Sox lineup, Major's Best???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???

The major's best  ?    That was (supposedly) the 2011 team.     Nothing has been added to make the 2012 Sox any better unless the scrap heap types suddenly have career years and every player is injury free throughout the entire season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : You've always understood Zac, and applauded his direction? lol Would that be his direction to all Sox forums to go after Sox fans who say things about the Yankees on their own forums? You are listed as coming here in January and have 54 posts. I sense a Truefan poster, and probably one that has been banned here before. Not unlike your buddy Zac.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
                          "I sense"

If true that would show progress on your part.

"go after Sox fans"

Not what he is about.

Some of you crash on your own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Defense and starting pitching were the biggest problems last year. Now we've lost Aceves, Bard and Paplebon in the bullpen. We have a possible 3 and maybe Bard as starters. Hitting we've lost production at short, left and right field. We'll still score runs but ther are serious holes. Valentine is a big plus. All and all the Sox and Orioles will fight for last place! I think that we can beat them out because of Valentine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]could it be that RS fortunes rest on the season of Pineida (very poor 2nd half last year), Hughes(horrible last year) and Nova (one time wonder??) as well as Robertson proving last year was not a fluke, and Rivera not acting his age? other than Cano, does Gardner, Jeter, Granderson, Cano, Arod, Tex, Swisher, Martin, unknown DH scare anyone these days? Point being is the RS have a very, very good everyday lineup, and the pitching is just as good as anyone in the AL other than Tampa Given health, this is a 95-100 win team
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Interesting take karp. I would say that the Yankee line-up is easily the equal of the Sox line-up. Afterall, Tex said he will start bunting this year to force teams out of the shift.

Tongue out

FYI - Robertson is no one year fluke - just look at his career numbers. Always said he was better than Bard and he keeps proving it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Sorry Dan...   Didn't mean to poach ...saw yours after I posted...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]
       That's ok great minds think alike.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]shhhh, don't tell anyone ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

spacebro. I honestly believe that we were doomed when some knucklehead said that we were "the best team evah" last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : You've always understood Zac, and applauded his direction? lol Would that be his direction to all Sox forums to go after Sox fans who say things about the Yankees on their own forums? You are listed as coming here in January and have 54 posts. I sense a Truefan poster, and probably one that has been banned here before. Not unlike your buddy Zac.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

yeah kimmi, who is this postah that's tryin to steal my handle eh? there's only room for one hammer er, I mean Hammah in here right?Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : spacebro. I honestly believe that we were doomed when some knucklehead said that we were "the best team evah" last year.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

totally Hammah.  In fact, one of those knuckleheads was my pops, a man who I thought understood the humbling nature of baseball and that you really must play all 162, and a man who had suffered before I the great dashing of hopes that is birthright of all Sox fans.  I felt great forboding then, especially with the obviously sleepy spring training.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If only baseball were like Cross Country where they only count the top 5 finishers.  One little problem with the so called analysis:  They only mentioned 6 players, including Carl Crawford.  Last time I checked, there were 9 guys in the line up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Yup Zac, that Jete is always making those backhanded posts acting like he's complimenting the Sox when he's really putting them down.   He should learn to be more like you.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Jete's no good Kimmi - that's why you need to hang out with me more Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Jete's no good Kimmi - that's why you need to hang out with me more
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

LOL, I agree, Jete's no good.

I've been trying to get you to hang out with me on Wed. and Thurs. nights, from 8-9, but I haven't had any luck so far.

I'm just glad I haven't been abandoned.  Kiss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : LOL, I agree, Jete's no good. I've been trying to get you to hang out with me on Wed. and Thurs. nights, from 8-9, but I haven't had any luck so far. I'm just glad I haven't been abandoned. 
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]aww Kimmi that's cold..and after all i've done to help Theo reach genius status..Tongue out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : aww Kimmi that's cold..and after all i've done to help Theo reach genius status..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

You know I love ya, Jete. Smile

Can't wait for baseball to start!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? :                       "I sense"                               If true that would show progress on your part.                       "go after Sox fans"                       Not what he is about.                       Some of you crash on your own.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

It's everything that he's about. There just aren't many left that say anything negative about the Yankees for him to go after. He's probably had a hand in running any posters like that off the board while posters like you sit back and watch.

Btw, nice haiku post. lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : yeah kimmi, who is this postah that's tryin to steal my handle eh? there's only room for one hammer er, I mean Hammah in here right?
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Well, Jackbu, it is true that I was not laughing when I posted that.  But, to be sure, I am laughing into my pink hat now.  A. I posted no facts, just opinions, so it is funny that you take issue with my 'stupid facts' (particularly when you go on to make some kind of vague argument about payroll, when the debate was over Sox pitching vs. hitting in September).  But here are some stupid facts for you:  The team OPS in August was .804.  They went 17-12.  The team OPS,in Spetmeber, much to the dismay of the 'shut-it down' believers, was ... .804.  They went 7-20.  I won't go so far as to put a name to the underlying problem that created the record disparity between these two months.  But, I will give you a hint:  it had a 4.45 ERA in September and 3.49 ERA in August.  Not saying that certain hitters didn't lay an egg in Sept. (D.Ortiz), which contributed big time to the collapse.  Just saying it is just silly overstatement to say the offense was bad or that the 'heart of the order' shut it down (Gonzalez, swinging with a dead shoulder put up a .977 OPS for god's sake, Pedroia hit .304, and, while, depending on your semantic bent, the real heart of last year's order, Jacoby Ellsbury, was an absolute BEAST in September).  The offense was solid in September, though it certainly didn't get it done in the clutch situations it was being routinely put in by the horrendous pitching.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

While the subject of the September slide is painful, your post is true to the mark.  I don't see how "baseball fans" of any intelligence don't see the moments of batters cooling off as a natural part of the game.  Papi had a very good season with a place where he cooled off.  Your points about the others who remainded hot - or normal for them (Pedey) - are all part of why it's a team sport.  Marco's hot September seems to be lost in the argument that folks make about the team tanking as well.  It wasn't the offense.  It rarely is.  All the same, I know these same folks won't be happy about anything, really.  I am not satisfied when things go poorly, but seriously ...

A guy finishes a season that is stellar and all some can complain about is when he was in a slump.  Hmmm.

Bobby Fisher didn't win all his chess matches.  De bum.

Gen. Geo. Washington didn't win all his battles.  De bum.

Tiger Woods didn't win all his majors.  (Or else he would have more mistreses ...14 mistresses for 14 major...)   De bum.

Prez George H. W. Bush only broke one promise.  De bum.  (oh, it ws the only promsie he made ....)

I'm going too far afield.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Yes.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SysRq. Show SysRq's posts

Being realistic about the 2012 Red Sox, and based on what they've
    done to 'improve',
    compared to the Yanks, Rays, Angels, Tigers and Rangers they only are a 3rd place team in the AL East.  Period.  Can they make the playoffs?  Absolutely, but probably not.  Even with a no-injury year they aren't a match for the top five AL teams, let alone the top NL teams.  And that doesn't even consider the chicken and beer/new coach/spend like Ebeneezer Scrooge thing.  Too many questions, not enough answers.

Even Red Sox fans have to admit that the Sox' $180M 'patchwork special' is a wannabee team on the outside looking in.  Let's see if they care enough to ditch the slacker mode, grow a pair and play like they mean it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : While the subject of the September slide is painful, your post is true to the mark.  I don't see how "baseball fans" of any intelligence don't see the moments of batters cooling off as a natural part of the game.  Papi had a very good season with a place where he cooled off.  Your points about the others who remainded hot - or normal for them (Pedey) - are all part of why it's a team sport.  Marco's hot September seems to be lost in the argument that folks make about the team tanking as well.  It wasn't the offense.  It rarely is.  All the same, I know these same folks won't be happy about anything, really.  I am not satisfied when things go poorly, but seriously ... A guy finishes a season that is stellar and all some can complain about is when he was in a slump.  Hmmm. Bobby Fisher didn't win all his chess matches.  De bum. Gen. Geo. Washington didn't win all his battles.  De bum. Tiger Woods didn't win all his majors.  (Or else he would have more mistreses ...14 mistresses for 14 major...)   De bum. Prez George H. W. Bush only broke one promise.  De bum.  (oh, it ws the only promsie he made ....) I'm going too far afield.    
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Yaz,
    Not sure that last years September Collapse has any bering on this years team. Unless they allow it too.

That said, we all know that pitching, due to injuries was at the heart of why we fell short last year. Our offense was also compromised and you don't go 7 and 20 something for a month after playing over 600 ball for four months, without all three phases of the game playing a role (pitching, defense and timely hitting).

That was then...

Entering the 2012 season we have a very strong nucleaus and should be in the mix all year and much will depend on key performers having healthy and productive seasons.

Our lineup: Youk returing to form and staying on the field will by itself be a boon over the lineup we ran out there sans him from early July to the end of the season. With a healthy youk in the 4-hole. 1-6 I think we match up with any team...7-8-9 or rather SS, RF and catchers position is where we might struggle to matchup with the better lineups (Rangers, Yanks) in terms of depth, not sure I like our bench a ton either....

The Rotation:
    In the end, it's about getting the requist quality starts and innings from Lester, Beckett & Buccholz to help carry the load while they sort out the #4,#5 and #6 roles in the rotation with Bard, Miller, Doubront and the host of reclamation projects they've singed along with Matsusaka a wildcard in August. Cleary Bard's ability to make the transistion will go a long ways in taking the pressure off the #5/#6 guys and hopefully he can give us enough innings until Matsusaka ready to return...I'd feel a lot better had they bit the bullet and signed a veteran guy like Jackson/Oswalt.

Our bullpen: It goes without saying that Bailey, Aceves and Melancon along with Morales all have to step up to close out games. While they sort out the middle guys with Jenks the wildcard. All in all "on paper", I think our pen is solid. Not unlike all teams, you break camp with the best and then tweak it as the season progresses.

Front Office: Plan the work, work the plan. In years past the goal was to breakcamp with the best 25 guys. Then evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the team in April and May while formulating a plan to address areas of concern/underperformance. Then in June, July and into August. Make the moves nessesary to bolster the club if they're in a position to be a legit contender with the nulceaus of the team in good health...Last year I think they waited too long to make moves to address the pitching issues and this year I feel like they've missed an opportunity to add a proven arm to the team...time will tell if they're truly commited as an organization to compete in 2012 or are they simpy just playing out the string, hoping for the best with an eye on 2013...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The so-called experts at ESPN have made their predictions.    Same as last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The only teams to come within 90 runs of the Sox last year were the Yankees and Rangers, and I don't see any improvements in either lineup.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]The only teams to come within 90 runs of the Sox last year were the Yankees and Rangers, and I don't see any improvements in either lineup.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

The Sox had 875 the Yankees were just 8 runs behind at 867 without Arod for almost the entire season. Not to mention the Yankees had some of the lousiest numbers from the DH position in all of the AL. A healthy Arod would improve those numbers for sure.

The Rangers at 855, Detroit was also within 90 of Boston at 787. 

Sections
Shortcuts