Sox lineup, Major's Best???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???

Seasonal OPS:

Jeter by Age:
    22     23   24   25    26   27  28    29    30     31   32    33   34   35  36   37              
                            .896                                        .900
                 .864             .858       .844 .823 .839        .840       .871
    .800 .775                           .794                                         .771
                                                                                          .710 .743

ARod by Age:
    20     21      22    23   24      25     26      27  28   29    30  31    32   33   34   35

1.045                      1.026 1.021 1.015             1.031     1.067
                     .919 .943                             .995                .914      .965 .933
            .846                                                      .888                                      .847 
                                                                                                                                 .823

Has Tiexiera peaked early?
     23   24   25    26   27    28   29    30   31        

.929 .954      .963 .962 948
                                                           .846 .835

He could certainly rebound. But...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" The lineup wasn't the problem last year; it was all about the pitching."

I'm surprised to frequently see this sentiment expressed here. Then it's back up by statts as if anyone who thinks the offense had some issues is a moron. 

Here's something some of us believe about sports: it's about how you are in the finish, it's about how you are in the clutch. During the last five games, which were, ummm, kind of important as I recall, the Sox scored more than three runs only once. And most of those games were against the Orioles, not the most dominating team. 

You know what, i don't need stats, I remember lots of whiffs in critical situations. I remember dreading the bottom of the lineup where we had absolutely no punch. 

Yes, the pitching is the big thing. But to let the offense off the hook just because they pad a fantasy stat sheet, I sorry, i don't buy it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from friendlygolden. Show friendlygolden's posts

As a longtime baseball and Sox fan, the scariest thing about this lineup is the payroll.   At this rate, I won't be able to afford a hot dog...let alone a ticket.

The Sox are not even close to the Texas Rangers....can we spell PITCHING!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best???:
    As a longtime baseball and Sox fan, the scariest thing about this lineup is the payroll.   At this rate, I won't be able to afford a hot dog...let alone a ticket. The Sox are not even close to the Texas Rangers....can we spell PITCHING!
    Posted by friendlygolden

I wouldn't be so sure about the Ranger's pitching continuing on and on. Some of those guys have not had long track records of success. (Not that some of ours have either)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

As a longtime baseball and Sox fan, the scariest thing about this lineup is the payroll.   At this rate, I won't be able to afford a hot dog...let alone a ticket. The Sox are not even close to the Texas Rangers....can we spell PITCHING!
    Posted by friendlygolden

Why?  Yu Darvish, while certainly looking like the real deal, is a totally unknown quantity.  Colby Lewis is reliable, but hardly a top pitcher.  Holland is indeed a stud, but, young (does he improve this summer? does he take a step back?).  Matt Harrison:  decent, but not putting the fear of god in anyone.  And, then there is Daniel Bard, er, Neftali Feliz.  Like Bard, hard to guarantee that his excellent relief work immediately transates into quality starter.  That is a solid 1-4 (maybe 5), something that the Sox don't have right now, so it seems like a little slice of pitching heaven from this side of the fence.  But that is hardly the 2010 Giants rotation.

The Rangers are going to be formidable this year.  No doubt.  But, that staff is not without its question marks.  Great potential, but question marks.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of the usual Sox doom and gloom this off-season, from fans and press, is:  not only seeing the Sox as horrible, but also seeing other teams as having gotten soooooooo much better because of a splashy move or two.  No doubt the A.L. is going to be incredibly competitive this year.  But, I don't think anyone, not the Tigers, not the Rangers, not the Angels, separated themselves from the inevitable fray with their off-season moves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Overpaid team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Overpaid team.
    Posted by bluefox70

Insightful

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Sox lineup, Major's Best??? : Why?  Yu Darvish, while certainly looking like the real deal, is a totally unknown quantity.  Colby Lewis is reliable, but hardly a top pitcher.  Holland is indeed a stud, but, young (does he improve this summer? does he take a step back?).  Matt Harrison:  decent, but not putting the fear of god in anyone.  And, then there is Daniel Bard, er, Neftali Feliz.  Like Bard, hard to guarantee that his excellent relief work immediately transates into quality starter.  That is a solid 1-4 (maybe 5), something that the Sox don't have right now, so it seems like a little slice of pitching heaven from this side of the fence.  But that is hardly the 2010 Giants rotation. The Rangers are going to be formidable this year.  No doubt.  But, that staff is not without its question marks.  Great potential, but question marks. I think one of the most interesting aspects of the usual Sox doom and gloom this off-season, from fans and press, is:  not only seeing the Sox as horrible, but also seeing other teams as having gotten soooooooo much better because of a splashy move or two.  No doubt the A.L. is going to be incredibly competitive this year.  But, I don't think anyone, not the Tigers, not the Rangers, not the Angels, separated themselves from the inevitable fray with their off-season moves.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    Totally agree.

Sections
Shortcuts