Sox Going After Beltran

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Sox Going After Beltran

No, he has all the earmarks of recent bad signings. Getting older, best days far behind him, extremely injury prone, speed gone due to knee injuries, will demand a high salary with years attached. I would rather save the money and go with Reddick/Kalish and lose. What is another third place finish if we save some money and restock the minors?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Sign Beltran--those numbers from last season, if duplicated, and being a switch hitter, with the ability to play in the field, make him more valuable than Papi. In addition I would sign Cody Ross as the full time RF. Let K and Red fight it out for the 4 th OF.

3 b--tough question--Aviles and Lowrie can handle the position and Lowrie can play first if AGon needs a day off. That leaves Youk as the odd man out. I would look to trade Youk to the Astros for Wandy Rodriguez or to a team with another quality starter.

Youk is a very valuable trade commodity--even though several posters disagree.If he hasn't been moved before the Winter Meetings I think Ben will find a trading partner there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran:
    [QUOTE] You beat me to the punch, but you forgot one scenario, what do we do when Beltran is on the DL?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I figure between Beltran, Youk, and Lowrie they should get 162 games...combined.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe the idea is to have Beltran at DH vs RHP with Reddick in RF and Youkilis at 3B.  Then vs. LHP, Beltran plays RF, Youkilis DH and Lowrie at 3B. Too complicated?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Makes sense.   Beltran recently dropped Scott Boras as hit agent and may listen to a 2-year deal.     Saves his knees by being an occasional DH.     The money that would be thrown away signing a decining Ortiz is better spent on Beltran.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadow721. Show Shadow721's posts

I say pass on Beltran.....he's injury prone. You might say he's a mutt....lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Interesting option...

Sox sign Beltran for 2 year deal at $8million per...he takes over in RF for at least 2012 and then spends more time at DH in 2013.

Assuming his acquisition would mean the end of Ortiz's time as DH, this would set up a interesting flexible line-up situation where Beltran, Youkilis and Gonzalez sharing the DH role with Youk playing 1B when AGon is DH, Reddick/Kalish play RF when Beltran DH's and Lowrie/Aviles plays 2B when Youk DHs.

I rather see Beltran out there in RF, if the cost is reasonable, then Reddick who looked good at times but lacked consistency. Kalish might be an option but he is a question mark as well right now.

I think the Quention option is possible as well, but i think the Sox need to trade for him whereas Beltran costs no players to acquire.

The one thing the naysayers don't factor in, is the fact that when Beltran is healthy he is a pretty good player...he never has won anything so motivation for that may be a priority to him at his age now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Makes sense.   Beltran recently dropped Scott Boras as hit agent and may listen to a 2-year deal.     Saves his knees by being an occasional DH.     The money that would be thrown away signing a decining Ortiz is better spent on Beltran.  
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Beltran over Ortiz.  I also think he isn't worth more than 7-9m/year...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the Quention option is possible as well, but i think the Sox need to trade for him whereas Beltran costs no players to acquire.

While technically true, spending big on Beltran limits who else we sign for other slots...real players not gained.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I just don't want Boston to end up with three starters who may need more time at DH just to get enough games in. Beltran, Youk, and Ortiz all on the same roster is a risky situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]No, he has all the earmarks of recent bad signings. Getting older, best days far behind him, extremely injury prone, speed gone due to knee injuries, will demand a high salary with years attached. I would rather save the money and go with Reddick/Kalish and lose. What is another third place finish if we save some money and restock the minors?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

sindarin,

I doubt the Sox will offer more than a two year deal...Beltran hasn't been injury prone. He injured his knees which was mis diagnosed by the Met's as a strain. He and Boras (like Ellsbury last year) consulted there own doctors and they found that his injury was far more serious then previuosly diagnosed by the Mets. He then had micro fracture surgury to repair the damage (The same surgury that Sizemore in Cleveland had) One that takes full calander year to rehab from...which is why Beltran missed so much action in 2009 and 2010.

Last year he put up some pretty decent numbers playing RF, not DHing...Cleary he's not the explosive athlete he was when he played in KC, but is still a very good middle of the order bat. Who if healthy I see no reason that he won't continue to be a well above average player...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Interesting on Beltran, he will make the 400 homer club in 4 to 5 years. He also played in 142 games last year and hit 39 doubles... 22 homers. He would be capable IMO of 140 games, 40 doubles, 25 homers, and 80 ribbies in his first season back in the AL.  It would have been good to get him last summer for a test drive.... too bad Theo did not listen to BurritoT.

All things being even contract wise between Ortiz and Beltran I would go with Carlos without hesitation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If the price for Carlos Quentin in trade isn't too steep, and it shouldn't be since after next season he becomes a FA, I would seriously consider that trade; then sign Carlos Beltran as a FA. Interestingly enough they both had similar power numbers 20 + HR's and in the neighborhood of 80 RBI.

You could always have Beltran as the fulltime DH as a switch hitter and play C.Q. as your fulltime right fielder to keep things in balance. That would eliminate the need for Papi all together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Don't worry guys.. CB's not coming to Boston...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Could it be a smoke screen if Papi doesnt sign?

Beltran could play right few games week and DH.

He has a wrist problem when he got to Gaints, plus the litany of other ailments that are well document.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Don't worry guys.. CB's not coming to Boston...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

gee thanks seanny, we needed that official word from you to scrap this topic!

Whew, time to move on to other things then.

With your infinite wisdom can you tell us who WILL be coming to Boston?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Intersting chat, gents.

I am - or have been - very concerned about the DL issue.  Beltran, in his native language, means "please take a seat."

I know .... it doesn't, but life has to have been frsutrating for him and the Mets. 

Interesting posibility.  I like it.

And as for the youngsters, please take note that we had full time OF'ers for the last two seasons and a couple of bench OFers and we still needed Nava, Kalish, and Reddick quite a bit!   They will get their turns, I am, sadly, sure of it.

And the thought it means Papi is gone?  Nuh Uh.

Beltran will be th RFer, not DH.  He might DH some, Papi missed 16 games or so last season ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Beltran can be healthy, I think he would be a good pick up but I wouldn't want him for more than 2 years.  There is a good amount of talent in our farm system that is at the lower level that has the potential to be a big bat in the lineup....and and and finding a power hitting outfielder with avg to above avg defense isn't the hardest thing in the world. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Maybe Boston shouldnt go after Beltran at all or just sign him an one year contract.  Read this article below:  Alot of talent OF's for the 2013 free agency class:

Olney On Dodgers, Beltran

The latest blog post from ESPN's Buster Olney (Insider required)...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting option... Sox sign Beltran for 2 year deal at $8million per...he takes over in RF for at least 2012 and then spends more time at DH in 2013. Assuming his acquisition would mean the end of Ortiz's time as DH, this would set up a interesting flexible line-up situation where Beltran, Youkilis and Gonzalez sharing the DH role with Youk playing 1B when AGon is DH, Reddick/Kalish play RF when Beltran DH's and Lowrie/Aviles plays 2B when Youk DHs. I rather see Beltran out there in RF, if the cost is reasonable, then Reddick who looked good at times but lacked consistency. Kalish might be an option but he is a question mark as well right now. I think the Quention option is possible as well, but i think the Sox need to trade for him whereas Beltran costs no players to acquire. The one thing the naysayers don't factor in, is the fact that when Beltran is healthy he is a pretty good player...he never has won anything so motivation for that may be a priority to him at his age now.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Yeah, right. He made $19M last year and he's going to play for us for $8M. What planet are you from?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]i agree, good pick up last summer for the short term.... but not now
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You're probably right about long term.  He was playing for a contract last year and his performance showed it. 

Before he went to the Mets he had a decent season but a great playoff for the Astro's.  Last season was pretty good but if you look at the rest of his years with the Mets, his prime as it were but not his walk year, he averaged about 120 or so games, a little over 20 Hrs and about a .280 average.  Decent production but not spectacular. 

Beltran's value to the RS is his versatility, DH or RF, and his defense when healthy.  At issue is his ability to stay healthy going forward.  He's spent significant time on DL and it's not likely that gets better as he gets older.  If the money is right he'd make a good DH that can fill in occasionally in RF. But it looks as if he's looking for more in terms of money or years than most teams, including the RS, are willing to part with. 

Last season was the time to trade for him.  He was driving for his next contract, it was short term and it would have provided the opportunity to test drive him to see if he was worth the investment going forward.  Now it more like buyer beware.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Yeah, right. He made $19M last year and he's going to play for us for $8M. What planet are you from?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Spot on Ike.  I mean all this talk of beltran at 8 per for 2 years is really nice.  i love it.  That actually would be a no brainer.  But, Boras or no Boras, it ain't happenin'.  The market may turn out to be something less than robust for Carlos' services, but I highly doubt it will be so weak that he would settle for 2/16.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Yaz, old friend:

As a RHB, he will put some dings in the wall.  We need that from the right side.

Nice perk:  Beltran's chasing down flies in Fenway's RF will be full of suspense and mystery. Who doesn't like those elements in their entertainment, I tell ya!

Can acknowledge that we need to get younger anf faster, but for a year or two, Beltran may be  - dare I say it? - a bridge (Ouch! Stop hitting me!) to a more permanent RF solution.

Tho moon has a point:  If he will be on the DL more often than not, then why not re-sign Drew and skip Beltran?  Drew would be cheaper and just as productive.
    Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I know that, at some point, you are what your record says you are, and this is why we hesitate on Beltran.  Still, I kind of favor a one-year contract ($10-12 mil tops) with a one-year player option, w/ low buy-out. 

Reasons?  My gut, which has been wrong at times, tells me that Beltran can be another Bobby Abreu, which is to say:  I think that, despite the chatter about his age, his legs, his eyesight, his attitude, Beltran can find a way to come back next year (and maybe the year after that) and light up the scoreboard and not embarrass himself in the OF.

Bill James cannot corroborate these conclusions.

Perfectly willing to take heat for this. And if we get a year out of him like the year we got out of Beltre, everyone will be happy - and forget all the nasty things about him that were said on this forum, and maybe forget about all the money he was paid.

But i digress.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Yeah, right. He made $19M last year and he's going to play for us for $8M. What planet are you from?

Come on Ali...I shouldn't have to respond to this...that was a contract he signed with the Mets when he was one of the top players in the game, 4-5 years ago...Plus the fact that he is 5 years older now than when he signed that contract...if that means anything to you.

Since baseball contracts are guaranteed the salary he gets remains the same through the life of the contract, whether he stayed in NY or moved to SF. 

His status as one of the best players in the game is no longer valid...he is now a good player that will not get anywhere close to a $19M contract from anyone. If he gets more than $10Mill from anyone, he should be dancing to the bank again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Spot on Ike.  I mean all this talk of beltran at 8 per for 2 years is really nice.  i love it.  That actually would be a no brainer.  But, Boras or no Boras, it ain't happenin'.  The market may turn out to be something less than robust for Carlos' services, but I highly doubt it will be so weak that he would settle for 2/16.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Beltran is not going to play for Scutaro $$. He won't get close to $19M, but I bet he get's at least 12-14 with the year he had.
    If the intent is to rent a player to platoon with Reddick/Kalish, then get Andrew Jones or Josh Willingham....someone who is not going to eat up payroll we need for a SP.
    Or trade Reddick or Kalish and go younger, long term, for Jeff Francoeur. we already blew a chance to get pence.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox Going After Beltran : Exactly. Beltran is not going to play for Scutaro $$. He won't get close to $19M, but I bet he get's at least 12-14 with the year he had. If the intent is to rent a player to platoon with Reddick/Kalish, then get Andrew Jones or Josh Willingham....someone who is not going to eat up payroll we need for a SP. Or trade Reddick or Kalish and go younger, long term, for Jeff Francoeur. we already blew a chance to get pence.

Yeah, but you can forget Francouer.  He's going nowhere.  Just signed a super team friendly deal and has become the face of that organization.

Sections
Shortcuts