Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

Coco also got up smiling without a mark on him.  New rule: if you cleanly punch a guy in the face, and he gets up smiling without a mark on him, you can never be referred to as a power hitter again, because clearly, you have no power.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Just read that the deal is 2 at $5 million per.  Not as good a bargain as I was hoping, but still about 20-25 million less per year than what Josh Hamilton is likely to get paid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Just read that the deal is 2 at $5 million per.  Not as good a bargain as I was hoping, but still about 20-25 million less per year than what Josh Hamilton is likely to get paid.

Focus on what's important.  Just read that Coco and JGomes have patched things up and are actually now good friends.  Considering everything I hear about Coco's personality and Gome's personality , this makes sense. 

Obviously, whether or not Coco has forgiven JGomes is more important than Gomes OPS vs lefties and the average yearly salary of the deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Gomes will get between 2-4M per\

Assuming this ends up the market price, so much for the noation that my value offer of base 3 and 2 years for Gomes "has no chance of taking place".

Ditton on Beltre and AGon's extension.

There is no replacement for slg % in the middle of your lineup.  If you are going to pony up for an expensive free agent, an elite thumper is a much better investment than a replacable leadoff man or an unpredictable pitcher (every pitcher, save for maybe four who would never reach free agency, is unpredictable). 

Beltre's market was what he received, and The Rangers were smart to sign him @ market.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Gomes got 5 million per, so sknuckleheadofty's offer of base 3 and 2 very much under-estimated the market (40% below the actual)...once again. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Does anyone know what Victorino is looking for for money? His last contract was $9.5 M-- He would be a good back up CF if you wind up dealing Ells: 2 years @  $12.5.

Switch hitter bats leadoff, plays CF, perhaps he would consider a one year deal to play RF for the Sox. He played all OF positions for the Dodgers--had 39 SB, 11 HR, 55 RBI- 7 triples.

Victorino, Ells, Pedroia, Ortiz, Swisher,Middle, Gomes, Salty, Ciriaco

I haven't given up on Ichiro---I think he would be a great addition.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Gomes got 5 million per, so sknuckleheadofty's offer of base 3 and 2 very much under-estimated the market (40% below the actual)...once again. 

It still seems high to me.  I valued him at about $6M/2.  In his two prvious seasons, he had a .741 and can't field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He actually works much better as a #4 in a 3-lefty OF.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

With the Jonny Gomes signing, and if the Sox throw in the towel on signing Hamilton, I can see Cody Ross resigning at some type of $18M for three years deal. Then a starter and 1B for another $20M per combined for 3 years max. If they can get Hamilton for 3 years (4 tops) scratch Cody but still a starter and 1B remain. 2013 may becone a "surprised everyone" year. Remember early 00's: Millar? Muellar?? Who are these guys?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I said at the most a base of 4M for Gomes. Although a slight overpay IMO, still a solid move.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Gomes actually has pretty good plate discipline against LHP. 382 OBP and 11.6% BB rate career v. LHP. He's high on the Ks but he's not a hacker against LHP by any means.

He should never ever face a RHP, but that was already known

Taking a peak at his BIP chart pretty much makes crying about this signing seem silly.

Holy. Pull. Power.

75% of pitchers are righties.  So we got a guy whose a good hitter but "high on K's" 25% of the time, and useless 75% of the time, who also happens to be a liability in the field?  I'm sorry, but I feel that this money could have been better spent elsewhere.

There are a number of top pitchers who are LH in the ALE. Sabathia, Price, Burhle, Romero, Matt Moore, Pettite etc., who they play most. Gomes will def fill a need against these guys in our division.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Gomes is a cheaper option than resigning Cody Ross. My guess is Ross will get a third year and probably 17-18 million overall. The sox did not want to have to add a third year so Ross is not coming back.  This actually does not improve our team at all it makes us slightly weaker defensively in Left Field. Gomes has a bit more plate discipline than Ross but their power numbers are virtually identical and both mash lefties but have trouble against righties. I am not personally a Jonny Gomes guy and despite reports that he is a good clubhouse guy I have doubts about that based on some of his antics when he was a Rays player .  He also strikes me as a PED guy though his name has never showed up on any list that I am aware of.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to william93063's comment:

Gomes is a cheaper option than resigning Cody Ross. My guess is Ross will get a third year and probably 17-18 million overall. The sox did not want to have to add a third year so Ross is not coming back.  This actually does not improve our team at all it makes us slightly weaker defensively in Left Field. Gomes has a bit more plate discipline than Ross but their power numbers are virtually identical and both mash lefties but have trouble against righties. I am not personally a Jonny Gomes guy and despite reports that he is a good clubhouse guy I have doubts about that based on some of his antics when he was a Rays player .  He also strikes me as a PED guy though his name has never showed up on any list that I am aware of.

By all reports, hes a great guy to have in the clubhouse. Playing LF in Fenway should hide some of his defensive deficiencies as well. Ross was an adventure defensivly in RF, so I wouldnt say hes that much better than Gomes, especially if you put JG in LF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Opening day OF:

J. Upton LF  9.75M

Sizemore or Pods and R. Johnson  3M Platoon  (Bridge to Bradley, Jr.)

Gomes and Kalish ~6M platoon

Why put a "butcher" who is cleary better in LF into Fenway's expansive RF while at the same time moving RF'er Upton to LF?

If all of what you say happenes, I'd go with:

LF: Gomes v LHPs/ Nava or Kalish vs RHPs

CF: 1 of your 3 with Kalish

RF: Upton (Kalish in reserve)

(Non-tender Sweeney's 2M)

When I said we should trade Sweeney in the summer, you called me an idiot and said he was our best defensive OF'er and must be kept. I thought you never changed your mind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Opening day OF:

J. Upton LF  9.75M

Why put a "butcher" who is cleary better in LF into Fenway's expansive RF while at the same time moving RF'er Upton to LF?

When I said we should trade Sweeney in the summer, you called me an idiot and said he was our best defensive OF'er and must be kept. I thought you never changed your mind.

I think the next move will be a trade from the 40 man roster one of the OF Kalish Nava or Sweeney + Acevez or Morales + either Lavarnway or Butler maybe to get GM's on the phone. This 40 man roster will be playing musical chairs from here on into spring training.

Upton is starting to sound much better now and one big FA name ( 1B or pitcher) will also be another move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Southpaw just to be clear I said slightly worse defensively.

By all reports, hes a great guy to have in the clubhouse. Playing LF in Fenway should hide some of his defensive deficiencies as well. Ross was an adventure defensivly in RF, so I wouldnt say hes that much better than Gomes, especially if you put JG in LF.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Southpaw just to be clear I said slightly worse defensively.

Yup. I caught that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Opening day OF:

J. Upton LF  9.75M

I think the next move will be a trade from the 40 man roster one of the OF Kalish Nava or Sweeney + Acevez or Morales + either Lavarnway or Butler maybe to get GM's on the phone. This 40 man roster will be playing musical chairs from here on into spring training.

Upton is starting to sound much better now and one big FA name ( 1B or pitcher) will also be another move.

Who do you think AZ will want for Upton? Theyre looking for an MLB SS 3b and pitching. No prospects 2 years away...MLB tested and ready.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The reports on what Arizona has previously been asking have been ridiculously high.  They probably want Rubby De Larosaa and 2 or 3 other top level prospects at least. My guess is Will Middlebrooks and possibly Iglesias are high on their wish list as well. The demands will fall as more teams back off on Arizona's unrealistic  asking price.  This could definately happen in time.  Personally I would rather invest in Upton than rolling the dice on Hamilton(his addiction/injury issues concern me).  Overall it is a lower risk higher reward possibility though Upton is not close to the player that Hamilton has shown he can be.

Sections
Shortcuts