Sox Get Carp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Sox Get Carp

For PTBNL or Cash Considerations. Breaking News on MLB Network

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox Get Carp

Yup, just got an alert about it...So we give up basically nothing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Good move, thouhh the likely fallout is a reduced chance for Overbay to make the team.

The way I see it, Carp, Overbay, Nava and Sweeney now battle for 2 roster spots...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

I would have rather seen them get Lars Anderson (for nothing) or make a real trade for Smoak.  Hopefully Carp can get it done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Carp has weird splits.  It looks like he hits LHP better, but he's got better numbers and more power against RHP starters 

Still the sample sizes are so small that I'd say he actually is probably a decent hitter against both.  Hitting in Fenway should help him.  He can play 1B and LF.  So he should get a decent amount of playing time between filling in for Napoli and Gomes.

I like it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess it depends on the PTBNL, but it looks like a good deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm a big fan of Mike Carp, who I hope performs well for the Red Sox (although I will cringe if Carp becomes the next Shin-Soo Choo, Mike Morse, David Ortiz or Asdrubal Cabrera, whom my Mariners traded away for nearly nothing).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

send aceves and free up the team from its major headcase

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

send aceves and free up the team from its major headcase

The Mariners want Alfredo Aceves even less than the Red Sox do.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Dan Butler might be moved for the PTBNL.  He could be the backup catcher for Zunino.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Dan Butler might be moved for the PTBNL.  He could be the backup catcher for Zunino.

Seattle has plenty of organizational depth at catcher:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hicks-005joh

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=marlet000tyl

... behind catchers Jesus Montero, Kelly Shoppach, Ronny Paulino and Mike Zunino in the major league camp at Spring Training.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Has the bar been lowered so much that we are celebrating the acquisition of a .213 hitting Mariner reject ? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Red Sox add 1B/OF Carp from Mariners   FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox added another left-handed hitting first baseman/outfielder to the mix of players already auditioning for backup roles, acquiring Mike Carp from the Seattle Mariners for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

At first blush, Carp doesn’t appear to be an upgrade over the players already competing for the spot -- Daniel Nava, Mitch Maier, Mark Hamilton and Lyle Overbay, the latter three nonroster players with a big-league invitation.

When Carp hits ‘em, they tend to travel long distances. Of the 12 home runs he hit for the Mariners in 2011, all went at least 385 feet and 9 cleared 400 feet, according to Baseball Prospectus.

But Carp, who missed 79 games last season because of shoulder and groin injuries -- he hurt his throwing shoulder diving for a ball in spring training -- was designated for assignment by the Mariners, a team starved for offense. The injuries limited Carp to just 26 games for Seattle, in which he batted .213 with 5 home runs and 189 plate appearances, and 35 games in Triple-A Tacoma, where he batted .223 with 2 home runs in 139 plate appearances.

He is not regarded as a glove-man at first, which may be problematic for a team already relying on a player ( Mike Napoli) with very limited experience at first, though he is regarded as an adequate outfielder.

Still, Carp is only 26, and in 2011 the Mariners used him for a time as their cleanup hitter.

Carp’s agent, Tom O’Connell, who also represents Sox pitcher Alfredo Aceves, was in Sox camp Monday, pitching Carp to Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Has the bar been lowered so much that we are celebrating the acquisition of a .213 hitting Mariner reject ? 

I'll trust the opinions of the people here who know a little more about Carp than his batting avg.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I'll trust the opinions of the people here who know a little more about Carp than his batting avg.

apparently

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

apparently

He's a candidate for backup 1B and OF and we're giving up nothing...what do you expect.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That was his AVG last year in appx 150 at-bats.  Talk about misleading facts.  his career avg is higher.  He has power against righties (so he will platoon well with Napoli and Gomes) and He has spent the last couple seasons hitting in one of the worst hitters ballparks, and he's only in his mid 20's

Lets relax a bit, he's a BENCH player

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I'm a big fan of Mike Carp, who I hope performs well for the Red Sox (although I will cringe if Carp becomes the next Shin-Soo Choo, Mike Morse, David Ortiz or Asdrubal Cabrera, whom my Mariners traded away for nearly nothing).

You left out Omar Vizquel...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Lol, here come the posters who think the most recent year's batting average is the only thing that matters in assessing a player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

This one is a real dumpster dive IMO. He probably doesn't even make the team, although he might provide decent depth at Pawtucket until Travis Shaw is ready for promotion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

That was his AVG last year in appx 150 at-bats.  Talk about misleading facts.  his career avg is higher.  He has power against righties (so he will platoon well with Napoli and Gomes) and He has spent the last couple seasons hitting in one of the worst hitters ballparks, and he's only in his mid 20's

Exactly. Acquiring Carp is much ado about nothing. This does absolutely nothing to make this team better other than getting one more warm body to fill in if someone gets injured. We are still a .500 team at best this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Exactly. Acquiring Carp is much ado about nothing. This does absolutely nothing to make this team better other than getting one more warm body to fill in if someone gets injured. We are still a .500 team at best this year.

I'd say it does make the team better, though it's not likely to be an earth-shattering difference. We needed a LH first baseman/outfielder, and Carp fits the bill. I feel better with him in that role than Nava or Overbay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I'd say it does make the team better, though it's not likely to be an earth-shattering difference. We needed a LH first baseman/outfielder, and Carp fits the bill. I feel better with him in that role than Nava or Overbay.

If Pumpsie doesn't remind everyone that this is a .500 team, at least once a day, he feels unfullfilled.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Mike Carp lifetime stats: .255/.740. Playing in Seattle probably affects his OPS somewhat. Maybe he does improve the team a little, but our real need (and everyone here knows this) is top of the rotation SP. And for the benefit of 4B's, we are still a .500 team, both before and after this acquisition.

Sections
Shortcuts