Sox need a third catcher, IMHO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox need a third catcher, IMHO

Looks like a very bad combo for the Sox and a basestealing dream for anyone with speed mojo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If Tek were a rookie with these numbers we'd be questioning his MLB qualifications.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That would have been VMart

But since Francona carries 13 pitches, no way they can have a 3rd catcher....the bench is short enough as it is....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness peppered the forum with his stats and here we present the Red Sox are being crushed by poor CA defense.....  and to boot our CA offensive numbers are pathetic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Sox need a third catcher, IMHO:
    [QUOTE]I know what is it with the numbers - the fact is that every team in the AL knows they can run against us - they have thrown out 11 because they have had so many attempts (53?) against them.  Roy you sound like a politician, no mention of the 42 steals (WORST IN THE MAJORS) just the fact they have thrown out 11 and that is 4th best in the league. You should be thrown in the forum jail for a week.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You should be thrown in the forum jail for a week

I agree burrito

roy was a bad poster

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Rofl!  It would be funny if there was a forum jail - and the inmates could only post from the jail thread - hilarious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

posted at 5/11/2011 4:30 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d122aefcdaf458362282bbfb1965bdee&plckUserId=d122aefcdaf458362282bbfb1965bdee">
    First: 9/29/2009
    Last: 5/11/2011
    I know what is it with the numbers - the fact is that every team in the AL knows they can run against us - they have thrown out 11 because they have had so many attempts (53?) against them.  Roy you sound like a politician, no mention of the 42 steals (WORST IN THE MAJORS) just the fact they have thrown out 11 and that is 4th best in the league.

You should be thrown in the forum jail for a week.

Hey BT, You should be thrown in forum jail for a week for misrepresenting my post.

After I posted the number of players thrown out, I pointed out that they were 10th in percentage, which is low of course. If a team runs more Boston pitchers, the Sox likely are going to be higher in both categories. Teams run more on the Sox because of the pitchers as much as the catcher. 

Tek's percentage is down from last year 21 percent to 16 percent. But Salty has been an upgrade over Martinez. Salty has thrown out 26 percent of basestealers this year, which isn't too bad. Martinez was 21 percent last year.

Again, the point is Tek is the backup and no matter who you bring in as backup, that catcher is going to have noticeable flaws, otherwise they'd be starting.

And as my first post on this thread pointed out, the stolen bases were the least of the reasons why the Sox lost after Lester, Bard, Youk, and leaving a lot runners on base again. It never should have come down to the 11th inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I agree burrito roy was a bad poster  
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

How.

I made no opinion on whether or not the catching was good or bad. I began the post with FWIW -- and just put out there how the Sox ranked as a team. I never said they were doing a good job.

You did the same as BT. You failed to recognize that I did post the negative stat on how low they ranked in the percentage, which obviously would indicate that if they are high in CS and low in percentage, they'd be high in SB allowed. I think most intelligent posters would understand that.

Throw yourself in jail for a week while you're at it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox need a third catcher, IMHO : How. I made no opinion on whether or not the catching was good or bad. I began the post with FWIW --Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

yup, poster jail is loaded with innocent posters

ok roy, we'll let you go this time but you are on Probation

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

probation with a capitol "P".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]probation with a capitol "P".

LOL

fixed it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]" Davis took advantage of Boston's poor record of curtailing basestealers to set up the win ." rotowire  There you have it - 

Burrito, I hear what your saying but it also really kind of helps when the head guy of the J's happened to be our pitching coach last year......Mr. Farrell won that game man........however, look at the bright side.........gonzo is looking LOCKED in right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

I am late to the forum this fine morning. I just planted two rows of turnips, and single rows of swiss chard, endive, carrots, and onions. Got to beat those ridiculous prices at the supermarket.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox need a third catcher, IMHO : Sorry, but you're just wrong here. Salty had a key hit last night that kept us in the game. He's also consistently caught Lester through the season with good results. Yes, neither of them are good at throwing out baserunners but what do you propose? You think Pudge or Molina out of retirement will net you better results?
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

Well since nieither can hit or throw out base runners I propose that a better catcher is brought in.  I know it's kind of a radical thought.

The old "what do you propose" thing is not the point.  The Red Sox gambled that Salty would do the job and so far he isn't.  this isn't like someone starting out slow with a good track record like Crawford.  it is somone starting out slow with a bad track record.  You get the difference?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

a THIRD CATCHER????
    my dad use to say - you send for a doctor, you come back with a pharmacist...our catchers arent good but given the realities of the position, Im sure we are not lacking that much compared to other teams....if you want to improve things, how about some coaching pitchers on holding runners, not BALKING, and players running the bases...'Coma is horrible this yr getting his team to do the basics...so many stupid errors each day it seems....and as harness points out, what about Lester? If his name were lackey or Dice there wouldve been 17 threads about his stinker yesterday...

on the plus side... AGON - he is a beast of epic proportions

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Sox need a third catcher, IMHO:
    [QUOTE]No way you can let Tek hit late in the game. And if he does get on base, you gotta pinch run. And like tonight, he cant throw. Come to think of it, Tek, we love ya, but either you gotta go, or we need to carry a third catcher. Thoughts, anyone?
    Posted by Sveltics[/QUOTE]

A third catcher?  That's about as shortsighted of an idea as 12-13 man bullpens.  It minimizes a team's ability to maintain a flexible roster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]a THIRD CATCHER???? my dad use to say - you send for a doctor, you come back with a pharmacist...our catchers arent good but given the realities of the position, Im sure we are not lacking that much compared to other teams....if you want to improve things, how about some coaching pitchers on holding runners, not BALKING, and players running the bases...'Coma is horrible this yr getting his team to do the basics...so many stupid errors each day it seems....and as harness points out, what about Lester? If his name were lackey or Dice there wouldve been 17 threads about his stinker yesterday... on the plus side... AGON - he is a beast of epic proportions
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Well see man Lester is 4 and 1 with an ERA of 2.96.  Which is why people don't talk about him like they do Dice or Lackey.  Because you know he is umm a lot better.  Wow.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Wakefield and Mac are hardly giving the team flexibility.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]a THIRD CATCHER???? my dad use to say - you send for a doctor, you come back with a pharmacist...our catchers arent good but given the realities of the position, Im sure we are not lacking that much compared to other teams....if you want to improve things, how about some coaching pitchers on holding runners, not BALKING, and players running the bases...'Coma is horrible this yr getting his team to do the basics...so many stupid errors each day it seems....and as harness points out, what about Lester? If his name were lackey or Dice there wouldve been 17 threads about his stinker yesterday... on the plus side... AGON - he is a beast of epic proportions
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Lester's a lot better than Lackey and Dice-K.  Plus, it was one game.  Every pitcher will have one bad game every now and then--even the greats.  It might be hard to believe, but even vintage Greg Maddux (1992-1998) and vintage Pedro (1997-2003) had a couple of bad starts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sorry I dont care what Lester's record is - he flat out stunk in a game that could have allowed us to reach .500

thats why we lost last nite, not because we needed a third catcher...dumb

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Article in the Globe today says that the Sox are considering the retired Bengie Molina.  They should have kept V-Mart.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox need a third catcher, IMHO : How. I made no opinion on whether or not the catching was good or bad. I began the post with FWIW -- and just put out there how the Sox ranked as a team. I never said they were doing a good job. You did the same as BT. You failed to recognize that I did post the negative stat on how low they ranked in the percentage, which obviously would indicate that if they are high in CS and low in percentage, they'd be high in SB allowed. I think most intelligent posters would understand that. Throw yourself in jail for a week while you're at it.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

If Burrito goes to jail for his stupidity, I'll make damn sure he serves out a life sentence!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

Thank you all for proving my point. LOL. My point being that the Sox have no flexibility in the late innings because Tek can no longer hit, run, or throw. Please count the number of situations from now through the all star break where YOU would have pinch hit or pinch run for Tek.

My point is, of course, you cant carry 3 players who only catch. But you can carry a position player who could catch in a pinch, in extra innings, if Salty got hurt after the above mentioned moves.

But for now, the Sox have two backup catchers. Prediction: BIG TRADE for a catcher who can actually catch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]That would have been VMart But since Francona carries 13 pitches, no way they can have a 3rd catcher....the bench is short enough as it is....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Yes Francona carries 13 pitchers(meaning the bench has only 3 players)...