sox need one more move

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: sox need one more move

In response to soxyjim's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is a bother to me.i like buch but last year was shocking to me as he

took so long to come back.i just dont trust his duribility at all.

when healthy this guy is off the charts.i would like to see the sox make

a move with him and get another quality starter in his place.i just feel

that he will bite this team in the butt this year even worse.

[/QUOTE]

This will be addressed when his next contract comes up, no doubt, just as the team addressed it with Ellsbury by letting him walk rather than overpaying him. My concern is about our closer. Uehara was obviously lights out this year. But he is what-37 now? How much more is left in his tank? I would like to see the team get an elite setup man who could fill in for Koji in the event he goes down. I don't see anyone on the current staff who can do it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This will be addressed when his next contract comes up, no doubt, just as the team addressed it with Ellsbury by letting him walk rather than overpaying him. My concern is about our closer. Uehara was obviously lights out this year. But he is what-37 now? How much more is left in his tank? I would like to see the team get an elite setup man who could fill in for Koji in the event he goes down. I don't see anyone on the current staff who can do it.

[/QUOTE]

Mujica could be that guy. The guy had 37 saves (4 BS) for the Cards in 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do so many wish to trade Peavey or Demptier. We all know at some point the RS are going to need another starter. I for one would rather have Dempster in the BP and able to come and be a starter than anyone of the others who have yet to be a full time MLB starter. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see the Red Sox dump Dempster if they could so they could trade or free up some cash to pay for a player that might have more utility to them than a 6th starter.  A right-handed or switch-hitting centerfielder would be nice as a hedge against JBJ in case he stumbles, base-slealing ability a plus.  It's really not that complicated.  

The expected response might be, "You can never have enough pitching, blah, blah, blah," especially relying on a brittle Buchholz and some 30 somethings.  I get that.  But they also have Workman, whom I would be willing to bet significantly outperforms Dempster, but may not be given a full season's (nevermind post-season's) workload yet in spite of his surname.  I'm sure there's someone in the organization or a player who could be acquired on the cheap that, as a patch, may not give them much less than Dempster would.  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Why turn Dempster into a $13 million long reliever when you can potentially save some of that cash and put it to use elsewhere while getting the same production out of Workman.

Consider that we have an entire rotation's worth of pitching prospects (Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens) who have a legitimate shot at cracking the top 100 in baseball this spring and who could be ready to pitch in the majors sometime this season. This isn't 2006, when we traded a starter (the wrong one, btw...who would be complaining if we'd dumped Wells or Clement that year instead of Arroyo?) and ended up turning to the likes of Jason Johnson and Kyle Snyder by summer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd be fine with holding on to all six veteran starters until spring training and seeing what teams need pitching at that time...but I doubt we enter the season with all six unless someone suffers serious injury during that time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd be fine with holding on to all six veteran starters until spring training and seeing what teams need pitching at that time...but I doubt we enter the season with all six unless someone suffers serious injury during that time.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. That's what I've been saying. You never know when someone gets hurt in the spring. Of course, there is Workman but still. Go to spring, see what develops. There's no need to rush anything right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agree. That's what I've been saying. You never know when someone gets hurt in the spring. Of course, there is Workman but still. Go to spring, see what develops. There's no need to rush anything right now.

[/QUOTE]

No need to rush is right, but someone might step up with an offer too good to turn down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No need to rush is right, but someone might step up with an offer too good to turn down.

[/QUOTE]

Well you always take the Godfather deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats why they got Mujica PG. He had like 37 saves last year, has a solid BB/K and shows great control.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mujiced01.shtml

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats why they got Mujica PG. He had like 37 saves last year, has a solid BB/K and shows great control.

[/QUOTE]

He also has the 11th best WHIP by a relief pitcher since 2010 (out of 213 qualiftying RP'ers). Uehara is 1st.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He also has the 11th best WHIP by a relief pitcher since 2010 (out of 213 qualiftying RP'ers). Uehara is 1st.

[/QUOTE]

We probably have 2 of the better back of the bullpen guys now. Badenhop is supposed to have solid control and very steady numbers too. I really like what Ben did with the pen this offseason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Koji will be 39 years old when the season starts next year.  He was noticably worn down in the World Series and I have serious concerns myself.  I am hoping deep down inside that we can pick up Bailey and have him come back to the club half way through next year to keep Koji's numbers down to end the year.  I also think that Bailey is the best pitcher who is recovering from injury who is a free agent right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Mujica is Koji's BU plan in 2014. Bailey would be nice if he can be had  for a 1M w/incentives type deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Koji will be 39 years old when the season starts next year.  He was noticably worn down in the World Series and I have serious concerns myself.  I am hoping deep down inside that we can pick up Bailey and have him come back to the club half way through next year to keep Koji's numbers down to end the year.  I also think that Bailey is the best pitcher who is recovering from injury who is a free agent right now.

I'm not overly concerned about Uehara's health and stamina. If we managae his workload well, we should be fine, but let's assume he goes on the DL, is this so bad?

Closer: Mujica 37/41 saves this year and 11th best WHIP since 2012 (out of 213 RP'ers)

Set up: Breslow under 1.17 WHIP for 2 years & 2nd half '13  0.65 ERA/ 0.976 WHIP

Set up: Tazawa 34th out of 213 RP'ers in WHIP since 2010 & under 1.10 WHIP '12-'13 combined

Middle relief: Dempster, Badenhop, Miller, Workman, and Britton

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dempster is a bum who should not come anywhere near our SR this year. There are better options. If we can unload his salary for a bag of golf balls I would do it. That way we can obtain someone who actually has some value with that money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not overly concerned about Uehara's health and stamina. If we managae his workload well, we should be fine, but let's assume he goes on the DL, is this so bad?

Closer: Mujica 37/41 saves this year and 11th best WHIP since 2012 (out of 213 RP'ers)

Set up: Breslow under 1.17 WHIP for 2 years & 2nd half '13  0.65 ERA/ 0.976 WHIP

Set up: Tazawa 34th out of 213 RP'ers in WHIP since 2010 & under 1.10 WHIP '12-'13 combined

Middle relief: Dempster, Badenhop, Miller, Workman, and Britton

[/QUOTE]

Workman should be given a fair shot to start. I think his stuff is better suited in that role. This might be the year RDLR is given a chance in the majors in the pen, hopefully in place of Dempster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Koji will be 39 years old when the season starts next year.  He was noticably worn down in the World Series and I have serious concerns myself.

[/QUOTE]

Boy, that's news to me.  He had 5 appearances, 4.2 innings, and gave up 0 runs, 2 hits (a single and a double) and no walks.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

He definitely appeared visibly worn out at times, and I believe stated as much post-game after the ALCS and WS wins. But his performance sure did not show it.

In any case, Ben did very well by bringing in Mujica for closer insurance. We have the makings of a very strong bullpen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

He definitely appeared visibly worn out at times, and I believe stated as much post-game after the ALCS and WS wins. But his performance sure did not show it.

In any case, Ben did very well by bringing in Mujica for closer insurance. We have the makings of a very strong bullpen.

[/QUOTE]

We'll see. He brought in Bailey and Hanrahan too-guys who most of us had high expectations for, and look how they turned out. I like the BP moves, but I also know that more so than other positions in baseball, the pen is a crapshoot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We'll see. He brought in Bailey and Hanrahan too-guys who most of us had high expectations for, and look how they turned out. I like the BP moves, but I also know that more so than other positions in baseball, the pen is a crapshoot.

[/QUOTE]

I didnt have high expectations for them. I knew that hanny was a gamble and probably not a good move. If you looked at his stats, there were red flags. With bailey, Im not sure how anyone could have high expectations with a guy who hasnt been healthy in years.

I feel much better about Koji and Mujica than I ever did with Hanrahan and Bailey.

But, like you said...The BP is mostly a crapshoot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dempster is a bum who should not come anywhere near our SR this year. There are better options. If we can unload his salary for a bag of golf balls I would do it. That way we can obtain someone who actually has some value with that money.

[/QUOTE]
    IMO you're confusing two things - Dempster's contribution and his salary.

He had a very respectable (for a #5) 4.57 ERA. He pitched 171 innings in 29 starts, averaging 5.9 innings per start and giving up an average of three runs per start.  He keeps his team in the game and gives them a chance to win it.

From what I hear he's also a great clubhouse guy - something the FO put a lot of stock in going into the '13 season. 

If you want to say that he's paid too much money to do it that's fine and probably undeniable, but I'll take 3 runs in ~6 innings per start every day from my #5 pitcher.  Dempster is hardly a "bum". 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    IMO you're confusing two things - Dempster's contribution and his salary.

He had a very respectable (for a #5) 4.57 ERA. He pitched 171 innings in 29 starts, averaging 5.9 innings per start and giving up an average of three runs per start.  He keeps his team in the game and gives them a chance to win it.

From what I hear he's also a great clubhouse guy - something the FO put a lot of stock in going into the '13 season. 

If you want to say that he's paid too much money to do it that's fine and probably undeniable, but I'll take 3 runs in ~6 innings per start every day from my #5 pitcher.  Dempster is hardly a "bum". 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and now to think he's our 6th starter really speaks to our depth, albiet expensive depth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well you always take the Godfather deal.

[/QUOTE]

Basing on what Morales brought in return don't think anyone is going to blow RS away w/ offer for Peavy or Dempster right now. Wait til FA's have signed and hope someone did not get what they wanted or wait til spring or season underway sure someone will go down w/ injury then RS might get something good in return. But remember that both Peavy and Dempster are under contract for 1 yr, which will greatly reduce return. Don't expect some wonderful prospect in return. Which might explain why Ben might just keep for insurance purposes. Remember all the starts made by Webster /Wright / Morales / Aceves last year. Might be nice that we could go Dempster/Workman/Webster/Raunado/Barnes possibly this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did notice that in the WS that Koji seemed to be throwing more pitches than during the season, but I'm not sure if he was worn down or just being more careful with a solid Cards line-up. The thought that he might be worn by then did cross my mind as well but even though he threw more pitches the end result was the same. 

Hetch

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did notice that in the WS that Koji seemed to be throwing more pitches than during the season, but I'm not sure if he was worn down or just being more careful with a solid Cards line-up. The thought that he might be worn by then did cross my mind as well but even though he threw more pitches the end result was the same. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]
    I'll have to admit that he worried me a bit in the playoffs.  In the regular season everything he threw was at the bottom of the zone but when the playoffs came the ball was up more.  IMO it happened so quickly that I don't think he was worn down, I rather think that the pressure of the playoffs got to him just a little bit.

But... all's well that ends well.  He's the closer going into 2014.  It's still his job to lose.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I know we picked up Mujica and Badenhop. We know from past experience you never have enough pitching.

Sign Balfour to an incentive laden contract that would get him his $7 M. with no strings attached--no QO next year---and have the SHUTDOWN PEN this year that other teams would fear.

Give the kids another year to grow in a rotation of their own with the PawSox with some good BP depth in Britton and RDLR. If we have injuries so be it--we'll use the kids.

I think we can go with Xander, WMB and Herrera on the left side. JBJ in CF and let the chips fall where they may. We have some good back up pieces and there are plenty of players out there we can sign if we get desperate.

Sections
Shortcuts