Sox Nation not concerned?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Sox Nation not concerned?

Shortage of run production from outfielders, imho, is a major cause of concern...the vacum left by Ells looms direly... it is doubtful that Victorino could play consistenly... a Nava-Gomes platoon not convincing...nobody in farm ready to bloom yet...jbj needs more seasoning...Grady a lotto ticket...with the pitching we have, a couple of run producing outfielders like Beltran and Nelson Cruz would have been the difference... The fact that you have to put the best 2nd hitter in baseball,  in the respectable third slot in line up, tells a lot... Hope and pray for a quick trade...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Re: Sox Nation not concerned?

It's a long season Javi. Sitting back and waiting to see how things shake out in the OF makes more sense to me than making a knee jerk reaction trade for the Sox. I'm quite sure the Sox are doing due diligence on whats available to them via trade or on the FA market. Go Sox!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shortage of run production from outfielders, imho, is a major cause of concern...the vacum left by Ells looms direly... it is doubtful that Victorino could play consistenly... a Nava-Gomes platoon not convincing...nobody in farm ready to bloom yet...jbj needs more seasoning...Grady a lotto ticket...with the pitching we have, a couple of run producing outfielders like Beltran and Nelson Cruz would have been the difference... The fact that you have to put the best 2nd hitter in baseball,  in the respectable third slot in line up, tells a lot... Hope and pray for a quick trade...

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

Firstly, why does it matter where runs are generated from as long as we score them? "Must have a slugging RHH OFer!"  Why?  Why is, say, 3 LHH OF and a RHH 1Ber unacceptable, but 2 LHH OF and a LHH 1Ber ok?  A lineup needs balance, but where it's from is irrelevant.

Secondly, didn't the Sox lead MLB in runs last year?  And this year we will have the same LF platoon, the same RFer....I agree I have serious concerns about JBJ hitting this year, and about Grady's health, but Ells was hardly Willie Mays last year and the other 2/3s of the OF is the same.  So why the hand-wringing?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

I disagree.

Firstly, why does it matter where runs are generated from as long as we score them? "Must have a slugging RHH OFer!"  Why?  Why is, say, 3 LHH OF and a RHH 1Ber unacceptable, but 2 LHH OF and a LHH 1Ber ok?  A lineup needs balance, but where it's from is irrelevant.

Secondly, didn't the Sox lead MLB in runs last year?  And this year we will have the same LF platoon, the same RFer....I agree I have serious concerns about JBJ hitting this year, and about Grady's health, but Ells was hardly Willie Mays last year and the other 2/3s of the OF is the same.  So why the hand-wringing?

[/QUOTE]

Ells scored 92 runs with a 355 obp of 355, also he drove in 53 runs. Which for a lead off man is very good...so the vacuum is looming... my frustration is mainly that Sox hot stove league performance was very very poor...the stand pat policy prevailed... just compare it with yanks to mention the team I hate the most!... 

Forgot to add that historically right and left fielders are important part of run production... Bless The Lord if one can have a Johnny Bench or an Ernie Banks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Sorry!  Way off the mark!  

Nava will be a +.300 hitter, with close to 15 HR's, .360 obp..400slg., +.760ops, & +65rbi's

*** All while sharing time with Gomes

Vic will be +.290, 15 HR's, .350obp, .390obp, .740+ ops, with +60 rRBI's

*** Playing +145 games

The Sizemore / JBJ tandem will shock the baseball world!

Sizemore will quickly ease into the starting roll as our 2014 CF'r, & JBJ will stay up also to "spell" all 3 outfield positions.  Carp may well be dealt, but we could well see somebody go on the DL for insurance.  

As for not having anybody ready, the Sox see C. Brown & Brentz all more than ready if need be.  In fact, the Sox' big problem is having to potentially keep JBJ, Brentz, and Brown all in the minors, when all 3 are busting at the seems ready to come up.

Sizemore 

+.290, +.340obp, +.400slg, +.740ops, with 20+ HR's, 80+ rbi's

*****. All while schooling Ells in the art of playing CF.

****** & he will make a record number of throw outs from CF, eclipsing Ells throw outs from CF over his entire tenure with the sox in ONE SEASON, as he's not throwing with my 9 year old neice's arm.

It's gonna be something to watch.

My big worry is having to possibly deal Carp!?!?!?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed Sonics.  I don't think Sox are going to score as many runs as they did last year, but having outscored the Tigers by 57 runs, the As by 86 runs, and the rest of the league by over 100 runs, the Sox have a little bit of room for some dropoff.  I am not concerned about the offense, and our pitching staff should keep us in most games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My big worry is having to possibly deal Carp!?!?!?

[/QUOTE]

LOL, I really hope the Sox do not trade Carp.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Ells scored 92 runs with a 355 obp of 355, also he drove in 53 runs. Which for a lead off man is very good...so the vacuum is looming... my frustration is mainly that Sox hot stove league performance was very very poor...the stand pat policy prevailed... just compare it with yanks to mention the team I hate the most!... 

[/QUOTE]

When you're the best team in the league, there isn't a lot that has to be done in the offseason.

The Yankees, OTOH, were desperate.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When you're the best team in the league, there isn't a lot that has to be done in the offseason.

[/QUOTE]

They were the best team before they lost ELLS and DREW.

[/QUOTE]

& even better, as XB's offensive production will dwarf Drew's.  XB will do just fine at SS also.

Sizemore will prove to be every bit the player Ells has been.  He won't even take the first 1/2 of the season off as Ells did last year.  As I said earlier, he will also bring an arm to the games.

There will be ZERO offensive drop off at those 2 positions!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, best team last year does not mean you will be best next year... when you stand pat you are betting on a many times elusive repeat performance of players that may have had the best year of their lives... I am certain that the rest of the AL East is much stronger this year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

& even better, as XB's offensive production will dwarf Drew's.  XB will do just fine at SS also.

Sizemore will prove to be every bit the player Ells has been.  He won't even take the first 1/2 of the season off as Ells did last year.  As I said earlier, he will also bring an arm to the games.

There will be ZERO offensive drop off at those 2 positions!

[/QUOTE]

i really like this thinking....in fact i love it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

P.s.  Loved Ells, but I'm done with the whining, moaning, & out & out crying over what we lost.  So long Ells.  

As one of his biggest defenders through it all, I'm finally ready to admit that he took no less than 1/2 of a season extra to come back from various injuries.  No more protecting our boy Monday.  He's gone!  Time to get over it!  No better way to get over your boyfriend ladies than a little righteous anger.  Quit thinking of his occasional great points when he did take you out for a game, dinner, & a great time.  How 'bout all those times he called at the last minute & didn't show?  How 'bout all those months & years he took off & left you hanging.  Out doing god knows what with god knows who.  Time to get over him ladies.  

Besides......  Size really does matter, & rumor has it he was taking happy pills to keep you satisfied in 2011.  Sorry, his doc put the kibasch on that.  That big stick ain't comin back!  Size will keep you happy.  I know he's not quite as pretty, or so my wife & brother assure me, but he's pretty nice looking.....  & it's a much more real man kind of look.  

get over him & move on!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Chances are, Bogaerts will provide more production at SS than Drew did last season.  Chances also are, that even if we had retained Jacoby, we would see some drop off in his offense this season, so signing him to some ridiculous contract mean the same level of production from CF.

I don't think the Sox offense will be as good this year as it was last year.  But even with some drop off, I believe it will be one of the top 3 offenses.

The Sox were a 100 win team last year, according to their Pythagorean W-L.  Even with the drop in offense, we should be looking at wins in the low to mid 90s.  A definite playoff contender, which is pretty much all you can ask for going into the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

P.s.   where else will we have more production?

C >  A.J. & Ross will easily out-perform the Salt with no pepper!

3rd >  It won't be pretty, but Ells will put up some big power numbers.

SS >  Could very well be a ROTY season!  Power numbers will dwarf Drew

2nd >  Pedey's numbers will POP back big time now that he's healthy

1st >. Naps will put up big numbers, & be more consistent

LF >  Nava is the model of consistency, & will absolutely put up similar numbers.  Perhaps better If anything.

CF >  Size will quickly have us forgetting Ells!!!!!!

RF > Vic will be healthy & as productive.

Papi >  If he comes close to his epic season I will be more than happy!

it's gonna be a season for the ages!  The repeat drought will come to an end!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

JBJ & Gomes will make considerable contributions!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Forgot to add that historically right and left fielders are important part of run production... Bless The Lord if one can have a Johnny Bench or an Ernie Banks

Same team except for trading Ells, Drew, and Salty for Sizemore/JBJ, Bogaerts, and Peirzinski.

And we have Peavy instead of Dempster.

I think we're slightly worse, but trying to be the best every year can be expensive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

.. a Nava-Gomes platoon not convincing...

Perhaps not convincing, but they had by far the best OPS in the league in LF last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So the Sox need to replace Nava (OPS+128) with 37yo Carlos Beltran (OPS+ 128) and Jonny Gomes (OPS+111) with 35yo Nelson Cruz (OPS+ 123, but with help) to improve their offense from the OF?  Got it...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Sox had an unproductive off season. The competition improved. No amount of talking changes that. Sox have not played well this Spring. That is a fact. How much all of that matters will not be known until well into the season. I would say there is some cause for concern, but I would not be overly concerned at this point. We still have a very good club. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox had an unproductive off season. The competition improved. No amount of talking changes that. Sox have not played well this Spring. That is a fact. How much all of that matters will not be known until well into the season. I would say there is some cause for concern, but I would not be overly concerned at this point. We still have a very good club. 

[/QUOTE]

The Sox didn't do much this offseason, but like I keep asking you, what could they have done that would have been a slam-dunk good move?  When you win a championship, sometimes its impossible to improve.  Good players get very expensive.  I think they did well to stay close to last year's team and to keep their future prospects in great order.

However I do agree they haven't been playing very well this spring.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

One thing clear from watching the postseason that, aside from Papi's slow pitch softball show and a very good Ellsbury in both the LCS and the WS, the Sox were completely dominated by good pitching. Vic, Gomes, Napoli among the worst offenders. ST looks like more of the same and the pitching is not at even regular season level. 

I'm a Sizemore fan but one double in 25 abs doesn't seem like a good precursor of .280, 20, 80 and that says he miraculously stays injury free. Why would he. based on the last several years?

This isnt about the Yankees--I don't know where they'll land but they look good so far--and I'm not ripping the Sox but I just don't see the same perfect storm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing clear from watching the postseason that, aside from Papi's slow pitch softball show and a very good Ellsbury in both the LCS and the WS, the Sox were completely dominated by good pitching. Vic, Gomes, Napoli among the worst offenders. ST looks like more of the same and the pitching is not at even regular season level. 

[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah, but the Tigers and Cardinals were also dominated.

Pitching dominated last postseason, period.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

not concerned but for a different reason. 

a few years ago I was really unhappy with management/ownership and the way the team was run. 

now I'm not, I like the moves being made. Nice balance between value signings and trying to lock down key contributors for the long term (especially pitching). So we don't sign Ells to a ridiculous contract, but we work to get Ortiz and Lester signed - not done yet but the point is, management will pay, but with discretion.

we may not win it all this year but I like the product being put on the field. 

so my attitude has shifted quite a bit, I'm a pretty happy camper and will remain so as long as the team plays hard...though it will be interesting if we are close near the trade deadline and see whether the team is aggressive at those points. 

But I like our team and as a Boston sports fan I'm happier with the Red Sox than any other franchise...

Sections
Shortcuts