Sox close to deal with Demspster---Rosenthal reports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Sox close to deal with Demspster---Rosenthal reports

Wow, I thought yesterday was a bad nightmare, but it appears it will become a reality soon. How far has this team sunk? This guy is if not the worst SP free agent that was out there. I cannot seem to see what the alore was to this guy. I really am confused and pissed off at this point. All this money and now all we have done is thrown it away on garbage. I like the Victornio deal but the rest, make no sense. If this team fails again this yr, does anyone think it would cost Ben his job?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Re: Sox close to deal with Demspster---Rosenthal reports

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Red Sox are close to an agreement with Ryan Dempster.

Dempster has turned down multiple two-year offers this winter in search of something a little longer and may have finally found it in his negotiations with Boston. The 35-year-old right-hander posted a solid 3.38 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 153/52 K/BB ratio across 173 innings this past season between Chicago and Texas. He would bring some reliability to an iffy Red Sox starting rotation.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

Wow, I thought yesterday was a bad nightmare, but it appears it will become a reality soon. How far has this team sunk? This guy is if not the worst SP free agent that was out there. I cannot seem to see what the alore was to this guy. I really am confused and pissed off at this point. All this money and now all we have done is thrown it away on garbage. I like the Victornio deal but the rest, make no sense. If this team fails again this yr, does anyone think it would cost Ben his job?

I don't like this move. Here will be another pitcher with an ERA over 5. I don't know what parameters this team works with. Ben needs to watch the movie moneyball and learn something from Billy Beane. It's not my money but this is a wate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

What Rosenthal didn't say is that 3.38 ERA is comprised of 2.25 from the National League and 5.09 from the American League....  So we should do well in Interleague with him... As far as where our majority of games are played, we are in trouble.

Not really understanding this one.  Sometimes the best moves are the non-moves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

GAAAAHHHHH!!! Can anyone say Lackey redux?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, hopefully it is only an one year deal to two years deal.  

I never wanted him in the first place.  Guess Ben C. is having a hard time trying to sign Sanchez or Lohse who both probably looking for 4 plus years deal.   Signing Dempster is going to buy some time for couple two talent pitchers in the farm system to be ready by 2014 season.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I have not even seen another club going after Dempster.  I am really hoping that another dumb GM outbids Cherington for Demspter.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

It was a set-up..... OTHER gm's faked like they were interested in THE DUMPSTER !! and Sox fell for it.Got to be something big coming up or this season might just end up in the DUMPSTER...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Dempster seems to be one of those pitchers who gets better with age, so as long as he stays healthy he is a good addition.

However he is really not a top of the rotation starter which the team needs.  yes he does fill a void in the rotatoin but unless Lester rebounds and Buccholz stays healthy this move doesn't make the team any better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

GAAAAHHHHH!!! Can anyone say Lackey redux?

My thoughts exactly, this whole offseason kinda feels like the begining of the first "Major League" movie...All we need now is the washed up overpaid SS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Moonslav.........you have that breakdown that highlights the Sox not investing in the pitching the last few years and trying to use the farm guys? How the ERA/WHIP has gradually gotten worse?

This move is more of same old.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Now I am hoping that Dempster can prove to us, that we are only couch potato GM's. The positve about this deal is that the Sox can hopefully sign him to a one year deal. I always had confidence in Farrells as a Sox pitching coach. Lets see what he can do as manager. The Dempster move is not official just another rumour. I think mostly everyone on this forum wants the Red Sox to win the WS series next season. I would like it also but this team is in a complete overhaul with a few exceptions.

I will give credit to Cherington he is keeping his word, he will not throw away the prospects. We are couch potato GM's who think we know it all. No matter who the real Red Sox GM signs , we will always complain. If we are so good at who, what, where, when, and why then how come we are not a real GM of a baseball team.

So far the signings are OK in my perception no life time contracts. Let the Dodgers and Jays prove once again that big names mean squat when putting together a team. Sometimes a team of no names, that other team refuse and the players with a chip on their shoulder can
    also win games. I feel more comfortable with low expectations then high expectations.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Red Sox are close to an agreement with Ryan Dempster.

Dempster has turned down multiple two-year offers this winter in search of something a little longer and may have finally found it in his negotiations with Boston. The 35-year-old right-hander posted a solid 3.38 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 153/52 K/BB ratio across 173 innings this past season between Chicago and Texas. He would bring some reliability to an iffy Red Sox starting rotation.

Yeah, he will be reliable as in "predictable". Lackey was predictable too the last year he pitched. This is a mistake. I would rather see Aceves or Morales out there than Dumpster for two years. He will solve NOTHING for this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

A 35 year old pitcher whose velocity dropped below 90 MPH, should be as good as hitting in batting practice at Fenway and a great matchup for the Anerican League East. Ben you truly are an idiot or if it is in fact you, it might be Larry Lucky Luchinno running this disaster for all I know. Man , its going to be a long year with this team, not even to mention when the team gets back to respectability not to mention competing in a World Series again. What a disastrous Winter, but I guess its a continuation of all the trhrowawys we picked up last year.

It would have been better if they spent their money wisely and went after a good hitter like Hamilton and a good pitcher like Sanchez. Quality Ben, not quantity.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Yeah, he will be reliable as in "predictable". Lackey was predictable too the last year he pitched. This is a mistake. I would rather see Aceves or Morales out there than Dumpster for two years. He will solve NOTHING for this team.

I am not a big fan of Dempster coming to The red sox nation. Yes i would like to see Morales or Acevez get the chance before Dempster.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Signing a 36 year old with a high 80's fastball and his better years well behind him make no sense with the other options that were out there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

UGGGGHHH!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Feels like the FO is doing something just to be able to say "See, we got a pitcher!"

I hope I'm wrong about Dempster...but I don't like this deal (it it happens) one bit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i know i said i wanted a guy who will give us 30 starts and 200+ innings...... but this is not who i had in mind. i really hope this was shotty reporting and speculation and not our number 5.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

A 35 year old pitcher whose velocity dropped below 90 MPH, should be as good as hitting in batting practice at Fenway and a great matchup for the Anerican League East. Ben you truly are an idiot or if it is in fact you, it might be Larry Lucky Luchinno running this disaster for all I know. Man , its going to be a long year with this team, not even to mention when the team gets back to respectability not to mention competing in a World Series again. What a disastrous Winter, but I guess its a continuation of all the trhrowawys we picked up last year.

It would have been better if they spent their money wisely and went after a good hitter like Hamilton and a good pitcher like Sanchez. Quality Ben, not quantity.

Yes but his control has vastly improved.  If you look at pitchers who are successful as they age and they lose velocity they usually offset it by improved control. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Lackey we can give a chance .......we already have him.....he averaged 3.00+ steadily with the Angels till we got him...so maybe the injury was a factor.

but to continue to go out and pick up these older pitchers...when our pitching staff has shown a continuous slide with those moves is crazy. The fans see it, but the FO doesn't?? (sarcasm)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:

"Lackey Redux"?? How much of the underperformance of Lackey is attributable to the fact that he was pitching with an injury and has been off the roster with the TJ surgery. I'm hoping that he comes back from the TJ surgery and does well like others have. He so far isn't a total failure like Carl Pavano was.

Setting the bar with Carl Pavano.  Should that be funny or scary?

Sections
Shortcuts