Sox interested in Gavin Floyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd

Floyd is too good a pitcher and his price will be too high. I'd love to have  him but it's not in the cards.

The next pitcher the Sox get will probably be someone we have never heard of--someone that will be a sleeper pick up flying totally under the radar that BenC scouted five years ago in the Venezuelan Winter League.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Floyd is much better than his general perception, but not in the same league as Cain, who is a free agent at the end of the year.  I think we're better off waiting to see what we have in Bard & Aceves as starters.  It wouldn't be a total shock to see Beckett, Lester, Buchholz and Bard as the strongest top 4 in baseball.  If we need help mid-season, Floyd will most likely still be available, but so might guys like Cain and Greinke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I am watching the hockey and football games and getting some input on baseball. I would stick to the game plan of getting youth for long term reason. His stats is at 50% win loss level, low Home runs could change in Fenway park.

Lester Bucholtz Floyd Beckett Bard would be a good start and once Dice K is back and ready. The Red Sox mngt. will have good perspective where Bard stands as a starter. If Dice K can come back from the rehab and be promising then this will be a bonus for the rotation. The reason I would put Beckett on the 4th rotation is he just is not the same as before, will he be content staying in Red Sox uniform ?

But giving good propects will defeat the purpose of the Red Sox plan.

I have 100 % trust in our hitting , d fense looks good but some more serious tweaking with pitching is a must.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Who is Cherington going to offer ?    Lars Anderson ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gentle Ben says it's unlikely that he'll make any changes to the roster before ST.

Could be a smoke screen to drive down the cost.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But giving good propects will defeat the purpose of the Red Sox plan.

I think it's more about keeping key prospects.  Not even the best ones necessarily, but the ones we expect to start for us.  Lars and Bowden have minimal roles..Middlebrooks you'd need to be a real scout to see if the 4/1 K/W is fixable, but even if we were wrong on him, he's one of our 3 3Bs.  I don't think we're risking a lot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, joe, and personally, I like Cecchini and Bogaerts better than Middlebrooks.

Then we have some other prospects that could possibly end up playing 3B: 

Coyle, Tejada, Vitek, Vinicio, Meneses, and Renfroe.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I know he's a good pitcher, but he's not a great pitcher, he wouldn't be the ace here, and he's only under team control for 2 years, plus he's going to require more than $8 million a season.  Then on top of that he's going to require multiple prospects.  Not worth it in my mind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

I insist. . We have enough pitching by now for a #5 starter as well as depth. We will have a couple of surprises from our own kids as well. Let's save prospects for the July deadline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

oswalt is a better option, vetran pitcher and you wont hav to give up prospects,which we will need

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd:
    [QUOTE]I know he's a good pitcher, but he's not a great pitcher, he wouldn't be the ace here, and he's only under team control for 2 years, plus he's going to require more than $8 million a season.  Then on top of that he's going to require multiple prospects.  Not worth it in my mind.
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

If Floyd was a FA this year, he'd probably get close to $50M/4 maybe more. 

$8M this year and a $9.5M club option next year is a bargain to us, but a burden to the White Sox. 

He's a much better and sure bet (health-wise) than Oswalt who might cost $7-8M as well. 

Yes, it comes down to the prospects, but I think Middlebrooks is over-rated. We have many choices to replace Youk at 3B in 2014:
      Cecchini, Bogaerts, Coyle, Tejada, and Vitek

Sections
Shortcuts