Sox just made Rays Sellers?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sox just made Rays Sellers?!

Last night was the knoc-kout punch for Rays? Are they demoralized? Will they be salary dumping now?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Sox just made Rays Sellers?!

They don't have much salary to dump.  They have a lot of head-to-head games left with the Sox & Yanks, and a terrific rotation.  I think they're in it to win it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Too soon for that.

If the Yanks knock them around while we're beating up Baltimore they will become more desperate.

Besides, they pretty much cleaned out their closet last off season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Uptun has been on the market for a while, but that seems to me to be a long term decision, not a salary dump.
    I would also move Shields while they could sell high...they have a ton of power arms coming and I think Shields has been pitching over his head first half of this year.
    Not a lot left to dump....I think they like Damon, even back next year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

If Manny didn't mess-up again this past off-season, I wonder where they'd be in the standings. I wonder if that would have changed the result of last night's game (/this morning's game).  Maybe for better, maybe for worse,  for them- we'll never know. 

How about relocating the Rays?  The 'Atlanta Rays' has a nice ring to it. Until then, they won't be in the same realm as the Red Sox or Yankees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

The Rays are a great young team, and realistically even if they do fold and fall out of contention, I don't see them giving away any of their pieces.

If anything they will be playing the role of spoilers down the stretch.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sox just made Rays Sellers?!:
    [QUOTE]The Rays are not "a great young team". Farnsworth, Upton, Shields and Damon will be shopped for budget cuts and younger and cheaper 4 plus CBA budget control.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

What do you base this on?

The Rays had stockpiled their farm system by draft and trade even before their record draft this year. Every minor league rating service has TB near the top. Matt Moore and Desmond Jennings are two of the best ML prospects in baseball. There are several other highly rated prospects, including Lee, Guyer, Sale, Torres, Colome, Archer and more.

The ML roster is loaded with great young talent who are mostly locked up for many years, some at unbelievable low costs.

Alex Cobb (23) 5 years of team control & arb.
    Hellickson (24) 5 years of team control & arb.
    Price (25) 11: $2.18M, 12: $2.43M and 3 arb years
    Longoria (25) 11: $2.5M, 12: $4.5M, 13: $6M, 14: $3M option
    W. Davis (25) 11:$1M, 12:$1.5M, 13:$2.8M, 14:$4.8M, 15:$7M club option, 16:$8M club option, 17:$10M club option ($2.5M buyout)
    Joyce (26) 11: $0.426M then 4 arb years.
    Upton (26) 11: $4.825M and 1 arb year.

They have some other decent young talent on the ML roster who play or may soon play valuable roles:
    Jaso (27) 5 years of team control and arb.
    Rodriguez (26) 5 years...
    Brignac (25) 5 years...
    Sonnanstine (28) 11: $0.9M and 2 years of arb
    Howell (28) $1.1M and 1 arb year
    Russell (28) 5 years...
    Ramos (27) 5 years...
    Gomes (26) 5 years...
    McGee (24) 5 years...

Then there are these guys with plenty of "prime" left:
    Shields (29) 11:$4.25M, 12:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout),14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
    Nieman (28) 11: $0.9M and 3 arb years
    Zobrist (30) 11:$4.5M, 12:$4.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7M club option ($2.5M buyout), 15:$7.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The Rays are on a pace for 86 wins, considering they're age I'd consider that pretty great. I predict that team won't disappear in the coming years, but they won't be in the playoff picture this one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

86 wins in the AL East. Best minor league talent in baseball as well. Will be a thorn in the Sox side this year and years to come. Feldman/Maddon right there with Theo/Francona imo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I sure hope not.  I loved the Sox winning two of three despite facing some pretty darn good starters (Niemann was terrific Sunday night), but think the Rays success is good for MLB.  Too bad it doesn't help with attendance.