2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Sox Get Carp

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Has the bar been lowered so much that we are celebrating the acquisition of a .213 hitting Mariner reject ? 

That was his AVG last year in appx 150 at-bats.  Talk about misleading facts.  his career avg is higher.  He has power against righties (so he will platoon well with Napoli and Gomes) and He has spent the last couple seasons hitting in one of the worst hitters ballparks, and he's only in his mid 20's

Lets relax a bit, he's a BENCH player

Exactly. Acquiring Carp is much ado about nothing. This does absolutely nothing to make this team better other than getting one more warm body to fill in if someone gets injured. We are still a .500 team at best this year.

I'd say it does make the team better, though it's not likely to be an earth-shattering difference. We needed a LH first baseman/outfielder, and Carp fits the bill. I feel better with him in that role than Nava or Overbay.

Mike Carp lifetime stats: .255/.740. Playing in Seattle probably affects his OPS somewhat. Maybe he does improve the team a little, but our real need (and everyone here knows this) is top of the rotation SP. And for the benefit of 4B's, we are still a .500 team, both before and after this acquisition.

Did you have a TOTR starter in mind? There don't seem to be any available. Reiterating a need that we likely won't be able to fill from outside the organization in every post is kind of beating a dead horse don't you think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

While certainly not top-heavy on star talent as many fans are used to, the Sox have quietly put together a roster with excellent depth.  Certainly, Carp is no great boon.  but to have Carp, Overbay, Nava, Sweeney battling it out for a couple backup utility positions is great.  If he should make the roster, he will be a plus.  Even if he doesn't get much burn, having a lefty with that much pop in the mix as a pinch hitter is a very nice weapon.

I am not necessarily convinced that Lester/Buchholz/Lackey are going to step it up and be the hosses that the FO gambled this year on (but I am rooting for them).  And I am not necessarily convinced that Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli are going to be at the peak of their games.

However, with the depth, the bullpen, the positional flexibility, and the character of this club, I am really liking the way way things are shaping up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

While certainly not top-heavy on star talent as many fans are used to, the Sox have quietly put together a roster with excellent depth.  Certainly, Carp is no great boon.  but to have Carp, Overbay, Nava, Sweeney battling it out for a couple backup utility positions is great.  If he should make the roster, he will be a plus.  Even if he doesn't get much burn, having a lefty with that much pop in the mix as a pinch hitter is a very nice weapon.

I am not necessarily convinced that Lester/Buchholz/Lackey are going to step it up and be the hosses that the FO gambled this year on (but I am rooting for them).  And I am not necessarily convinced that Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli are going to be at the peak of their games.

However, with the depth, the bullpen, the positional flexibility, and the character of this club, I am really liking the way way things are shaping up.

The thing I worry about most spaceman is the fact we still haven't done anything to address our long term needs.  At best we have exactly what you stated but that doesn't necessarily win ball games as we both know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In talking with BEN this morning, he indicated to me that he wants to continue to bring "chips" together for the eventual "BLOCKBUSTER" coming by March 1st......  DAD & BILL-806 concur with this stratergy !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

The thing I worry about most spaceman is the fact we still haven't done anything to address our long term needs.  At best we have exactly what you stated but that doesn't necessarily win ball games as we both know.

I do not disagree Craze.  However, follow me here, the way in which the long-term needs were not addressed was actually the best way to address the long-term needs in this particular off-season.  For my money, I did not feel comfortable paying top dollar and long-years on any of the top free agents that could have filled long-term needs, and I don't think there were really viable trades out there either.  So, the way the Sox approached things, they now have a ton of flexibility:  the kids will have no blocks when they are ready to come up and fill long term needs the best way (through the farm), the short money contracts of the FAs the Sox did sign are imminently moveable should a trade for proven vet talent arise to fill long-term needs, and in coming 2-3 years, as better FA markets present themselves, the Sox will have plenty of money coming off the books.

In the meantime, yes, we do not know whether good-character teams win ball games per se.  But depth and bullpens certainly do.  So, we will just have to put our hope in our much-maligned but potentailly-solid rotation and see what happens.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

For those who see the glass as half full: Carp hit .276/.791 as a rookie in 2011 and actually combined for 33 hr and 110 rbi between Triple-A and the majors. Last season he was hurt and on and off the DL. Hopefully he's healthy now because the guy seems to have real pop, and I think he and Gomes could be a surprisingly productive platoon in LF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

I'm a big fan of Mike Carp, who I hope performs well for the Red Sox (although I will cringe if Carp becomes the next Shin-Soo Choo, Mike Morse, David Ortiz or Asdrubal Cabrera, whom my Mariners traded away for nearly nothing).

You left out Omar Vizquel...

Thank you for omitting Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe. ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

My name is Pumpsie. LOLOLOL. Hahahaha

You just have 15 posts. You will get used to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm a big fan of Mike Carp, who I hope performs well for the Red Sox (although I will cringe if Carp becomes the next Shin-Soo Choo, Mike Morse, David Ortiz or Asdrubal Cabrera, whom my Mariners traded away for nearly nothing).

I still think that was the biggest swindle in baseball history.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Although getting Pedro for a bunch of guys that never really did anything comes very close. And Sparky Lyle for Danny Cater is probably right up there too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What about Johan Santana for Jared Camp?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Did you have a TOTR starter in mind? There don't seem to be any available. Reiterating a need that we likely won't be able to fill from outside the organization in every post is kind of beating a dead horse don't you think?

Exaggerate much? The fact of the matter IS that we need great SP to win a ring, and we don't have it. I also have written that there were really no options THIS year to fill that role, so I am happy we did not surrender any prospects of significance, especially no pitching prospects. That said, I agree with Moon that Cherington seems to be playing this half way and is not going all out to get pitching prospects in exchange for some of our deadwood on the team like Ellsbury, who is likely gone after this year anyway, and possibly Salty or Lavarnway. If we are really planning for 2015 then the proper tact is to do whatever is necessary to get great SP by then. I don't see that happening.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What about Johan Santana for Jared Camp?

That one belongs in the annals too. The Marlins/Expos seem to have a penchant for bad trades, although they did ok in the Beckett/Lowell deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

My question is how is Softy handling this?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Exaggerate much? The fact of the matter IS that we need great SP to win a ring, and we don't have it. I also have written that there were really no options THIS year to fill that role, so I am happy we did not surrender any prospects of significance, especially no pitching prospects. That said, I agree with Moon that Cherington seems to be playing this half way and is not going all out to get pitching prospects in exchange for some of our deadwood on the team like Ellsbury, who is likely gone after this year anyway, and possibly Salty or Lavarnway. If we are really planning for 2015 then the proper tact is to do whatever is necessary to get great SP by then. I don't see that happening.

You contradict yourself you want to trade the players that are going to perform this year in order to improve pitching this season. They only way the Sox do anything this year is if the pitchers pitch like their baseball cards. By mid season reevaluate, I wouldnt want to build a team that win 3-2 yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Seattle Mariners reportedly have a list of four low-level Red Sox prospects as the potential PTBNL, according to beat reporter Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/2013/02/20/mariners-are-looking-at-group-of-four-non-premium-minor-leaguers-as-return-in-mike-carp-deal/

I'm still pulling for 18-year-old outfield prospect Manuel Margot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You contradict yourself you want to trade the players that are going to perform this year in order to improve pitching this season. They only way the Sox do anything this year is if the pitchers pitch like their baseball cards. By mid season reevaluate, I wouldnt want to build a team that win 3-2 yet.

Not at all! I am suggesting we trade useful chips (ie players that are likely to perform this year) for pitching prospects that are likely to perform at a high level in 2015, not this year. If this year is a rebuilding year, lets rebuild. Playing it half way is a poor strategy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I still think that was the biggest swindle in baseball history.

Viewed in a vaccuum, that trade was horrible. But combined with the Jamie Moyer trade* a year earlier, the net results are somewhat closer. ;-)

* on July 30, 1996, the Red Sox traded Jamie Moyer to the Mariners for Darren Bragg. According to Baseball Reference, Moyer produced 31.6 WAR for Seattle while Bragg produced 5.6 WAR for Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

This one is a real dumpster dive IMO. He probably doesn't even make the team, although he might provide decent depth at Pawtucket until Travis Shaw is ready for promotion.

Lyle Overbay can only opt out of his contract if he is not on the 40 man by end of March.  This is helpful, as we can park him in AAA (while keeping him on the 40 man).  Im actually shocked that this contract was the best Overbay could do.

I would think that somebody would grant him a guaranteed spot on the major league roster as some kind of backup.  

The person who is probably most upset about the Carp acquisition is Hazzelbaker.  I heard he is tearing the cover off the ball right now.  I would assume that Nava isnt too happy either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Has the bar been lowered so much that we are celebrating the acquisition of a .213 hitting Mariner reject ? 

That was his AVG last year in appx 150 at-bats.  Talk about misleading facts.  his career avg is higher.  He has power against righties (so he will platoon well with Napoli and Gomes) and He has spent the last couple seasons hitting in one of the worst hitters ballparks, and he's only in his mid 20's

Exactly. Acquiring Carp is much ado about nothing. This does absolutely nothing to make this team better other than getting one more warm body to fill in if someone gets injured. We are still a .500 team at best this year.

I'd say it does make the team better, though it's not likely to be an earth-shattering difference. We needed a LH first baseman/outfielder, and Carp fits the bill. I feel better with him in that role than Nava or Overbay.

Mike Carp lifetime stats: .255/.740. Playing in Seattle probably affects his OPS somewhat. Maybe he does improve the team a little, but our real need (and everyone here knows this) is top of the rotation SP. And for the benefit of 4B's, we are still a .500 team, both before and after this acquisition.

David Price?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

David Price?

Not likely.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

We are still a .500 team

My name is Pumpsie. LOLOLOL. Hahahaha

Does anybody else find any irony in a parrot poking fun of someone for being repetitive?