Sox Nation not concerned?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Sox Nation not concerned?

In response to alan93's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's like in business. You can't stand still. You always have to look to improve. Companies like Amazon, Google and Walmart are at the top in their fields. But they are never satisfied. Always trying to do more and do it better. I don't think the Sox did that this off season.

OTOH, most companies, outside of the ones on the margins of bankruptcy, plan far beyond the current season.  Amazon loses a gazillion $ on shipping, but will eventually grow to dominate the market and sell you everything.  Google makes a money-losing acquisition every year hoping to expand their future market.

I think we all agree that they should not have gotten into a bidding war with New York over Ellsbury.  But we did not make one significant move to improve the club. All of the top free agents went elsewhere. No meaningful trades.

As has been pointed out, when you are the best in BB, it is difficult to improve in many areas.  What you really to do is to ask two question-

• Who is our worst position player
    • Who is our worst pitcher

The you have to question how you can improve that position.  Our worst SP was Doubront with a 11-6 and a 4.32 ERA at minimum wage.  I see no reasonable way to improve that.

Our worst position player last year was WMB, and I think that has to play itself out.  And with the departure of Ells, we don't know yet.  You also have to consider that we are not the NYY.  We can't go to the FA market to replace our farm system, so we have to eventually play rookies, even if there are growing pains with guys like WMB and JBJ.

IRT big trades, trades are generally value-neutral.  I don't see where we have excess in any particular area that we can trade away, or needs in any particular area that we need to address.  The idea that we hit a HR with a trade is unrealistic.  Toronto went that direction last year and it crushed their farm system, and added $47M to their payroll.  Now they have no money to spend, and and only two good prospects left.

[/QUOTE]

Our worst SP was Doubront with a 11-6 and a 4.32 ERA at minimum wage.  I see no reasonable way to improve that

For the majority of the season our worst SP was Dempster (8-9, 4.57). They already improved on that with a full season of Peavy pending.

[/QUOTE]

Dempster was fine for about six weeks. After that the little boys on the forum called him Dumpster.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Dempster was fine for six weeks. Unfortunately, the season lasts about 26 weeks. The last 20 weeks he WAS Dumpster.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The season starts soon. We will find out if there was a cause for concern or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Our worst SP was Doubront with a 11-6 and a 4.32 ERA at minimum wage.  I see no reasonable way to improve that

For the majority of the season our worst SP was Dempster (8-9, 4.57). They already improved on that with a full season of Peavy pending.

True, but this is reference to how do you improve the roster.  It didn't seem worth mentioning guys no longer on the roster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The season starts soon. We will find out if there was a cause for concern or not.

[/QUOTE]

The assumption is that someone will fail.  That is virtually unavoidable.  Also meaningless.  Every team in BB will be able to say on September 30th, that so-and-so did not work out as planned, but that doesn't really help us on the March 30th before that.

The whole idea is to be able to improve your weakest spot at a reasonable cost.  Our weakest spots are being filled with highly-rated prospects.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

True, but this is reference to how do you improve the roster.  It didn't seem worth mentioning guys no longer on the roster.

[/QUOTE]

The fact is that Dempster played more of the season than Peavy did. I expect Peavy to be somewhat of an improvement over Dempster in terms of a full season of production. Theoretically that should add up to more wins. In addition, the loss of Ellsbury, as I mentioned elsewhere, may be much ado about nothing. It all depends on which player, Ellsbury or Sizemore, can stay the healthiest. If both are healthy I would take Sizemore because his career numbers are better (OPS+ of 120 vs 108 and a better arm in the OF-I think). I also expect that Doubront will do better because he came into camp in much better shape. All in all, I don't think the Sox are likely to do much better or worse than last year in terms of games won.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The fact is that Dempster played more of the season than Peavy did. I expect Peavy to be somewhat of an improvement over Dempster in terms of a full season of production. Theoretically that should add up to more wins. In addition, the loss of Ellsbury, as I mentioned elsewhere, may be much ado about nothing. It all depends on which player, Ellsbury or Sizemore, can stay the healthiest. If both are healthy I would take Sizemore because his career numbers are better (OPS+ of 120 vs 108 and a better arm in the OF-I think). I also expect that Doubront will do better because he came into camp in much better shape. All in all, I don't think the Sox are likely to do much better or worse than last year in terms of games won.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury, for at least a couple of season, will be a substantial loss.  There is no way around that.  But we cannot compete on money alone, and have to develop the farm.  And to the extent of bettering the team, the only spots where can realistically improve is JBJ, WMB, and X.  WMB we'll just have to find out about, and there is no chance we aren't starting one of the best prospects in BB.

So it really just CF where the question is, and the best CF available was Ellsbury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The assumption is that someone will fail.  That is virtually unavoidable.  Also meaningless.  Every team in BB will be able to say on September 30th, that so-and-so did not work out as planned, but that doesn't really help us on the March 30th before that.

The whole idea is to be able to improve your weakest spot at a reasonable cost.  Our weakest spots are being filled with highly-rated prospects.

[/QUOTE]

It is not about so and so working out as hoped, or failing.  It is about whether the Sox can win again. Not necessarily winning it all, but at least making the playoffs. The problem I have is that if we don't make the playoffs, many on here will still be satisfied that everything was done correctly. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury, for at least a couple of season, will be a substantial loss.  There is no way around that.  But we cannot compete on money alone, and have to develop the farm.  And to the extent of bettering the team, the only spots where can realistically improve is JBJ, WMB, and X.  WMB we'll just have to find out about, and there is no chance we aren't starting one of the best prospects in BB.

So it really just CF where the question is, and the best CF available was Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt Ells leaves huge shoes to fill.  I can't help be excited about Sizemore though, because if healthy the guy is flat out a better ballplayer than Ells.  You don't have to watch the guy for long to see that the guy still has the skills to deliver.  Great speed, better instincts, far superior arm, a better approach at the plate, & an absolutely beautiful swing with incredible POP.  I admit it's a huge IF, but IF the guy can stay healthy the Ells loss could be a gain.  This guy is an unbelievable 5 tool BASEBALL PLAYER.  Ells' speed covered up a good deal of deficits.  His glove, instincts, & ARM are sub-par.  His ARM is a joke!  

I have this sneaking suspicion that Sizemore is set to shock the baseball world!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is not about so and so working out as hoped, or failing.  It is about whether the Sox can win again. Not necessarily winning it all, but at least making the playoffs. The problem I have is that if we don't make the playoffs, many on here will still be satisfied that everything was done correctly. 

[/QUOTE]

Everything can be done correctly, and we can still miss the playoffs.  Vic can get hurt on OD and miss the season.  Papi might get old overnight.  But you can only address the problems that we see as of 3/23.

Where is the big improvement you want to see?  It has to be something concrete, and not 'we just need to improve'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everything can be done correctly, and we can still miss the playoffs.  Vic can get hurt on OD and miss the season.  Papi might get old overnight.  But you can only address the problems that we see as of 3/23.

Where is the big improvement you want to see?  It has to be something concrete, and not 'we just need to improve'.

[/QUOTE]

Sox wasted the offseason without getting two hitters to produce runs plus somebody to improve the starting rotation... Wish I could be wrong, but I want badly to repeat, and to me, imho, neither Peavy nor Doubront are  trustworthy... Therefore, I am more than concerned....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This isnt about the Yankees--I don't know where they'll land but they look good so far--and I'm not ripping the Sox but I just don't see the same perfect storm.

[/QUOTE]

Really they look like an 85 win team. They add more questions marks than improvements. Third base and second are going to be huge problems for the Yankees. Not too mention it is unrealistic to believe Jeter and Teixiera are going to be healthy all year. The Yankees went from having the best infield in baseball history a couple years ago to the worst in the division. Not to mention questions with CC, and the diaster of a bullpen. Even if Robertson is as go as Riveria there is no one to get to him. That just isn't a 90 win team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ells scored 92 runs with a 355 obp of 355, also he drove in 53 runs. Which for a lead off man is very good...so the vacuum is looming... my frustration is mainly that Sox hot stove league performance was very very poor...the stand pat policy prevailed... just compare it with yanks to mention the team I hate the most!... 

[/QUOTE]

When you're the best team in the league, there isn't a lot that has to be done in the offseason.

The Yankees, OTOH, were desperate.

[/QUOTE]

They were the best team before they lost ELLS and DREW.

[/QUOTE]

& even better, as XB's offensive production will dwarf Drew's.  XB will do just fine at SS also.

Sizemore will prove to be every bit the player Ells has been.  He won't even take the first 1/2 of the season off as Ells did last year.  As I said earlier, he will also bring an arm to the games.

There will be ZERO offensive drop off at those 2 positions!

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right, but I think you're going with your heart and not your head.

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is going to be a very special hitter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox wasted the offseason without getting two hitters to produce runs plus somebody to improve the starting rotation... Wish I could be wrong, but I want badly to repeat, and to me, imho, neither Peavy nor Doubront are  trustworthy... Therefore, I am more than concerned....

[/QUOTE]

Lets say they lost production from CF, how can anyone argue that Bogaerts and Middlebrooks won't produced at least as much as the 19 third basemen last year and Drew? The biggest (IMHO) is whether or not Middlebrooks will produce like 2012 or 2013. There were good signs after his call up but he was so cold in the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Shortage of run production from outfielders, imho, is a major cause of concern...the vacum left by Ells looms direly... it is doubtful that Victorino could play consistenly... a Nava-Gomes platoon not convincing...nobody in farm ready to bloom yet...jbj needs more seasoning...Grady a lotto ticket...with the pitching we have, a couple of run producing outfielders like Beltran and Nelson Cruz would have been the difference... The fact that you have to put the best 2nd hitter in baseball,  in the respectable third slot in line up, tells a lot... Hope and pray for a quick trade...

[/QUOTE]

Agree ...No big trade ...No big year....Sox are sitting on last year and think they can just turn it on whenever. Well guess what ? NOT!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Shortage of run production from outfielders, imho, is a major cause of concern...the vacum left by Ells looms direly... it is doubtful that Victorino could play consistenly... a Nava-Gomes platoon not convincing...nobody in farm ready to bloom yet...jbj needs more seasoning...Grady a lotto ticket...with the pitching we have, a couple of run producing outfielders like Beltran and Nelson Cruz would have been the difference... The fact that you have to put the best 2nd hitter in baseball,  in the respectable third slot in line up, tells a lot... Hope and pray for a quick trade...

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

Firstly, why does it matter where runs are generated from as long as we score them? "Must have a slugging RHH OFer!"  Why?  Why is, say, 3 LHH OF and a RHH 1Ber unacceptable, but 2 LHH OF and a LHH 1Ber ok?  A lineup needs balance, but where it's from is irrelevant.

Secondly, didn't the Sox lead MLB in runs last year?  And this year we will have the same LF platoon, the same RFer....I agree I have serious concerns about JBJ hitting this year, and about Grady's health, but Ells was hardly Willie Mays last year and the other 2/3s of the OF is the same.  So why the hand-wringing?

[/QUOTE]

Firstly... Not same results as last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Sizemore can stay healthy then he will easily fill Ellsbury's shoes, and more. CF is a question mark, but it will be a question mark for the Yankees too since Ellsbury misses so much time (playing just 63% of the games he could have played in his career). You might be right: Sizemore might prove to be too fragile to play productively, but I am going to give him a chance to show me that he can play before I write him off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Which two hitters do you wish to replace?  And which two pitchers are you going to acquire, and at what cost?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This isnt about the Yankees--I don't know where they'll land but they look good so far--and I'm not ripping the Sox but I just don't see the same perfect storm.

[/QUOTE]

Really they look like an 85 win team. They add more questions marks than improvements. Third base and second are going to be huge problems for the Yankees. Not too mention it is unrealistic to believe Jeter and Teixiera are going to be healthy all year. The Yankees went from having the best infield in baseball history a couple years ago to the worst in the division. Not to mention questions with CC, and the diaster of a bullpen. Even if Robertson is as go as Riveria there is no one to get to him. That just isn't a 90 win team.

[/QUOTE]

They have enough players that could be good.  If all goes well, they could win 95+.  OTOH, they have as many questions as a team with that payroll could have.  Tex and Jeter each lost a season and are old and older.  Roberts has had a lot of injuries.  Johnson has 12 career starts at 3rd.  They have no backup 1B at this point.  Beltran is old and has bad knees.  Soriano is even older.

CC & Kuroda are both question marks.

All these guys have the ability to be average and above, but any one of them could have issues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree ...No big trade ...No big year....Sox are sitting on last year and think they can just turn it on whenever. Well guess what ? NOT!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

If you're trying to win the Grumpiest Sox Fan Award, don, I'd say you're doing a fine job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Many were screaming like little girls about no big trades last year also.......   ;)

We know how that worked out.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many were screaming like little girls about no big trades last year also.......   ;)

We know how that worked out.  :)

[/QUOTE]

Almost every move they make, or don't make, a bunch of people don't like it.  If it's a trade, we gave up too much.  If it's a free agent, we paid too much.  If it's neither, the FO is resting on its laurels.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is a bottom line here. A lot of things fell into place last year. We did nothing to improve in the off season. The competition did. You will not succeed in business by standing still. The team is not playing good ball this spring. There is every reason to be concerned.  We are in a very competitive division. Right now, we look like anything but a championship ball club. Can we turn it around when the bell rings?  Stay tuned. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

There is a bottom line here. A lot of things fell into place last year. We did nothing to improve in the off season. The competition did.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the competition, by whom I assume you're referring to the Yankees, also lost guys named Cano, Granderson, Pettitte and Rivera.  Their projected infield consists of Teixeira and Jeter, both of who missed almost the whole season last year, Brian Roberts, who has averaged 48 games over the last 4 seasons, and Kelly Johnson.  Their bullpen consists of Robertson, Matt Thornton, and a bunch of guys you might not be able to name.  Ellsbury is already missing time.  You might want to ease off on the proclamations of how the Yankees have made these giant strides forward.