Sox DFA Mortensen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox DFA Mortensen

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/red-sox-to-designate-clayton-mortensen.html

They needed to clear a spot to bring up 28yr old Jonathan Diaz to play 3b while Drew is out.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Sox DFA Mortensen

Should have put Drew on the DL and brought up Middlebrooks. Now we are short a pitcher so we can use a career minor leaguer at third for a few days. Hard to understand the thinking here. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

at this point farrell can probably pitch better than ClayMort...I think the team will survive for a game or two and jerking middlebrooks around is not the answer....

As always - 100% correct!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The pen is getting mighty thin. External help is going to be needed soon. First Bailey became a eunich out there and now Mortenson is gone. For effective pitchers we have Uehara, Taz, Breslow, and ? Miller at times. Did I miss someone? Those guys are going to be toast in a couple of months unless some effective help is found.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Meh he sucked anyway. Might as well bring up De La Rosa if needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Should have put Drew on the DL and brought up Middlebrooks. Now we are short a pitcher so we can use a career minor leaguer at third for a few days. Hard to understand the thinking here. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

They can't call up Middlebrooks because he hasn't played at Pawtucket for at least 10 days. Apparently unless someone is put on the DL once you exercise an option on a player there is a minimum amount of time he has to stay there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

WMB has to be down for 10 games before he can be recalled. That, and hes 3-13 and needs to stay there for the time being. Brock Holt has an oblique issue hes been dealing with. Bogey has no time at 3b and is batting .214 and still making the transition to AAA.

We have a bunch of guys that could give us what Mort did, or better. Im pretty sure management has a good idea of whats going on in their system. More than any of us. Diaz, although no power or a good BA, has had a solid OBP throughout his MiL career. Its only for a few days. Snyder can be send down and another arm brought up.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Middlebrooks can be recalled if you put Drew on the DL.  I have no problem DFAing Mortensen if you bring up a better pitcher. How many games will Drew miss?  I think it will be more than one or two. You can't send Snyder down yet. He is the only backup infielder.  Being short a pitcher and having Diaz at third weakens the team, if only for a few games.  There was a better way to do this. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middlebrooks can be recalled if you put Drew on the DL.  I have no problem DFAing Mortensen if you bring up a better pitcher. How many games will Drew miss?  I think it will be more than one or two. You can't send Snyder down yet. He is the only backup infielder.  Being short a pitcher and having Diaz at third weakens the team, if only for a few games.  There was a better way to do this. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I dont think they want to DL Drew if they dont have to. Middy isnt hitting all that well in AAA anyway. This gives them a couple days to evaluate Drews hammy without comprimising the current team. Drew had a 954OPS his last 10 games and was obviously really starting to heat up again and if they can get his bat back in the lineup sooner rather than later, they would be smart to do that.

There could be another corresponding move that would make this move make a little more sense.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

HE'S just designated! can still be sent down like valverde in detroit

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!

IF someone doesnt claim him

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

That doesn't make sense without knowing the severity of the injury.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Hamstring.  If he is out for a week, you are better of DLing him. I doubt that he will be back in a day or two. If he is , then I can see doing this. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Hamstring.  If he is out for a week, you are better of DLing him. I doubt that he will be back in a day or two. If he is , then I can see doing this. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing the advantage.  It's basically saying you want to start Diaz for an extra week, just to have a AAA BP arm as your #7.  The last two guys we brought up were Dela Torre and Beato.  They have virtually no impact whatsoever, especially compared to Drew for 7 days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always thought Mortensen showed promise. Oh well.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing the advantage.  It's basically saying you want to start Diaz for an extra week, just to have a AAA BP arm as your #7.  The last two guys we brought up were Dela Torre and Beato.  They have virtually no impact whatsoever, especially compared to Drew for 7 days.

[/QUOTE]

Joe ,  read my posts. That is not what I am saying. I would DL Drew and recall Middlebrooks. Nobody would have to be DFAed. We would have Iglesias at short, and Middlebrooks at third. And, still have 12 pitchers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe ,  read my posts. That is not what I am saying. I would DL Drew and recall Middlebrooks. Nobody would have to be DFAed. We would have Iglesias at short, and Middlebrooks at third. And, still have 12 pitchers. 

[/QUOTE]

Okay, that makes more sense.  I still wouldn't do it, but I can see the logic.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts