Sox Dilly Dally, Cubs strike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

Sox Dilly Dally, Cubs strike

I think that Theo is out to hurt the Sox in any way he can...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Sox Dilly Dally, Cubs strike

Probably not, but he likely wants to get things going there and make his mark.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Sox Dilly Dally, Cubs strike:
    [QUOTE]I think that Theo is out to hurt the Sox in any way he can...
    Posted by norm9340[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just Dilly,Dally around that stupid answer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DisplacedSoxFan. Show DisplacedSoxFan's posts

I'd like to trade Cherington for Jed Hoyer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Who says Ben hasn't set Theo up to think Sveum is the guy we wanted when he may have been the second or third guy we wanted--now we interview Pena and Martinez who are the two candidates Ben and management liked from the beginning. 

A little taste of Theo's own medicine. Now we have the entire universe available to us with no timetable. This will drive the scribes crazy. 

Ben can head to the DR to see the Cuban outfielder--maybe arrange a meeting with Pena and Martinez off site--they both have been to Boston enough.
    Great job Ben and all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Agree MadMac. Maybe Ben's smarter than we want to give credit, give Dale 2nd interview 1st make everyone including Cubs believe he's your 1st choice. Let Cubs react then take themselves out of hunt. Could there be a reason he interviewed for Brewers Mgr. job on 2 different occasions after working for organization and not getting job? and we already know he's a terrible 3rd base coach.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

I don't know if the Sox will be dramatically harmed if they do not hire "Send 'em In Sveum."  During his tenure as Sox third base coach he seemed to be recasting for the Charge of the Light Brigade with the number of guys he got thrown out at home.  To the extent it was any of my business, I always wondered what he was thinking

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Notice that IF the Cubs did strike, Sveum has not yet accepted, waiting to hear back on the Sox. The beer and burp jokes were fun for a day, but now that the big boys are out playing, it is clear that the Sox are a tweak away from a WS and the Cubbies are a last place team this year, with no shot until 2014-2015

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Dilly Dally, Cubs strike:
    [QUOTE]Notice that IF the Cubs did strike, Sveum has not yet accepted, waiting to hear back on the Sox. The beer and burp jokes were fun for a day, but now that the big boys are out playing, it is clear that the Sox are a tweak away from a WS and the Cubbies are a last place team this year, with no shot until 2014-2015
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Sox want Sveum anyway.  He wasn't very popular in Boston lacks managerial experience, thats not the new direction this team needs.  I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Hargrove as our new manager or batting instructor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sox Dilly Dally, Cubs strike:
    [QUOTE]I think that Theo is out to hurt the Sox in any way he can...
    Posted by norm9340[/QUOTE]

Lets see how easy Theo/Hoyer finds it when trying to convince a top FA to sign in Chicago because he has a five year plan to build a championship team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]Who says Ben hasn't set Theo up to think Sveum is the guy we wanted when he may have been the second or third guy we wanted--now we interview Pena and Martinez who are the two candidates Ben and management liked from the beginning.  A little taste of Theo's own medicine. Now we have the entire universe available to us with no timetable. This will drive the scribes crazy.  Ben can head to the DR to see the Cuban outfielder--maybe arrange a meeting with Pena and Martinez off site--they both have been to Boston enough. Great job Ben and all.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Neither Pena or Martinez are "yes men".     John Henry doesn't want a manager that uses a gut feeling when needed.     He wants a manager that listens to Carmine to make decisions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

I was actually thinking the reverse...  That the Cubs made the offer to Dale to get the Red Sox to make an offer and hire him (he would go to the Sox before the Cubs).  Then they could get who they want.

I hope the Sox don't jump on the Hire Sveum band wagon.

I'll pass this time around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]I was actually thinking the reverse...  That the Cubs made the offer to Dale to get the Red Sox to make an offer and hire him (he would go to the Sox before the Cubs).  Then they could get who they want. I hope the Sox don't jump on the Hire Sveum band wagon. I'll pass this time around.
    Posted by Koolga[/QUOTE] 

That had momentarily crossed my mind, but think about it, thats a risky proposition for the Cubs if Sveum really isnt their top choice. The Sox could easily just move on and let him go to the Cubs since they have made the first formal offer, then Theo's stuck with a manager that wasnt his top choice as his first hire. I seeriously doubt he would wanna risk that, especially starting off with a new team. It seems pretty simple and obvious IMO, both GM's value similar qualities and Sveum was probably already thought of highly by the sox FO before Theo left. 

Regardless, I'm not heartbroken if he lands in Chicago, I personally wasnt too high on him like many fans anyway. Maybe this opens the door now for different options, I like Tony Pena, I also like Alomar if you pair him with a strong experienced bench coach. But I think it's gonna be Torey Lovullo when the smoke clears. On the surface it kinda seems like maybe Ben (and Theo) are higher on Sveum than ownership and Lucchino are, I wonder if Ben kinda got his balls cut off already with his first big decision.

On a side note, am I the only one that finds the timing of Mike Maddux pulling himself outta consideration for the Cubs job just a tad curious? He announces the same day that Sveum is made an offer that he's pulling out for family reasons. Seems like possibly he was made aware the Cubs were going in a different direction, so it gets spun like he's not interested for family reasons to save face (since thats also what he told the sox).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

If Sveum agrees to go to the Cubs then it is God's will. Wink

Actually I'm OK with it as I wasn't that excited about him being the next Sox manager anyways. I still wish they'd interview Tony Pena...but he must not be the Yes-man type.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Is Mike Hargrove managing anywheres? Cause he is the right guy for the Sox job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]If Sveum agrees to go to the Cubs then it is God's will. Actually I'm OK with it as I wasn't that excited about him being the next Sox manager anyways. I still wish they'd interview Tony Pena...but he must not be the Yes-man type.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Every manager in the game has to establish a good rapore with the GM. I would have to think that whomever the Sox hire, not unlike any team the manager has to buy in and be part of the management team, one that can and will execute the daily on field and roster decision in accordance with the stated objectives. One that also has the ability to communicate with the media and present himself as a professional. If that guy is Tony Pena, then they'll offer him the job. They're not competing with the Cub's, they'retrying to make the best decision for the Boston Red Sox Baseball Club.

I find it funny, that many among us are firing shots accross Cherington bow with little insight to exactly whom they're identified as the top candidate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If Sveum agrees to go to the Cubs then it is God's will. Actually I'm OK with it as I wasn't that excited about him being the next Sox manager anyways. I still wish they'd interview Tony Pena...but he must not be the Yes-man type.

hehe.  Nice.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Having been a Red Sox follower for years I'll reserve my excitement for when they return to the World Series. If a team's success is "gauged" by me (or anyone) being "excited" about possible outcomes then we've all bought into the B.S. that sport marketers have perpetrated on us for years.

I'm excited that my puppy is house broken! I'm pretty simple though...lol...and hope the Sox get the right man. Good luck with that given the fact that one of the biggest pr!cks in baseball management owns the team and Larry Lucchino is a PR nightmare.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you guys are nuts thinking this is some sort of a chess game....the Cubs wanted him more than the Red Sox...end of story....this guy is no one to cry over losing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Maybe, just maybe...Dale Sveum wanted the Cubs more than he wanted the Red Sox? Certainly could be more upside potential there...