sox need one more move

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: sox need one more move

Koji is our closer...our pen will be fine...they don't need to add anyone else...

the sox will trade a starter....by the all star break....

Victorino will leadoff...

the sox will add a bat by the Allstar break...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

sign drew....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Koji is our closer...our pen will be fine...they don't need to add anyone else...

the sox will trade a starter....by the all star break....

Victorino will leadoff...

the sox will add a bat by the Allstar break...

Not if Bogey is putting up Fred Lynn rookie season numbers.

Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

we still need to add an outfield bat. forget resigning drew, just a waste of money at this point. go with xander at ss and middy at 3rd.  bradley in center is fine, he will give us great d and we can hit him 9th. LF is where we should be looking to upgrade. I for one do not want to go another year with the gomes/nava platoon. both are weak defensively and should be not be starting. having an outfield of gomes/nava, bradley  and victorino is downright brutal. victorino is a good player, but is often injured and is having surgery this offseason. bradley is unproven and has not shown much with the bat. gomes is a lefty masher who struggles againt righties and nava only has one year of limited success. LF is the place to add a middle of the order bat. Kemp was mentioned earlier in the offseason and could be a good target, stanton would be great as well but would cost much more than kemp. outside of the those two, not really sure who else could fit the bill. The reality is that this team overachieved big time last year and i think its safe to say not very many of us thought they would go all the way. Losing ellsbury as much as the sox and many of us hate to admit it, was a big loss. the moves we have made this offseason have basically been break even ones, mujica replaced bailey/hanrahan, pierzynski replaced salty and herrera is the new back up. Add in the loss of ellsbury, and the fact of the matter is that the sox have got significantly worse. The rotation is still filled with lots of uncertainty beyond lester. If tanaka is posted, i would hope the sox take a big run at signing him. (see darvish, yu) Then pen is looking pretty good, though expecting koji to repeat what he did last year is unrealistic and if he were to regress i dont think we would want mujica closing out games. So basically the sox need to make 2 moves before the offseason ends, 1) Slugging LF (Kemp or Stanton)  2) Sign Tanaka and trade a starter (most likely dempster)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think nothing is done, for awhile. With Drew I'm going to throw all the stats out, and look at value. You signed him to a 1 year deal, 10 million, pretty sure, won the WS. Now you have the chance to get the 32-36th pick in the Draft, thats huge. Major value by signing him last year, and not signing him this year.
    Be shocked if Sox resign him. Not saying it wont happen, but Ben seems smart on things like this.
    If he is signed, the Sox have to give another QO. Just smart business, no way I'm telling him or his Agent we wont. Boras would have a huge win if we did this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Koji will be 39 years old when the season starts next year.  He was noticably worn down in the World Series and I have serious concerns myself.

Boy, that's news to me.  He had 5 appearances, 4.2 innings, and gave up 0 runs, 2 hits (a single and a double) and no walks.  

July ERA 0.00

Aug 0.00

Sept 0.64

Oct  0.67

As you can see he did nothing in August to improve on his July ERA, and went downhill in both Sept and Oct.  So technically, he was weaking, albeit from a base of 0.00.

I probably wouldn't have even posted this except I was stunned by his numbers.  It's kind of a retrospective thing, where sometimes you don't realize exactly what's happening when you're in the middle of things.

But since the end of June, Koji allowed only 1 ER in 54 IPs, with a 68/2 K/W, and allowed 19 hits in 54 IPs.

But it also should be noted that 88 IPs is by far a career high.  Glad we have Mujica around, and I would still look to see if Bailey was interested in a minor league contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Good Talent coming out next years Free Agents at SS. Ramirez, Hardy, Lowrie, Escobar. Teams mught be looking at that, including the Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I think nothing is done, for awhile. With Drew I'm going to throw all the stats out, and look at value. You signed him to a 1 year deal, 10 million, pretty sure, won the WS. Now you have the chance to get the 32-36th pick in the Draft, thats huge. Major value by signing him last year, and not signing him this year.
    Be shocked if Sox resign him. Not saying it wont happen, but Ben seems smart on things like this.
    If he is signed, the Sox have to give another QO. Just smart business, no way I'm telling him or his Agent we wont. Boras would have a huge win if we did this.

Sox only get a draft pick if he signs somewhere before the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

well lets hope he signs soon, perhaps the mets will give in and sign him. we can only hope. Still think the sox need to deal for a middle of the order bat to play in LF. this is what the line up should look like come opening day,

Victorino (we need someone with speed at the lead off spot, nava is not that guy)

pedroia (where he fits best, not really a number 3 hitter)

?

Ortiz

Napoli

Bogaerts

middlebrooks

pierzynski

bradley jr.

Ortiz and napoli are both good players, but ortiz is 38 yrs old and could regress big time without warning and napoli hit .259 last year with 187 k's. Not what you would want from a 3/4 hitter. The 5 spot is where napoli fits best. ortiz can hit in the 4 spot due to lack of better options. But we do not have anyone capable of filling the 3 spot. The only way to fill that spot is via trade. Looking forward to next years free agent class, there is not really anyone that will hit the market that would fill that need. hanley ramirez is the best hitter scheduled to hit the market, but its unlikely he will make it as the dodgers will likely resign him. Really there are two guys who would be ideal fits. Matt Kemp and Giancarlo Stanton. The reality is that the marlins will eventually have to deal stanton. He is going to get expensive soon and its unlikely he would sign a long term deal with miami. He is 24 yrs old, has big time right handed power and gets on base. The cost to acquire stanton would be massive. i think its possible to get a deal done without bogaerts, but the marlins might feel otherwise. The one knock on stanton is his ability to stay healthy. The last two years he has not played more than 123 games. I wouldnt say its a major concern, but its definitely something to keep in mind. Matt kemp on the other hand is quite a different opportunity than stanton. kemp is 29 yrs old, is much more proven, can play all 3 outfield positions, and is a better all round hitter than stanton. Like stanton, kemps health is an issue but to a much greater extent. the last 2 years kemp has be hampered by injuries and has only played a combined 179 games. Prior to that he was very durable. When healthy, kemp is a number 3 hitter with 30-35 home run power, .300 + avg, 30 sb, 30 double ability. The dodgers are looking to move him and his price is way lower than that of stanton. kemp represents an interesting option for the sox as they have the chance to buy low on him this winter. A fully healthy kemp would a) not be available or b) cost a ton to acquire. But due to the dodgers crowded outfield and kemps recent injury troubles he is on the block at a discounted price. He would be a gamble for the sox, as he may never return to his all-star form and has a hefty contract. On the other hand, he could very well return to form and the sox could end up getting  great deal. I think he is a risk worth taking, as we could potentially get him for pennies on the dollar and have our franchise player for years to come. Especially if we can get the dodgers to eat a good chunk of his contract. (which they reportedly would)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

well lets hope he signs soon, perhaps the mets will give in and sign him. we can only hope. Still think the sox need to deal for a middle of the order bat to play in LF. this is what the line up should look like come opening day,

Victorino (we need someone with speed at the lead off spot, nava is not that guy)

pedroia (where he fits best, not really a number 3 hitter)

?

Ortiz

Napoli

Bogaerts

middlebrooks

pierzynski

bradley jr.

Ortiz and napoli are both good players, but ortiz is 38 yrs old and could regress big time without warning and napoli hit .259 last year with 187 k's. Not what you would want from a 3/4 hitter. The 5 spot is where napoli fits best. ortiz can hit in the 4 spot due to lack of better options. But we do not have anyone capable of filling the 3 spot. The only way to fill that spot is via trade. Looking forward to next years free agent class, there is not really anyone that will hit the market that would fill that need. hanley ramirez is the best hitter scheduled to hit the market, but its unlikely he will make it as the dodgers will likely resign him. Really there are two guys who would be ideal fits. Matt Kemp and Giancarlo Stanton. The reality is that the marlins will eventually have to deal stanton. He is going to get expensive soon and its unlikely he would sign a long term deal with miami. He is 24 yrs old, has big time right handed power and gets on base. The cost to acquire stanton would be massive. i think its possible to get a deal done without bogaerts, but the marlins might feel otherwise. The one knock on stanton is his ability to stay healthy. The last two years he has not played more than 123 games. I wouldnt say its a major concern, but its definitely something to keep in mind. Matt kemp on the other hand is quite a different opportunity than stanton. kemp is 29 yrs old, is much more proven, can play all 3 outfield positions, and is a better all round hitter than stanton. Like stanton, kemps health is an issue but to a much greater extent. the last 2 years kemp has be hampered by injuries and has only played a combined 179 games. Prior to that he was very durable. When healthy, kemp is a number 3 hitter with 30-35 home run power, .300 + avg, 30 sb, 30 double ability. The dodgers are looking to move him and his price is way lower than that of stanton. kemp represents an interesting option for the sox as they have the chance to buy low on him this winter. A fully healthy kemp would a) not be available or b) cost a ton to acquire. But due to the dodgers crowded outfield and kemps recent injury troubles he is on the block at a discounted price. He would be a gamble for the sox, as he may never return to his all-star form and has a hefty contract. On the other hand, he could very well return to form and the sox could end up getting  great deal. I think he is a risk worth taking, as we could potentially get him for pennies on the dollar and have our franchise player for years to come. Especially if we can get the dodgers to eat a good chunk of his contract. (which they reportedly would)

i want drew in that lineup....i think he gets 2/20...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the only way signing drew makes any sense, is if we have a deal lined up for a middle of the order bat involving middlebrooks. at this point puting middy on the bench or in the minors is pointless. its make or break time for him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

the only way signing drew makes any sense, is if we have a deal lined up for a middle of the order bat involving middlebrooks. at this point puting middy on the bench or in the minors is pointless. its make or break time for him. 

You mean like...

Sign Drew.

Trade Dempster for a low to mid prospect.

Trade Middlebrooks, Nava, the prospect, and a pitching prospect or two for Stanton?

Hmm...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well, it also makes sense if the Sox decide to hold Bogaerts back for a season, as his age 27 season will probably be more valuable than his age 21 season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

How many games can Bogey play and still retain that age 27 season of team control?

Well, it also makes sense if the Sox decide to hold Bogaerts back for a season, as his age 27 season will probably be more valuable than his age 21 season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

we still need to add an outfield bat. forget resigning drew, just a waste of money at this point. go with xander at ss and middy at 3rd.  bradley in center is fine, he will give us great d and we can hit him 9th. LF is where we should be looking to upgrade. I for one do not want to go another year with the gomes/nava platoon. both are weak defensively and should be not be starting. having an outfield of gomes/nava, bradley  and victorino is downright brutal. victorino is a good player, but is often injured and is having surgery this offseason. bradley is unproven and has not shown much with the bat. gomes is a lefty masher who struggles againt righties and nava only has one year of limited success. LF is the place to add a middle of the order bat. Kemp was mentioned earlier in the offseason and could be a good target, stanton would be great as well but would cost much more than kemp. outside of the those two, not really sure who else could fit the bill. The reality is that this team overachieved big time last year and i think its safe to say not very many of us thought they would go all the way. Losing ellsbury as much as the sox and many of us hate to admit it, was a big loss. the moves we have made this offseason have basically been break even ones, mujica replaced bailey/hanrahan, pierzynski replaced salty and herrera is the new back up. Add in the loss of ellsbury, and the fact of the matter is that the sox have got significantly worse. The rotation is still filled with lots of uncertainty beyond lester. If tanaka is posted, i would hope the sox take a big run at signing him. (see darvish, yu) Then pen is looking pretty good, though expecting koji to repeat what he did last year is unrealistic and if he were to regress i dont think we would want mujica closing out games. So basically the sox need to make 2 moves before the offseason ends, 1) Slugging LF (Kemp or Stanton)  2) Sign Tanaka and trade a starter (most likely dempster)

Gomes and Nava aren't great fielders, true, but it's only LF and our LF offensive production in 2013 was 18/101/.278/.356/.434 (.790 OPS).  Only DH and 1B provided more offense last year.

What is wrong with that? How much would you be willing to pay to upgrade? $10m/year?  $15m/year?  Those two cost less than $6m/year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes at 7.7M this year and 12-12.5 for the next 2 years.

We have Dempster and Workman if something should happen.

I would take 160IP from Buch over 200IP from a lot of other more expensive pitchers. When you have the depth we have, you can take more chances than other teams. Buch is certainly worth taking that chance.

Agree... they are so deep at SP now they can roll that dice.  Its not like the SP debacle of fall 2011.

I think the Sox need one more move, and thats to find a real ML outfielder instead of depending on a rookie CF who has proven a grand total of nothing so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

How many games can Bogey play and still retain that age 27 season of team control?

Xander Bogaerts currently has 42 days of MLB service. One season typically has upwards of 180 days of service.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes at 7.7M this year and 12-12.5 for the next 2 years.

We have Dempster and Workman if something should happen.

I would take 160IP from Buch over 200IP from a lot of other more expensive pitchers. When you have the depth we have, you can take more chances than other teams. Buch is certainly worth taking that chance.

Agree... they are so deep at SP now they can roll that dice.  Its not like the SP debacle of fall 2011.

I think the Sox need one more move, and thats to find a real ML outfielder instead of depending on a rookie CF who has proven a grand total of nothing so far.

Like I have said before,  Sox fans love their prospects. 

Until the team has to play them...

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts