Sox close to landing Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Sox close to landing Napoli

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even if you're going to judge Napoli just based on his 2012, there's one giant difference between him and Salty, despite similar batting averages, HR, and K totals last year: one gets on base, the other does not. Don't make the mistake of thinking the two are equivalents. If you haven't figured out what OBP is yet and why it's important, it's a good time to do so.

[/QUOTE]

Big difference? If you strike out alot and batting ave around 200+ ? How big of a diffence is it really? You can't be getting on base enough to get a 39 mil contract.. No?The mistake is over paid or Salty is worth at least 30+ mil contract ..right?... So we will let you think that Napoli's OBP worth every penny.or one giant difference.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Napoli, like Salty should not be valued for OPB...they are power guys, judge them with the old RBI standard....if they move guys around the diamond, they are then valuable...i think both are good at that...

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE] Follow Jon HeymanJon HeymanVerified‏@JonHeymanCBS

Napoli has deal with red sox, 3 yrs, $39M

[/QUOTE]

Because of history..... Give me a break ....2oo Ba ,bad catcher,bad firstbasemen, Rememeber Carl Crawford use to kill the sox.... What happened to that History? He hits good at FENWAY, Give me a break....39MIL worth of hits at Fenway....Sox are now in (PANIC MODE )

[/QUOTE]

So just because Carl didnt work then automatically no one will? Get a grip....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem for this team was never offense; it has been PITCHING since 2008. Yeah, its good to have more hitting on the team now that Agon is history, but to become a contender we will need some very good SP and a lot of luck.Hard to get too excited about our chances until that happens.

[/QUOTE]

Well, ok.  Perspective is everything I guess.  Yes, pitching is the priority and, as you see, the chink in the armor dating back a few years.  But, please humor me as I get a little excited that the Sox just filled a gaping hole in the line-up and signed a versatile 1B/C in his prime for short years (picture me dancing a jig here).  OK, now I am back to business.  Time to sign a pitcher or two.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli...230BA.. 30 hrs?   Salty better D ! 222 BA. 25 HRS  Where is his 39 Mil

[/QUOTE]

Show me the stats that Salty is a better defender?  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes  (Value Grade C Fit Grade B overall Contract Grade C+)

D. Ross (Value Grade D+ Fit Grade B+ overall Contract Grade C+)

Napoli (Value Grade D+ Fit Grade B overall Contract Grade C)                                                                                       Agread C at best.                                                                                      Tell me how this will put us in contention?     You Can't

[/QUOTE]

Easy.  Just apply a different arbitrary grading formula.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm not fan of this move, but I'm relieved it is not a four year deal.

BABIP (LD%)   2010, '11,'12:     .279 (19.7)    .344 (19.6)     .273(19.2)

In other words, 2011 was a fluke.

Cons:

-terrible fielder 

-coming off a hamstring injury 

Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew's hamstring is acting up again. So what ...  blog.masslive.com › Red Sox Monster  â€º JD Drewski  8 Feb 2011  

- wear and tear on body of a 31yo ex-catcher.  

-let's say 2011 was a fluke  (see BABIP) the avg of 2010 and 2012 OPS is ~.800   The average 1B in MLB was about .785 over the last two years.  With defence factored in MN at .800 OPS is a slighty below average 1B.            

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From WEEI.com:

NASHVILLE -- According to a major league source, the Red Sox are closing in on an agreement with free agent Mike Napoli. The agreement is believed to be for three years.

Though he struggled to a .227 average with a .343 OBP, .469 slugging mark and .812 OPS in 2012, Napoli represented one of the top free agent options for the Sox, both because of his history of consistent offensive production (.259/.356/.507/.863 career line) -- demonstrating both middle-of-the-order power and considerable plate discipline -- and because the Rangers did not make him a qualifying offer, thus meaning that the Sox will not lose a draft pick for signing him.

Napoli figures to be the Red Sox' primary first base option.

[/QUOTE]

Good move, we needed another versatile player even if Nap isn't great defensively.  I think this siging may land Salty on the trading block, especially with Nap locked up for three years and Lav being a much cheaper option long term.  

Lets see if we make a move for a IB, or if Nap is it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I might have actually preffered 4-44, but not complaining. Great addition.

Some stuff. First, I am expecting Lavarnway to start in AAA. If Salt is traded, I expect Napoli to catch 80 games or so and NOT be the main first basemen. There is no point of three catchers with Napoli catching 30-40 games. Its either 3-5 games or about 80 games with just two catchers. We will need a lefty platoon mate at first if its just Ross and Napoli. It would not surprise me if the Sox trade for a young lefty first basemen and have a battle between that guy[Smoak-Morrison] and Lavarnway-Napoli at catcher to figure out who makes the roster and what role Napoli has.

Napoli has a career road OPS of .878. Very few players in baseball can say that. I will be surprised if he doesn't put up around a 900 OPS next year.

He isn't just a walk guy. He is a pitch take guy. They are not always the same thing. Napoli is top 3-4 in baseball at that skill set. The three guys we have signed so far in taking pitches last year....

Mike Napoli--4.41
    David Ross--4.26
    Jonny Gomes--4.03

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Softlaw, you are a great poster and very smart.  Don't take this the wrong way, but:

Big labor is out of control.  This isnt a one year trend.  The stupid GM who gives Hammy 25M+ yr , despite the question marks, will set the bar to ~30M yr for a first rate talent without any alcoholism/injury concerns.   After hamilton signs, a first rate contract will be ~28M/yr.

AGON, who I wouldnt even put in tier 1, got 22M+ coming off a down season, when the sox had a year of control (leverage)

Prince received a contract that pays him 20M+ until he's 100 and he's overweight

What's the AAV of pujols deal?  The Votto deal (which was signed when the team had leverage).

Napoli is a tier 2 hitter for a first baseman.  Tier 1: Pujols, Prince, Votto. ... Tier 2: Butler, Napoli, AGON ...Tier 3: Tex, Morneau, Konerko.  

If the first tier guys are getting 20M+ until theyre 100.  Even guys in the thierd tier are making 20M+.  The value isnt bad.

I see it as giving a third tier contract to a second tier player.  I consider it a much better option than pipe dreaming over guys who arent actually available (Billy Butler).

Also: at the end of this deal, Napoli will be younger than VMART is today. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

The best news is he hit .293 in Sep after being back from injury and  .183  AND. .167  in July and August  . For 13 mil we need at least 25+ and 100+ and a .270+. Anything less will be money wasted.

[/QUOTE]

In a world where platoon players make 5M/yr (on the wrong side of the platoon to boot), the numbers you have provided are worth far more than 13M/yr.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Napoli doesnt have that much wear and tear.  THe problem is that he had a hamstring injury last year.  Catching prohibits hamstring healing.  SO it lingered.  Despite that his OPS was still higher than AGONS.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

In a world where platoon players make 5M/yr (on the wrong side of the platoon to boot), the numbers you have provided are worth far more than 13M/yr                              Not for someone whose a poor fielder.    Ortiz only got 13 mill with better numbers.

[/QUOTE]

I was speaking of Gomes who is regarded as an atrocious fielder.  The Ortiz contract was a no brainer.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli was my #2 1st base option, @ Base 10 x 2. This is Base 13 x 3. The base isn't a value big overpay (33%),. but the 3rd year makes it a big value overpay. However, unlike Crawford, Napoli is a fit. In addition, his age is such that the 3rd year is not in the absurd category, though it's still a value overpay.

Napoli 31  13 M  (Profile 2nd rate 1st baseman but added value as backup catcher/flexibility)

Napoli 32 13M  (Profile 2nd rate 1st baseman but added value as backup catcher/flexibility)

Napoli 33 13M (Profile DH/platoon 1B/ emergency backup catcher)

Because Ortiz's contract goes off the books in Napoli year 3, the value overpay on this deal is mitigated to a certain extent. Napoli would then become part of a platoon approach to DH and provide bench backup at 1st and emergency catcher.

Make no mistake, Napoli is in decline due to age and mileage, but he is a fit for Fenway and the Red Sox roster construction 3 years out.

Bottom line, I would not have made a 39M guaranteed contract offer to Napoli. I would have moved off my value of 2 @ base 10 and made my final offer @ 2 @ base 13.75 with a team 3rd year option at 10M/buyout of 2.5M. I would included in the offer a provision that allows the player to become a FA after the first year by simply opting out at the completion of the 2013 Red Sox season. This allows the player to "cash in" on a big year in Fenway, and would be appropriate given the poor season the player has just completed in 2012 that lead to him becoming Texas dumspter trash that expired with no extension. The guarantee would be 30M, which is about a 33% value overpay for a 2nd rate support role 31 year old profile like Napoli.

At the end of the day, this is a deal that Cherry has a basis to defend on the fit scale, if not the value scale.

So far, the FA moves have been reasonable, even though these players could have been acquired on more team favorable terms (with the likely exception of Napoli).

Gomes  (Value Grade C Fit Grade B overall Contract Grade C+)

D. Ross (Value Grade D+ Fit Grade B+ overall Contract Grade C+)

Napoli (Value Grade D+ Fit Grade B overall Contract Grade C)

As long as Cherry avoids paying 1st rate contracts to 2nd and 3rd rate starting pitchers and OF'ers, he will have his first competent GM season.

What he has done so far is acquire players who are fits for the contract terms. That's a step in the right direction.

He needs to stay away from the flyin' Hawaii market bidding. He needs to close the trade for J. Upton, which includes getting rid of Ellsbury's 10M arbitration and using him and his draft compensation in the trade asset pool, and making one year 1.5M MLB contract offer to R. Johnson and minor league contract offers to Sizemore and Pods, put Kalish in that CF bench depth chart, and place hold CF and platoon CF and RF for 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Of course you wouldnt... Cheapskate. Get over it its a three Year deal. Not exacttly gonna cripple the sox by over paying a tad.