Sox Going After Beltran

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Sox Going After Beltran

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7209684/report-boston-red-sox-going-free-agent-carlos-beltran

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Re: Sox Going After Beltran

Well he hits from the right side.  We need that.  I'm in favor. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Maybe the idea is to have Beltran at DH vs RHP with Reddick in RF and Youkilis at 3B.  Then vs. LHP, Beltran plays RF, Youkilis DH and Lowrie at 3B.

Too complicated?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe the idea is to have Beltran at DH vs RHP with Reddick in RF and Youkilis at 3B.  Then vs. LHP, Beltran plays RF, Youkilis DH and Lowrie at 3B.

Too complicated?

You beat me to the punch, but you forgot one scenario, what do we do when Beltran is on the DL?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like the idea just afraid he'll pick up where drew left of at, always on the DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

How can he be on DL if he is going to DH half of these games??  Why someone mentioned Reddick will platoon with Beltran?  Where is Kalish?  Reddick is going to be trade!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

What is the expected contract for Beltran?  8 million per?  More than 2 years seems like a risky move to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

I dont like it. 34 and on the down side.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

ben, please, no

we need to get younger and hungrier, not waste money on past performance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

As a option he would be OK...stats are what the Sox need in a RH power hitter.  However like most here am concerned with his DL stints and age.  My guess is he is looking for one last contract and I would hate to see the Sox go out on a limb for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He played in 142 games last year between NY and San Francisco.He hit .300,had 39 doubles,6 triples,84 RBIs and 22 HR's.His HR total was probably affected a little by playing roughly a third of his games in the cavernous Citi Field.
      His OBP was .385 and slugging .525.Pretty decent numbers all around

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran:
    ben, please, no we need to get younger and hungrier, not waste money on past performance.
    Posted by Guvnor

My sentiments exactly!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

ben, please, no we need to get younger and hungrier, not waste money on past performance.
    Posted by Guvnor

TRUE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Maybe the idea is to have Beltran at DH vs RHP with Reddick in RF and Youkilis at 3B.  Then vs. LHP, Beltran plays RF, Youkilis DH and Lowrie at 3B. Too complicated?
    Posted by notin

Not complicated, just a horrible option if any Sox starting lineup has a Lowrie, Kalish or a Reddick in it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Hellooooo! Beltran is a switch hitter. He doesn't need to platoon with Hillbilly Josh.
    As for him DHing, you're assuming Papi is gone. I must've missed it. Who did he sign with?
    I'm on the fence with this one. If Beltran was 32 or so, fine. He did have a good year, though.
    If healthy, he's light years ahead of Reddick or Drew.
    Sean McAdam mentioned Carlos Quentin as a possibility. He'd be my choice.
    I like the Beurhle talk, though. He's an innings eater and a competitor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Maybe the idea is to have Beltran at DH vs RHP with Reddick in RF and Youkilis at 3B.  Then vs. LHP, Beltran plays RF, Youkilis DH and Lowrie at 3B. Too complicated?
    Posted by notin

Any plan that expects 150+ games from Kevin Youkilis is a pipe dream.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boy without knowing much about it this tells me the FO is still bent on having stars in every position, old or not. This tells me that they will never put a Kalish or Iglesias in a starters position unless absolutely necessary - such as Reddick only replacing Drew because Nancy was hurt.

This tells me the tactics remain the same.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Hellooooo! Beltran is a switch hitter. He doesn't need to platoon with Hillbilly Josh. As for him DHing, you're assuming Papi is gone. I must've missed it. Who did he sign with? I'm on the fence with this one. If Beltran was 32 or so, fine. He did have a good year, though. If healthy, he's light years ahead of Reddick or Drew. Sean McAdam mentioned Carlos Quentin as a possibility. He'd be my choice. I like the Beurhle talk, though. He's an innings eater and a competitor.
    Posted by GhostofTito

In the weird scenario outlined above, Reddick was platooning with Lowrie.  Keep up. Youkilis and Beltran both would play every day.

As for Ortiz, he is a free agent.  No need to assume he is gone; he is.  Again, keep up.  At this point, the only assumption is that he comes back...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Boy without knowing much about it this tells me the FO is still bent on having stars in every position, old or not. This tells me that they will never put a Kalish or Iglesias in a starters position unless absolutely necessary - such as Reddick only replacing Drew because Nancy was hurt. This tells me the tactics remain the same.
    Posted by BurritoT

Dustin Pedroia might not agree with you...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I advocated for Beltran last summer, asking that he play RF and DH when Ortiz might be hurt or need a day. I was told that was highly illogical by some of the board brain-supremacists.  Now it appears the mood of the board thinks differently.

Let Ortiz walk and Beltran plays as much RF as possible, leaving the DH spot open for the likes of Beltran, Youk, and whomever needs a break. The othe roption is to play Reddick or Kalish in RF, re-sign Ortiz, and hope Youk stays healthy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

If Karmine likes him he will be inked at all costs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Absurd. No value in Beltran, a very old and injury ridden man. Come on Cherry, don't be InEpstein.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

i agree, good pick up last summer for the short term.... but not now

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I advocated for Beltran last summer, asking that he play RF and DH when Ortiz might be hurt or need a day. I was told that was highly illogical by some of the board brain-supremacists .  Now it appears the mood of the board thinks differently. Let Ortiz walk and Beltran plays as much RF as possible, leaving the DH spot open for the likes of Beltran, Youk, and whomever needs a break. The othe roption is to play Reddick or Kalish in RF, re-sign Ortiz, and hope Youk stays healthy.
    Posted by BurritoT

That is exactly right!!  Boston isnt going to sign both Beltran and Papi.  I just do think the front management rather to deal with Papi cuz they stated that they wanted him back.  If no deal is in place between two parties, then Boston will go after Beltran. But if Beltran signs elsewhere, then Boston will go to plan C.

Right now, it is seem that Boston may not even make any blockbuster trade. Cuz these teams are probably asking too much from Boston, and Boston know they now wont take Lar Anderson, Bowen, Reddick, etc.  These teams rather to have Middlebrook, Lavanway, Rouaton, Kalish, etc.

Well, the winter meeting seem that it havent begin yet.  So therefore, I guess it is going to be a long winter season for everyone!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

As a piece of the  2012 picture  --OK   but if this is the main signing with the "hope" that he produces big time might be a stretch.

Sections
Shortcuts