Sox Increase Interest in Matt Garza.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Sox Increase Interest in Matt Garza.

• A Major League source tells Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe the Red Sox's interest level in Garza is deepening (Twitter link). This comes in the wake of the news Clay Buchholz will seek a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews tomorrow. Manager John Farrell explained the purpose of the visit, as quoted by WEEI.com's Alex Speier on Twitter, is for "verification and clarification to get some peace of mind."

• The Cubs would prefer to deal Garza before his scheduled start tomorrow against Arizona, sources tell Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter).

Thoughts and or concerns? Myself personally I'd only be for it if it doesn't jepordise the future. I would probably be more inclined to give up some prospects that are in the lower minors and not considered top 10 prospects but maybe in the 15 - 10 range. I do consider Garza a top of the rotation type of pitcher even with the kind of year he is having. I would still consider him the 3rd best pitcher on this team behind Buccholz and Lackey, hell maybe even Doubront.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Sox Increase Interest in Matt Garza.

Issue is, Theo knows RS farm as good as current RS FO. So there will be no trade of boarderline prospects to Chicago.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Issue is, Theo knows RS farm as good as current RS FO. So there will be no trade of boarderline prospects to Chicago.

Not sure if this matters Jim, but don't the Cubbies owe us one for the Theo comp deal. If I remember correctly, that whole thing was sort of swept under the rug. And Garza at the time was beingmentioned...who knows, maybe Theo will throw us a bone.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

That cuts both ways.  It's possible for Theo to have gotten overly attached to a less successful prospect.  And there are no shortage of GMs that they think they are going to get over on the other GM, because they think they are the only one smart enough to turn around a failed prospect's career.

And sometimes they are right.  I always liked Moss, but it took him forever to finally get on track.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

garza would be a great fit for this team. he has experience/success in the AL east and has top of the rotation stuff. Also, he would not just be a rental, we have the money to extend him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

jake peavy

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Garza is fine by me so long as the majority of you stop acting like he is a saviour. He isn't. However our starting staff is in need of help.

Agree.  Considering the many injuries to the pitching staff they definitely could use another starter and more bullpen help.  We also don't know if Buchholz will be healthy for the remainder of the season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I bet the Trade starts with Middlebrooks, if there is a trade. Rangers were willing to give up a Olt, a Highly touted Single A Pitcher, and a good Pitching Prospect at Triple AAA, before deal fell through because of injury concern.
    Do you want to give up these kinds of Prospects? Garza is going to Free Agency, he'd be smart to do this.
    Tough call.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I bet the Trade starts with Middlebrooks, if there is a trade. Rangers were willing to give up a Olt, a Highly touted Single A Pitcher, and a good Pitching Prospect at Triple AAA, before deal fell through because of injury concern.
    Do you want to give up these kinds of Prospects? Garza is going to Free Agency, he'd be smart to do this.
    Tough call.

That would be a bad bet as Chicago has asked for pitching back in return and has shown interest in our pitchers.  If we try to throw WMB in there I'm sure we'd get less value from him there than in another trade if they don't want him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would definitely feel starting with WMB and perhaps Steven Wright should be sufficient--anything more than that is too much for 10 weeks. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

They exchange medical records, only reason deal fell through. Still might go through. Theo wants to up the ante, I would if I was him.
    Garza has a lights out game tonight, I'll take that bet. Cubs need a 3rd baseman in worse way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The sox are more interested in Peavy or Norris simply because they are controlled for at least another year. Cafardos sources are suspect. Now, if the price some how came down significantly on Garza since hes just a rental, i could see the sox being players in that game

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Agree, Peavy might be more on the radar. I think Astros will ask a lot also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If I'm Theo I want the deal done today before there's another chance he get's dinged up and it goes beyond the trade deadline. If I'm Ben I would go up to 1 minute before gametime to try to make the best deal for the Sox. Then have him available to pitch the third or fourth game against the Rays.

I suppose Theo could accept WMB and a player to be named based on whether the Sox are able to sign Garza to an extension in the next 72 hours ---perhaps Wright, Ranaudo or Barnes. If they can't extend him a top 20 prospect in the 15-20 prospect range plus WMB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No the Cubs don't need a 3Bman.  Maybe if they were in a playoff run but they aren't.  They have Sterling Castro at SS who they really like and is a young talented star and TOP prospect Javier Baez will either push Castro to 3B or it is very likely Baez will move to 3rd.

If you are unfamiliar with Javier Baez he was rated the 16th best prospect in baseball and Chicago thinks he will be ready to take over by or before 2015.  Christian Villanueva is another top prospect who plays 3B in Chicagos system.  They want to build up their pitching...Chicago has asked for 2 of our top 4 pitching prospects.  WMB is not going to Chicago.  I'll bet on that.  That would be like us trading for a 3B right now.  Which may make sense for some to get a rental there....but if we were not in a pennant race that would just be the most stupid move we could make with Bogaerts and Cecchini in the wings.

Think of it that way.  If the Sox were in last place and still had Cecchini and Bogaerts down on the farm....why would we try to trade away a starting pitcher for a 3Bman.  How does that make sense?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The sox are more interested in Peavy or Norris simply because they are controlled for at least another year. Cafardos sources are suspect. Now, if the price some how came down significantly on Garza since hes just a rental, i could see the sox being players in that game

I'd love me some Peavy.  I think he would come cheaper than any other ace out there.  This is mostly due to the fact that Peavy is pretty much a 50% ace as in he is out there pitching 50% of the time.  But maybe between him and Buccholz we can have at least one guy to anchor down the rotation in the playoffs and with any luck..both.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Garza or Bud Norris but I think the cost is just going to be too much.  IMO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Ranaudo and Barnes should be off-limits. Barnes just Pitched a great game over weekend. 7 innings, 3 hits 10K's, 0 runs. He said he's been working on his secondary Pitches all year, that why the ups and downs.

Just read new Team is not allowed a qualifying offer to Garza. Does that automatically make him Free Agent at end of year?

That kid who the Rangers were going to give up at Single A, (Edwards), just pitched a 1 hitter. He has some amazing stats. He's Pitched 4, 1 hitters this season. Different innings Pitched but, that amazing. No wonder Theo wants to include him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Ranaudo and Barnes should be off-limits. Barnes just Pitched a great game over weekend. 7 innings, 3 hits 10K's, 0 runs. He said he's been working on his secondary Pitches all year, that why the ups and downs.

Just read new Team is not allowed a qualifying offer to Garza. Does that automatically make him Free Agent at end of year?

That kid who the Rangers were going to give up at Single A, (Edwards), just pitched a 1 hitter. He has some amazing stats. He's Pitched 4, 1 hitters this season. Different innings Pitched but, that amazing. No wonder Theo wants to include him.

They're going to ask for 2 out of Barnes/RDLR/Webster/Ranaudo/Owens.  Otherwise they will get something better from the Rangers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And thats why, IMO,  they wont do it. IF they decided to give up something close to that kind of haul, its going to be for someone under control for at least another year or 2. No rentals will get that kind of haul from the Sox. IMHO, it wont happen.

The deal is equal to one of Middy/Brentz, along with Henry Owens and edit: Anthony Ranaudo/Matt Barnes.

Personally, I dont think thats worth Garza for a couple months.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

And thats why, IMO,  they wont do it. IF they decided to give up something close to that kind of haul, its going to be for someone under control for at least another year or 2. No rentals will get that kind of haul from the Sox. IMHO, it wont happen.

The deal is equal to one of Middy/Brentz, along with Henry Owens and Anthony Ranaudo

Personally, I dont think thats worth Garza for a couple months.

I don't think they would either; If Garza was cost controlled that would be a fair deal.  Garza however, is a rental. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo does know our system, but that might also mean he likes some player we do not consider top 10 or 15. One never knows.

My guess is Theo can and will get somebody's top 5 prospect or two top 15 prospects. I doubt it is from us, if the price gets that high.

There is the question of an extension, which would change everything.

I like Garza, but would not give much more than Britton or Workman plus another mid level prospect. That will not be enough. If an extension could be agreed upon, I'd maybe give Barnes, Coyle and de la Cruz.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Theo does know our system, but that might also mean he likes some player we do not consider top 10 or 15. One never knows.

My guess is Theo can and will get somebody's top 5 prospect or two top 15 prospects. I doubt it is from us, if the price gets that high.

There is the question of an extension, which would change everything.

I like Garza, but would not give much more than Britton or Workman plus another mid level prospect. That will not be enough. If an extension could be agreed upon, I'd maybe give Barnes, Coyle and de la Cruz.

Sox4ever

Kinda reiterating your point here but to I think that THeo knowing our system might even benefit us as well.  There could be some prospects in our system that Theo was in love with that we may have a better idea that we are selling high on them, or just don't really have a place for them in our system.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130722&content_id=54362964&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

looks like he's going to the Rangers...sigh