Sox have agreed to pick of Jon Lester's $13 million club option next season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Sox have agreed to pick of Jon Lester's $13 million club option next season

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

The only way I am ok with this is if we start Fining our pitchers 10,000 per incident for failing to hustle to back up the appropriate base.  Another $10K if (and when) Lester pouts, complains or curses in leui of playing defense........This is the hitters equivilant of not being able to get a bunt down.....UNACCEPTABLE at the ML level and something that is easy to do - no excuses esp for 13 mil a year......

OH yeah I'm sure the MLBPA will sign off on that, but hey if they complain...let's just FINE THEM.  Maybe we should fine batter for striking out, or pitchers for allowing HR's.

I'm sure that will show them, Obviously other methods aren't working so maybe if we fine these guys they will start trying harder. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The only way I am ok with this is if we start Fining our pitchers 10,000 per incident for failing to hustle to back up the appropriate base.  Another $10K if (and when) Lester pouts, complains or curses in leui of playing defense........This is the hitters equivilant of not being able to get a bunt down.....UNACCEPTABLE at the ML level and something that is easy to do - no excuses esp for 13 mil a year......

OH yeah I'm sure the MLBPA will sign off on that, but hey if they complain...let's just FINE THEM.  Maybe we should fine batter for striking out, or pitchers for allowing HR's.

I'm sure that will show them, Obviously other methods aren't working so maybe if we fine these guys they will start trying harder. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wow.....you really don't get it do you?  First, fines are adminstered by the team.

Second, we aren't talking about fining a player for a physical short-coming.  We are talking about fining a player for a mental lapse.  Like not running hard down the line or for not knowing how many outs there are. 

Maybe you think it's acceptable to not back up a base as a pitcher but that does not fly with me and it shouldn't with anyone who understands the right way to play the game.

Given Lester does this at least 2x a game, I think he'd smarten-up really fast as I'd be fining him a large chunk of change.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Andre never liked Lester and unlike PG, it was very personal. Glad to see things haven't changed.

No, I don't like cry babies who sulk when things don't go right for them instead of putting in the extra effort to try and help their causes. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Andrewmitch, I think you have pegged Lester wrong.  If anything, he cares too much about his pitching and that sometimes causes him to over-react or to not be thinking after a ball is hit.  I do not at all think of him as a sulker.  Of course, I also had no idea what he needed to do to get out of that slump.  Nieves says he preaches throwing more with his hand and less with his arm, shoulder, legs, etc.  I thought Lester should have been throwing more breaking balls, but he did the opposite and is now #1 or #2 on the team.  Against the Yankees he was the best among Lackey, Doubront, Peavy, and himself last weekend--and in fact went 8 innings. 

Most everyone thought the Sox picking up his option was a no-brainer.  He is healthy and has not lost his pitching strength (fastball).  He has been very good in the past and this year was the opening day starter, so Farrell believed in him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I can focus on his mechanics.  He needs to FOLLOW THROUGH....Not following through is a sign of being lazy which is equated to not caring...When he follows-through he is great - he has  zip and movement....Watch for yourselves....

But.....I was simply talking about backing up bases...Why does Lester feel he is exempt from this duty?  He should be fined into compliance.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah wow I really don't get it huh.  Teams can't just get away with indiscriminately fining players left and right for whatever reasons they want.

Secondly, if we are talking about fining a player for "mental lapses" then why compare it to a player putting a bunt down? That's a mental lapse of judgment and not a hitter not having the hand to eye coordination and/orpitch recognition to make efficient contact to lay down a bunt?

You made physical plays of the game comparable to fines....not me.  I don't even believe that though you do....I was just making fun of you. 

I think you have some kind of hatred for Jon Lester that makes you biased towards him.  Oh well!!!! Better get used to having him around one more year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Andre never liked Lester and unlike PG, it was very personal. Glad to see things haven't changed.

No, I don't like cry babies who sulk when things don't go right for them instead of putting in the extra effort to try and help their causes. 

It kind of sound like you are the cry baby here...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

JL is worth 13 mil in today's market...and that is an indictment on both

As always - 100% correct!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I think I'd trade Lackey while he's doing well.  Great comeback this year BUT if we can get more for him, why not?  I think Workman can step in and get the same number of wins.

Critter

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

I think I'd trade Lackey while he's doing well.  Great comeback this year BUT if we can get more for him, why not?  I think Workman can step in and get the same number of wins.

Critter

Lackey's minimum wage 2015 club option makes his value very very high.

I know the argument, "you can never have too much pitching" makes a lot of sense, and I don't have much confidence in Dempster next year, but if we can get a sweet return for Lackey, and maybe package that with a few of our own prospects to get a guy like Stanton, then I'd have to strongly consider it.

If Lackey goes, we'd have this for 2014:

1) Buch

2) Lester

3) Peavy

4) Doubront

5) Dempster

6) Morales/Workman/Britton/Wright/Webster/DLR/Ranaudo/Barnes

I have to think there's enough there to choose from to fill the void left by a starter's departure. There are at least 8 pitchers who could beat Dempster out of the 5 slot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's a one year prove it to me deal and reasonable money for a guy with Lester's capabilities (at worst #3 in your rotation).  I don't know if he's here long term after next year, but I'm betting Lester has a pretty good year fighting for his next contract. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Great. More "I'm King of the World" fantasy scenarios...

Not happening.

Ever.

Sections
Shortcuts