Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

Was just reported on rotoworld. They said both are being offered two yr deals and they expect a deal to be done by early next week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Re: Sox looking to sign either Gomes or Ross

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was just reported on rotoworld. They said both are being offered two yr deals and they expect a deal to be done by early next week.

[/QUOTE]

here is the link

According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, the Red Sox have narrowed their focus to Cody Ross and Jonny Gomes among free agent outfielders.The Red Sox have had discussions with Gomes about a two-year deal, but it's not clear what they are discussing with Ross. However, McAdam hears that it's conceivable the club could reach an agreement with one or the other within the week. Gomes batted .262/.377/.491 with 18 homers and an .868 OPS with the A's this season while Ross batted .267/.326/.481 with 22 homers and an .807 OPS with the BoSox. Both are known for knocking around left-handed pitching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Red Sox are close to finalizing a deal for Gomes. Wow that was fast. Anyone here like Gomes? Isn't he more of a dh?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I started a thread about Gomes awhile back.  I was told his defense was not great, but I like his bat better than Ross's since Gomes has better mastery of the K zone and very similar power potential to that of Ross.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I started a thread about Gomes awhile back.  I was told his defense was not great, but I like his bat better than Ross's since Gomes has better mastery of the K zone and very similar power potential to that of Ross.

[/QUOTE]

Where would you put him in the of at fenway? RF is tough just as is LF? So where do you put him, LF?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Gomes is a journyman at best and his glove is horrible.  When it matters late in the game the opponent will simply bring in a RHP and render him useless or to the bench.  If this is the best the team can do with their money, the franchise is in trouble.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

LF is my guess.  The Sox are still looking for RF, I should think.

btw, a just bumped that thread back onto page 1 so you can see what people were saying then...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

[QUOTE]

btw, a just bumped that thread back onto page 1 so you can see what people were saying then...

[/QUOTE]

Thank you and do you think depending on the money Gomes, is this a better move them giving Ross what he wanted. Not sure Ross was worth what he was thinking. Just my two cents.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Nothing against Gomes and Ross , but they really are not more than average ball players. This will not improve the team.  The only real star out there is Hamilton. The risks with him are obvious. Do you want to roll the dice ? High risk , high reward.  No guts , no glory. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nothing against Gomes and Ross , but they really are not more than average ball players. This will not improve the team.  The only real star out there is Hamilton. The risks with him are obvious. Do you want to roll the dice ? High risk , high reward.  No guts , no glory. 

[/QUOTE]

What do you give Hamilton then? Will 5 years be enough for him at 25-30 million? What do you think?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

NY Post is reporting that the Sox and Swisher have had contact. Don't know what that means for sure. He is looking for 4/60 mil

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Gomes nearing two yr deal with the Sox.  

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-jonny-gomes-nearing-two-year-deal.html

One closer step to our "Large 2013 payroll"!! Yea!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you and do you think depending on the money Gomes, is this a better move them giving Ross what he wanted. Not sure Ross was worth what he was thinking. Just my two cents.

[/QUOTE]
    This has got to be a "depth signing," maybe to platoon with Kalish and rest Ortiz against certain lefties, because I can't see this guy being a full time player at all.  He's a butcher defensively and doesn't hit righties well, but he is one of the craziest guys in baseball, so he should be interesting to have around...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you give Hamilton then? Will 5 years be enough for him at 25-30 million? What do you think?

[/QUOTE]

I don't like to give a figure. That is strictly up to John Henry as to how much he is willing to spend.  As I said, it would be a major gamble. He got burned before.  All I will say is that I hope he is seriously in on the bidding. If you want to improve this ball club, you need some serious talent. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In the case of Ross vs. Gomes, it might not be one or the other.  If the Sox would go with a 5-man OF, they could have Ross/Seeney in RF, and Gomes/Kalish in LF.  The offense against LH pitchers would be stronger, and the defense against RF pitchers stronger.  Sweeney and Kalish both available for defensive replacement late in the game if ahead, etc. 

Gomes was paid $1 million last season.  Ross, paid $3 millionish.  Gomes on a two-year $8 million makes some sense to me, but I would imagine I am low on that.  We shall see. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both are platoon small corner OF'ers. 2 years should be the abvolute limit.  Gomes is coming off a near career high, due to contract year. His splits reflect the spike that comes with a platoon type of profile. He's 32, an is a true bench type part-time player. He's white, just like Ross, which is flaw of the Boston management marketing to Boston racist fans. They like to give the support and bench roles to white guys, typically claiming that better colored alternatives have bad attitudes or are "head cases".

The value and fit end on station to station platoon guy Gomes, for the Red Sox, ends @ 2 years and base 3. I suspent an incompetent GM will look at 2012 and ignore the part-time games played and offer something like 2 years and high single base points or as much as base 10.

Delmon Young should be offered 2 years and base 6 up to budget of base 7, before going up the ladder for Gomes.

Ross, a better fit and talent in the platoon role, but his contract year has him chasing for an incompetent GM contract offer of 2 or 3 years at base 10 to 13, in light of the pipe dream offer to old man part time player Hunter.

R. Johnson, one year base 1, is a better value and fit platoon option than high  bids over valued market offers that result from bidding on Gomes, Young or Ross.

I'm glad they appear to be staying away from Pagan, whose market value will embarrass some GM, very early in the multi-year contract term.

[/QUOTE]

How was his contract year of 2011?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If BC's mvoes are Gomes and Ross with Ells in CF, BC is worse GM than Marlins' GM.  one of the biggest market team with 4 platoon guys in OF.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Gomes actually has pretty good plate discipline against LHP. 382 OBP and 11.6% BB rate career v. LHP. He's high on the Ks but he's not a hacker against LHP by any means.

He should never ever face a RHP, but that was already known

Taking a peak at his BIP chart pretty much makes crying about this signing seem silly.

Holy. Pull. Power.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

seanny,

I happen to agree that this would not be the outfield of champions.   But I also do not see BC spending the big bucks to sign "on-again/off-again" Upton, the "I'm too much like CC" Bourn, or the "not sure what you are getting yourself into" Hamilton.

What I have to assume is that Gomes, and/or Ross, will be signed as stop gaps to the eventual OF of Brentz-RF, Bradley-CF and Kalish (or some trade)-LF.  In other words, such a signing is a signal that 2013 is a bridge year.

Let us not forget that Billy Beane played Gomes on a team that went much farther than the Sox.  Gomes is a real moneyball type player.  Good plate discipline, decent power and run producer, not much to offer on defense.  And he was brought in for short money and on a one-year deal.  If Ben goes much beyond in years and money, then Ben is foolish, for sure.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have no in-house options for RF or LF, unless you think a Sands/Nava LF and a Sweeney/Kalish RF is competitive. (Linares is not on the 40man roster.)

Accept this or realize we must overpay to get a FA option in the OF or trade for someone like J Upton for a true cost-effective quality OF'er.