Sox Nation not concerned?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Sox Nation not concerned?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is a bottom line here. A lot of things fell into place last year. We did nothing to improve in the off season. The competition did.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the competition, by whom I assume you're referring to the Yankees, also lost guys named Cano, Granderson, Pettitte and Rivera.  Their projected infield consists of Teixeira and Jeter, both of who missed almost the whole season last year, Brian Roberts, who has averaged 48 games over the last 4 seasons, and Kelly Johnson.  Their bullpen consists of Robertson, Matt Thornton, and a bunch of guys you might not be able to name.  Ellsbury is already missing time.  You might want to ease off on the proclamations of how the Yankees have made these giant strides forward.

[/QUOTE]

Well , we will soon find out. If the Sox go on to play great ball and win the division, I will gladly say that we did the right thing this off season. I will be happy to admit that I was wrong. If the team disappoints , will you admit that we were remiss and should have done more to improve, rather than standing pat?   We can say whatever we want,  but the results will tell the tale. Of course, some will try to spin the results if they don' t work out as expected.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Last year before spring training I thought sox would be awful, but after spring training I felt more optimistic and thought they could contend for a playoff spot.  This season, I felt more optimistic about the team's chances before spring training than at this point nearing the end of spring training.  The other teams in the division have all improved and we don't look as good as we did last season.  I'll feel better if we get off to a decent start, but right now, I have to admit I'm feeling a little pessimistic.  Every team will be coming after the reigning champs, and we get the Orioles and Yanks right away (4 in NYC early).  Praying for a decent start, really don't want to fall behind in the standings early!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

There is a problem with saying if they don't repeat then they did it wrong, because you don't know what would have happened if they did the things you would like (which Joe keeps asking what those moves would be but no one is saying).  Not to mention what the effect of doing some things have on the future.  There is no way to tell.  Plus it is so dfficult to repeat even if you retool every year.  So if they retool, then don't win it all, people are saying why did you break up the team?  Remember when people were saying that letting Manny go would meant the Sox would never win another championship? 

This is why I always take the approach of enjoying the season as it unfolds.  If they win it all, great!  I don't expect it.  Maybe it is better that way.  As long as they are competitive and enjoyable to watch, I am happy.  They make the playoffs, or at least have a reasonable chance of doing so barring too many bad breaks.  I think this team fits that description.  They should get the wild card if not the division.  It should be another fun year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Well , we will soon find out. If the Sox go on to play great ball and win the division, I will gladly say that we did the right thing this off season. I will be happy to admit that I was wrong. If the team disappoints , will you admit that we were remiss and should have done more to improve, rather than standing pat?   We can say whatever we want,  but the results will tell the tale. Of course, some will try to spin the results if they don' t work out as expected.

[/QUOTE]

No, I've already stated my position and explained it as best I can.  I'm not going to change it as the season goes on.  I'll live with the results.  And I'm not into that 'told you so' stuff.  There's too much stuff that happens that can't be predicted.

On paper we still have a very good team, regardless of your 'stand pat' tag.  Our pitching won us a World Series and we didn't lose any of it, but you think that's a bad thing.  So be it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We should be concerned when he's a couple starts into the REAL games and he is producing similiar results.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is a bottom line here. A lot of things fell into place last year. We did nothing to improve in the off season. The competition did.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the competition, by whom I assume you're referring to the Yankees, also lost guys named Cano, Granderson, Pettitte and Rivera.  Their projected infield consists of Teixeira and Jeter, both of who missed almost the whole season last year, Brian Roberts, who has averaged 48 games over the last 4 seasons, and Kelly Johnson.  Their bullpen consists of Robertson, Matt Thornton, and a bunch of guys you might not be able to name.  Ellsbury is already missing time.  You might want to ease off on the proclamations of how the Yankees have made these giant strides forward.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Same as last year.  Cherrington failed to address the middle of the order bat need.  Nor did he address the desparate need for a front line starter.  He should have done more to improve.  I admit that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

All true. And besides, all of the Yankees' spending this winter vs. our lack thereof has to be viewed in relative terms. They may have "improved" a lot more, but they were starting from a much weaker position; they had a lot more holes to fill, without the option of filling some of those holes with prospects as we did (Bogaerts, Bradley), and even after spending a bazillion dollars on free agents they're still having to count on guys like Roberts and Johnson to hold their infield together.

As I keep saying, they'll be better than they were, but I'm not worrying yet. For all of the money spent, that Yankee lineup looks like one of the least intimidating in recent memory -- and that's assuming good health from Jeter, Tex, the various 37 year-old outfielders, and so on.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looking at the SOX line-up, I don't think SOX fans should be throwing stones at other team's lineups.

How about throwing boulders?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There sure is a lot of negativity considering we won it all last year and only lost one significant player from that team. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There sure is a lot of negativity considering we won it all last year and only lost one significant player from that team. 

[/QUOTE]

So a steady, dependable SS is not a 'significant' loss? Let's see how you feel about that after the season starts.

[/QUOTE]

I was one of the people in favor of re-signing Drew.  His loss could be significant too, I don't disagree.  Hoping that Bogaerts can do the job. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There is a problem with saying if they don't repeat then they did it wrong, because you don't know what would have happened if they did the things you would like (which Joe keeps asking what those moves would be but no one is saying).  Not to mention what the effect of doing some things have on the future.

Yeah, I kind of have an issue with this type of debating.

1-The assumption should be that you cannot be favored to win a WS.  You have to first make the playoffs, and even then, an outstanding favorite is still only about a 25% chance of winning.  Last year, the best teams, StL, RS, Detroit, and Atl were, at best 6-1 against winning.

2-So, assuming that we don't win, one can look at our biggest weakness and say that we failed the off-season by not addressing it.

3-Without saying what the correct move is right now, they have no skin in the game, therefore, no opinion.

4-If anyone wants to discuss what we should've done, I'll be glad to do so.  But I won't bother to debate someone with 20/20 hindsight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

There is a problem with saying if they don't repeat then they did it wrong, because you don't know what would have happened if they did the things you would like (which Joe keeps asking what those moves would be but no one is saying).  Not to mention what the effect of doing some things have on the future.

Yeah, I kind of have an issue with this type of debating.

1-The assumption should be that you cannot be favored to win a WS.  You have to first make the playoffs, and even then, an outstanding favorite is still only about a 25% chance of winning.  Last year, the best teams, StL, RS, Detroit, and Atl were, at best 6-1 against winning.

2-So, assuming that we don't win, one can look at our biggest weakness and say that we failed the off-season by not addressing it.

3-Without saying what the correct move is right now, they have no skin in the game, therefore, no opinion.

4-If anyone wants to discuss what we should've done, I'll be glad to do so.  But I won't bother to debate someone with 20/20 hindsight.

Great points.

I really don't see anything major we could have done without causing serious repercussions to our future or open big holes now.  We also had the luxury limit to contend with.

What were some big options?

Signing Choo or Beltran?

Trading for Stanton?

Keeping Ellsbury by outbidding the Yanks?

I really don't think any of these ideas would have caused a net gain when combining the now and the future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

The one thing I wanted was Drew to return.  Knew Ells was gone.  The two of them together made up a sigificant part of the team, and they were vets.  Feeling some concern also because they're losing so much in spring training, but I know that can turn out to mean absolutely nothing.  Hoping so.  Hoping for a good start!  Maybe they should start re-growing the beards, get that winning feeling back Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox wasted the offseason without getting two hitters to produce runs plus somebody to improve the starting rotation... Wish I could be wrong, but I want badly to repeat, and to me, imho, neither Peavy nor Doubront are  trustworthy... Therefore, I am more than concerned....

Which two hitters do you wish to replace?  And which two pitchers are you going to acquire, and at what cost?

[/QUOTE]

Once again, without specifcs, the suggestions that we need to improve are meaningless.

I remember a company meeting where the president said we needed to improve sales, and not much more than that.  I left the meeting with the same thought as everyone else.  'What brilliant advice!  Why didn't we think of it?  Our problems are solved!

$300k and his insight was to increase sales.  My kids could come up with better than that.

Anyway, if y'all have specific suggestions of where to improve, instead of saying get better pitchers and hitters, I'd love to hear it.