Sox Near to Trading Peavy- Let the Fire Sale Begin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Sox Near to Trading Peavy- Let the Fire Sale Begin!

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would have to think that we could have picked up a comparable pitcher to Peavy without giving up Iglesias. In fact , we already had Workman. 4.00 plus ERA guys are not too hard to find. Iglesias has been downgraded on this forum ( in my opinion by those who want to defend the trade ) , but the bottom line is that he is a brilliant defensive shortstop, did , in fact, hit .300 for the year and was the runner up in the Rookie of the year voting. I would love to see us try to get him back this off season. Highly doubt that it will happen. At any rate, I think it is safe to say that around baseball, he is considerably more highly regarded than is Escobar or Hembree. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

a) Iglesias was not much higher rated as a prospect than Escobar has been.

b) We got 2 pitchers.

c) It's not an apples to apples comparison anyway, because we had Peavy under contract for 1.33 years, the Giants only have him for .33 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Also, if guys like Peavy are easy to find, why did the Giants do this deal?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I would have to think that we could have picked up a comparable pitcher to Peavy without giving up Iglesias. In fact , we already had Workman. 4.00 plus ERA guys are not too hard to find. Iglesias has been downgraded on this forum ( in my opinion by those who want to defend the trade ) , but the bottom line is that he is a brilliant defensive shortstop, did , in fact, hit .300 for the year and was the runner up in the Rookie of the year voting. I would love to see us try to get him back this off season. Highly doubt that it will happen. At any rate, I think it is safe to say that around baseball, he is considerably more highly regarded than is Escobar or Hembree. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

a) Iglesias was not much higher rated as a prospect than Escobar has been.

b) We got 2 pitchers.

c) It's not an apples to apples comparison anyway, because we had Peavy under contract for 1.33 years, the Giants only have him for .33 years.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  Let's try to be realistic. If we now offered Escobar and Hembree to Detroit for Iglesias, what do you think they would say? And how much did we pay Peavy compared to what Iglesias was making? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's try to be realistic. If we now offered Escobar and Hembree to Detroit for Iglesias, what do you think they would say?  

[/QUOTE]

What does it matter what either of us thinks...we don't know how Detroit feels about Iglesias.  He made 2 costly errors in the ALCS and he had a very unusual season-long injury.  I think it's presumptuous of you to think Detroit is enraptured with his future.

Iglesias might easily end up as what Buchholz seems like right now - all the promise in the world, but not strong enough physically or mentally to deliver on the promise. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Let's try to be realistic. If we now offered Escobar and Hembree to Detroit for Iglesias, what do you think they would say?  

[/QUOTE]

What does it matter what either of us thinks...we don't know how Detroit feels about Iglesias.  He made 2 costly errors in the ALCS and he had a very unusual season-long injury.  I think it's presumptuous of you to think Detroit is enraptured with his future.

Iglesias might easily end up as what Buchholz seems like right now - all the promise in the world, but not strong enough physically or mentally to deliver on the promise. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   I don't know what they think of his future. They now have a pretty good , young shortstop, so they might be open to trading Iglesias.  But certainly not for those two guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   I don't know what they think of his future. They now have a pretty good , young shortstop, so they might be open to trading Iglesias.  But certainly not for those two guys.

[/QUOTE]

Drew for Iggy?

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew for Iggy?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]  I would do it in a minute.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They would be better off paying Lester a reasonable salary than trading him away. Our rotation for 2015 looks pretty weak without him there to anchor it.

I agree, and I upped my suggested offer 3-4 times to about $125M/5 or $145M/6, but now I think that won't be enough. Plus, I doubt we will even go that high this winter.

We had our chance to get him, but once he goes to free agency, we will not win a bidding war.

We need to face that fact or be burned by not facing that fact.

A comp pick for losing him will set us back a huge step. We cannot afford a huge step back from the position of last place.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Lester has been adamant about not reopening negotiations until  Nov. The Red Sox have to make the right decision about this: do they wait and try to secure him then or trade him because they do not think they have a chance to sign him in Nov. Big risk, one way or the other. If they do not sign him the rebuilding process is going to take another year or two IMO, and if he is traded he is not coming back. Big decision by our FO coming up; its a turning point for the franchise.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They would be better off paying Lester a reasonable salary than trading him away. Our rotation for 2015 looks pretty weak without him there to anchor it.

I agree, and I upped my suggested offer 3-4 times to about $125M/5 or $145M/6, but now I think that won't be enough. Plus, I doubt we will even go that high this winter.

We had our chance to get him, but once he goes to free agency, we will not win a bidding war.

We need to face that fact or be burned by not facing that fact.

A comp pick for losing him will set us back a huge step. We cannot afford a huge step back from the position of last place.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Lester has been adamant about not reopening negotiations until Nov.

Yes, so signing him now is not an option. 

He also said he'd understand if we traded him and would be open to returning here after a trade. It benefits Lester's bargaining power to be traded, as the lost draft pick disappears, if he is traded.

We are not going to out bid everyone for Lester. If we were prepared to go that high, we would have already.

The Red Sox have to make the right decision about this: do they wait and try to secure him then or trade him because they do not think they have a chance to sign him in Nov. Big risk, one way or the other. If they do not sign him the rebuilding process is going to take another year or two IMO, and if he is traded he is not coming back. Big decision by our FO coming up; its a turning point for the franchise.

To me, trading him is the only option that assures we have something to show for this whole situation. 

Load up on prospects and wheel and deal this winter. Roll the dice.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew for Iggy?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]  I would do it in a minute.

[/QUOTE]

I would too, and I see it as being a reasonable trade for both teams. 

The Sox aren't going to get anything for Drew anyway, and it would give the Sox a chance to move XB back to SS for the remainder of this year to see if he can play there.  If he can then either XB or Iggy could be traded next year, and either way we have a SS.  

It would give the Tigers a solid defensive SS for their pennant run and they have enough offense to cover it when Drew has his batting slumps.  

We'd have to eat some of Drew's salary but at this point, what the hey?  

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This from MLBTR...

GM Ben Cherington told reporters, including Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, that the club “would listen to what teams are looking to do.” Said Cherington, “anything we do between now and Thursday afternoon will be with a mind toward building as quickly as possible for April of 2015.”

Boston should take advantage of a seller’s market and deal Lester, writes Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. If the club is hesitant about extending Lester – and they appear to be – then the Sox will get a lot more back via trade than they would with a qualifying offer. As Rosenthal notes, the club may qualify for a protected pick, and Lester has left the door open for re-signing even if he’s dealt. Cherington did say they want Lester in the 2015 rotation, according to Speier (twitter link).

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts