Sox Current Assessment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox Current Assessment

Mine will be brief in hopes of encouraging others to spout off. 

Right now, obviously, there is some danger of slipping back, primarily because of injuries to key hitters (Youk, Ortiz, and maybe AGon's neck).  Plus Crawford is slumping, the catching tandem has backed up, Scutaro is unavailable, etc.  Thus the 9 hits in 3 games at Fenway against the Rays. 

The pitching is not good enough to make up for weak hitting.  

But.  What the Sox do have is a good W-L record which gives them some slack with which to weather this storm of injuries.  So my view is they will be OK if they don't go on a losing streak or, just as bad, start losing 3 of 4 games.  I don't think that will happen because they still have some hitting, plus Ortiz should get back soon.  And the pitching is better than most of us, including me, think. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Sox Current Assessment

Another good sign.  Last night Crawford singled, stole second, stole third, and tried to score on a short fly to CF--and ran smack dab into the Royals catcher.  That to me was a big deal.  He wants to win and will do what he can to help. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ->The-Babe<-. Show ->The-Babe<-'s posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment:
    Another good sign.  Last night Crawford singled, stole second, stole third, and tried to score on a short fly to CF--and ran smack dab into the Royals catcher.  That to me was a big deal.  He wants to win and will do what he can to help. 

Posted by maxbialystock

Can you show me a major leaguer that wants to lose?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment : Can you show me a major leaguer that wants to lose?
    Posted by - />The-Babe<-

A fair point, except that obviously my intent was to say that Crawford right now will take risks to help win a game, including that collision at home plate.  It helps, of course, that he already has a $142M contract, but still. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Sox Current Assessment:
    Mine will be brief in hopes of encouraging others to spout off.  Right now, obviously, there is some danger of slipping back, primarily because of injuries to key hitters (Youk, Ortiz, and maybe AGon's neck).  Plus Crawford is slumping, the catching tandem has backed up, Scutaro is unavailable, etc.  Thus the 9 hits in 3 games at Fenway against the Rays.  The pitching is not good enough to make up for weak hitting.   But.  What the Sox do have is a good W-L record which gives them some slack with which to weather this storm of injuries.  So my view is they will be OK if they don't go on a losing streak or, just as bad, start losing 3 of 4 games.  I don't think that will happen because they still have some hitting, plus Ortiz should get back soon.  And the pitching is better than most of us, including me, think. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Max. I think you summed it up pretty well...in mind mind it really comes down to these next 7 road games....if they can win 4 of those...2 more in KC and a split in Texas despite the depleted lineup they will be in great shape.....20 of the last 33 at home.....hopefully Youk/Ortiz back.....tha Yanks have 6 games over that time, 3 in Minny and 3 at home vs OAK....even if they win 5 of 6, we go into those last games down 2 in the division and the Yanks have 19 of their last 32 on the road including a west coast swing to ANA and SEA. So basically they need to tread water, get healthy and take care of their home schedule.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment : A fair point, except that obviously my intent was to say that Crawford right now will take risks to help win a game, including that collision at home plate.  It helps, of course, that he already has a $142M contract, but still. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

a good sign because he was showing aggressiveness...something he killed us with when he was with the rays.....the more he plays like himself the better .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Posted by maxbialystock

Thats the Crawford we paid 142 million dollars for. When he does that he is one of the most dynamic players in baseball. I just hope we can see more of that kind of play and less of him striking out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment : a good sign because he was showing aggressiveness...something he killed us with when he was with the rays.....the more he plays like himself the better .
    Posted by tomnev

Thanks for both posts.  You put it better than I--aggressivesness. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment : Can you show me a major leaguer that wants to lose?
    Posted by - />The-Babe<-

When Jose Canseco was traded from Oakland, he said something along the line that, he was relieved to be traded, because all the A's wanted to do was win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ->The-Babe<-. Show ->The-Babe<-'s posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment : A fair point, except that obviously my intent was to say that Crawford right now will take risks to help win a game, including that collision at home plate.  It helps, of course, that he already has a $142M contract, but still. 

Posted by maxbialystock

Ummmm....that's his job.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Posted by maxbialystock

Well, maybe if he ever touched home plate he wouldn't have been called out ??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment : Ummmm....that's his job.
    Posted by - />The-Babe<-

Really?  Could you enlighten us as to just how many times your leftfielder has done that this year?  Since it's his job and he has more stolen bases, he must have done it several times at least. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I am concerned about the injuries that ravage the team every year (it seems) with numerous key players going on the DL.  Gonzalez playing and swinging a bat through a strained neck - maybe accounting for his lack of power, though his average is way up over previous years and his SLG comparesfavorably.

Please tell me again about the vaunted conditioning program of the Red Sox and how we get to this situation of bad backs, muscle strain, hamstrings and the DL every year

Maybe some of these nagging injuries can be traced to boarding and sleeping on planes at all hours of the day and night.  This month has been horrendous on the schedule.

The good news, as Peter Abraham has pointed out, Salty and Tek have combined to catch ALL 123 games so far and the Red Sox C position is 4th in OPS for the league.  Who could have foreseen that little piece of data back in April, when everyone was worried about Salty's arm and Tek's durabilty?

But I digress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Current Assessment :    When Jose Canseco was traded from Oakland, he said something along the line that, he was relieved to be traded, because all the A's wanted to do was win.
    Posted by attic-dan

I'm thinking

Sierra spent about a year with the Yankees and hit .259/.325/.410 before being dumped on the Tigers in the middle of 1996 for Cecil Fielder. At the time Sierra remarked, "all they care about is winning," apparently believing that to be an insult to the Yankees.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1975

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last year the injuries to Youk, Pedey, and Tek were "catastrophic," that is, the result of a single event.  This year's injuries are more due to wear and tear.  I doubt that it's because of a lack of conditioning, but what who knows? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Team is still capable, but must overcome construction cracks from massive budget architect Epstein. This is tipping point division portion of schedule challenge. If they come out of Texas no more than 2 back, I think they will win the division. How the Yankees do over this stretch will have as much a bearing on it as how the Red Sox do.

Sections
Shortcuts