Sox lineup, Major's Best???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???

In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???:
    [QUOTE]Looking at the Rangers, Angels, Yankees, Tigers and Rays - I'd say the Sox are at best in the middle of the pack. I'll hope for the best but expect something less than that.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

WO, What's it like going through life with such a negative perspective on everything?  Is is acutely sad every day, or do you generally not notice it?

Seriously, discounting the Rays (outscored in 2011 by the top scoring Red Sox by 168 runs) and Angels (208), even you have the Sox 4th.  Including those 2 - which isn't realistic - you have the Sox 6th, which isn't middle of the pack, it's the top 20%.

I'm very confident the Sox will again lead MLB in scoring, but see top 3 as virtually a given (only the Yanks and Rangers will be close).

Historically, given the huge upside potential in RF & LF, their 2011 total of 875 runs could easily increase to reach their top 5:

1950 - 1,027
    2003 - 961
    2004 - 949
    1996 - 928
    2005 - 910
    1948 - 907
    1938 - 902

But in the long run we're all dead, eh?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

could it be that RS fortunes rest on the season of Pineida (very poor 2nd half last year), Hughes(horrible last year) and Nova (one time wonder??) as well as Robertson proving last year was not a fluke, and Rivera not acting his age?
    other than Cano, does Gardner, Jeter, Granderson, Cano, Arod, Tex, Swisher, Martin, unknown DH scare anyone these days?
    Point being is the RS have a very, very good everyday lineup, and the pitching is just as good as anyone in the AL other than Tampa
    Given health, this is a 95-100 win team

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Sox lineup, Major's Best???:
    [QUOTE]from MLB.com........... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120214&content_id=26686804&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]It's very refreshing to see the little devil in you come out to play. At the present moment there is very little to get excited about this years Sox team. Way too many unknowns that will have to post positive for this team to find success. Stack that with improvements made by known contenders this offseason leaves me wondering where the Sox really fit in the overall picture.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]Not surprising at all....any reasonable person would assume the Sox' 2012 offense will be in the top 1-4.  It's blindingly obvious.  I'd bet heavily they'd be in the top 4 run scoring teams, and 1st is a good bet. [queue the weirdo small "sample" survey obsessives with their rants about 30-day medians.....] The sundry morons, psychopaths, trolls and Chicken Littles around here will undoubtedly pleasure themselves by twisting and turning to find a way to excite themselves in a futile attempt to refute this...and I'm happy to leave them to it.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

The red sox are going to score runs. They always score runs. Didn't they like llead the majors in hitting last september while losing 30 games? It pitching pitching and while we are at it... Pitching. Now that the two best players/hitters in the national league are in our league...... It's still about..... Pitching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Yup Zac, that Jete is always making those backhanded posts acting like he's complimenting the Sox when he's really putting them down.   He should learn to be more like you.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    Hi Kimmi...that will be day they'll be talking me down from the Verrazano..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : It's very refreshing to see the little devil in you come out to play. At the present moment there is very little to get excited about this years Sox team. Way too many unknowns that will have to post positive for this team to find success. Stack that with improvements made by known contenders this offseason leaves me wondering where the Sox really fit in the overall picture.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE] totally unintentional..leave it to Zac to shine a flashlight on someone else...Zac...put out your own fires!!!...LOL!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]The lineup wasn't the problem last year; it was all about the pitching. I've been a Sox fan for going on 60 years and it ALWAYS seems to be about the pitching!
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

This is very true but the author said "lineup".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE] Last year, Dunn signed an atrocious four-year, $50 million contract. In his first year he had one of the worst seasons in baseball history. He posted a .159 batting average, and struck out a White Sox record, 177 times. His .159 batting average would have been the worst recorded in major league baseball since 1909 when Bill Bergen hit .139. However, Dunn fell six plate appearances shy of the required 506 plate appearances in order to qualify for the batting title, meaning he’d be left out of the record book. This is all to point out the fact that Dunn made $12.5 million last year, and he’ll again make $12.5 million this year. It’s insane to expect that Ortiz would willingly accept an offer of $12.65 million knowing the contract Dunn received and his lack of production. Considering the predicament the White Sox have placed themselves in, the Red Sox should feel fortunate.
    Posted by FortMeade[/QUOTE]
    Fort,
    You are looking at it incorrectly. Comparing Ortiz to Dunn is MAKING the Sox argument on Ortiz worth.

The 5 years prior to signing his contract, Dunn OPS;
    2010-.892
    2009-.928
    2008-.898
    2007-.940
    2006-.855

The 5 years prior to Ortiz signing his contract, OPS;
    2011-.953
    2010-.899
    2009-.794
    2008-.877
    2007-1.066

Both players atrocious in the field. Both players atrocious on the base paths. Very, very similar offensive production.
    Ortiz is 4 years OLDER 
    Sox can point out that Ortiz best years came in an era of potential steroid use (not that they would, but they could)
    Seems to me, given the fall off the cliff numbers Dunn put up, and that Ortiz is 4 years older, the potential for Ortiz to fall off a cliff is very real. I would think Dunn, before this year, when he signed his contract, would have been an excellent player to comp for Ortiz if I was the Sox

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : totally unintentional..leave it to Zac to shine a flashlight on someone else...Zac...put out your own fires!!!...LOL!!!
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]Hi Jete,
                                                   Unintentional or not it was good. As for Zac it's more of a case of people not getting him. I've always understood Zac and applauded his direction. BTW, Rangers look like last years Bruins. Congrats to your Giants. They are starting to pi_ss me off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Isn't the OP about the Red Sox lineup? Why not discuss what was in the linked story?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : I am not sure how you can post this and not be laughing at the same time.  I really don't care about what the rest of the league did and it is stupid fun facts like yours which sell lots of pink hats. Other teams don't have the payroll that the sox have.  We all know the rays have half the payroll and I am sure Baltimore, the team who really stuck it to the sox, have a small payroll as well. The bottom line is that the meat of the order and the highest paid hitters shut down in sept.  If Valentine can prevent another epic collapse and another slow start, then the sox are sure to see post season play.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

The Thread is not about relative payrolls. It was about comparing offensive lineups.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : I am not sure how you can post this and not be laughing at the same time.  I really don't care about what the rest of the league did and it is stupid fun facts like yours which sell lots of pink hats. Other teams don't have the payroll that the sox have.  We all know the rays have half the payroll and I am sure Baltimore, the team who really stuck it to the sox, have a small payroll as well. The bottom line is that the meat of the order and the highest paid hitters shut down in sept.  If Valentine can prevent another epic collapse and another slow start, then the sox are sure to see post season play.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Well, Jackbu, it is true that I was not laughing when I posted that.  But, to be sure, I am laughing into my pink hat now.  A. I posted no facts, just opinions, so it is funny that you take issue with my 'stupid facts' (particularly when you go on to make some kind of vague argument about payroll, when the debate was over Sox pitching vs. hitting in September).  But here are some stupid facts for you:  The team OPS in August was .804.  They went 17-12.  The team OPS,in Spetmeber, much to the dismay of the 'shut-it down' believers, was ... .804.  They went 7-20.  I won't go so far as to put a name to the underlying problem that created the record disparity between these two months.  But, I will give you a hint:  it had a 4.45 ERA in September and 3.49 ERA in August.  Not saying that certain hitters didn't lay an egg in Sept. (D.Ortiz), which contributed big time to the collapse.  Just saying it is just silly overstatement to say the offense was bad or that the 'heart of the order' shut it down (Gonzalez, swinging with a dead shoulder put up a .977 OPS for god's sake, Pedroia hit .304, and, while, depending on your semantic bent, the real heart of last year's order, Jacoby Ellsbury, was an absolute BEAST in September).  The offense was solid in September, though it certainly didn't get it done in the clutch situations it was being routinely put in by the horrendous pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

1-6 maybe and that depends on Youk playing more than 120 games, Papi not getting old, and Crawford coming back to be the player we all thought he was.  But there is a hole at C, RF and SS. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The lineup wasn't the problem last year; it was all about the pitching. I've been a Sox fan for going on 60 years and it ALWAYS seems to be about the pitching!
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

Agree that if the pitching improves this year and the starters remain healthy and all have good seasons, we should end up at least 2nd in the AL East. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]1-6 maybe and that depends on Youk playing more than 120 games, Papi not getting old, and Crawford coming back to be the player we all thought he was.  But there is a hole at C, RF and SS. 
    Posted by lardin[/QUOTE]

Maybe.  Salty is a big question mark.  He scuffled early and late last year, but really found his storke over the summer.  I am very curious to see, now that he has experienced some sustained success at the plate, if he can maintain that over the course of a whole year.  I am not totally confident that he can, but I am also not writing him off as a hole in the line-up yet.

RF will be far from a hole with what could be a really fine platoon of Ross and Sweeney.  One mashes lefties but can't touch righties, the other vice versa.  

As far as SS, I think if Iggy makes the cut, it will be a black hole in the line-up, yes, but, in theory, his glove might make up for his Mendoza.  However, if Aviles gets the nod, I really think he will tear it up with an everyday job. he's got a really good stick and many are sleeping on him.  I think he would likely be on par with what Scutaro would have produced.

Not saying that you don't have valid concerns.  There is iffiness in the bottom 3rd.  But, I don't think it is as much as some are making it out to be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Hitting has never been the issue. Pitching, pitching, pitching

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]1-6 maybe and that depends on Youk playing more than 120 games, Papi not getting old, and Crawford coming back to be the player we all thought he was.  But there is a hole at C, RF and SS. 
    Posted by lardin[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that having all-star quality players at 1B, 2B, 3B, CF, DH and hopefully LF isn't good enough and we should have all stars at all the positions?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brown615. Show Brown615's posts

I'm sorry, I did not read all these entries. I'm soooo glad Spring Training is here this weekend!  My friends all laugh at me because I start a countdown to SP once the Sox are out of the race each year. I follow other sports, but baseball is the ultimate!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Hi Jete,                                                Unintentional or not it was good. As for Zac it's more of a case of people not getting him. I've always understood Zac and applauded his direction. BTW, Rangers look like last years Bruins. Congrats to your Giants. They are starting to pi_ss me off.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

You've always understood Zac, and applauded his direction? lol Would that be his direction to all Sox forums to go after Sox fans who say things about the Yankees on their own forums?

You are listed as coming here in January and have 54 posts. I sense a Truefan poster, and probably one that has been banned here before. Not unlike your buddy Zac.

Sections
Shortcuts