Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Nothing against Gomes and Ross , but they really are not more than average ball players. This will not improve the team.  The only real star out there is Hamilton. The risks with him are obvious. Do you want to roll the dice ? High risk , high reward.  No guts , no glory. 

At the moment Hamilton will be great option if the Sox plan is to spend on one individual and go from there. If the Cherington is to spend then this will be the start. But Hamilton and Papi sre both left hand batters, so they will not be following one another in the batting order. Hamilton 3rd and Papi 5th who kmows.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Gomes will get between 2-4M per

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Perhaps signing Swisher for 1 B and an occasional stint in the OF might go nicely with Gomes and Ross on either side of Ells. It is coming together Southie.

Ells, Pedroia, Swisher,Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Salty, Ross, Gomes, Ciriaco.

Not bad. Let's start getting the pitching in place. Haren and Jackson would be my targets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! It's come to Johnny Gomes?

Are you kidding me? The guy is a butcher in the OF.

Hey Ben, ever hear of TRADES???? Go out and get a couple of real

OF under 30.

What a pathetic off season so far. We're rumored with every FA over 35, after signing our FA who is ancient.

Ben waiting outside the geriatric ward trying to sign over the hill players on the cheap. I think Red Sox fans deserve better than this dumpster diving to show how fiscally rstrained they now are.

As for Hamilton, sign him for two of three years, for big money. Nobody in their right minds is going to offer 6-8 years for him, so why not outbid everyone for a short term signing?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

Was just reported on rotoworld. They said both are being offered two yr deals and they expect a deal to be done by early next week.

Gomes batting avg. agst. div. pitchers starters last season

Balt. Avg .263 OBP .417 SLG .474

Yanks Avg. .286 OBP .500 SLG.500

Jays Avg .323 OBP.462 SLG .548

new acguire jays pitchers Buehrle Avg. .462  OBP.500 SLG .692

Johnson Avg. .250 .250 .290

Rays Avg. .368 OBP .478 SLG .789

Overall in the league Avg. .262 OBP.377 SLG .491

By the above stats he can be a useful off the bench player/ or the starting line up with the east rival teams. i think he is worth the shot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Perhaps signing Swisher for 1 B and an occasional stint in the OF might go nicely with Gomes and Ross on either side of Ells. It is coming together Southie.

Ells, Pedroia, Swisher,Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Salty, Ross, Gomes, Ciriaco.

Not bad. Let's start getting the pitching in place. Haren and Jackson would be my targets.

I think a trade will happen real soon. 5 catchers on the 40-man and now Gomes needs a spot after he passes a physical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

OF under 30.

What a pathetic off season so far. We're rumored with every FA over 35, after signing our FA who is ancient.

Ben waiting outside the geriatric ward trying to sign over the hill players on the cheap. I think Red Sox fans deserve better than this dumpster diving to show how fiscally rstrained they now are.

As for Hamilton, sign him for two of three years, for big money. Nobody in their right minds is going to offer 6-8 years for him, so why not outbid everyone for a short term signing?

He just turned 32 and murders LHP. He will be a platoon player for 2-4M per, and by all reports, a great clubhouse presence.

hamilton will not sign for that unless the market drys up on his asking price. That wouldnt be til late Dec/Jan probably. Most FA wont sign early until the market is set.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

OF under 30.

May as well take the gamble on Hamilton for like you said 3 yrs.

These rumours are frustrating for baseball fans. My crystal broke last night so I have no idea what is happening in the rumour mill. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

OF under 30.

These rumours are frustrating for baseball fans. My crystal broke last night so I have no idea what is happening in the rumour mill. LOL

I think Hamilton will wait and see if he can get 5+ years. if not, we have a better shot than most to get him on a 3 year deal with the $$ we have available. But Im guessing that wont happen for a few weeks.

When BJ Upton and Bourne sign, thats when the market will be set for OF'ers and guys like Ludwick, Victorino and Ross will sign shortly thereafter...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

and this makes us a better team how?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to boborielly224's comment:

OF under 30.

I think Hamilton will wait and see if he can get 5+ years. if not, we have a better shot than most to get him on a 3 year deal with the $$ we have available. But Im guessing that wont happen for a few weeks.

When BJ Upton and Bourne sign, thats when the market will be set for OF'ers and guys like Ludwick, Victorino and Ross will sign shortly thereafter...

paw, if Hamlilton only gets 3 years, chances are better than not, he'll stay in Texas. Don't think the money was the issue, just the years. Hamilton said he didn't feel he owed it to the Rangers to give them a home town discount, which is debatable

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I was hoping for either  Gomes or Hairston at less then half of what Cody Ross would cost. Clubhouse guy, takes pitches, and awsome pull power who mashhes lefties. Sux on defense though. Oh well.

For those whining that David Ross and Gomes are role playing backups.....TRUE. So what. A team needs those kinds of quality backups. Patience. Name me a really good player who has signed yet? Other then Kuroda and Peavy, who most didn't want, the best player to sign has been PAPI! None of the main targets have signed yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Both are platoon small corner OF'ers. 2 years should be the abvolute limit.  Gomes is coming off a near career high, due to contract year. His splits reflect the spike that comes with a platoon type of profile. He's 32, an is a true bench type part-time player. He's white, just like Ross, which is flaw of the Boston management marketing to Boston racist fans. They like to give the support and bench roles to white guys, typically claiming that better colored alternatives have bad attitudes or are "head cases".

The value and fit end on station to station platoon guy Gomes, for the Red Sox, ends @ 2 years and base 3. I suspent an incompetent GM will look at 2012 and ignore the part-time games played and offer something like 2 years and high single base points or as much as base 10.

Delmon Young should be offered 2 years and base 6 up to budget of base 7, before going up the ladder for Gomes.

Ross, a better fit and talent in the platoon role, but his contract year has him chasing for an incompetent GM contract offer of 2 or 3 years at base 10 to 13, in light of the pipe dream offer to old man part time player Hunter.

R. Johnson, one year base 1, is a better value and fit platoon option than high  bids over valued market offers that result from bidding on Gomes, Young or Ross.

I'm glad they appear to be staying away from Pagan, whose market value will embarrass some GM, very early in the multi-year contract term.

In 2010 they had Bill Hall who was African American as a bench player. Where do you get your facts from ? Delmon Young has had all types of issues, he threw a bat at an umpire in Triple AAA in a game againstvthe Pawtucket Red Sox. He has had anger management issues and had a major one in New York when the Tigers were in New York where he was drunk and disorderly and arrested with the case still pending. Decent player complete head case.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Yeah a money ball player at 1 million a year, not 3-4 million which what Ben is giving him.

In response to parhunter55's comment:

seanny,

I happen to agree that this would not be the outfield of champions.   But I also do not see BC spending the big bucks to sign "on-again/off-again" Upton, the "I'm too much like CC" Bourn, or the "not sure what you are getting yourself into" Hamilton.

What I have to assume is that Gomes, and/or Ross, will be signed as stop gaps to the eventual OF of Brentz-RF, Bradley-CF and Kalish (or some trade)-LF.  In other words, such a signing is a signal that 2013 is a bridge year.

Let us not forget that Billy Beane played Gomes on a team that went much farther than the Sox.  Gomes is a real moneyball type player.  Good plate discipline, decent power and run producer, not much to offer on defense.  And he was brought in for short money and on a one-year deal.  If Ben goes much beyond in years and money, then Ben is foolish, for sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Gomes actually has pretty good plate discipline against LHP. 382 OBP and 11.6% BB rate career v. LHP. He's high on the Ks but he's not a hacker against LHP by any means.

He should never ever face a RHP, but that was already known

Taking a peak at his BIP chart pretty much makes crying about this signing seem silly.

Holy. Pull. Power.

75% of pitchers are righties.  So we got a guy whose a good hitter but "high on K's" 25% of the time, and useless 75% of the time, who also happens to be a liability in the field?  I'm sorry, but I feel that this money could have been better spent elsewhere.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Gomes actually has pretty good plate discipline against LHP. 382 OBP and 11.6% BB rate career v. LHP. He's high on the Ks but he's not a hacker against LHP by any means.

He should never ever face a RHP, but that was already known

Taking a peak at his BIP chart pretty much makes crying about this signing seem silly.

Holy. Pull. Power.

75% of pitchers are righties.  So we got a guy whose a good hitter but "high on K's" 25% of the time, and useless 75% of the time, who also happens to be a liability in the field?  I'm sorry, but I feel that this money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Hes Ross with not as good defense and folks here liked him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Career OPS vs. righties........

Cody Ross----.727

Jonny Gomes--.731

If Gomes is useless against righties, seems like Ross is too. I prefer useless at half the price.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Cody Ross----.727

Jonny Gomes--.731

If Gomes is useless against righties, seems like Ross is too. I prefer useless at half the price.

+1

• You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

gomes, berkman? serious dumpster diving.....ben is useless and incapable of pulling the trigger of any free agent of worth...sad

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

gomes, berkman? serious dumpster diving.....ben is useless and incapable of pulling the trigger of any free agent of worth...sad

Does he have to only bring in All-Star or his allowed at least a couple role players? They need to sign two Ofers, last time I checked there is only one Josh Hamiltion on market.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

do we have a trend here? Sox going after Ross and Gomes types.  If so I like it, both those guys put in a good days work every day. They're not stars, just hard nosed baseball players. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Cody Ross----.727

Jonny Gomes--.731

• +1

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Hes Ross with not as good defense and folks here liked him.

In terms of hitting, Ross and Gomes are nearly identical.  While I would have liked to have Ross back, Gomes on a 2 year deal @ about $3 mil per year makes more sense than Ross for 3 or 4 years @ $8 mil per year.

The tradeoff is Gomes' defense, but Gomes will not be an everyday player.  Maybe he'll be helped defensively by the smaller left field at Fenway. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

At 62 years old, I might be as good an outfielder as Gomes is, was or will be.  He is a very poor outfielder and certainly cannot play anything but left field.

Ross was not a great outfielder last year for the Sox, but he could at least play right field fairly well although he really should have been strickly a left fielder as well.

I would much rather have Ross for 3 years at 5M per year than Gomes for 2 years at 4M per season.  I can see where Ross wants more money per year, but he also may be making a huge mistake by leaving Fenway Park.  Perhaps he should give Jason Bay a quick phone call?

Gomes may come fairly cheaply, but he should be very cheap due to his very weak glove and very poor stats against right handed pitching.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Just rewatched the fight.  Dioneer Navarro was the first man who got to Coco.  I'm okay w/ Dioneer grabbing Coco around the neck, because he was protecting his pitcher.  You should get the decision whether or notto fight, and by charging the mound Coco didnt afford shields the opportunity to make his decision.  While James sheilds is a p-s-y, I cant hate on Navarro for stepping in there.

But Gomes was the third man in, in a fight between Navarro and Coco.  Being the third man in is a b-t-h move.  The signing is a ruse. When Gomes shows up to work on day 1, he is going to get jumped. 

FjonnyGomes

FjamesShields

• Sections
    Shortcuts