Sox eyeing Michael Young?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox eyeing Michael Young?

Some "sources" are saying that the Sox will be very interested in Young if the Phills make him available.Although this article is mostly about NYY, its where I got the rumor.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yanks_sox_eyeing_phils_young_PwbTVJalbAOKTwEKqGqRLM

Although Young hasnt showed much power this year, he has had his usual near 300BA and respectable mid 300 OBP. Maybe playing for a contender would ignite something and boost his numbers a bit, not to say they are bad right now.

He has a full NTC and could veto any deal, but if he accepted, what do you think it would cost for a 2 month 3b veteran rental who would probably have interest from multiple teams? He is only owed 3M for the remainder of the season with texas already picking up 10M of his deal.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Sox eyeing Michael Young?

He could be a very valuable pick-up if the price isn't too high(Mort or someone at AA that's blocked). He can play all infield positions and is a clutch, heady player. He would be great to have down the stretch. Don't wait too long someone will get him at a bargain price.

He would not be a part that is a necessity but if he goes to the O's as a 2 B or to Toronto as a 2 B or to the Yankees as a DH, 3B, SS or 1 B--he will come back to bite the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

He could be a very valuable pick-up if the price isn't too high(Mort or someone at AA that's blocked). He can play all infield positions and is a clutch, heady player. He would be great to have down the stretch. Don't wait too long someone will get him at a bargain price.

He would not be a part that is a necessity but if he goes to the O's as a 2 B or to Toronto as a 2 B or to the Yankees as a DH, 3B, SS or 1 B--he will come back to bite the Sox.

And who do you think the Phillies want in return?  And which of the Sox promising young minor leaguers would you be willing to give up? 

C'mon man, stick your neck out and give us something to chew on! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He is a nice fifth infielder for the Sox. He could play second a third, which works nicely with two SS the price tag is scary. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Like to have him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Hope not. No power, very poor defense, and complains if not starting every day. Refused to DH in Texas, and is paid way too much.

Overall a waste of resources and a poor example for our young players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

-___-

Might as well call up Bggy, or Middlebrooks seriously.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Sounds like a big "we aint counting on Miiddy"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Better fit for the Orioles, once they realize Brian Roberts is hopeless, seriously, I don't know why they keep burning a torch for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

[QUOTE]

And who do you think the Phillies want in return?  And which of the Sox promising young minor leaguers would you be willing to give up? 

C'mon man, stick your neck out and give us something to chew on! :)

[/QUOTE]

"Dusty" I usually do stick my neck out but I'm not as familiar with the lower minors in the Sox system---I would suggest "2004 Idiots" might have a better suggestion as he specializes in the Minor League System. Keep in mind two guys that always kill the Sox, Batman and Encar. both got to Toronto via a secondary market so people do come back to bite you. Someone you thought may not be super talented blossoms. 

If you insist--I would suggest someone tha's truly blocked: perhaps Hazelbaker, Diaz, Almanzar, Butler or if the Phils were willing to sweeten the deal with a decent prospect, Middlebrooks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Some "sources" are saying that the Sox will be very interested in Young if the Phills make him available.Although this article is mostly about NYY, its where I got the rumor.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yanks_sox_eyeing_phils_young_PwbTVJalbAOKTwEKqGqRLM

Although Young hasnt showed much power this year, he has had his usual near 300BA and respectable mid 300 OBP. Maybe playing for a contender would ignite something and boost his numbers a bit, not to say they are bad right now.

He has a full NTC and could veto any deal, but if he accepted, what do you think it would cost for a 2 month 3b veteran rental who would probably have interest from multiple teams? He is only owed 3M for the remainder of the season with texas already picking up 10M of his deal.

I would welcome a solid vet like Young anytime southpaw.  The guy can play all the positions we need him to and still get OB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

That would be a great pickup...Leave Iggy at SS....They can tell Drew his leg will be better for his new team next year... M Young would really help.....Anyone listening !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Young is a good ballplayer. It all depends on how much it would take to get him.

Stabbed by Foulke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Hope not. No power, very poor defense, and complains if not starting every day. Refused to DH in Texas, and is paid way too much.

Overall a waste of resources and a poor example for our young players.

This

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im not really for this deal, but Texas is already paying 10M on his contract so he would cost approx. 3M.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I think that Young would play most every day at 3rd base if he came to the Sox and give them a good OBP guy at third.  He would only help an already deep lineup even without much power.

His defense has never been above average, but he would be as good as Middlebrooks has been this year athough not as good as Iglesias has been at third.

Not sure what I would give up for him as he is a rental type guy guessing that Middlebrooks will resurface as the starter next season, but possibly the Phils will not get that much for him from other teams either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I think that Young would play most every day at 3rd base if he came to the Sox and give them a good OBP guy at third.  He would only help an already deep lineup even without much power.

His defense has never been above average, but he would be as good as Middlebrooks has been this year athough not as good as Iglesias has been at third.

Not sure what I would give up for him as he is a rental type guy guessing that Middlebrooks will resurface as the starter next season, but possibly the Phils will not get that much for him from other teams either.

Will middlebrooks is twice the fielder Young was is or ever will be.  With that said I agree that I don't want to give much for young.  He would add more on offense but this is assuming Iggy can't hold it down, Bogaerts won't contribute at the end of the year and Middlebrooks won't be able to come back at the end of the year.

Id be willing to bet on at least one of those if not two.  If I'm going to give up pieces for a playoff run....give me some pitching.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Eyeing is not buying. His no trade to clause with Texas when he was under contract there included the RS among others. I can't imagine the RS bringing in a guy that doesn't want to be here in the first place and taking a chance on blowing up the good team chemistry that they enjoy now for a guy on the downside with a questionable attitude.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to eggplants' comment:

Eyeing is not buying. His no trade to clause with Texas when he was under contract there included the RS among others. I can't imagine the RS bringing in a guy that doesn't want to be here in the first place and taking a chance on blowing up the good team chemistry that they enjoy now for a guy on the downside with a questionable attitude.

Often teams are on the no trade clause because they are good competitive teams so the player is more likely to be traded there.  This gives the player leverage sometimes to work out an extension etc etc.  Now I'm sure teams are on there where a player legitimately doesnt want to play but the Red Sox and Yankees are on just about every players no trade clause FWIW.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Hugh, it's not the clause it's the player. He doesn't belong here. Wrong guy now. See jimedfred's post earlier on this page. He's right on the money.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I still think that Middlebrooks will be the answer the lst two months. He was 2-for-4 with two home runs and a walk tonight. I'm not concerned about the homers. I want to see him hit consitently, cut down on the strikeouts and walk more. So I'd tough it out with Iggy-Drew-Snyder-whoever over the next couple of weeks and see how Middlebrooks is doing. 

If the Sox do pick up a third baseman, Young isn't hte answer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What scares me most about Young is not his fielding, although that is pretty bad, it is the fact that he may play instead of Iggy not Drew.

What also bothers me is what would be the cost for "upgrading" from Drew to Young.

What's the better overall defensive left side of the infield?

SS Iggy / 3B Young

OR

SS Drew / 3B Iggy

Is Young really that much better than Drew on offense?

If yes (and I think he is better), if the upgrade worth the cost in prospects?

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

If Drew is going to be playing the slow healing game made so infamous by his brother, make the trade and get rid of  the guy.  If Drew is ready to play in a couple of days then don't make the deal.  Drew better heal fast; we don't need him out for two or three weeks again.  This Drew sh@t is getting very old.  As for third base, just remember that FarrellancoMa had a brain cramp on Saturday and played the useless Jonathan Diaz there, a guy who can hit, never has hit, and also made a critical error that led to two runs in the ninth.  Now Brandon Snyder should get a few more looks.  He looked fine today and collected two hits and two RBI's.  We might not have to make the trade for Young if Snyder does his job and maybe Will gets his stroke back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Will middlebrooks is twice the fielder Young was is or ever will be.  With that said I agree that I don't want to give much for young.  He would add more on offense but this is assuming Iggy can't hold it down, Bogaerts won't contribute at the end of the year and Middlebrooks won't be able to come back at the end of the year.

Id be willing to bet on at least one of those if not two.  If I'm going to give up pieces for a playoff run....give me some pitching.

Michael Young is not a good defender, but he has won a Gold Glove, an accomplishment that Will Middlebrooks is unlikely to attain.

Young has a career UZR/150 of a negative 10.8 in 3,700.1 career innings at third base while Middlebrooks had a UZR/150 of a negative 2.8 in 1,068 career innings at third base, including a UZR/150 of a negative 10.0 in 461.1 innings this season.

Sections
Shortcuts