Sox must move soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxhopeful. Show Soxhopeful's posts

Sox must move soon

If the sox don't move on a trade soon there won't be anyone left to bring in that can help.  If they  are serious then Cliff Lee is the only choice.  Bring Middlebrooks back up, as he at least can hit the ball out of the infield.  He's raised he's average 70 pts and Jose has lost 70.  The Sox need to play fundamentals like moving runners along in stead of swinging for the fences.  Napoli and Salty... Can he strike out much more often?  I fear the Sox have been playing over their heads so far and that the swoon hs begun.  By the time the finish with the O's and TB next Monday they will be in third place, trying to hold off the Yanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Sox must move soon

In response to Soxhopeful's comment:

If the sox don't move on a trade soon there won't be anyone left to bring in that can help.  If they  are serious then Cliff Lee is the only choice.  Bring Middlebrooks back up, as he at least can hit the ball out of the infield.  He's raised he's average 70 pts and Jose has lost 70.  The Sox need to play fundamentals like moving runners along in stead of swinging for the fences.  Napoli and Salty... Can he strike out much more often?  I fear the Sox have been playing over their heads so far and that the swoon hs begun.  By the time the finish with the O's and TB next Monday they will be in third place, trying to hold off the Yanks.

Why would you want Napoli bunting?  Would you want Ortiz to bunt? For one thing ...Sox do not have the pitching for one run games  or even a couple runs.Very much over rated staff and a weak offense starting to show. The only player with pure threat on offense is Ortiz.... Thats it !!! Have sox ever had a outfield that has no power? Home runs sometimes do win games. Pitchers love facing sox offense. With Drew and Iggy at the bottom ,might as well let our pitcher bat, but then we lose all our power in Ortiz. Hopefully next year we learn and build a solid offense to go with our average pitching....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Trading for an ace is easier said than done.  I don't want to mortgage the future....who would you suggest we trade for him?  Also doesn't it seem like Philly thinks they are competitors seeing how they went out and overspent on Gonzalez.  They are going to want to unload all his contract plus get back 3-4 top prospects.......I don't pull that trigger

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Trading for an ace is easier said than done.  I don't want to mortgage the future....who would you suggest we trade for him?  Also doesn't it seem like Philly thinks they are competitors seeing how they went out and overspent on Gonzalez.  They are going to want to unload all his contract plus get back 3-4 top prospects.......I don't pull that trigger

overspent doesn't sound very fair hughe

they have plenty of money ( even more coming w/new tv deal)

sounds like they had to pay that to get their man

The Red Sox have long been linked to Gonzalez, with team president and CEO Larry Lucchino even admitting Thursday that the club was looking “pretty hard” at the right-hander. Passan reports that the bidding between Philadelphia and Boston went right down to the wire, with the Phillies ultimately offering more money.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

For a pitcher who most scouts think end up in the bullpen he becomes one of the most overpaid relievers ever.....and he's never even pitched one inning in professional ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [/QUOTE]
     Hopefully next year we learn and build a solid offense to go with our average pitching....

[/QUOTE]

........you are aware our offense has been #1 in baseball for quite some time. And if these past few games booted us off #1 then we're still at the top. Weird how that works... You don't even think they have a solid offense?? Did you just wake from a coma 2 weeks ago?

Baseball is a game of peaks and valleys. Your offense will do good, your offense will struggle. Your Pitching will be good, your pitching will be bad. Your BP will shut it down, your BP will blow a tire. The manager...... you get it. Every Team will win 60 and lose 60. Don't let several bad games distort the other 95+ that say otherwise as to what this team is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

For a pitcher who most scouts think end up in the bullpen he becomes one of the most overpaid relievers ever.....and he's never even pitched one inning in professional ball.

who most scouts think end up in the bullpen

ok I had not read that ' most scouts'  felt that way

so were the sox about to overpay ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not as much as the phillies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Hopefully next year we learn and build a solid offense to go with our average pitching....

[/QUOTE]

........you are aware our offense has been #1 in baseball for quite some time. And if these past few games booted us off #1 then we're still at the top. Weird how that works... You don't even think they have a solid offense?? Did you just wake from a coma 2 weeks ago?

Baseball is a game of peaks and valleys. Your offense will do good, your offense will struggle. Your Pitching will be good, your pitching will be bad. Your BP will shut it down, your BP will blow a tire. The manager...... you get it. Every Team will win 60 and lose 60. Don't let several bad games distort the other 95+ that say otherwise as to what this team is.

[/QUOTE]

The post was about why not bunt and try for a run?  You still in como yourself.  No i don't think Sox have solid hitters aginst good pitching. Seems like every pitcher is solid.Yes offense has it's peaks and valleys. You better hope it starts it's peak again or your staement would be awful stupid. Which i think it is.... Win 60 and lose 60 ? Thats your  prediction for a world series team.You better tell TB it's thier turn to start losing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A coupole losses and now a 1/2 game out of 1st place and the board is in panic...Its quite entertaining...

IRT the bunting...

The Sox really have 2 guys that are really good at and should be bunting. Vic, and Iggy. Guys like Naps and Salty dont bunt for a good reason. They are big sluggers and arent good at bunting because the never have been asked to. Certain guys you want swinging away, and certain guys (usually with lower SLG) you want to bunt because theyre good at it and can use their legs to make things happen. Personally, I think making Iggy bunt a few times will help get him out of this dreadful funk hes in.

The Sox are just in one of their down times. They'll come out of it like they always do. This team has hit Price(reigning Cy Young winner)and Moore(top pitcher in AL right now) already this year and before. Just because both shut them down doesnt mean they can hit good pitching. When a great pitcher is on his game, most teams will have little luck against them.

The sky isnt falling, so relax.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

do you really think the sox would have gone down to the wire

if they thought he was '' going to end up in the BP''

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

do you really think the sox would have gone down to the wire

if they thought he was '' going to end up in the BP''

[/QUOTE]

I think the Sox new they were overpaying for him because they didn't want to trade away the farm but were only willing to go so far.  But I really don't know what he is because I haven't scouted him....and I'm guessing neither has anyone in here.  I'm just reiterating what the consensus in the scouting community seems to be and while nothing is written in stone I wonder if this ends up being a good decision by the Sox.....thats pretty fair I think. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I was disappointed the Sox missed out on Gonzalez, but it's understandable.  The Sox are contenders right now, and have a half a dozen pitching prospects any one of whom could really step up and become a difference maker.  The Phillies have spent a ton of money to be third-best in their division, have no pitching prospects (or otherwise really) to speak of, and the first year of Cole Hamels's $112M contract is his worst in five years.

The Sox wanted Gonzalez very badly, but the Phillies needed him, and paid according to their desperation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The post was about why not bunt and try for a run?  You still in como yourself.  No i don't think Sox have solid hitters aginst good pitching. Seems like every pitcher is solid.

if this happened to be the case at all their offense wouldn't be ranked at the top of virtually every offensive category now would it? That statement is a blatant misrepresentation of the facts.

Yes offense has it's peaks and valleys. You better hope it starts it's peak again or your staement would be awful stupid. Which i think it is.... Win 60 and lose 60 ? Thats your  prediction for a world series team.You better tell TB it's thier turn to start losing.

a 100 win team is considered a fantastic team. Since 1969 there have only been 45 teams to win 100 or more. A winning percentage of at least .617. those are considered some of the best teams of our era and they still lost 50-60 games apiece. So yes, almost every team in the history of modern baseball has lost at least 60 games.

Since 1973 there have been 42 teams that have lost at least 100 games. They usually win 50-60 games and they are considered the worst of the worst. So yes, almost every team in the history of modern baseball has won at least 60 games.

So you can think my statement is stupid all you want but those are the facts. If you can't comprehend numbers then which one of us is stupid?

[/QUOTE]