fixated on the offseason moves and the payroll and the power rankings of the teams and the predictions, it seems like a lot of people feel things have already been decided before the games even start.

This team will go into the season with a lot of talent, a lot of possibilities and a lot of question marks.  It should be entertaining at the very least.  But I do agree with the people who say we're up against some very strong teams for a playoff spot. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]Going into this season I see the Sox stronger than this time last year. The thing that concerns me is the Tigers are also stronger and now have leaped in front of the Rangers as the AL favorite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Crawford is an MVP Capable?

Perhaps we need to agree on what capable means?  Given he was one of the worst players in the league last year, does that mean that 90% of the players in the majors are "capable" of an MVP?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Sorry for not following your high school cheerleading squad request. A rational, long time Red Sox fan knows that after two straight third place finishes, last year's finish being the worst implosion in the history of baseball, the Yankees getting better with a solid improvement in their pitching staff, the Rays continuing to deliver a top shelf pitching staff and improvements in the field, the Angels getting way better with Pujols on board, the Tigers filling the VMart loss nicely with Fielder, the Rangers adding Yu Darvish, the Jays being sneaky right behind us, A new GM, and new Manager, question marks in team chemistry, question marks as to whether Ross/Sweeney will deliver in RF, Aviles/Punto will deliver at SS, huge health question marks around Youk and Buchholz, whether Beckett goes Kindergarten without Tek behind the plate and Bobby V in his face, whether Lester can finally become the Ace he should be, whether Crawford can have a huge rebound, whether Ells can deliver numbers close to 2011, whether AGon's shoulder is really okay, whether Bard can in fact start, whether capable 4 and 5 starters are available all year....I choose to sit silently, watch the team's performance closely and reserve the cheering if and only if they make the playoffs. Beyond that, again no foolish cheering from this seat in the stands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think.:
    [QUOTE]Sorry for not following your high school cheerleading squad request. A rational, long time Red Sox fan knows that after two straight third place finishes, last year's finish being the worst implosion in the history of baseball, the Yankees getting better with a solid improvement in their pitching staff, the Rays continuing to deliver a top shelf pitching staff and improvements in the field, the Angels getting way better with Pujols on board, the Tigers filling the VMart loss nicely with Fielder, the Rangers adding Yu Darvish, the Jays being sneaky right behind us, A new GM, and new Manager, question marks in team chemistry, question marks as to whether Ross/Sweeney will deliver in RF, Aviles/Punto will deliver at SS, huge health question marks around Youk and Buchholz, whether Beckett goes Kindergarten without Tek behind the plate and Bobby V in his face, whether Lester can finally become the Ace he should be, whether Crawford can have a huge rebound, whether Ells can deliver numbers close to 2011, whether AGon's shoulder is really okay, whether Bard can in fact start, whether capable 4 and 5 starters are available all year....I choose to sit silently, watch the team's performance closely and reserve the cheering if and only if they make the playoffs. Beyond that, again no foolish cheering from this seat in the stands.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

All good points.  The only thing to add is re:  Lester.  Aside from the fact that I believe he's a total head case, I used to think he had Ace stuff.  Used to.  In fact, in 2009 I thought he had the second best pure stuff I had seen in a Sox uniform and was my favorite Sox pitcher to watch since Pedro.  However, that was when he was throwing consitently at 96MPH.  Today, hHe hovers at 92-93 and maxes out at 94 these days.  He has lost that little extra zip on his fastball and I think that has and will continue to hurt him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Even if you think this year's team is comparable to last year's, don't you think that Bobby V himself is worth 2-3 wins?  Tito's field management was not the greatest.  If so, we are in the playoffs!!!!  Lots of this year's team has much to prove and I think I like a team playing with a chip on the shoulders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Even if you think this year's team is comparable to last year's, don't you think that Bobby V himself is worth 2-3 wins?  Tito's field management was not the greatest.  If so, we are in the playoffs!!!!  Lots of this year's team has much to prove and I think I like a team playing with a chip on the shoulders.
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]
    I hope you are right, but we have a long spring, summer and fall ahead of us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Never - while that's true the Rays are going to very good next year - much better than last year with the emergence of Morris......Tigers will be at least as good as last year......Same with the Rangers.....Angels are much better.....Competition is going to be amazing in 2012. 

Key issue is can Beckett, Lester and Buck step it up?

Other:  Can Youk stay healthy and what will the new bull pen look like?

Just too many question marks in a league that is going to be very tough this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]sorry but the sox arent better than they were last year even....scutaro & paps replacements wont be as good.....Papi had a great year last year...can it happen it again??? our pitching is so shaky it is scary given the injuries and fatheads that comprise it....oswalt would be a great boost but hey, at least we have cody ross!  crawford is hurt, and can we really expect Papi to repeat last years stats at his advanced age? i think we will do about as well as last year...90 wins... but the most important part of the coming season is what our AL rivals have to done to get better...how do we compare to the yankee moves? the marquee signings fielder, etc???  I doubt we are even as good as last year..and I know the other teams are considerably stronger... now go wave those pom poms somewhere else...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Fair points, Geo, about the loss of good players.  However, I don't think we can bank on the idea that the other teams are considerably stronger.  They may be considerably stronger on paper, like the 2011 Red Sox were, but sometimes the reality can be very different than the public perception of how a team may perform.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I too think that there is talent of a very high level. The question is health and depth. Health issues would include CC, Jenks, Youk, Bucholz, Bailey.
    Additionally, Sox seem to be depending on role players to play significant innings such as Ross, Avilles, Punto, Sweeney.
    How many innings can Bard give them?
    I still find the 9 positional players (including DH)to be the best 9 in baseball as a group. The pitching has question marks, mostly with health. I also feel that perhaps the most important pitcher on the team is the pitcher faced with the most high leverage situations. Last year, that was Bard, not Pap.
    I still prefer Aceves as the 4 pr 5 depending on the Oswalt issue...and I prefer Malancon/Jenks, Bard and Bailey in the 7th, 8th and 9th respectively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Well said... well said indeed...
    We have the best offense for coming season as well.  I just hope Youk manages himself to play mroe than 140 games this season.  He's gotta have some times at DH against lefties to give him some rest from playing at the hot corner. 

We now have lefty righty platoon at RF with offense and defense included.

Bucholz may be eager to put him out there and win 20 games as well as Lester.  I bet Lester will grow up and be the ace of this team everybody hoped for.  Beckett showed us he can be sub 3.00 era pitcher and he can be an ace too. 
    I personally think Bard will have fine season as a starter with his fastballs and sliders.  He has too good stuff to fail. 

Our BP got stronger adding young premier closer and setup guy who just had superb closer year. 

We will do fine.. Let's not worry let's root for our team guys...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY ......... "SON, HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL" !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We may see a near 200 point gain in RF OPS if the platoon of Ross and Sweeney just hit their career norms in splits.

It may be hard to imagine, but Youk could have a full healthy season and rasie the 3B OPS by 50-100 points.

Salty is at the age VTek was when he took off as a capable catcher offensively. Shioppach hits LHPs well, so if Bobby V dumps the personal caddy platoon for a straight L-R platoon, we could see an OPS gain at catcher as well.

It's hard to imagine our LF OPS being any worse than last year. It's quite possible we could see a 100+ point OPS gain there.

Yes, it is likely someone will decline or get hurt, but the above possibilities should more than overshadow them.

We lost Paps and replaced him with Bailey and Melancon. They may not be as good, but they will give us twice the innings Paps gave us in 2011. 

We also will have Morales for a full season.

Doubront and Tazawa should be healthy and helpful.

I'm hoping we get a legitimate, innings-eater 4th starter to allow Bard and Aceves to stay in the pen (at least one anyways and maybe the other for half a year).

Addition by subtraction: no more counting Miller, Weiland, Lackey, and others to keep us in games and go deep enough to save the pen.

New manager.

New resolve by a few players.

New 3B coach (2-3 more wins right there!)

There's a lot to be optimistic about amidst all the questions and doubts. It's not going to be easy. We have some serious weaknesses with questionable solutions, but no weakness we have now, has no hope of fixed by players we have right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]sorry but the sox arent better than they were last year even....scutaro & paps replacements wont be as good.....Papi had a great year last year...can it happen it again??? our pitching is so shaky it is scary given the injuries and fatheads that comprise it....oswalt would be a great boost but hey, at least we have cody ross!  crawford is hurt, and can we really expect Papi to repeat last years stats at his advanced age? i think we will do about as well as last year...90 wins... but the most important part of the coming season is what our AL rivals have to done to get better...how do we compare to the yankee moves? the marquee signings fielder, etc???  I doubt we are even as good as last year..and I know the other teams are considerably stronger... now go wave those pom poms somewhere else...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Your constant pescismism makes me sick...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Drone thread based on hindsight, no real purpose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

+1, very well said.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : Going into this season I see the Sox stronger than this time last year. The thing that concerns me is the Tigers are also stronger and now have leaped in front of the Rangers as the AL favorite.

The Tigers will win the Central.
    The Angels in a tight finish will win the West over the Rangers.
    The Yankees will win the East barely over the Rays.

The dogfight for the WC will be between the Rangers, Royals, Rays, Jays and Sox ---The Rangers win the WC. If they change to 2 WC's Rangers and Rays.
    I hate to say it but the Rays have the edge in pitching--I was tempted to give the Rays the edge over the Yanks for the East Crown.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

East - Rays
    Central - Tigers
    West - Rangers
    Wild Card - Angels

Yankees, 2nd place

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]East - Rays Central - Tigers West - Rangers Wild Card - Angels Yankees, 2nd place
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with the Rays but the rest I do.  I see the Y's winning the AL East and the Sox being the WC team.  IMO while the Rays have outstanding pitching they're going to have trouble scoring runs. 

The three "newbies" in this (if you count the Rangers as a "newbie") is that they've all started to spend money like they're the Yankees and Red Sox.

Many people saw for some time that those two teams had an advantage because of what they spend and didn't think it was good for baseball as a whole.  Those are the people who were crying for a salary cap (and floor) that would level the playing field.  It seems that those three teams have decided to level that field in another way - by trying to keep up with the spending of the AL East Two.

That advantage the AL East had in spending more money than anyone else is fast disappearing and the players must LOVE IT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox - Better than drones on this site think. : Your constant pescismism makes me sick...
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

LOL...sorry stod...we are going to be wicked awesome!!!!!!

feel better???

Sections
Shortcuts