Sox close to deal with Demspster---Rosenthal reports

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Sox close to deal with Demspster---Rosenthal reports

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Not smart, this is problem I have with a signing like this. Say if you want to move him at the Trade deadline, as teams might need Pitching, your not going to get much in return. Age, Contract, everything, that wouldn't improve this team if your looking for future.

This is so true.....as a Sox fan, I would not have a problem with picking up a Dempster at a trade deadline, because you are probably filling a need, there would be limited options, and you would be making a short term investment and hopefully a low trade cost. But to sign him to a 3 year deal is just ridiculous.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben has lost his mind here...the good news is that NO WAY is this the pitcher we are settling on...expect Sanchez...which would be awesome.....thats the only way this signing makes sense or looks good

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben has lost his mind here...the good news is that NO WAY is this the pitcher we are settling on...expect Sanchez...which would be awesome.....thats the only way this signing makes sense or looks good

not sure i'm picking up what your putting down

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

got to be part of a trade for a top line pitcher...maybe sending clay/ells/salty/someone else for a stud....please dont tell me this is our solution to our 27th ranked starting pitching..

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

got to be part of a trade for a top line pitcher...maybe sending clay/ells/salty/someone else for a stud....please dont tell me this is our solution to our 27th ranked starting pitching..

ah. gotcha, yeah thats not a bad proposal. clay/lester plus salty plus prospects should be neough to land a great, young pitcher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Signing a 36 year old with a high 80's fastball and his better years well behind him make no sense with the other options that were out there.

The problem is that there was and is no one out there who we could pick up on the FA market that was a fit here. Greinke is not a fit, and all the other guys, including McCarthy, are not aces. We need an ace pitcher AND a #2. We have a glut of #3-5 SP and not much else. Thats why we stink and why we will continue to stink no matter how much offense we add. 10-8 losses are still losses. I don't see this as a one year project.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

deal is reported as two years at 26.5 ..........wow...speechless

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ken RosenthalKen RosenthalVerified@Ken_Rosenthal

Dempster and #RedSox are in agreement, pending physical.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

deal is reported as two years at 26.5 ..........wow...speechless

13 must Cherington lucky number. What's next HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Dempster is Canadian EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC can do much better but ... what do I know I am just a want to be GM playing fantasy baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's a two-year, $26.5 million contract, according to this tweet from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/279311775713869824

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Koolga's comment:

What Rosenthal didn't say is that 3.38 ERA is comprised of 2.25 from the National League and 5.09 from the American League....  So we should do well in Interleague with him... As far as where our majority of games are played, we are in trouble.

Not really understanding this one.  Sometimes the best moves are the non-moves.

To be a little fair to his AL ERA, when Dempster first came over he got hit very har, particularly by the Angels and Yankees (and he was having some hamstring issues).  After his first 3 starts last year, his ERA was 4.01 for the remaining nine.   A 4.01 ERA would put him in the top 20 in the AL and obviously first in Boston. 

I doubt he is around 4.00 or over 5 next year.  4.30 to 4.40 seems more likely...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

What Rosenthal didn't say is that 3.38 ERA is comprised of 2.25 from the National League and 5.09 from the American League....  So we should do well in Interleague with him... As far as where our majority of games are played, we are in trouble.

To be a little fair to his AL ERA, when Dempster first came over he got hit very har, particularly by the Angels and Yankees (and he was having some hamstring issues).  After his first 3 starts last year, his ERA was 4.01 for the remaining nine.   A 4.01 ERA would put him in the top 20 in the AL and obviously first in Boston. 

I doubt he is around 4.00 or over 5 next year.  4.30 to 4.40 seems more likely...

If he gives us 12 wins and an era below 4.5, Im ok with that from a 4-5 guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

call me crazy..but i like the deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

How many terrible signings can the sox execute in one off season? 

It's a horror show.

Now we have the $$$ for Napoli, Gomes, Dempster, and Victorino

13 million for dempster - 13 million for victorino.

That's 26 million for two stiffs.  hamilton got 25 million per.

Add in Gomes and Napoli - the amount of wasted money is staggering!

And they still plan on letting ellsbury walk. 

Franchise is a mess right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to darrylfries's comment:

Don't put much faith in Rosenthal he makes up most of his stories.   Cleveland offered Victorino a three year contract was one in a long list of lies.  What else would you expect from Fox News?  The backlash from the fan base on signing Demspster is overwhelming

I guess Fox & Rosenthal made this story up huh.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

If he gives us 12 wins and an era below 4.5, Im ok with that from a 4-5 guy.

i'm not expecting a ton of him. just 200 innings and the chance to win every 5 days. can he be worse than our #5s from the last few seasons? Miller, wake, cook, shredded elbow lackey (2011), dice-k? probably not. sure its a head scratcher but we all knew the signing of a dependable innings eater was coming due to the lack of available pitching. we'll see how it works out

Sections
Shortcuts