Sox get reliever Morales from the Rockies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sox get reliever Morales from the Rockies

From Boston.com:

A Major League source said tonight the Red Sox were close to completing a trade for lefthanded reliever Franklin Morales of the Rockies

The 25-year-old has a 3.86 ERA in 14 appearances this season. Lefthanders have hit .185 against him in 135 career at-bats. Morales has walked 8 in 14 innings with 11 strikeouts.

It was uncertain at the moment whether Morales would be added to the major league roster. Morales is 7-11 with a 4.83 ERA over parts of five seasons with 10 saves. Morales has started 15 games in his career but none since 2009.

UPDATE, 10:43 p.m.: The trade is done. The Rockies will receive a player to be named later or cash. Hideki Okajima has been designated for assignment.

Okajima had a 4.32 ERA in seven appearances. He had been used sparingly since being called up on April 18. With Rich Hill pitching well, Okajima had no role. Morales could become the long reliever with Alfredo Aceves and Tim Wakefield now in the rotation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox get reliever Morales from the Rockies

Nice last line Mojo. Did...

Mr. Charlie told you so?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I didn't realize this, but Morales was the #8 prospect in the country pior to 2008.  Don't really know why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Epstein may have his detractors who disgree with this move or that move, but there is no denying the man rarely sits still.

Who else is making deals in mid-May?!?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

#8 prospect? He was signed by the Rockies as an un-drafted free agent at age 16. Don't see anything special about him. But Sox are really hurting for long relief.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Theo is usually drawn to some aspect of pedigree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

You give him a few lefty on lefty chances and see how he does (in non-pressure situations).  This is perhaps an incremental improvement over Oki.  (Though I still think Oki may come up in July and prove to be of value.)

But once Wheeler and Jenks are ready, where will he Morales fit?  Hill has so far proven he belongs.  I don't see Morales staying over Jenks or Wheeler, no matter how bad the start of their year was. 

Hopefully the player to be named is one of the "no longer a prospect" players Theo has for depth in the minors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Sox get reliever Morales from the Rockies:
    You give him a few lefty on lefty chances and see how he does (in non-pressure situations).  This is perhaps an incremental improvement over Oki.  (Though I still think Oki may come up in July and prove to be of value.) But once Wheeler and Jenks are ready, where will he Morales fit?  Hill has so far proven he belongs.  I don't see Morales staying over Jenks or Wheeler, no matter how bad the start of their year was.  Hopefully the player to be named is one of the "no longer a prospect" players Theo has for depth in the minors.
    Posted by parhunter1

Morales is staying in your bullpen for the foreseeable future; Epstein is stubborn and won't risk losing him anytime soon.

Based on his numbers this season, he would be one of your top relievers. He has more closing experience than a Daniel Bard, more starting experience than an Alfredo Aceves. I will admit that this was a steal for the Red Sox. The only concern is his home/road splits: 3.39 ERA at home at Coors, 6.09 on the road.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Isn't Coors a hitter's park?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Isn't Coors a hitter's park?
    Posted by parhunter1

Exactly. Which makes the splits that much more interesting, had to re-read them myself. Have to see how it works for him in Fenway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He has solid numbers as a situational lefty if I remember correctly. He's the #2 situational lefty I would think.

Maybe we should have made it a 2 fer and gotten Iannetta also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

MrMojo posted "Lefthanders have hit .185 against him in 135 career at-bats."

Sorry, I must have missed it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

This year his splits are 5.19 era at home and 1.69 era on the road. I like this pick up. If he can reduce his walks and keep his strike out rate up he will be solid for us. His fastball tops out at 95/96 mph and he has a pretty good curveball. Hard throwing lefties are not easy to come by. He is only 25 years old as well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You give him a few lefty on lefty chances and see how he does (in non-pressure situations).  This is perhaps an incremental improvement over Oki.  (Though I still think Oki may come up in July and prove to be of value.) But once Wheeler and Jenks are ready, where will he Morales fit?  Hill has so far proven he belongs.  I don't see Morales staying over Jenks or Wheeler, no matter how bad the start of their year was.  Hopefully the player to be named is one of the "no longer a prospect" players Theo has for depth in the minors.
    Posted by parhunter1

Wheeler may have a shorter leash than you anticipate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

This year his splits are 5.19 era at home and 1.69 era on the road. I like this pick up. If he can reduce his walks and keep his strike out rate up he will be solid for us. His fastball tops out at 95/96 mph and he has a pretty good curveball. Hard throwing lefties are not easy to come by. He is only 25 years old as well. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

The Red Sox basically got a Felix Doubront who is two years older and more experienced. For all the hype that pseudo-prospect gets, now you guys have an actual pitcher that might be able to live up to the hype.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It's an interesting pickup. I think I like it more than the Millwood signing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

You'd have to figure that Morales is a temporary solution in the pen. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

You'd have to figure that Morales is a temporary solution in the pen. 
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

I don't know ... this smells like a Theo project to me.  Thinking he is viewed as having multiple uses (v.Lefty, mop up cannon fodder, Wake DL insurance ....) and significant possible upside given his age and, idk, "pedigree" I guess you'd call it.

EDIT: To clarify, when I say mop up cannon fodder, I mean if he is stinking it up for a bit, I think they'd slide him into that role instead of releasing him.  I think he'll get a long-ish leash either way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Epstein may have his detractors who disgree with this move or that move, but there is no denying the man rarely sits still. Who else is making deals in mid-May?!?

Posted by notin

You mean like at last year's trading deadline?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Sox get reliever Morales from the Rockies:
    From Boston.com: A Major League source said tonight the Red Sox were close to completing a trade for lefthanded reliever Franklin Morales of the Rockies The 25-year-old has a 3.86 ERA in 14 appearances this season. Lefthanders have hit .185 against him in 135 career at-bats. Morales has walked 8 in 14 innings with 11 strikeouts. It was uncertain at the moment whether Morales would be added to the major league roster. Morales is 7-11 with a 4.83 ERA over parts of five seasons with 10 saves. Morales has started 15 games in his career but none since 2009. UPDATE, 10:43 p.m.: The trade is done. The Rockies will receive a player to be named later or cash. Hideki Okajima has been designated for assignment. Okajima had a 4.32 ERA in seven appearances. He had been used sparingly since being called up on April 18. With Rich Hill pitching well, Okajima had no role. Morales could become the long reliever with Alfredo Aceves and Tim Wakefield now in the rotation.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Good move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

.185 against lefties ... sounds good to me ... welcome aboard, Mr. Morales. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Sox get reliever Morales from the Rockies : I don't know ... this smells like a Theo project to me.  Thinking he is viewed as having multiple uses (v.Lefty, mop up cannon fodder, Wake DL insurance ....) and significant possible upside given his age and, idk, "pedigree" I guess you'd call it. EDIT: To clarify, when I say mop up cannon fodder, I mean if he is stinking it up for a bit, I think they'd slide him into that role instead of releasing him.  I think he'll get a long-ish leash either way.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

Smart Sox fan here. Knows his stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Nice low risk/high reward project.  Saw him play in the future's All Star game a few years ago.  He has a big time fastball.  Just can't control it.  He's got a different body type than Andrew Miller I believe (short and stocky rather than tall and lanky), but it looks like they're hoping at least one of these former top prospects can develop into a power lefty reliever, and maybe even a future starter.

Sections
Shortcuts