Sox lineup, Major's Best???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Sox lineup, Major's Best???

from MLB.com...........http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120214&content_id=26686804&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???

shhhh, don't tell anyone ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???:
    [QUOTE]shhhh, don't tell anyone ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]SealedSealed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The lineup wasn't the problem last year; it was all about the pitching. I've been a Sox fan for going on 60 years and it ALWAYS seems to be about the pitching!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The lineup wasn't the problem last year; it was all about the pitching. I've been a Sox fan for going on 60 years and it ALWAYS seems to be about the pitching!
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

So true jid.  So true.  But, in the interest of full baseball disclosure, with the exception of the 60s Dodgers and and the 2010 Giants, its ALWAYS about the pitching for EVERYONE.  You can be the Sultans of Swat on Steroids and still lose if you don't have good pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

2 biggest factors as I see it are 1.  Health of Youk.  If Youk stays off the DL and plays 150 games, it provides the balance and depth needed. 
    2. Resurgence of Crawford.  If he gets the average back above .285, that puts a lot of additional pressure on opposing pitchers. 

Obviously over all health is always a wild card, but provided relative health, if those 2 things occur, this line-up will be ferocious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If Sox get any production at the bottom 1/3 of the order...this is a scary team...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]The lineup wasn't the problem last year; it was all about the pitching. I've been a Sox fan for going on 60 years and it ALWAYS seems to be about the pitching!
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]
      Amen brother?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Last year, Dunn signed an atrocious four-year, $50 million contract. In his first year he had one of the worst seasons in baseball history.

He posted a .159 batting average, and struck out a White Sox record, 177 times. His .159 batting average would have been the worst recorded in major league baseball since 1909 when Bill Bergen hit .139. However, Dunn fell six plate appearances shy of the required 506 plate appearances in order to qualify for the batting title, meaning he’d be left out of the record book.

This is all to point out the fact that Dunn made $12.5 million last year, and he’ll again make $12.5 million this year. It’s insane to expect that Ortiz would willingly accept an offer of $12.65 million knowing the contract Dunn received and his lack of production.

Considering the predicament the White Sox have placed themselves in, the Red Sox should feel fortunate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???": If the season ended September 1st, then you would be correct. We needed more production from Ortiz, and a few others and never got it.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Overall offense in the month of Sept. was still among the very best in the league.  Every offense needs guys to step up while others struggle at different times of the year.  Yes, ortiz struggled down the stretch.  But there were enough guys mashing in September.  I think it is unfair to say put it on the O.  The pitching was so horrendous that month that it would have taken a rare blessed intervention from the mighty Jobu himself and a steroid festival for any offense to overcome that.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Not surprising at all....any reasonable person would assume the Sox' 2012 offense will be in the top 1-4.  It's blindingly obvious.  I'd bet heavily they'd be in the top 4 run scoring teams, and 1st is a good bet. [queue the weirdo small "sample" survey obsessives with their rants about 30-day medians.....]

The sundry morons, psychopaths, trolls and Chicken Littles around here will undoubtedly pleasure themselves by twisting and turning to find a way to excite themselves in a futile attempt to refute this...and I'm happy to leave them to it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox are definitely in top elite hitting teams, however, that has never been the question or the reason that they finished 3rd twice in a row, and have not done anything in the playoffs since winning it all in 2007.  Pitching, pitching, and pitching are what wins and the Sox have had issues there mainly because of injuries rather than a lack of talent.  Given an injury free (wishful thinking) the Sox are going to be right there all year long and hopefully headed to another WS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Yup, the offense shouldn't be a problem.  I think given what got last year out of the #4 and 5 spots, our pitching will be better this year.   As always, it will come down to health.  I'd still like to see a solid #4 added.....

Can't wait for the season to start!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : smooth jeet got to give you credit for posting the 2 links about how the sox weren't in the top 10 and disguising it as a thread about their hitting After ranking the top 10 rotations on Monday and the top 10 bullpens on Tuesday, we progress now to the big bats.
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Yup Zac, that Jete is always making those backhanded posts acting like he's complimenting the Sox when he's really putting them down.   He should learn to be more like you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Our offense is awesome when on...but we have a bit of trouble manufacturing runs....we scored in bunches last year and had many games in double digits...but it always comes down to pitching...

but the best in MLB???   ss/rf are big ??????    youk/crawford too...but we always score no matter what....but can our pitchers pitch?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Our offense is awesome when on...but we have a bit of trouble manufacturing runs....we scored in bunches last year and had many games in double digits...but it always comes down to pitching... but the best in MLB???   ss/rf are big ??????    youk/crawford too...but we always score no matter what....but can our pitchers pitch?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Analyses have been done, ad nauseum, on the Sox' 2011 (MLB leading) run total.  The small ballists (heh heh) and general nay-saying community make a big deal out of a tiny sample survey over a few months claiming the Sox' offense was inconsistent.  Look south with a magnifying glass, my friends, look south!

2011?  I'm more than satisfied with being nbr 1 in OPS and runs scored. 2012?  1,000 runs should be the target.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Sox lineup, Major's Best???": [QUOTE]from MLB.com........... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120214&content_id=26686804&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE] Jete? Stop trying to jinx us!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

Amen to that brother!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? :   Amen brother?
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dan...
      Didn't mean to poach ...saw yours after I posted...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Looking at the Rangers, Angels, Yankees, Tigers and Rays - I'd say the Sox are at best in the middle of the pack. I'll hope for the best but expect something less than that.

Sections
Shortcuts