Sox close to landing Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sox close to landing Napoli

From WEEI.com:

NASHVILLE -- According to a major league source, the Red Sox are closing in on an agreement with free agent Mike Napoli. The agreement is believed to be for three years.

Though he struggled to a .227 average with a .343 OBP, .469 slugging mark and .812 OPS in 2012, Napoli represented one of the top free agent options for the Sox, both because of his history of consistent offensive production (.259/.356/.507/.863 career line) -- demonstrating both middle-of-the-order power and considerable plate discipline -- and because the Rangers did not make him a qualifying offer, thus meaning that the Sox will not lose a draft pick for signing him.

Napoli figures to be the Red Sox' primary first base option.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Sox close to landing Napoli

Follow Jon HeymanJon HeymanVerified@JonHeymanCBS

Napoli has deal with red sox, 3 yrs, $39M

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I don't feel too strongly for or against this, but he should put up some good numbers for us. $13 mil per season seems pretty high, but as we're often reminded, the Red Sox have money to spend, and they avoided the fourth year.

With that out of the way, now for some pitching, hopefully.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

A 3-year, $39 million deal sounds fair to me. 

I hope McCarthy and Marcum are the next players to sign with the Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

YES!!!!!!!!!  This is huge.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

13 millions dollars a year seem pretty high for all of us, but guess Boston as well most of us as fans all wanted him.

He could play 1B or maybe replace Papi at DH in the future if Papi continue to have achilles problems.

Yes the next move is the pitching and decide on who they want, Ross or Swisher.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Right out of the gates BC gets his man. So who's next?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

congrats on napoli

it's a start to what should be a very interesting / fun winter for RSN

heck it's a lot better than hearing arods out

while knowing that will most likely be

the only big story from yankeeland this winter ;-(

I think the Yanks are pushing hard for Drew to play 3B while ARod is out?  I also see the Yanks signing Figgins to minor league contract.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

oh yeah i love it and he,s playing mostley 1b that,s huge i love thats he here

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nice job Ben.  3 years/29 isn't peanuts, but you can't cry about the organization moving on the cheap and then cry about a 3 year deal (not too long) and 13 per (about [free agent] market value) for a guy of Napoli's calibre.  I expect a big big bounce back year.  Fills a nice void.  Was worried that they would have to go 4 years on him.  Glad Ben didn't listen to the idiots on this board and ppunce early for Mike's 4 year request.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The problem for this team was never offense; it has been PITCHING since 2008. Yeah, its good to have more hitting on the team now that Agon is history, but to become a contender we will need some very good SP and a lot of luck.Hard to get too excited about our chances until that happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He definitely will be a home run threat at Fenway.  I like this move , but more needs to be done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The problem for this team was never offense; it has been PITCHING since 2008. Yeah, its good to have more hitting on the team now that Agon is history, but to become a contender we will need some very good SP and a lot of luck.Hard to get too excited about our chances until that happens.

Well, ok.  Perspective is everything I guess.  Yes, pitching is the priority and, as you see, the chink in the armor dating back a few years.  But, please humor me as I get a little excited that the Sox just filled a gaping hole in the line-up and signed a versatile 1B/C in his prime for short years (picture me dancing a jig here).  OK, now I am back to business.  Time to sign a pitcher or two.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nice signing! This also makes dealing Saltalamacchia a real option now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

People should be pretty excited just for the fact that the Sox are already moving. They have a plan and its time to execute it. They'll get starting pitching help soon, and another Of'er...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Well, ok.  Perspective is everything I guess.  Yes, pitching is the priority and, as you see, the chink in the armor dating back a few years.  But, please humor me as I get a little excited that the Sox just filled a gaping hole in the line-up and signed a versatile 1B/C in his prime for short years (picture me dancing a jig here).  OK, now I am back to business.  Time to sign a pitcher or two.

Napoli's career OPS = .863; Adrian Gonzalez = .877.  Napoli did it w/ having to deal w/ the riggors of catching.  Moon had a list of top 1B regarding OPS.  Napoli ranked fifth, behind Pujols, Fielder, AGON, Votto and in front of Tex.  All other guys on the list make 20M+ yr .  ITs also nice that Naps can catch because we can slide him behind the dish in NL parks and put Papi at 1B.  Feway swing.  Just turned 31.  Good clubhouse guy.  Draws walks.  Monster righty power.  Great deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Good signing for a fair amount 3/39. I was surprised that RS didn't have to go to four years. That checks one box... Now for pitching and an outfielder.

Good move by Ben

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I like this signing.

A bit expensive, but the years are short.

If he's productive in Fenway, they can extend him for DH/1B duty, in the future.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I do like the signing because its going to improve the team. And its also for a relatively short number of years. I think Napoli will be productive here for all of his time, and I am not real worried about his defensive liabilities. Furthermore, it frees us up to trade one of our other catchers in a package for a good SP. When we get someone like Felix or CC or Cain then I  will begin to change my mind about our chances next year. We need a top 15 SP, an ACE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Hopefully Napoli can continue to tear it up at Fenway like he has in the past, only this time for the Sox. I've always liked Napoli, like this signing.

Surprised we haven't heard the Sox linked to Victorino. Sounds like he's looking for 8-10m a year, could be a better option than Swisher and Ross, plus he can play all outfield positions well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

congrats on napoli

it's a start to what should be a very interesting / fun winter for RSN

heck it's a lot better than hearing arods out

while knowing that will most likely be

the only big story from yankeeland this winter ;-(

Hey pinstripezac what's up?

Cheer up.  Sorry to hear that A-Rod is out for the first-half of the 2013 season because he will have hip surgery in Jan.  But the Yankees front office are smart people.  I'm sure they will work something out to make the team competitive for 2013.   :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Follow Jon HeymanJon HeymanVerified‏@JonHeymanCBS

Napoli has deal with red sox, 3 yrs, $39M

Because of history..... Give me a break ....2oo Ba ,bad catcher,bad firstbasemen, Rememeber Carl Crawford use to kill the sox.... What happened to that History? He hits good at FENWAY, Give me a break....39MIL worth of hits at Fenway....Sox are now in (PANIC MODE )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I do like the signing because its going to improve the team. And its also for a relatively short number of years. I think Napoli will be productive here for all of his time, and I am not real worried about his defensive liabilities. Furthermore, it frees us up to trade one of our other catchers in a package for a good SP. When we get someone like Felix or CC or Cain then I  will begin to change my mind about our chances next year. We need a top 15 SP, an ACE.

Right.  Of course, the fruit is still yet to bare, but conventional wisdom said this was the reason they signed David Ross even with 2 catchers already on the roster.  Lav or Salty had to be a trade piece.  Now, with Napoli in the fold, this makes all the more sense.  The dominoes beginning to fall ...

Sections
Shortcuts