Sox Near to Trading Peavy- Let the Fire Sale Begin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Sox Near to Trading Peavy- Let the Fire Sale Begin!

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Near? This is so unlike you..... why not wait until it is fact? You may as well be commie with his secret source.

[/QUOTE]

MLBTR is legit, and usually spot on, and in this case...they were as well.  Commie just pulls **** out of his *** and makes up his own news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's see here. We trade Iglesias for Peavy. Then we flip Jake for Edwin Escobar.   Escobar is 3-8 , with a 5.11 ERA in AAA.  And, we eat some of Peavy's salary.  Ben is wheeling and dealing. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Escobar is having a better year than Iglesias.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, but you're not setting the bar all that high!  Let's revisit that in a couple of years.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Let's see here. We trade Iglesias for Peavy. Then we flip Jake for Edwin Escobar.   Escobar is 3-8 , with a 5.11 ERA in AAA.  And, we eat some of Peavy's salary.  Ben is wheeling and dealing. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, stating just what he's done this year is a bit misleading. Surprise surprise on this board.  Of course no one ever likes to see anyone who is called a "prospect" putting up bad numbers in AAA but Escobar was a highly regarded prospect, #2 in the giants system.

He was ranked #2 by BA, and MLB.com and was ranked #3 by Keith Law

John Sickels had this to say about him

"Edwin Escobar, LHP, Grade B+: Borderline B. Throws three quality pitches for strikes, dominated the California League and continued to perform well after moving up to Double-A. Future number three starter I think, relatively high floor but doesn’t have Crick’s physical ceiling."

MLB.com scouting report:

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 60 | Overall: 55

The Giants originally acquired Escobar in 2010 when he was 17 years old as compensation for allowing the Rangers to keep Rule 5 Draft selection Ben Snyder. Since then, Escobar has developed into a solid prospect and reached Double-A Richmond in 2013.

Escobar has a good feel for pitching, and he can add or subtract velocity and movement to his low-90s fastball as the situation requires. His breaking ball has become more consistent and is an out pitch at its best. Escobar has a good feel for his changeup, giving him three average-or-better pitches. He can throw all of his pitches for strikes and isn't afraid to use them in any count.

Solidly built, Escobar has proven to be a durable starter, throwing at least 130 innings in back-to-back years. He profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter.

My take:  Escobar was rushed, he's in triple A and is 2 years younger from all our other pitching prospects there.  RDLR(25) Webster (24) Barnes (24) Ranaudo (24) Workman (25) Escobar is only 22.  He also has a ceiling that is the same as Webster, Barnes, RDLR. 

My guess is, in a week from now Escobar will be the Sox #11 ranked prospect, in a strong system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, stating just what he's done this year is a bit misleading. Surprise surprise on this board.  Of course no one ever likes to see anyone who is called a "prospect" putting up bad numbers in AAA but Escobar was a highly regarded prospect, #2 in the giants system.

He was ranked #2 by BA, and MLB.com and was ranked #3 by Keith Law

John Sickels had this to say about him

"Edwin Escobar, LHP, Grade B+: Borderline B. Throws three quality pitches for strikes, dominated the California League and continued to perform well after moving up to Double-A. Future number three starter I think, relatively high floor but doesn’t have Crick’s physical ceiling."

MLB.com scouting report:

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 60 | Overall: 55

The Giants originally acquired Escobar in 2010 when he was 17 years old as compensation for allowing the Rangers to keep Rule 5 Draft selection Ben Snyder. Since then, Escobar has developed into a solid prospect and reached Double-A Richmond in 2013.

Escobar has a good feel for pitching, and he can add or subtract velocity and movement to his low-90s fastball as the situation requires. His breaking ball has become more consistent and is an out pitch at its best. Escobar has a good feel for his changeup, giving him three average-or-better pitches. He can throw all of his pitches for strikes and isn't afraid to use them in any count.

Solidly built, Escobar has proven to be a durable starter, throwing at least 130 innings in back-to-back years. He profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter.

My take:  Escobar was rushed, he's in triple A and is 2 years younger from all our other pitching prospects there.  RDLR(25) Webster (24) Barnes (24) Ranaudo (24) Workman (25) Escobar is only 22.  He also has a ceiling that is the same as Webster, Barnes, RDLR. 

My guess is, in a week from now Escobar will be the Sox #11 ranked prospect, in a strong system.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info....looks like a solid deal for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I have been a loyal Boston teams fan, Sox, Celtics & Pats, all my life as 1st 21 years were in Maine. But with last 45 in SF I have been a local fan too. With our present freefall I am still a loyal fan but it mends my wounds a bit to also like the SF Giants & A’s. AT&T Park is my 2nd favorite after Fenway and when the Sox play out here at least 25% of fans are wearing “Bees” on their caps, Boston Strong T-Shirts etc. as they are expats or NewEnglanders who come out for a vacation too. Last year we even got up and sang “ Sweet Caroline” and Giants fans joined in and then applauded. There is no great hate for our Boston team as there is for the Dodgers, Angels etc. And SF is a nice quaint walking around town like Boston with a Bay, hills , seafood etc. The A’s have some Sox alumni Crisp, Moss, Reddick & Lowrie. Wouldn’t I like to have Lowrie at SS and Crisp at Center for us now…California Dreaming !!!

I always enjoyed watching Peavy...always gave up 3-4 runs, 5-6 hits but if a team can give him 5-6 runs like the Giants, he'll be an asset and I do want them to beat the Dodgers ( not as intense but still a rivalry like Yankees...Sox). I will attend AT&T park and root for Peavy when he pitches !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

No, Ben is brewing and pouring; Larry's wheeling and dealing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MLBTR reporting....

Giants, Red Sox Near Jake Peavy Deal
    By Charlie Wilmoth [July 26, 2014 at 10:07am CDT]
    10:06am: The Red Sox are “close” to trading Peavy to the Giants, Rosenthal and Jon Morosi report (via Twitter), although there are still details to be ironed out before the deal is done.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]GOOD MOVE, GRASSHOPPER  !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they are anything decent the Sox have to eat the money.

Peavy helped this team win a WS. Or does that matter? 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]        Peavy , with his 4.00 plus ERA did not help all that much. It is an exaggeration to say that he helped win a World Series. Trading him for second rate prospects, while eating salary shows that he does not have much value. At least it makes room for Ranaudo or Workman.

[/QUOTE]

+1000!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This deal is evidence of what I've been saying (and many others too) for a while now.  It's a sellers market at the deadline.  I hope this put all the Stanton talk to rest, especially with Miami reiterating their desire to keep him.  I do think the Sox buy, but I have a gut feeling that the Sox are setting themselves up for big trade this offseason.

We just cleared one roster spot and added to guys who will have to be added to the 40.  Also Escobar may have eliminated the open spot for Owens in Pawtucket.

one way or another, I don't see Ben being done here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This trade was a steal for the Sox.....If they can get this haul for Peavy, they could get a ransom for Lester.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]        Peavy , with his 4.00 plus ERA did not help all that much. It is an exaggeration to say that he helped win a World Series. Trading him for second rate prospects, while eating salary shows that he does not have much value. At least it makes room for Ranaudo or Workman.

[/QUOTE]

+1000!

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

This trade was a steal for the Sox.....If they can get this haul for Peavy, they could get a ransom for Lester.

[/QUOTE]

exactly....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

This deal is evidence of what I've been saying (and many others too) for a while now.  It's a sellers market at the deadline.  I hope this put all the Stanton talk to rest, especially with Miami reiterating their desire to keep him.  I do think the Sox buy, but I have a gut feeling that the Sox are setting themselves up for big trade this offseason.

We just cleared one roster spot and added to guys who will have to be added to the 40.  Also Escobar may have eliminated the open spot for Owens in Pawtucket.

one way or another, I don't see Ben being done here.

[/QUOTE]

i'm not saying i would like it but some how i keep seeing matt kemp's name poping up for us....i think i read last week we were checking in on him again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Could be the start of the fire sale. Can't be sure quite yet. Trading Peavy makes sense in it's own right. Probably makes us a better team right now and possibly down the road too.

Stabbed by Foulke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1000!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was agreeing that Peavy is a 2nd rate pitcher and if the SOX can get anything for him it's a plus. I'm sure Larry isn't done wheeling and dealing.

Larry---"Hey Benny, make yourself useful and get me some more coffee."

Benny--"Coming right up, boss. Ya know, boss, it's fun playing pretend GM. Can I do this again next year?"

Larry---I don't know, someone's head has to roll over this putrid team. I may have to blame you. Funny, though, Farrell asked me yesterday if he could be pretend manager again next year. He's such a dullard; may have to keep him."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

I wonder if he will be sent down to double a ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not sure if I agree with this ideal of us having a "fire sale" but I guess it depends on how you define fire sale.  Lets call it....a semi fire sale, or a small fire sale.

The main pieces I see going are the ones who were likely out of here at the end of the year regardless.  If you can get anything of value for them, even if it is a good organizational guy (guys who are often under rated) then it is worth it assuming this team has no realistic shot at the post season.

A true fire sale would likely set us back from contention for another 2 years, I think we can compete next year.  A true fire sale would look more likely if guys like Lester, Koji were going, but even then one could make the argument that the Sox would not resign them.  A really really really true fire sale would selling Ortiz and Pedroia.

So I'm not comfortable calling this a fire sale just yet, especially seeing how we've only traded Peavy.  Don't get me wrong, my bets are on more guys being traded....but I'm not sure this is a fire sale just yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1000!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was agreeing that Peavy is a 2nd rate pitcher and if the SOX can get anything for him it's a plus. I'm sure Larry isn't done wheeling and dealing.

Benny--"Coming right up, boss. Ya know, boss, it's fun playing pretend GM. Can I do this again next year?"

Larry---I don't know, someone's head has to roll over this putrid team. I may have to blame you. Funny, though, Farrell asked me yesterday if he could be pretend manager again next year. He's such a dullard; may have to keep him."

[/QUOTE]

ahhh ok, my apologies.  Yes Peavy is a second rate pitcher,  still a valuable piece in a back of a teams rotation but not someone who is going to lead a WS charge.  Still for a team that needs pitching depth, he holds some value.  The fact that we brought a prospect back who projects to be a middle of the rotation starter for years to come could make this deal a huge steal for us.  And if Escobar busts then we really don't lose either because Peavy was gone no matter what and the Giants even ate a little bit of salary for the Sox too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1000!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ahhh ok, my apologies.  Yes Peavy is a second rate pitcher,  still a valuable piece in a back of a teams rotation but not someone who is going to lead a WS charge.  Still for a team that needs pitching depth, he holds some value.  The fact that we brought a prospect back who projects to be a middle of the rotation starter for years to come could make this deal a huge steal for us.  And if Escobar busts then we really don't lose either because Peavy was gone no matter what and the Giants even ate a little bit of salary for the Sox too.

[/QUOTE]

So, except for agreeing who the real GM is, we're pretty much on the same page.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if he will be sent down to double a ?

[/QUOTE]

Escobar??? could be, perhaps they prefer Owens up in Pawtucket once Workman/Webster is promoted.  Escobar is 2-3 years younger than anyone in the Pawtucket rotation not named Wright (29) and the Sox may want slow down his development and take a long look at him with their own guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Peavy went 6-4 down the stretch in 60IP +, with a 4 ish ERA, as a #4 starter that's fine.  He had a couple decent appearances in the LDC and WS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1000!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, except for agreeing who the real GM is, we're pretty much on the same page.

[/QUOTE]

Ben Charington is the G.M. Larry.....

yes...yes we are.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Peavy went 6-4 down the stretch in 60IP +, with a 4 ish ERA, as a #4 starter that's fine.  He also pitched 6 innings giving up 2 runs in WS, in a game they won.  He certainly helped them win the WS.

[/QUOTE]

Also at the time of the trade last year the Sox had lost Buchholz who was having the best season in the AL, and Lester was going through a really bad rough patch (although he did start to look better in July) The Sox needed pitching and had infield depth.  It made sense.

And in reality Iglesias bought us 1+ year from Peavy/Villarreal/A world series/Escobar/Hembree.

For a guy who has had injury issues, and bat is a huge question mark....that ain't that bad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Great points CT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    The 2 prospects obtained from the Giants for Peavy are ranked in the top 10 in the SF system. Surprisingly good return,