Sox close to landing Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Sox close to landing Napoli

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right out of the gates BC gets his man. So who's next?

[/QUOTE]

My guess is either Hamilton or McCarthy.   :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right out of the gates BC gets his man. So who's next?

[/QUOTE]

My guess is either Hamilton or McCarthy.   :)

[/QUOTE]

Lets hope it is McCarthy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Off season to date - signed 3 DHs and a backup C for $80 million over 2 or 3 years.  One DH to play 1B, another LF.  Forgive the lack of excitement.  Now how about fixing some of the real leaks.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

Boomer time in fenway

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem for this team was never offense; it has been PITCHING since 2008. Yeah, its good to have more hitting on the team now that Agon is history, but to become a contender we will need some very good SP and a lot of luck.Hard to get too excited about our chances until that happens.

[/QUOTE]

Well, ok.  Perspective is everything I guess.  Yes, pitching is the priority and, as you see, the chink in the armor dating back a few years.  But, please humor me as I get a little excited that the Sox just filled a gaping hole in the line-up and signed a versatile 1B/C in his prime for short years (picture me dancing a jig here).  OK, now I am back to business.  Time to sign a pitcher or two.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli...230BA.. 30 hrs?   Salty better D ! 222 BA. 25 HRS  Where is his 39 Mil

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is too funny. Everyone seems OK givng a back-up catcher 13 million/yr, but the same people were decrying giving Ortiz that amount.

The hypocrisy is glaring!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is too funny. Everyone seems OK givng a back-up catcher 13 million/yr, but the same people were decrying giving Ortiz that amount.

[/QUOTE]

Only if by 'same people' you mean 'different people'.  Most of the people who are cool with the Napoli deal in this thread, like myself, were absolutely cool with the Ortiz deal.  You just want to b*^ch and moan.  You were crying about nothing being done and Cherrington on the cheap etc.  Now, he makes a solid move, probably an overpay vis-a-vis "value", and you now turn you b*&ching in another direction.  The hypocrisy is indeed glaring, and it is yours.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ben's next move? Trade Lavarnway or Ross.

The signing of David Ross now makes no sense whatsoever, unless he was the fallback plan if the Sox couldn't land Napoli.

Adam LaRoche made much more sense, and he can play 1st base. Napoli has played in 133 games at 1b and he is no better than Ortiz at the postion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Ben's next move? Trade Lavarnway or Ross.

The signing of David Ross now makes no sense whatsoever, unless he was the fallback plan if the Sox couldn't land Napoli.

Adam LaRoche made much more sense, and he can play 1st base. Napoli has played in 133 games at 1b and he is no better than Ortiz at the postion.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong again.  The Ross signing now makes sense, where it didn't before.  Signing Napoli nowdefinitely make either Salty or Lavarnway good trade chips to get the much-needed starting pitcher via trade.  I may be wrong, but it seems to me the dominoes are now lined up to fall.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I like Napoli, but like Gomes, he is another player with more career Ks than hits. If nothing else, the Sox will lead the league in that offensive category.

Maybe he will have another year like 2011. I just hope they trade the right catcher, namely, Salty.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Hey pinstripezac what's up?

Cheer up.  Sorry to hear that A-Rod is out for the first-half of the 2013 season because he will have hip surgery in Jan.  But the Yankees front office are smart people.  I'm sure they will work something out to make the team competitive for 2013.   :)

[/QUOTE]

thanks ice cream

I'm a arod fan but I think it's time to get crazy

not sure if this would even work but

take the hit,release arod now

pay him and all that lux tax off this yr

get that monkey off our back and start fresh under the cap next yr

[/QUOTE]

Hey pinstripezac.   :)

The Yankees still won 95 games and had the best record in the AL despite an injured and struggling A-Rod.

If I was Cashman, I would still keep A-Rod and use him mainly as DH.  And either resign Eric Chavez to play third or work out a trade for the Padres' third baseman, Headly. 

The people at the Yankees front office are very smart.  I'm confident they will overcome this and prepare a competitive team in 2013.   :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Congrats Sox fans....nice get...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you jete02fan.   :)

I wish Jeter and A-Rod a full and quick recovery.  The media can bash A-Rod all they want, but A-Rod helped the Yankees make the playoffs in 2007 and win the World Series in 2009. 

I want the Yankees and Red Sox to be dominant again.  F**k the Rays, O's, A's, Angels, Rangers, Blue Jays and Tigers.  LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He could play 1B or maybe replace Papi at DH in the future if Papi continue to have achilles problems.

[/QUOTE]

He is Papi @ first base, while missing some of his power & possibly fielding ability. He grades out as an average to below average first baseman. Seems like the FA fell in love with #'s (potential) versus facts. Laroche would have been a much better choice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only if by 'same people' you mean 'different people'.  Most of the people who are cool with the Napoli deal in this thread, like myself, were absolutely cool with the Ortiz deal.  You just want to b*^ch and moan.  You were crying about nothing being done and Cherrington on the cheap etc.  Now, he makes a solid move, probably an overpay vis-a-vis "value", and you now turn you b*&ching in another direction.  The hypocrisy is indeed glaring, and it is yours.

[/QUOTE]

Lets just hope it works out..because...........The people who are cool !!! to this just might be the ones bit...ching and moaning..... And thats most posters on here ,you know the cool with it guys....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The deal makes sense on several levels, but are Mike Napoli and the Red Sox medical staff a good match?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He could play 1B or maybe replace Papi at DH in the future if Papi continue to have achilles problems.

[/QUOTE]

He is Papi @ first base, while missing some of his power & possibly fielding ability. He grades out as an average to below average first baseman. Seems like the FA fell in love with #'s (potential) versus facts. Laroche would have been a much better choice.

[/QUOTE]

How do we do know how well LaRoche's swing would have fit with Fenway Park?  I'm sure they gave LaRoche serious consideration but decided Napoli was a better fit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Thanks jete.

As a stand alone move it's just ok. I see it as a beginning of trade movement when completed will shed more light on the team's direction. Lot of work left with plently of cap room to improve.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Even if you're going to judge Napoli just based on his 2012, there's one giant difference between him and Salty, despite similar batting averages, HR, and K totals last year: one gets on base, the other does not. Don't make the mistake of thinking the two are equivalents. If you haven't figured out what OBP is yet and why it's important, it's a good time to do so.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even if you're going to judge Napoli just based on his 2012, there's one giant difference between him and Salty, despite similar batting averages, HR, and K totals last year: one gets on base, the other does not. Don't make the mistake of thinking the two are equivalents. If you haven't figured out what OBP is yet and why it's important, it's a good time to do so.

[/QUOTE]

In an injury plagued down year, Naps still had an OPS of .810.  (Adds to your pt)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Big difference? If you strike out alot and batting ave around 200+ ? How big of a diffence is it really? You can't be getting on base enough to get a 39 mil contract.. No?The mistake is over paid or Salty is worth at least 30+ mil contract ..right?... So we will let you think that Napoli's OBP worth every penny.or one giant difference.