Sox Going After Beltran

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Sox Going After Beltran

In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran:
    In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Yeah, but you can forget Francouer.  He's going nowhere.  Just signed a super team friendly deal and has become the face of that organization.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Was not aware of a long term deal. Well, he'll never see a ring with KC. Perhaps a little persuasion on the part of management, and some enticing "carrots" could swing a deal.
    Pie in the sky most likely though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Well he hits from the right side.  We need that.  I'm in favor. 
    Posted by schwank

He is actually a switch hitter which is even better

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Why not take a look at Yoenis cespedes? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

not unless he's cheap, and I seriously doubt any contract talk with Beltran will end well financially for the sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Maybe the idea is to have Beltran at DH vs RHP with Reddick in RF and Youkilis at 3B.  Then vs. LHP, Beltran plays RF, Youkilis DH and Lowrie at 3B. Too complicated? You beat me to the punch, but you forgot one scenario, what do we do when Beltran is on the DL?
    Posted by moonslav59

Agree that he is often injured.  The Red Sox don't need any additional players with injury problems. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Yeah, right. He made $19M last year and he's going to play for us for $8M. What planet are you from?
    Posted by Alibiike

JD made 14 million last year, does that mean he is getting that again?  Beltran signed that 19 million for 2011 7 years ago, so while 8 million is a little low, I don't think it is far off. 

The main problem with Beltran is the years of the contract.  Anything longer than 2 years with a club option for a 3rd strikes me as a bad deal.  He does fill a need in both RF and being a RH bat but I'm still inclined to think the Red Sox should take a less expensive approach to the RF situation and spend money on MORE PITCHING.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Sox Going After Beltran:

Can we try for someone a little older?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If and when he signs, tell Beltran that because he no longer had Bora$ as an agent, Sox were willing to sign him...LOL...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

No way. Not another aging injured ball player. I would rather give the younger kids a shot at winning right field over Beltran. No.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has anyone noticed how the Pirates only have about $6.75 to 9.5M on the books for 2012 depending on which site you believe?

They have a lot of needs now, but I can't see us prying Andrew McCutchen from them (as much as I'd love to).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Pathetic, they should be forced out of the league.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Any report from Heyman about a Boras client prior to an official club announcement that they have signed that player is 90% of the time Scott Boras trying to create a market for his client.

IMHO the RS would be interested in giving Beltran a "Beltre" type of showcase deal, where they are basically totally on the hook for only one year, Beltran could get a vesting option for games played but could opt out if the market for his services was great like it was for Beltre after his one season showcasing in Fenway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Beltran's value to the RS is his versatility, DH or RF, and his defense when healthy.

I always chuckle when someone says a player is "versatile" because they can barely play one on-the-field position and DH. Granted, not all players should DH, and some never should, but I mean, how versatile is it really?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Beltran's value to the RS is his versatility, DH or RF, and his defense when healthy. I always chuckle when someone says a player is "versatile" because they can barely play one on-the-field position and DH. Granted, not all players should DH, and some never should, but I mean, how versatile is it really?
    Posted by moonslav59

It was all the rage last offseason with Victor Martinez.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

The Red Sox have Josh Reddick, Juan Carlos Linares, hopefully a healthy Ryan Kalish, and if the team could sign Yoenis Cespedes, to go along with Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury, I'd rather see the Red Sox go with the competition among younger outfielders than signing someone like Carlos Beltran, even for 2 Seasons, certainly not 3.  Instincts tell me that the Red Sox have 2 pretty good hitting catchers, Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway, who should be able to also make contributions at DH.  That is another reason for not re-signing David Ortiz. Something everyone found out during the September spiral, is that spending on the starting pitching staff could be much more fruitful. Whether we fans like it or not, with no assurance Lackey will ever be an asset in the rotation again, DiceK will not pitch until mid-season and both pitching coaches John Farrell and Curt Young never got what the Red Sox hoped out of DiceK's after his first season, whether the Red Sox move Aceves to the rotation, starting and bullpen pitching needs are much more critical. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Why not take a look at Yoenis cespedes
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

los cespedes siempre son más verdes del otro ...

Actually, this is a stretch.  The translation is more like, "La hierba siempre es más verde del otro ..."  But what the grass?  I mean hay. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Hate this move, I don't want us anywhere near him OR Darvish. Let's face it for 100m Daisuke is an absolute bust. 5 IP, 100 pitches, and 4 hours later we may be in the game but it's no where near worth it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i agree the sox should not go anywhere near beltran he makes no sense for this team. We get rid of one injury prone mid 30's outfielder so now we should sign another? we need to get younger not older. I would much rather take a shot on sizemore than sign beltran. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

katz,

while I agree with your position, from a Red Sox point of view, I see no reason for Beltran to do a Beltre type of showcase deal.  Not at his age, and not with the year he had last season.  Beltre was trying to redeem himself after coming off of a contract in which he performed poorly on offense in a park that leant itself to poor performances.  By accepting a one-year deal in a park where he could hope to pad his numbers he gambled that it would payoff in a lucrative long-term deal.  At Beltran's age, that makes no sense.  Besides, he performed as well offensively last season as anyone could expect.  He has to be looking for the best deal (in terms of length and salary) as he can get.  It may be the last deal he gets.  And being that he is at great risk for injury, it would not behoove him to go on a one-year deal.

According to most recent speculation, Beltran has few suitors (Sox and Marlins, if Giants are truly out of it).  However, the Yankees have a need in RF too.  Beltran to the Evil Empire makes more sense to me than having him come here.  In Boston there are several players who could take over for Drew, and one of them was the presumptive replacement just a year ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : It was all the rage last offseason with Victor Martinez.
    Posted by notin

...true, but at least VMart can barely play 2 positions and DH.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hate this move, I don't want us anywhere near him OR Darvish. Let's face it for 100m Daisuke is an absolute bust. 5 IP, 100 pitches, and 4 hours later we may be in the game but it's no where near worth it.

Just because Yu is from the same country as Dice-K doesn't mean there will be similar issues with him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

while I agree with your position, from a Red Sox point of view, I see no reason for Beltran to do a Beltre type of showcase deal.  Not at his age, and not with the year he had last season.  Beltre was trying to redeem himself after coming off of a contract in which he performed poorly on offense in a park that leant itself to poor performances.  By accepting a one-year deal in a park where he could hope to pad his numbers he gambled that it would payoff in a lucrative long-term deal.  At Beltran's age, that makes no sense.  Besides, he performed as well offensively last season as anyone could expect.  He has to be looking for the best deal (in terms of length and salary) as he can get.  It may be the last deal he gets.  And being that he is at great risk for injury, it would not behoove him to go on a one-year deal.

According to most recent speculation, Beltran has few suitors (Sox and Marlins, if Giants are truly out of it).  However, the Yankees have a need in RF too.  Beltran to the Evil Empire makes more sense to me than having him come here.  In Boston there are several players who could take over for Drew, and one of them was the presumptive replacement just a year ago.

I agree. I think, with his injury hi9story, he goes for broke now. He'll try to get the longest, highest paying deal out there and maybe even retire afterwards.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

ya i agree the sox should not go anywhere near beltran he makes no sense for this team. We get rid of one injury prone mid 30's outfielder so now we should sign another? we need to get younger not older. I would much rather take a shot on sizemore than sign beltran. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

I think sizemore, although younger, has many knee issues and has played in 210 games the last 3 years..Oh yeah, hes a LHB too. we need someone that bats RH to play the OF..beltran played 142 games last year and did well. I think Beltran has played just under 300 games the last 3 years. Hes a SH and if his cost is low, Id pick him. personally, sizemore scares me more than Beltran and I dont think hes a good fit..

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

while I agree with your position, from a Red Sox point of view, I see no reason for Beltran to do a Beltre type of showcase deal.  Not at his age, and not with the year he had last season.  Beltre was trying to redeem himself after coming off of a contract in which he performed poorly on offense in a park that leant itself to poor performances.  By accepting a one-year deal in a park where he could hope to pad his numbers he gambled that it would payoff in a lucrative long-term deal.  At Beltran's age, that makes no sense.  Besides, he performed as well offensively last season as anyone could expect.  He has to be looking for the best deal (in terms of length and salary) as he can get.  It may be the last deal he gets.  And being that he is at great risk for injury, it would not behoove him to go on a one-year deal. According to most recent speculation, Beltran has few suitors (Sox and Marlins, if Giants are truly out of it).  However, the Yankees have a need in RF too.  Beltran to the Evil Empire makes more sense to me than having him come here.  In Boston there are several players who could take over for Drew, and one of them was the presumptive replacement just a year ago. I agree. I think, with his injury hi9story, he goes for broke now. He'll try to get the longest, highest paying deal out there and maybe even retire afterwards.
    Posted by moonslav59
    I agree with Parhunter and you Moon, I was stating where the RS interests likely are. Beltran is older than Beltre was so he'd really have to find a flat market with very unattractive longer tem deals like Beltre did in 2010 to be compelled to look at a deal that would fit him and the RS.

Sections
Shortcuts