Sox have agreed to pick of Jon Lester's $13 million club option next season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Sox have agreed to pick of Jon Lester's $13 million club option next season

Anthony Witrado - The Sporting News, Sportswriter

Sources: The Red Sox have agreed to pick of Jon Lester's $13 million club option next season. Agreed upon, may still need to be signed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Sox have agreed to pick of Jon Lester's $13 million club option next season

Fat Cat Ace II

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No surprise there...At least to me anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree.  It's really a no-brainer, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Fat Cat Ace II

Regardless of where an individual stands on Lester's place in the beer & chicken pantheon, $13 mil, ridiculous as this may be, is hardly fat cat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree.  It's really a no-brainer, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

This worked out pretty well for us.  I had a question at one point if he would earn it, and another question of whether we'd decline the option, but offer a QO.  Now we have another year to extend or QO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

This seems to be a very logical move by the Red Sox.  Even if they do not keep him beyond next year his roster spot and his spot in the pitching rotation will not cost the team anything more than dollar bills (certainly many dollar bills), but at least no prospects moving out to replace Lester.

Lets hope that he has an even better last part of the 2013 season than he has had in the last few weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It started becomming a little bit iffy earlier this year, but yeah, a no-brainer.

Updated luxurt tax budget....

2014 Red Sox Player Payroll Budget (Luxury Tax Dollars)

$ 16.5M Lackey (then 1 year at league min)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester 

$7.5M Buchholz (to ’15, then club options at $13M & $13.5M)

$6M Thornton (Club option or $1M buyout- count as $1M or +$5M)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$4.25M Uehara (option is vested)

$3.125M Breslow ($4M club option in ’15 w. $0.1M buyout)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub TOTAL: $121M + $5M options= $126M

Estimated Arbitration (2013 salary):

$4.5M  Bailey 3 of 3 ($4.1M)

$2.3M  Morales 3 of 3 ($1.49M)

$2.2M  Miller 3 of 3 ($1.48M)

$1.5M  Tazawa 1 of 3 ($0.82M)

$1.5M  Carp 1 of 3 ($0.51M)

Estimated Arb Total: $12M

Estimated Pre-Arb Total: $12M

Doubront, Nava, Villarreal, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Snyder, Webster, Kalish, Bradley, Beato, Berry, Bogaerts, Britton, Butler, de la Rosa, de la Torre, Hassan, Holt, Vazquez, Wilson, Workman, Wright

Total Estimated 2014 Red Sox Payroll Budget:

$145M  no Thornton ($6M)

Or

$150M with  Thornton

2014 FAs

$13M Napoli (including $5M in bonuses)

$9.5M Drew

$9M Ellsbury

$7.04M Hanrahan

$4.5M Saltalamacchia

$1.5M McDonald

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Fat Cat Ace II

Regardless of where an individual stands on Lester's place in the beer & chicken pantheon, $13 mil, ridiculous as this may be, is hardly fat cat.

Fat Cat Ace is my nickname for him Eph, relax.....Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not a surprise.

As much as I hate the idea of trading pitching depth, this probably does mean the Sox will have to move a starter this off-season...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Not a surprise.

As much as I hate the idea of trading pitching depth, this probably does mean the Sox will have to move a starter this off-season...

I agree. With this kind of money being spent on 5 starters, and the cheaper Doubront and prospects available, one will likely go.

(Luxury Tax dollars or average contract salary)

$16.5M Lackey (then 1 year at league min)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13M Lester 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not a surprise.

I agree. With this kind of money being spent on 5 starters, and the cheaper Doubront and prospects available, one will likely go.

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13M Lester 

[/QUOTE]

Move Dempster then.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not a surprise.

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13M Lester 

[/QUOTE]

Move Dempster then.

[/QUOTE]

Makes the most sense, but we'd have to pay part of his deal just to get close to nothing in return. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Lackey or Doubront for a much better return. It's not like we would then be stuck with Dempster as the #5, we'd still have 3-4 kids to steal the job away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

As weird as it sounds, I think dempster will be moveable to an NL team who needs an innings eater, mid to back of rotation starter who also has bullpen experience. His stuff plays much better in the NL, a witnessed by his low 2's era for the awful cubs last year.  Yes the sox will have to pick up some of the  13m and won't get much in return, (maybe a flier on reliever depth), but I believe he is moveable, since he is a FA after next season. This would be the best scenario to minimize losing the starter depth that a team always needs and to open the door for one of the young arms to develop.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

A complete no-brainer but I'm sure there are some here that will question it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Lester had a great game we could have won, if not for a little mixup (nothing to do with Lester). Although it was a loss, he had the quietest game of the series. Losing by one run like that says nothing negative about Lester.

Wonder how he feels about the one-year contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Lester had a great game we could have won, if not for a little mixup (nothing to do with Lester). Although it was a loss, he had the quietest game of the series. Losing by one run like that says nothing negative about Lester.

Wonder how he feels about the one-year contract.

Ha.  Offer ME $13M to play baseball and see how *I* feel about it! 

A bit more seriously, this could very well be the precursor to an extention.  The Sox can exercise their option by just doing it - which lets both parties know the current plan.  Then they can negotiate further years if they choose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

1 year contract?  it's a club option that was part fo the contract he signed.  he shouldnt have signed the contract if he didnt want there to be a "club option".

how he feels?  who cares....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It started becomming a little bit iffy earlier this year, but yeah, a no-brainer.

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester 

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Doubront, Nava, Villarreal, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Snyder, Webster, Kalish, Bradley, Beato, Berry, Bogaerts, Britton, Butler, de la Rosa, de la Torre, Hassan, Holt, Vazquez, Wilson, Workman, Wright

$145M  no Thornton ($6M)

Or

$150M with  Thornton

2014 FAs

$9.5M Drew

$9M Ellsbury

$7.04M Hanrahan

$4.5M Saltalamacchia

$1.5M McDonald

Sox4ever

moon - Thanks for the data. I'm just guessing here, but I don't think they will tender Bailey at that price. They have cheaper more durable options. They have the choice of non-tendering him correct, since he's arb eligible?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester 

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

$145M  no Thornton ($6M)

Or

$150M with  Thornton

2014 FAs

$9.5M Drew

$9M Ellsbury

$7.04M Hanrahan

$4.5M Saltalamacchia

$1.5M McDonald

Sox4ever

They have somewhere between 40 and 45 million to spend. I don't know if they can resign all of their FA's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The only way I am ok with this is if we start Fining our pitchers 10,000 per incident for failing to hustle to back up the appropriate base.  Another $10K if (and when) Lester pouts, complains or curses in leui of playing defense........This is the hitters equivilant of not being able to get a bunt down.....UNACCEPTABLE at the ML level and something that is easy to do - no excuses esp for 13 mil a year......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

The only way I am ok with this is if we start Fining our pitchers 10,000 per incident for failing to hustle to back up the appropriate base.  Another $10K if (and when) Lester pouts, complains or curses in leui of playing defense........This is the hitters equivilant of not being able to get a bunt down.....UNACCEPTABLE at the ML level and something that is easy to do - no excuses esp for 13 mil a year......

Andre never liked Lester and unlike PG, it was very personal. Glad to see things haven't changed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah lets let Jon Lester walk away instead of paying him $13 million dollars in todays market.  There's a brillian ideal!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts