Sox Near to Trading Peavy- Let the Fire Sale Begin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Sox Near to Trading Peavy- Let the Fire Sale Begin!

Follow

Henry SchulmanVerified account
    ‏@hankschulman
    Both will be ML pitchers. But in #sfgiants eyes, should’ve been here already. RT @jeff0630: Your thoughts on Escobar & Hembree pls?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    #RedSox add 2 MLB-quality arms, adding to what is already a deep group in AAA. Creates opportunities for other deals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Keith Law wrote for ESPN that he expected #RedSox to get more for Peavy. Frankly, seemed surprising they got that much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    Adjustment to initial Peavy reports. SF media now saying #RedSox paying closer to $3 million. Explains better quality of prospects

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    If Peavy returned two pretty decent prospects, makes you wonder what Uehara would be worth, never mind Lester or Lackey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Baseball America had Escobar second in its rankings and Hembree 7th

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ahhhh Twitter.  The information on twitter to a sports news junky is like free, unlimited supply of cake to a fat kid. 15 years ago we wouldn't even hear about this trade until 7 P.M. when the game started or in the paper the next day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Even with Workman presumably taking Peavy's place, we'll have Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, and now Escobar in Pawtucket, with Owens and Johnson crying out for promotions. Have to wonder whether a bigger move is coming.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I like to think of myself as a pretty knowledgable baseball fan,  but I have to bow before the superior knowledge of some of the sages on here. To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of Escobar and Hembree before today. I also admit to being totally unfamiliar with the Giants farm system.   I would be more optimistic about these new guys if not for the fact that I hear the praises being sung for just about every player that we acquire , while just about every player who leaves is discredited.  Is everyone else being perfectly honest, or is it just blind loyalty to Ben and the organization? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We were going to pay Peavy anyways, so I have no issue with paying most of what was owed to him the rest of this season. I'm happy we got 2 good prospects. I expected 1 decent one.

I expect Gomes, Miller and Bedenhop to go next.

I'd look to pay Drew's deal and see what offers are out there for him too.

I hope we trade Lester, since I am 99.9% sure he won't be back.

I'd trade Uehara, unless we feel he will be back next year.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like to think of myself as a pretty knowledgable baseball fan,  but I have to bow before the superior knowledge of some of the sages on here. To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of Escobar and Hembree before today. I also admit to being totally unfamiliar with the Giants farm system.   I would be more optimistic about these new guys if not for the fact that I hear the praises being sung for just about every player that we acquire , while just about every player who leaves is discredited.  Is everyone else being perfectly honest, or is it just blind loyalty to Ben and the organization? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

"Baseball America had Escobar second in its rankings and Hembree 7th"

Yup, BA is definitely in the Red Sox pocket...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even with Workman presumably taking Peavy's place, we'll have Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, and now Escobar in Pawtucket, with Owens and Johnson crying out for promotions. Have to wonder whether a bigger move is coming.

[/QUOTE]

That would make sense. Lets not forget Ruby.  The Sox have a generous supply of young arms. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

"Baseball America had Escobar second in its rankings and Hembree 7th"

Yup, BA is definitely in the Red Sox pocket...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  Thank you fourbees. I expected something like that. You never disappoint.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a little bit of everything, with some people leaning more one way or another.  FWIW I get most of my MLB and Milb knowledge from outside boston sources....I really just come here to talk. Escobar and Humbree aren't great prospects, but they are legit prospects. 

No one around baseball is calling Escobar a future ace, but many scouts are throwing the #3 starter label on him, I've seen a few guys lower on him that believe he is more of a back of the rotation starter.  But even if he was a #4#5 starter, then we would have basically replaced Peavy with a much cheaper Peavy.  Humbree isn't as highly regarded because he only has two pitches, and guys who only have two pitches are not going to become starters and when you are already in relief in the minors no one is ever going to take put to much stock into you.  But he does hit 98MPH and reportedly has a very good slider, an arm like that screams closer potential. He does have command issues, but that is highly common for young arms.  The Giants system is generally a pretty weak system right now, but even the weakest systems have a couple good guys at the top and we got 2 good arms.

I'm personally very excited about this trade, but a lot of that also has to do with the fact that we got these guys for Peavy.  If this was the haul that Lester brought in I'd probably be a little perplexed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Gale, I don't know anything about them other than what I've read in the media today...but given that I didn't expect much for Peavy (probably organizational filler or a lottery-ticket type guy from the lower levels), the return certainly looks like a pleasant surprise.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Next up...

Gomes

Badenhop

Drew

Ross

Miller

Uehara

Lester

Possibly Breslow, Napoli & Victorino (1 more year of control)

Don't sell low on Doubront, Middy and Carp. They may still find a role on future teams, and if not, we can deal them later.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a little bit of everything, with some people leaning more one way or another.  FWIW I get most of my MLB and Milb knowledge from outside boston sources....I really just come here to talk. Escobar and Humbree aren't great prospects, but they are legit prospects. 

No one around baseball is calling Escobar a future ace, but many scouts are throwing the #3 starter label on him, I've seen a few guys lower on him that believe he is more of a back of the rotation starter.  But even if he was a #4#5 starter, then we would have basically replaced Peavy with a much cheaper Peavy.  Humbree isn't as highly regarded because he only has two pitches, and guys who only have two pitches are not going to become starters and when you are already in relief in the minors no one is ever going to take put to much stock into you.  But he does hit 98MPH and reportedly has a very good slider, an arm like that screams closer potential. He does have command issues, but that is highly common for young arms.  The Giants system is generally a pretty weak system right now, but even the weakest systems have a couple good guys at the top and we got 2 good arms.

I'm personally very excited about this trade, but a lot of that also has to do with the fact that we got these guys for Peavy.  If this was the haul that Lester brought in I'd probably be a little perplexed.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. All credit to you. You do have an encyclopedic knowledge of the minor leagues. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if he will be sent down to double a ?

[/QUOTE]

Escobar??? could be, perhaps they prefer Owens up in Pawtucket once Workman/Webster is promoted.  Escobar is 2-3 years younger than anyone in the Pawtucket rotation not named Wright (29) and the Sox may want slow down his development and take a long look at him with their own guys.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah since he was "rush" maybe give him a year in double A to see what you got. He could be a nice trade chip in the future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I wonder if he will be sent down to double a ?

[/QUOTE]

Escobar??? could be, perhaps they prefer Owens up in Pawtucket once Workman/Webster is promoted.  Escobar is 2-3 years younger than anyone in the Pawtucket rotation not named Wright (29) and the Sox may want slow down his development and take a long look at him with their own guys.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah since he was "rush" maybe give him a year in double A to see what you got. He could be a nice trade chip in the future.

[/QUOTE]

Someone is a trade chip, the Sox system is loaded with talent. And assuming that they make another trade they are going to get more prospects that another team steal from them in the rule 5 draft.

Only two ways around this at this point.  Either the Sox have to trade away some of their prospects, or they need to trade for prospects who are lower in the minors and not rule 5 eligible.  Guys like that have less of a chance of reaching the majors, but sometimes you have more of a chance of getting a future star too. 

The question is, does Ben plan on going on a shopping spree now? or in the winter???

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Next up...

Gomes

Badenhop

Drew

Ross

Miller

Uehara

Lester

Possibly Breslow, Napoli & Victorino (1 more year of control)

Don't sell low on Doubront, Middy and Carp. They may still find a role on future teams, and if not, we can deal them later.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

They would be better off paying Lester a reasonable salary than trading him away. Our rotation for 2015 looks pretty weak without him there to anchor it.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Hugh, thanks for the info.

If you're good with the trade, then I'm good with the trade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They would be better off paying Lester a reasonable salary than trading him away. Our rotation for 2015 looks pretty weak without him there to anchor it.

I agree, and I upped my suggested offer 3-4 times to about $125M/5 or $145M/6, but now I think that won't be enough. Plus, I doubt we will even go that high this winter.

We had our chance to get him, but once he goes to free agency, we will not win a bidding war.

We need to face that fact or be burned by not facing that fact.

A comp pick for losing him will set us back a huge step. We cannot afford a huge step back from the position of last place.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peavy went 6-4 down the stretch in 60IP +, with a 4 ish ERA, as a #4 starter that's fine.  He had a couple decent appearances in the LDC and WS

[/QUOTE]

Uhh...no.  Just so we don't get all carried away in a love-fest here,

Peavy went 4-1 in ten starts for Boston last year with an ERA slightly over 4.  That isn't quite as good as it sounds because two of those four wins were against the Diamondbacks and the Giants, the two bottom teams in the NL West.  

He made three playoff appearances, all starts, pitching 12+ innings - an average of just over 4 innings per start.  He gave up 16 hits and four walks in those 12+ innings,  had a playoff ERA of 7.11 and a WHIP of 1.58.

IMHO the Sox would have won the World Series with or without him. 

Nice guy, hard competitor, and great in the clubhouse, but the numbers are what they are. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would have to think that we could have picked up a comparable pitcher to Peavy without giving up Iglesias. In fact , we already had Workman. 4.00 plus ERA guys are not too hard to find. Iglesias has been downgraded on this forum ( in my opinion by those who want to defend the trade ) , but the bottom line is that he is a brilliant defensive shortstop, did , in fact, hit .300 for the year and was the runner up in the Rookie of the year voting. I would love to see us try to get him back this off season. Highly doubt that it will happen. At any rate, I think it is safe to say that around baseball, he is considerably more highly regarded than is Escobar or Hembree.  By the way, for those who say Iglesias tanked with Detroit, he batted .259 after the trade to the Tigers. Not quite tanking. I have often heard on here how people would be satisfied with Bradley if he could hit .250 with his defense. But not with Iglesias ? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sections
Shortcuts